Author Topic: SSW Force Balancer questions  (Read 3912 times)

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
SSW Force Balancer questions
« on: 13 February 2011, 09:55:58 »
Skyhigh,

Do you guys have a tutorial for the Force Balancer?  I've been using it and it works fine.  But, I'm finding I have to manually 'hand tweak' things to get them to even out.  What I'm looking for is the ability to put in two different forces, and push a button and have the overall BV's match for a pick-up game.  Does the program have that ability and I'm just not finding it?

Also, what is the 'force size modifier'?

"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round...

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

Cyttorak

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
  • CPLT-K2, now with more beef!
Re: SSW Force Balancer questions
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2011, 13:40:05 »
"Force size modifier" is a BV multiplier applied to forces of unequal size, due to the advantages mainly when winning initiative. It comes from Tech Manual, p. 314:

Force Modifier = (S/L) + (L/S) -1; multiply this number by the Larger force's BV to get the size-modified BV. "S" and "L" are the total number of units on that side for the "Smaller" and "Larger" forces.

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2011, 14:30:56 »
So, is there a way to throw in a handful of units, pick what level of experience (green/regular/veteren/elite) and 'push a button' and have it churn out balanced BV for two forces?

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

Cyttorak

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
  • CPLT-K2, now with more beef!
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2011, 21:25:18 »
No idea...I don't actually use SSW. I just saw your question about Force Multiplier and knew the answer.

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2011, 22:32:16 »
No idea...I don't actually use SSW. I just saw your question about Force Multiplier and knew the answer.

I appreciate it.  :)

So far, I've been able to save 'rosters' sort of like the way I saved them in Heavy Metal.  The only thing is, it isn't completely intuitive and there isn't much on the website as far as what to do with it.

Skyhigh

• Master Sergeant
    • Solaris Skunkwerks
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2011, 13:23:14 »
Do you guys have a tutorial for the Force Balancer?  I've been using it and it works fine.  But, I'm finding I have to manually 'hand tweak' things to get them to even out.  What I'm looking for is the ability to put in two different forces, and push a button and have the overall BV's match for a pick-up game.  Does the program have that ability and I'm just not finding it?

The closest I have to a tutorial is (http://bfb.solarisskunkwerks.com/) and I did make a vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uuk2nYKeV4)  though it's now woefully out of date.

There is not any auto-balance feature.   You can have the skills auto-generated and you can re-generate them anytime you want...but you have to decide how you want them balanced.

You can have all 'Mechs in a single force auto-balanced to a specific BV.  To do that click the triangle icon above a force

then enter the limits you want on the dialog that opens

And then you will see that the G/P will be auto-selected for each 'Mech to get as close to the max as possible without going over.  I used 2000 as my max BV

I don't have anything like this for the force as a whole though.

If you have any other questions email me skyhigh@solarisskunkwerks.com

BFB is my baby and I use it every week to setup my games.

Register