Poll

Which "era" do you believe would be best to start an RPG in?

The Age of War (2398 – 2570) The time of the Terran Hegemony and "civilized" warfare between the Inner Sphere houses. The first BattleMech is created.
Star League (2571 - 2780) The time when the Star League reached the height of its power and was destroyed by the Amaris Coup.
Early SW (2781 – 2900) When the Great Houses vied for supremacy and many of the advances of the Star League disappeared as LosTech.
Late SW (2901 – 3049) When the Great Houses vied for supremacy and many of the advances of the Star League disappeared as LosTech.
Clan Invasion (3050 – 3061) The time between the beginning of the Clan Invasion and the Inner Sphere's victory at the Great Refusal.
Civil War (3062 – 3067) The years in the shadow of the Federated Commonwealth Civil War.
Early Jihad (3068 – 3070) The time when the Word of Blake unleashed its Jihad.
Republic/Dark Age (3081 - onward)

Author Topic: Anyone up for joining an AToW RPG merc group?  (Read 4132 times)

Kristan Dagley

• Private
Anyone up for joining an AToW RPG merc group?
« on: 01 September 2018, 21:00:37 »
Looking for players for an AToW RPG mercenary unit campaign. Willing to allow the chosen play-base to decide on initial starting era. I have also made an excel spreadsheet for character development and tracking that needs to be tested.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Re: Anyone up for joining an AToW RPG merc group?
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2018, 00:29:58 »
I might be interested. You say you can run ATOW through MegaMek?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2018, 00:37:10 »
I'm interested as well. I'd prefer closer to the current timeline than to the beginning, but I'm cool with anything.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2018, 02:25:41 »
I'm provisionally interested, but I suspect my timezone (AEST) would be problematic
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2018, 07:02:05 »
I'd be interested if the era was 3rd or 4th Succession War...

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2018, 08:56:46 »
I'm open to getting more information, at least. My schedule is pretty packed, but I can see.
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2018, 10:46:41 »
I would be interested, but it would depend on when we play and how long. I am not familiar with much after the FC civil war.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

jedidino

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2018, 14:53:13 »
Never played AToW before but it sounds fun to me.  I'd give it go.

Phalanx

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2018, 15:12:05 »
Been looking for an RP group since I started watching Death From Above and A Time of Total Warfare.

Would be open to any setting OTHER than Dark Age Era(Yes even Age of War.  :D).

What kind of schedule are you planning for sessions?

Statesman:  Our Warlord.

Warlord:  Your Statesman.

-Liaofan

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2018, 16:22:40 »
Depending on details I would be interested.

I would be interested in Jihad era or later mostly, but anything with a good plot would work.
Quote from: Nanaki
Realism is not going to cut it, Battletech is not a realistic universe by any stretch of the imagination, so please stop using it in an argument.

Quote from: HABeas2
That's debatable, but let's face it; some folks gave them a pass because they were big and claimed to be Scottish.

Kristan Dagley

• Private
« Reply #10 on: 02 September 2018, 22:06:15 »
Currently I live in Eastern Canada where the timezone is -4 UTC.

I am looking for at least one, but preferably two players (backups are always welcome) that would be willing to record sessions on their end for later Youtube uploading so that we might share our adventures. Although videos would not come out until perhaps even several months later since I would like to develop a bank of them so they could be uploaded on a more regular schedule. This won't be a full scale production affair but geared towards low budget with an emphasis on fun and community involvement. Videos probably would not be edited unless someone wishes to do so or provide an "opening"/"closing" for us. The GM cannot record as it might give away information or plot lines while managing events. The GM would also act as all OpFor (and some friendly NPC's) in any conflicts involving non-infantry units fought via MegaMek, but might allow for special community guests. Other "combat" involving individuals outside of vehicles would just be story driven with a few maps ideally available for visual appeal.

The plan is to start slow (low commitment), have perhaps one to three sessions a month of no more than 2-3 hours maximum with rather short missions (contracts) to work out any wrinkles, make sure connections and recording is working, flesh out likes/dislikes, allow the GM time for map making / story creation, and work together to solve any glitches and speed up play-ability. This would not of course include any commitment in terms of correspondence times between the GM and players about their wishes, goals, etc. This would be more of a prequel or prelude period before starting more in earnest and more in-depth contracts and story lines. "A Tutorial Period."

Just like "Death From Above" I am considering making the RPG "perma-death" to elicit more emotion and team spirit out of the player base and to allow for "new blood" who apply to be brought in to make this a potentially community active event. That said even, "the dead" can come back as a guest now and then (as an OpFor character) but everyone gets one shot at the mercenary billets once the training wheels are off. The GM will not be "out to get you" and gunning for only this or that person, but will be striving to make realistic battle scenarios and story lines with conditions that from time to time can put the players in real extremely serious situations that they have to make decisions on when to cut an run. Life isn't all "happy endings' and mission ideas will be generated sometimes using real events, thus no win scenarios are a potential thing, but an "out" will always be present, just maybe not immediately noticeably. Use caution and brains, prancing through a minefield for example won't let you live very long.

I won't give my opinion on Dark Age here, I will try to stay neutral, and am open to addressing all eras, but I will at least say given this RPG aims to show a timely progression of sorts a later starting point isn't the best option here as it leaves less room for growth, likewise too early doesn't allow for as much connection with the main BattleTech story arcs we all know and love.

I will add a poll to my original post, so please pick your preferred era.

I am planning for an initial player base of perhaps 4-6, with a max of 8 in case we get dropouts or folks that cannot commit. Webcams are not necessary, and probably won't be used, but we must be able to talk, so arranging a Discord or Team Speak 3 channel means a mic is mandatory.

Eventually I will begin PMing individuals to give them access to an excel spreadsheet for character creation applications, if you posted your name here as interested and don't get a PM right away don't panic, and if you get to create a character but aren't chosen first thing don't panic, I intend to expand operations a little moving forward and with character deaths inevitable I will be happy to have a number of character "resumes" on file. I will be going back to this thread often moving forward and contacting others over time.

Likewise I will be going over any character applications to check against AToW rules and will keep an open mind, but someone inevitably will be a lance leader. The merc unit has already been mostly flushed out with an NPC supporting cast and is just looking to hire the player base.
« Last Edit: 02 September 2018, 22:29:31 by Kristan Dagley »

BlackJesus1001

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: 03 September 2018, 07:28:06 »
Would definitely be interested as far as timeline goes I prefer mid timeline starts around Clan invasion/Civil war for a starting period because I like tech progression instead of just starting out with all the toys.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #12 on: 03 September 2018, 07:42:56 »
Sounds great, but I am in the wrong timezone and have nil experience with online gaming :) Have fun guys! if you put the links up I'll watch them!

Phalanx

• Corporal
« Reply #13 on: 03 September 2018, 20:43:49 »
Currently I live in Eastern Canada where the timezone is -4 UTC.

I am looking for at least one, but preferably two players (backups are always welcome) that would be willing to record sessions on their end for later Youtube uploading so that we might share our adventures. Although videos would not come out until perhaps even several months later since I would like to develop a bank of them so they could be uploaded on a more regular schedule. This won't be a full scale production affair but geared towards low budget with an emphasis on fun and community involvement. Videos probably would not be edited unless someone wishes to do so or provide an "opening"/"closing" for us. The GM cannot record as it might give away information or plot lines while managing events. The GM would also act as all OpFor (and some friendly NPC's) in any conflicts involving non-infantry units fought via MegaMek, but might allow for special community guests. Other "combat" involving individuals outside of vehicles would just be story driven with a few maps ideally available for visual appeal.

The plan is to start slow (low commitment), have perhaps one to three sessions a month of no more than 2-3 hours maximum with rather short missions (contracts) to work out any wrinkles, make sure connections and recording is working, flesh out likes/dislikes, allow the GM time for map making / story creation, and work together to solve any glitches and speed up play-ability. This would not of course include any commitment in terms of correspondence times between the GM and players about their wishes, goals, etc. This would be more of a prequel or prelude period before starting more in earnest and more in-depth contracts and story lines. "A Tutorial Period."

Just like "Death From Above" I am considering making the RPG "perma-death" to elicit more emotion and team spirit out of the player base and to allow for "new blood" who apply to be brought in to make this a potentially community active event. That said even, "the dead" can come back as a guest now and then (as an OpFor character) but everyone gets one shot at the mercenary billets once the training wheels are off. The GM will not be "out to get you" and gunning for only this or that person, but will be striving to make realistic battle scenarios and story lines with conditions that from time to time can put the players in real extremely serious situations that they have to make decisions on when to cut an run. Life isn't all "happy endings' and mission ideas will be generated sometimes using real events, thus no win scenarios are a potential thing, but an "out" will always be present, just maybe not immediately noticeably. Use caution and brains, prancing through a minefield for example won't let you live very long.

I won't give my opinion on Dark Age here, I will try to stay neutral, and am open to addressing all eras, but I will at least say given this RPG aims to show a timely progression of sorts a later starting point isn't the best option here as it leaves less room for growth, likewise too early doesn't allow for as much connection with the main BattleTech story arcs we all know and love.

I will add a poll to my original post, so please pick your preferred era.

I am planning for an initial player base of perhaps 4-6, with a max of 8 in case we get dropouts or folks that cannot commit. Webcams are not necessary, and probably won't be used, but we must be able to talk, so arranging a Discord or Team Speak 3 channel means a mic is mandatory.

Eventually I will begin PMing individuals to give them access to an excel spreadsheet for character creation applications, if you posted your name here as interested and don't get a PM right away don't panic, and if you get to create a character but aren't chosen first thing don't panic, I intend to expand operations a little moving forward and with character deaths inevitable I will be happy to have a number of character "resumes" on file. I will be going back to this thread often moving forward and contacting others over time.

Likewise I will be going over any character applications to check against AToW rules and will keep an open mind, but someone inevitably will be a lance leader. The merc unit has already been mostly flushed out with an NPC supporting cast and is just looking to hire the player base.

The 4-6 idea makes sense. One thing you could also consider is having "guest allies". One thing that has affected Death From Above production is cast availability, with an episode risked being held up because 1 person could not attend. Now it seems that you intend to have a less intensive schedule, but allowing guest characters to be Allies as well as OpFors could create many of the same interesting opportunities to create Fan Favorites in the same way DFA has done(The Sokolov character got promoted from OpFor to series regular for this very reason).

Another thing would be to have a "Core cast" of 4-5 with 1-2 alternates ready to go in case someone's character is killed.(Not sure but that may already be what you are going for here). This allows for a Mech Lance, perhaps even a separate Commander Player-Character like DFA had. However, it seems like you are going more towards an NPC Commander like they have on A Time of Total Warfare.

Again, unless my schedule radically changes within the next few weeks, I would be interested.

-Liaofan

McSlayer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 03 September 2018, 21:40:45 »
I would be interested and up for any timeline, but just the unique thought of using star league tech in the star league era is something that I have never done before, and therefore something that sounds most interesting.

I also think you should want more people on your list, as I would think that if you had a "company" of 12 people, 4-6 might be able to show up on a given day and your list would get shortened by the number of dropouts and no shows due to RL situations. This also will mean that no one person can or should be so critical to the game going on that if they don't show, the campaign mission needs to be postponed. (Not a good thing in my mind). These are just my thoughts from past experience.

Let us know what else you have in mind.
« Last Edit: 03 September 2018, 21:54:19 by McSlayer »
You might not live more than once, better make it good.

I was born 6-gun in my hand, Behind a gun I'll make my final stand, That's why they call me... Bad Company...

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 04 September 2018, 17:13:56 »
I ran (and ran with) a group for a year+ using Roll20 & MM.
Small MM games make for a much more enjoyable scenario for having combat & resolution in one session. Having more than a company of units (unless running OpFor via Princess) can compound quickly, leading to the need to save the scenario for successive sessions.

Initially, the Roll20 maps and story-log took 20-30hrs a week; while building the MM OpFor lists were easy, I calculated out everything ahead of time and it still took another 10-20hrs / week.
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #16 on: 04 September 2018, 22:51:51 »
Dang! I just moved from eastern canada a few months back! I'm out west now!

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Kristan Dagley

• Private
« Reply #17 on: 09 September 2018, 11:27:27 »
Just to prove things are moving forward here is a little update.

It has been several days and I have picked just a small handful of folks first as guinea pigs for my Character Creator Spreadsheet. I have made several corrections to it and added a few features. It is not mandatory for it to be used, feel free to use whatever materials you have available for your own records, but I will be providing it for those who are selected and do not have access to a spreadsheet aid and will be using it to keep my own backup standardized logs of player characters. Hence why I am spending a little time on finalizing it.

That said I still have to choose a few more people to round out the billets in the coming days. Please be patient with me. :) And don't worry I will be looking for more participants moving even further forward.

Likewise progress on the RPG end is moving along smoothly. The NPC's of the players Mercenary Unit have all be created, as has their TO&E. Furthermore I have produced two MegaMek maps and OpFor forces for two separate contracts. The write ups and story boards for both are almost complete as well. Several arcing story boards are also in the works and have partial development. I am looking to get at least four short contracts prepared prior to starting the RPG which should be easily doable as we aren't rushing anything.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #18 on: 10 September 2018, 17:42:51 »
Awesome! I will take a crack at the latest version of the Character creator later tonight.

PS: THANKYOU!!!!! for making this! This is a true service to the community. lack of utilities like this is THE BARRIER to getting new players into the game.

A.E. Housman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 10 September 2018, 17:52:09 »
There are also other spreadsheets up in the AToW forum (not just mine)...

And a word of caution... Kristan's copy of AToW has an aging table that differs from every other version I've seen.  I've asked about it up in the rules forum.  It does advantage us as players in his game, but I'd be careful using it anywhere else.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #20 on: 10 September 2018, 21:08:21 »
The more attention we can bring to electronic game aides; the more likely TPTB take notice and that is to the good.

A.E. Housman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 11 September 2018, 03:23:57 »
Very true!  I think they have bigger fish to fry at the moment, but every little bit helps.

Schugger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 11 September 2018, 07:57:26 »
I am sitting on the wrong side of the pond, but I am interested how it works out for you gents.
So it would be nice if you can keep us (me) updated in this tread and if possible I would like to have a look at it live.
Have fun!
"Shit!"
"What?"
"Clanners!"
"No!"
"Yep."
"Shit!"

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #23 on: 23 September 2018, 18:10:34 »
Late to the thread, sorry. I would have to read through the thread I would be interested but like Deadborder time zones are a factor.

Kristan Dagley

• Private
« Reply #24 on: 23 September 2018, 19:38:52 »
Drewbacca nothing is impossible, I will keep you in mind.  >:D

Phalanx

• Corporal
« Reply #25 on: 24 September 2018, 19:53:04 »
Looking forward to how this turns out.

I would be interested in a guest spot depending on how my schedule plans out over the next few weeks.

-Liaofan

Kristan Dagley

• Private
« Reply #26 on: 25 September 2018, 20:20:40 »
Duly noted Phalanx.  ;)

Sorry to all but my day job is as an elementary school teacher and I was sub-teaching so far this year but just got placed in a Grade 3 classroom. Have a slight week delay while I get adjusted. I have a lot of materials prepared, just awaiting some last character finalization, getting everyone together for a first meeting and trial period, perhaps a MegaMek tutorial or refresher and then off we will go. Still hoping for a first session in early October. Like I said things will be slow to start and once we get in the swing probably pick up. Want to do it right the first time round.

HMS_Swiftsure

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 20 October 2018, 02:11:40 »
I'm interested in this.  I have experience playing in a AToW campaign over Discord and using Megamek, so that'd be an easy transition.  Are there still slots available?

pat_hdx

• Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 21 October 2018, 00:37:54 »
Could be interested if you still have a slot...if you don't I'd like to help with scenario ideas, create OPF list in MUL lists, etc.  ;D

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #29 on: 21 October 2018, 19:46:52 »
any updates?

A.E. Housman

Kristan Dagley

• Private
« Reply #30 on: 11 November 2018, 23:07:07 »
Apologies all, my house suddenly got flooded completely out of the blue several weekends ago. We had a lot of rain that weekend and for days and days since. Woke up to 12 inches of water in our basement. Lost a lot of stuff, much of it junk, but also several computers including my gaming rig. Been dealing with the cleanup ever since. Have the final parts for a new computer arriving this week. All data was safe thank heavens, and all people are ok including our cat, so most stuff can be replaced just a big hassle and a little loss in personal items.

Currently also dealing with report cards at the moment amid the repairs and continued cleaning.

I should be back on track last week of Nov to early Dec. Still have been writing down notes and contract ideas so still hoping to follow through with this even with the horrid delay and sudden loss of all communications.

Again I do apologize, it was never my intent to go dark for that long but we couldn't reconnect power right away and I had a lot on my plate to get through all at once.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #31 on: 12 November 2018, 05:31:01 »
No worries!  I'm just glad you and yours are safe and sound!

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #32 on: 12 November 2018, 15:36:13 »
No problem.

A.E. Housman