Author Topic: Don Quixote recoilless rifle  (Read 1561 times)

Emcha

• Sergeant
Don Quixote recoilless rifle
« on: 15 January 2020, 08:37:40 »
I kind of have this idea, and i need some critique on how possibly broke it might be:

manufactured by United Outworlders Corporation, the Don Quixote takes ultralight materials and weight-saving construction techniques normally found in conventional fighters, and marries it to a shell normally used in heavy recoilless rifles. the result is a lighter recoilless rifle that hits like a heavy, albeit at a greatly reduced range, and with most the drawbacks of a heavy recoilless rifle.

though undeniably handy and powerful, the short range, large backblast, and incredibly high pricetag ensured this weapon never saw widespread use outside of a few very dedicated clients, who swear by the weapon.

Item:Recoilles Rifle, Light
Equipment Rating: X-X-D
Armor Piercing/Base Damage: (E)
Range: 55/200/335/560 meters
Shots: 1
Cost/Reload: 10,000/*
Affiliation: -
Mass/Reload: 12kg/4kg
Notes: Encumbering; Backblast 10m

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Re: Don Quixote recoilless rifle
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2020, 14:42:12 »
Oh. You mean; it's a Carl Gustav M3/4?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Emcha

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2020, 15:00:33 »
i mean that's pretty much what i ended up making. although i only arrived there accidentally as it just so happens the carl gustav's average shell weight is the same weight as a heavy recoiless rifle's, and the weapon itself is 14kg, while the M4 version is like 8kg.

I imagine it looks more like a snub-nosed M20 though.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2020, 18:10:46 »
Do you have the AToW Companion?  It has the conversion rules for AToW scale to TW.  At TW scale, it's about on par with the SRM Launcher (Heavy).

Emcha

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2020, 20:12:03 »
Do the conversions change the ammunition weight?  Because that's one of the main advantages of the heavy recoilless rifle, three shells weigh only two kg more than a single SRM. The other advantage is it can fire different ammo types.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 15 January 2020, 20:40:44 »
SRMs can too, and the regular launcher does more damage because it has 2 shots instead of 1...

Emcha

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 15 January 2020, 22:00:33 »
SRMs can too, and the regular launcher does more damage because it has 2 shots instead of 1...

Then I guess the main drawback to SRMs is the missiles weigh 10kg a piece.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2020, 04:24:11 »
Or 8, depending on the launcher...