Author Topic: Front page of the site is up for sale?? Bugs?  (Read 7459 times)

AngryButler with a KNIFE!

• Warrant Officer
Front page of the site is up for sale?? Bugs?
« on: 05 August 2019, 04:12:00 »
Just noticed after a tip from a friend who was wondering about why there didn't seem to be any news about the kickstarter. Which seems odd as I know there was updates on the site...

https://www.battletech.com/
Works, but the Archives on the front page haven't been updated since January 2019. Even if you click on the 'News' link, it only shows up to January. In fact, bouncing around this version, nothing since January pops up.

http://www.classicbattletech.com/
Seems to have gone Missing In Action entirely, with nothing left. Or at least I might have missed the memo about 'Classic' prefix being removed.

https://www.catalystgamelabs.com/battletech/
If you click on the Battletech logo, it shoots you straight to the first one I mentioned, not updated since January 2019. Still shows Herb as Line Developer.

https://bg.battletech.com/
Works, and is fully updated, all the way to news about the Kickstarter, but....a normal Google search, points straight towards the Steam page, the Catalyst Game Labs link, or directly to the PC game's page. Which makes the tabletop version look rather dated. This also happens to be the URL I have bookmarked, and normally use to jump straight to. Probably why I was going WTF when my friend asked.

On my PC, it has the 'bg' version as either the 5th or 6th link, likely because Chrome is showing the pro-sites first, and then knows my preferences. However if I use my cellphone, which I don't think I've ever visited the site on, and don't have linked to my google profile, the 'bg' link doesn't even hit the top ten links/not even on the front page of links.
I love my Wiesel XII. Yes, yes I do.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
Re: Front page of the site is up for sale?? Bugs?
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2019, 07:45:43 »

https://www.battletech.com/
Works, but the Archives on the front page haven't been updated since January 2019. Even if you click on the 'News' link, it only shows up to January.

Correct.

http://www.classicbattletech.com/
Seems to have gone Missing In Action entirely, with nothing left. Or at least I might have missed the memo about 'Classic' prefix being removed.

You missed the memo. Using classic is dead for branding purposes.

https://bg.battletech.com/
Works, and is fully updated, all the way to news about the Kickstarter, but....a normal Google search, points straight towards the Steam page, the Catalyst Game Labs link, or directly to the PC game's page. Which makes the tabletop version look rather dated. This also happens to be the URL I have bookmarked, and normally use to jump straight to. Probably why I was going WTF when my friend asked.

Not sure i understand the question.

On my PC, it has the 'bg' version as either the 5th or 6th link, likely because Chrome is showing the pro-sites first, and then knows my preferences. However if I use my cellphone, which I don't think I've ever visited the site on, and don't have linked to my google profile, the 'bg' link doesn't even hit the top ten links/not even on the front page of links.

Again, not sure what the question is. Also, which website is for sale?
The solution is just ignore Paul.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 05 August 2019, 07:56:54 »
Not sure i understand the question.

He’s saying of you do a Google search for BattleTech, the only tabletop BattleTech link you get is to the outdated www.battletech.com, not bg.battletech.com.

Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 05 August 2019, 09:09:45 »
SEO only gets you so much.

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 05 August 2019, 19:31:27 »
He’s saying of you do a Google search for BattleTech, the only tabletop BattleTech link you get is to the outdated www.battletech.com, not bg.battletech.com.
^
This

If you go to the first link that a Google search gives you, other than the Steam page, it takes you to an outdated version of the website. None of the links in it are up to date at all, and you can't even get to the updated site anywhere from that original link. I can't find a single link in it that leads to the correct bg.battletech.com page.

It's only if you go to the second page of a Google search that the correct/updated page even shows up. Aka, anyone who hasn't done a search for it before will be directed to the old/defunct page. It's only if you already have linked prior preferences with Google, that it will know to highlight the 'bg' version of the page, which is the updated page that has everything from January onwards to the currently newest update about the 'Clan Invasion LIVE' notice.

It comes across as if nothing has happened since January, no news, no previews of upcoming events/titles, nothing. Mostly because when looking at big name sites, most searchers will only look at the first links Google brings up in a list. It's rather odd that a sub-domain page actually has all the updates, but the main page is outdated.

-

The 'classicbattletech.com' link brings up a dead page that says the domain is up for sale. But that was answered as no longer being used anymore.

-

Yeah, SEO is hit or miss at times.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 05 August 2019, 20:03:27 »
The website’s actuality matches the investment.

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: 05 August 2019, 21:09:53 »
SEO only gets you so much.

If the site is dead it should be shut down and the server should deliver a 503 redirect. Once Google sees that it should change the search results.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 05 August 2019, 21:28:13 »
If the site is dead it should be shut down and the server should deliver a 503 redirect.

Not our domain anymore.

Once Google sees that it should change the search results.

Not the problem that's described.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 05 August 2019, 22:16:52 »
Who's owns battletech.com now?

And there are plenty of links that work there.  Clicking on "BattleTech Board Game" brings you right to bg.battletech.com and the CGL store brings you right to catalysts store.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 05 August 2019, 22:38:00 »
Ok, not sure where things got confusing.
Classic BT is gone.
Regular battletech.com is not.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 05 August 2019, 23:46:45 »
i googled 'battletech' and got

1) the game on steam
2) the game's website
3) BattleTech's wikipedia page
4) the CGL.com site, which is horribly outdated
5) bg.battletech.com
6) battletech.com

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 06 August 2019, 19:31:40 »
Ok, not sure where things got confusing.
Classic BT is gone.
Regular battletech.com is not.
To be fair, I'm not sure where they're getting confused.

Battletechgame.com = Turn-based PC game. Fully updated.
Store.steampowered.com/app/637090/BATTLETECH/ = Steam version of the above page.
Catalystgamelabs.com/battletech/ = Very outdated page.
Battletech.com = Tabletop. Technically is the main site, but for some reason it's giving outdated links from January 2019.
Classicbattletech.com = NO LONGER USED (Paul explained this in his first reply to me). This is the one that shows up as 'for sale'.
BG.Battletech.com = ACTUALLY the main site, with fully updated links. But you have to type in 'BG dot Battletech dot com' or it gives the outdated site. I'm guessing BG = boardgame?

That's the order in Safari, Google (Chrome), and Firefox, that I get now, with my preferences on/logged in.

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: 06 August 2019, 19:48:58 »
Not our domain anymore.

I was referring to battletech.com which is the domain that this site runs from so its possible to do a redirect from the root to a subdomain. Certainly not optimal and not recommended but doable

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 06 August 2019, 21:22:35 »
Battletechgame.com = Turn-based PC game. Fully updated.

Run by HBS, not CGL.

Store.steampowered.com/app/637090/BATTLETECH/ = Steam version of the above page.

Run by Steam/Valve, not CGL.

Catalystgamelabs.com/battletech/ = Very outdated page.
Battletech.com = Tabletop. Technically is the main site, but for some reason it's giving outdated links from January 2019.

Yes, because no one has updated those pages. The actuality matches the budget.

BG.Battletech.com = ACTUALLY the main site, with fully updated links. But you have to type in 'BG dot Battletech dot com' or it gives the outdated site. I'm guessing BG = boardgame?

Yep. I think we started that nearly 10 years ago.

That's the order in Safari, Google (Chrome), and Firefox, that I get now, with my preferences on/logged in.

It is what it is.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #14 on: 06 August 2019, 21:48:50 »
Okay, I think this has been answered and doesn't need to be debated to death in here.

Register