Author Topic: How nasty should a Trial of Position be?  (Read 398 times)

Charistoph

• Major
How nasty should a Trial of Position be?
« on: 09 January 2024, 21:56:04 »
So, I'm going to be starting a Clan-based open campaign this Friday.

The first scenario is the Trial of Position.  I'm setting up so I can handle a fair few at the same time, even though they are usually done 2-3 at a time.  I'm going to be setting up positions by cards.  Players will pick a card to go with the position, and then use that card as a type of Initiative from there.  The first player who is drawn will be the one who rolls Intiative between them and me.  I will be moving their Trial Mechs based on that card draw as well, even if it goes in to Melee.

Anyway, that isn't the point of this post and question, just setting up the scenario.

Since I don't have enough models to run everyone through the same thing without proxying (something I have tried to avoid since I have enough models on normal nights, more or less), and I want to give them a "balanced" force so that one isn't totally boned by having a bad draw, I went through and made a spreadsheet that listed what Mechs would be available for the time frame.  I then had it give me the Average BV for everything there.  I then had it show me which ones were within 10% of that Average, and then pick from there based on what I have.  (I seem to have a dearth of Heavies available for this time frame, oddly.)

Am I working this too hard, or is there a better pattern to be looking at to set up this Trial of Position?
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
Re: How nasty should a Trial of Position be?
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2024, 00:44:06 »
The lore is lighter equal heavier in terms of tonnage. Or maybe it’s weight class, raw tonnage is probably not too much of a concern for clan warriors.

Unless you are Phelan Kell or a free birth in clan Jade Falcon they want more warriors, so they don’t baby them but they aren’t gonna be hyper optimized (imo).

I had my brother run me through a ToP with me in an Executioner. I think it was Stormcrow C, Gargoyle A, and Direwolf B. Having each mech be balanced in BV against the player even in a series of 1v1 fights would be difficult for the player. Ideally equal(ish) BV means 50/50 chance of each side winning. First mech should beat them up but die, the second should be an achievement and the third a big deal.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2024, 00:48:42 by Kerfuffin(925) »
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Charistoph

• Major
Re: How nasty should a Trial of Position be?
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2024, 01:01:35 »
They are able to choose a Medium or Heavy of their choice.  They know they will be going up against a Medium, Heavy, and Assault.

But there is a difference between going against a Corvis and a Shadow Cat B, or a Rifleman IIC 2 and a Warhammer C 3, or a Gargoyle Prime and a Stone Rhino.

Interestingly what comes up in the middle can be nasty enough like the Conjurer 7 and Stormcrow D, a Timber Wolf B and a Mad Dog B, or a Marauder IIC 9.

It's not so much I'm worried about giving them a balanced fight between the 3 they are facing and what they bring, but that each one will be facing a trio that is roughly within the same ball park of BV for each group.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem