Author Topic: Mechwarrior second edition  (Read 4905 times)

Emrick

Mechwarrior second edition
« on: 24 March 2011, 18:11:04 »
Does anyone know a list of Mechwarrior second edition books that are compatible and add new content?

So far I only found:

Mechwarrior second edition
Mechwarrior second edition companion

I think second edition is the best because of simplicity. There are enough rules as it is. Third edition was a nightmare!

Nodachi

• Sergeant
Re: Mechwarrior second edition
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2011, 18:16:29 »
Third had it's issues, but my group ran into the problem of mechwarriors being good inside the machine but not so great out side with 2nd. AToW is a better fit for what my group wants, my GM for AToW rants and raves that it's everything he wanted. I just feel that we can do a campaign without house rules now.

Grim_Reaper

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2011, 18:21:37 »
sounds like your players spent all thier points on thier mech skills and not thinking to balance out thier abilities.

in that kind of situation theres plenty of archtypes to have chosen from from the various publications.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2011, 21:49:01 »
Royalty and Rogues
Bloodright
Null Set
Living Legends
The Black Thorns(?)
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2011, 22:01:59 »
The one with VDNI and the PrometheusUnbound?

-Jackmc

Nodachi

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2011, 22:24:07 »
sounds like your players spent all thier points on thier mech skills and not thinking to balance out thier abilities.

in that kind of situation theres plenty of archtypes to have chosen from from the various publications.

Not really, we went with the archtypes for the first 2nd ed. game. We could handle ourselves outside of a mech. Just not to the degree we wanted. The last game we did with 2nd, the GM gave us extra points to buy additional skills. Everyone was much happier with that game. Learned to love the gyroslug rifle in that one.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #6 on: 27 March 2011, 22:59:37 »
I think second edition is the best because of simplicity. There are enough rules as it is. Third edition was a nightmare!
They all had their quirks and their strongpoints.
I agree that MW2E strong point was simplicity.
It allowed for quick creation of characters that spent most their time in the mechs but could still do some "roleplay" outside them.

It is also a nice option for fleshing out Unit NPCs w/o getting into the massive creation point & tables of 1E or 3E

We used MW2E as the basis for a Clan Wolf campaign and I admit to absolutely tweeking Rexor to being a God in the mech since most of it was BT playing, but outside it he was average at best, mostly below average.

Third had it's issues, but my group ran into the problem of mechwarriors being good inside the machine but not so great out side with 2nd. AToW is a better fit for what my group wants, my GM for AToW rants and raves that it's everything he wanted. I just feel that we can do a campaign without house rules now.
That was our issue, but frankly we wanted it that way, the MW2E part was an extention of the main BT play.
MW2E made for some very limited skill selections but it had the nice method of "untrained" default rolling for worst 2 of 3 that you could use for just about anything.

Royalty and Rogues
Bloodright
Null Set
Living Legends
The Black Thorns(?)
To those I would add the Falcon & Wolf IIRC as well as all the Field Manuals.

Not really, we went with the archtypes for the first 2nd ed. game. We could handle ourselves outside of a mech. Just not to the degree we wanted. The last game we did with 2nd, the GM gave us extra points to buy additional skills. Everyone was much happier with that game. Learned to love the gyroslug rifle in that one.
I found that after you covered the "basic-2" of P/G it was best to just buy as many L1 skills as you could to avoid the "untrained" option and to go w/ the best Attributes you could at creation for lower #s from the start.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2011, 04:33:16 »
To those I would add the Falcon & Wolf IIRC as well as all the Field Manuals.

The field manuals converted to MW3 as of Capellan Confederation, IIRC
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2011, 12:46:50 »

That's actually Stackpole's fault for giving us an exceptionally talented supporting cast.  I remember being serously bumemd the first time I made a MW character and realized he wasn't as good with a pistol as that one dude in the Warrior trilogy.

-Jackmc

Tempus

• Sergeant
  • Gizzled vet and 2D10 Heretic
« Reply #9 on: 29 March 2011, 01:58:51 »
2nd ed was ok as long as you build your character with 30 points of attributes.. then they rock.  never try to build with less, you are just robbing yourself.

Frankly I think it was badly broken and unbalanced and we had more house rules for it than almost any game I've played.   I made my feelings known in the other thread so won't do in depth repeating myself here.
C4 trumps 4 Aces

Grim_Reaper

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 29 March 2011, 05:17:12 »
They all had their quirks and their strongpoints.
I agree that MW2E strong point was simplicity.
It allowed for quick creation of characters that spent most their time in the mechs but could still do some "roleplay" outside them.

It is also a nice option for fleshing out Unit NPCs w/o getting into the massive creation point & tables of 1E or 3E
or if those NPCs were a 'one time encounter' only meant to be some kind of obstical like guards, thugs, police, etc. then you could just use Battletroops to represent them as that was anothe rgreat strength of 2nd ed; its compatability with both Battletroops and Battletech without the need for any real conversion

Tslammer

• Sergeant
  • 2D10 Heretic
« Reply #11 on: 29 March 2011, 10:27:16 »
2nd ed was ok as long as you build your character with 30 points of attributes.. then they rock.  never try to build with less, you are just robbing yourself.

Frankly I think it was badly broken and unbalanced and we had more house rules for it than almost any game I've played.   I made my feelings known in the other thread so won't do in depth repeating myself here.
I agree that MW2 took the most effort to fix. But  it was not that much more work (number of house rules and mark one CPU time) than fixing the  problems of MW3. MW4 took less work than fixing MW3 but the ground work done on MW3 paved the way for MW4.

MW4 is in my opinion the cleanest out of box of the MW systems but it still has its flaws and problems. Most of which we have fixed or flat out avoided with the MW3 Solaris modified combat system (house rules again).

Register