Author Topic: Monbvol's House rule emporium  (Read 94306 times)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: Monbvol's House rule emporium
« Reply #60 on: 09 July 2011, 10:35:35 »
One of the things that has been bugging me lately are the event rolls on my optional random event table that force a player into particular modules.  I'm considering rewriting those particular events and making a couple adjustments on some others to give a little more freedom of choice.  Mostly to keep it simple I want to rework it so that you can wait until you finish up all your module choices to roll for events without things getting wonky.  Plus it feels like there are too few modules to represent certain lifestyles.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #61 on: 11 July 2011, 21:49:33 »
Okay aside from some possible additional organizational improvements I actually feel a lot better about this revised optional random event table.

Stage 1
2: Severe accident at a young age.  Edge +20 XP; Choose a following pair:  Combat Paralysis -10 XP, Compulsion/Fear of Guns -10 XP; Slow Learner -10 XP, Introvert -10 XP; Glass Jaw -10 XP, Handicap -10 XP; Lost Limb -10 XP, Compulsion/Chemical addiction -10 XP. 
3: A rare disease strikes at a young age.  Handicap -10 XP, any skill gained from this module -10 XP, Toughness +10 XP, Interest/Pharmacology +5 XP, Arts/Any +5 XP, Interest/Any +5 XP and choose one of the following: Glass Jaw -5 XP, Handicap -5 XP, or Lost Limb -5 XP.
4: Abducted!  Choose one of the following pairs: Compulsion/Greedy -10 XP, Wealth +10 XP; Compulsion/Addiction -10 XP, Poison Resistance +10 XP; Compulsion/Traumatic Memories -10 XP, Connections + 10 XP.
5: Orphaned.  Compulsion/Traumatic Memories -15 XP, Connections +10 XP, Interest/Any +5 XP
6: Parents caught up in local revolution but taught you important skills.  Comms/Conventional +5 XP, Small Arms +5 XP, Demolitions +5 XP; Enemy -15 XP; Must choose Adolescent Warfare or Street as next Module.
7: Ordinary childhood. +5 XP to any skill; -5 XP to Edge.
8: Young virtuoso.  Arts/Any +20 XP, Compulsion/Arrogant -20 XP.
9: Early sports star.  Fit +15 XP, Interest/Any sport +20 XP, Compulsion/Chemical Addiction -35 XP.
10: Avid hunter.  Small Arms +10 XP, Tracking/Any +10 XP, Good Hearing +10 XP, Good Vision +10 XP, Introvert -40 XP.
11: On one of your trips you find some interesting items.  Connections +10 XP, Enemy -70 XP; Choose Either Connections +60  XP, Status + 60 XP, or Wealth +60.
12: Choose one or roll again twice.

Stage 2
2: Run in with a street gang leaves it's mark.  Fit +20 XP; Choose either Unattractive -20 XP or Compulsion/Traumatic Memories -20 XP.
3: Family moves to the frontier and loses it all.  Wealth -15 XP, Equipped -10 XP, Zero-G Ops +5 XP, Survival any +20 XP.
4: Met a bad influence.  Choose one of the following pairs: Compulsion/Gambling -10 XP, Interest/Gambling + 10 XP; Extra Income -10 XP, Pain Resistance + 10 XP; Reputation -10 XP, Connections +10 XP.
5: Part time job after school.  Wealth +5 XP, Slow Learner -5 XP.
6: Gifted student. Add 5 XP to any three skills gained from this module and may enter University next module ignoring prerequisits,  Introvert -15 XP.
7: Boooooring.  +5 XP to any trait; Wealth -5 XP.
8: After school activities.  Choose either Fit +20 XP, Running +20 XP, Throwing +20 XP, Acting +20 XP, Computers +20 XP, or Technician any +20 XP; Edge -20 XP.
9: Family training. Choose either Piloting/Any +20 XP, Driving/Any +20 XP, or Technician/Any + 20 XP; Choose either Vehicle +15 XP or Equipped +15 XP; Compulsion/Stubborn -35 XP.
10: Super prodigey.  Fast Learner +40 XP, Introvert -40 XP.
11: You have an undiscovered talent. Natural Aptitude/Any +70 XP, Unlucky -70 XP.
12: Choose one or roll again twice

Stage 3
2: School scandal causes problems.  Wealth -10 XP, Reputation -10 XP, Choose either Will +20 XP or Patient +20 XP.
3: Field study goes horribly wrong.  Lost Limb -25 XP, Extra Income +25 XP.
4: You earn a trip to the medical labs of a highly regarded university.  Choose one of the following pairs: Compulsion/Arrogant -10 XP, Natural Aptitude/Surgery/General +10 XP; Compulsion/Addiction -10 XP, Interest/Pharmacology +10 XP; Handicap -10 XP, Intelligence + 10 XP.
5: A bit side tracked but worth it.  Dependent -15 XP, Connections +15 XP.
6: Who knew you had such a way with machines? Tech Empathy +15 XP, Unlucky -15 XP.
7: Could be worse but all this free time you have gives you a chance to better yourself.  +5 XP to any attribute, -5 XP Compulsion/Arrogant.
8: Superior training.  Player may choose an additional training field above and beyond current restrictions/choices for no additional time or may take one less year for this module.  Cost and rebate are not affected by this event and thus are paid and gained normally.
9: Fish to water. Any skill gained at this stage from a field +20 XP, +15 XP to any other skill gained from this module, Slow Learner -35.
10: Wow this is easier than I thought.  Natural Aptitude/any skill gained from this module +40 XP, Enemy -40 XP.
11: Grants come through giving you some extra cash.  Wealth +70 XP, Reputation -70.

Stage 4
2: You get in over your head gambling.  Wealth -10 XP, Compulsion/Gambling -10 XP, Connections +20 XP.
3: Those are some unsavory characters you've met up with.  Choose one of the following pairs: Enemy -25 XP,  Edge +25 XP;  Reputation -25, Connections +25 XP.
4: Cut backs leave you high and dry for a while.  Extra Income -10 XP, Fast Learner + 10 XP.
5: The label said whiskey but the blindness says otherwise.  Poor Vision -15 XP, Poison Resistance +15 XP.
6: Properly “medicated” you become the life of the party.  Gregarious +15 XP, Compulsion/Addiction -15 XP.
7: Nothing out of the ordinary here.  +5 flexible XP, -5 XP Dark Secret.
8: An undiscovered talent sends you back to school.  May choose a Civilian stage 3 module next even if the character is at normal limit.  Wealth -20 XP, Natural Aptitude/Any skill  +20 XP.
9:  Earn the attention of an important person.  Blood Mark -35 XP; Choose either Wealth +35 XP, Rank +35 SP, or Connections +35 XP.
10: Lucky sob.  Edge +40 XP, Enemy -40 XP.
11: You make one heck of a breakthrough while tinkering.  Choose either Equipped +70 XP, Wealth +70 XP, or Reputation +70 XP; Introvert -70 XP.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #62 on: 19 July 2011, 23:39:00 »
I've been thinking about my aging system again.

I thought about changing it so that it uses the same formula as the downtime XP of 1/2 INT *months of downtime, in this case it would work out to be INT*6.  The trouble is I've realized that would get too complicated to work out a decent system where diminishing returns would ensure that the character isn't crippled too quickly but yet there would eventually be a point where your body would fail faster than you can do anything about it.

So I think I'll keep with the flat 25 XP per year but revise Fast Learner and Slow Learner so that they do not apply to this aging based flexible XP.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #63 on: 16 September 2011, 17:57:29 »
[Edit]Sorry folks links are dead so this post has been removed.[/Edit]
« Last Edit: 27 January 2012, 11:29:53 by monbvol »

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 16 September 2011, 21:53:43 »
The Focused Learning is a pretty powerful trait. I understand for the most part why its there, since you seem to have broken up the Trueborn trait into various components, but for 100 points that's a heck of a bonus that's suddenly available to everyone, not just Trueborns. (Hopefully I got the name right, I stupidly closed the file right before going to post this :) )

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #65 on: 16 September 2011, 23:06:14 »
Hey feedback!

You do raise a good point.  I am thinking of limiting to just one such Intensive Training Trait per character period.  That way it is useful but not so powerful that it proves overwhelming.

One of the things I intend to do with my AU is rework the Vehicle RATs and the Custom Vehicle Trait.  What I am thinking for that is each rank of Vehicle Trait represents the column of the RAT to roll on.  Each column would be arranged in such a way to represent rarity/quality so that while there still will be a certain amount of association with weight it will also reduce the stair stepping of needing to invest set amounts of points and thus help prevent gaming the system.  I do have a mostly finished Ground Vehicle RAT for my AU.  I just need to finish populating it with the generic/available to most everyone stuff and on the flipside I do have to finish designing some of the entries I made on there.  Which will be tough because I do not remember where I left off with that let alone if I was using Heavy Metal Vehicle of Megamek Lab.

Anyway onto Custom Vehicle.  This trait has always been a bit tricky but with the Strat Ops refit rules I think there just might be a way to make use of it.

Oy this is going to get complicated.  I may have to do a monster chart/spreadsheet for what I'm thinking.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #66 on: 16 September 2011, 23:44:03 »
And as I guessed it did get too complicated to do anything other than a massive table.

You choose one of the effects listed in the column header and the number clear in column A will tell you what rank of Custom Vehicle you need to get that.  Unless specified with a Choose option player must roll using the indicated modified column for the desired effect.  Only one effect may be chosen per vehicle but at the acquisition of a new vehicle a new effect can be chosen if desired.  A N/A entry indicates that effect is not available to that level of trait.  Refit levels are expressed in Strategic Operations terms and as such see Strategic Operation for rules on how to apply the indicated refit.

[Edit]Removed dead link[/edit]
« Last Edit: 17 September 2011, 12:11:37 by monbvol »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #67 on: 17 September 2011, 00:23:50 »
And I still have left over vehicles in my generic directory.  I certainly didn't do as good of a job mixing up the weight on them better like I had some others.  Oh well.

*dead link removed*

I need to recreate a lot of my old ASFs but I do have my mechs mostly restored.  I say mostly because they really need some resorting and renaming.  I also need to fix a few LRM issues.
« Last Edit: 27 January 2012, 11:31:28 by monbvol »

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #68 on: 17 September 2011, 00:37:38 »
Even with being limited to only one Intensive Training (man, did I get that wrong) its still a pretty hefty bonus to the character's primary (most likely) skills. Maybe instead of splitting it up as 100 for 5 skills and 200 for 6+, you make it 100for non-combat skills, and 200 for combat, perhaps with a Clanner Trueborn discount?

I somewhat get what you're trying to do with the custom vehicle table, but any gaming table that takes up 28 rows is somewhat suspect :)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #69 on: 17 September 2011, 09:05:44 »
Well it is a work in progress and I did just realize it still really doesn't handle once play is underway and the players need a new vehicle in a totally sane and sensible way.

I keep running into the problem that the refit stuff really is better handled by the player's relations with their unit techs or the Connections trait and what salvage is available and once again what their Connections trait can get them access to.  So there goes a lot of columns off that table.  And returning it to a 1-6 point trait takes care of the other issues.

Okay the Refit/Redesign column is there for what the player can do with their Vehicle before play begins.  It is intended to not be used once play has started.  The player only gets to choose from one of the four columns before play begins and as the fourth column becomes more influenced by other traits and game conditions once play has begun they may either choose one of the first three columns when replacing their vehicle or take any available salvage as their new vehicle.

The new, more sane and sensible, *dead link removed*.
« Last Edit: 27 January 2012, 11:33:09 by monbvol »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #70 on: 17 September 2011, 12:16:14 »
Updated my AU Affiliations document because I found some of my affiliations were not adding up XP wise.  Also made an adjustment to the Carfana Federation Affiliation.  Also found a few instances where obsolete traits were still being used.  Updated previous link but just in case *dead link removed* it is again.

Oh and I almost forgot to mention I am seriously considering reworking all the fields since one of the things I intend to do is have most combat vehicles, all mechs and ASFs have a crew of 2, or more for larger vehicles, and as such I am going to rework the fields to have more specialization rather than general utility.  I have started thinking about cutting each field down to five associated skills.  Some this works great for, others have been tougher to cut down.  So far though I'm not too terribly displeased.  This should help me rework the Intensive Training trait into something a little more workable.
« Last Edit: 27 January 2012, 11:35:02 by monbvol »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #71 on: 04 October 2011, 21:41:14 »
Ah this old thread.

Some more things I have begun thinking about lately.

I have been toying around with the idea of reintroducing LAMs in my setting.  I'm seriously thinking of having it be something that is available to one faction(Amegis Compact) and salvage to all others.  Which will help fill out both my Mech and ASF tables thanks to how I am going to organize my RATs.

I am seriously having to pause and consider my RATs overall simply because I may well have to reorganize some of the few I already have worked out.  Mostly because I just never have really gone through and gotten a firm idea of who has what as far as technology goes.  I may also have to come up with better tech timelines as well just so the vehicle table doesn't have some wonkiness.  Which may force me to go through and rework my mech archive as well so I can start sorting that out as well.  Then I run into the problem that I just don't have hardly any of my ASF designs anymore, nor my BA designs.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #72 on: 09 October 2011, 11:12:45 »
Okay I finished up reworking the Fields to my satisfaction.  I will not be giving out the full document for this one because as it is I feel like I am already precariously close to some legal lines I should not cross.  All is not lost though because I can share the fields that are my own creation.  Probably be Tuesday before I can actually cut down the document to only my creations though.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #73 on: 13 October 2011, 19:49:31 »
Which Tuesday though is a good question.

I'm thinking of creating a new spreadsheet that is compatible with my house rules.  My current one is not.  I'm even thinking of doing something silly for the Fields.  I may actually somewhat predefine them a bit but in doing so create extras of a few.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #74 on: 04 November 2011, 19:35:19 »
Ah scrag pruning and sharing that file.  :P

Something I have been working on lately is I did find an old document with at least the names of all my missing AU designs.  So I've been rebuilding them from scratch and got that finished up all right.

The problem now though is I find I just don't have enough BA designs to fill out a RAT without it getting a bit wonky but at the same time I'm kind of okay with that because I do want certain factions to be BA rich and others very BA poor but as I pointed out for a RAT this creates some problems.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #75 on: 06 November 2011, 19:46:09 »
I have determined I do just need to bite the bullet a bit and fill out at least the lighter spectrum of designs a bit but this does run into the other problem I find with Battle Armor, it is exceedingly difficult to make something that actually feels like it is a different suit and not just a variation on a theme.  To a certain extent I'm okay with that but it does just make for some unbearable blandness.  I'm seriously considering adding some custom weapons to my copy of HMBA to help address this without making things too imbalanced.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #76 on: 19 November 2011, 22:44:19 »
I also just realized something else.  None of my Heavymetal software suites have the Total Warfare weapons in them anymore.  I know not such a big deal for the mechs since I have SSW but everything else, yeah I got some gear I can use to get some variety with now.  I feel kind of silly for that.  Yes I also have Megameklab but frankly that is a bit klunky and not very user friendly for actually making the designs useful for table top gaming.  Plus it doesn't let me do custom weapons which is a big one for me because I'm not afraid to fix some existing weapons to make a better balance.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #77 on: 20 November 2011, 13:41:50 »
Okay something weird is going on with the files I downloaded that are supposed to contain them.  I tried to add something to a design that was correctly entered into the custom weapons list for HMAero as a Capital Ballistic weapon but the program displayed a Laser bay with no weight or heat.  Oy.  I'm not sure if I didn't follow the directions as well as I had thought, Windows 7 is just being a pain, or what.  All I know is I really don't want to have to hand enter that many weapons.  I'll have to take some time to think about this and how to solve the problem.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #78 on: 27 November 2011, 22:01:58 »
Okay I got the stuff I care about into HMBA.  I'm also pretty happy with what I have in HMVee as far as custom/revised weapons go.  HMPro I can skip since I have SSW and I have successfully figured out how to make the changes I want with it.  This just leaves HMAero for adding new weapons for some variety.  I have to admit I'm seriously considering calling it good enough with the fair number of ASFs I have and kind of gloss over everything else because honestly as much as StratOps and TW made everything space better the rules for anything space need major overhauls still, at least in construction.

My next AToW campaign will be making use of a few changes to tactical scale equipment.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #79 on: 06 December 2011, 11:57:05 »
I've been thinking of late where I should share some of these changes I've made and this is a house rule thread and A Time of War does deal with Mech combat so it seems here or starting a new thread in Fan Articles seems the best bets.  Since I already have this thread I'll go ahead and list them here.

Autocannons.  I've reduced their weight by 2 tons and criticals by 1 to a minimum of 1.  Increased ammo slightly to make for a total of 120 damage per ton of ammo.  All minimum ranges have been removed.  Specialty munitions that reduced shots per ton now only reduce to 2/3rds rather than 1/2.  This includes the LB and Ultra cannons.

Gauss Rifles.  Likewise I couldn't think of a good reason why there was a minimum range so I've decided to drop it.  For the Heavy I couldn't figure out why the damage dropped as fast as it does and with the removal of minimum range to help keep it in balance it does 20 damage at all ranges.  To help balance them heat was increased. Light now produces 4, standard 8, Heavy 12.  Still explode normally.  On vehicles they work like Plasma Cannons, in other words they need heat sinks and power amps despite being ammo based weapons.

LRMs are my last main  change.  Instead of minimum range impacting to hit it is now a -1 per hex of minimum range to the missile hit chart with any result less than 2 meaning that no missiles did damage.  Clan LRMs now have a minimum range of 4.  Inner Sphere LRM-5 and 15 have had their weight increased by half a ton each and the Clan versions have been recalculated to half the weight.

So far I have only really been able to do thought experiments on these changes but I have been fairly pleased with the results.  The AC-5 now can compete with a Large Laser and heat sinks instead of being a no brainer refit.  The AC-10 goes from easily replaced by a PPC and heat sinks is a debate about which is better to actually giving an incentive to keeping the old AC-10 around, especially once the better specialty munitions hit.  Replacing a LRM-10 with two LRM-5s is no longer a tonnage freeing refit.  I like these implications.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #80 on: 07 December 2011, 15:53:03 »
Well I believe even in the era of the single heatsink as the only heat dissipation option all the autocannons are at least two tons and one crit too big

Official C-Bill prices and rarity tables don't exactly weigh in their favor but, I dunno, there's at least one fringe benefit to having lots of crits: advanced rules allow spacious weapons to continue functioning as long as half of its crits are intact which, since arms get blown off instead of suffering a triple-crit, means that even a 4-crit piddly AC/5 stays in action longer than a 3-crit PPC does.

Also, I thought you were around back when Fallguy mentioned his "autocannon get a natural TN-2 To Hit modifier" house rule. Was that an idea you had considered and turned down?

No thoughts on Gauss Rifles, but you may want to bump LRM 5 heat up to 3; otherwise they still pull (slightly) ahead of LRM 10s by virtue of being harder to knock out.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #81 on: 07 December 2011, 16:17:09 »
Giving ACs a flat -2 seems like an okay idea until you get to the specialty munitions.  I may think on the full implications of that further.

I know the argument, more crits more easily taken out.  I think the balance is actually just fine at least on a theoretical level but then I don't exactly have a lot of capability to put these changes through practical testing just yet and I see that as what I do need.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #82 on: 09 December 2011, 17:08:05 »
Yeah; and it's not like MegaMek (presently the easiest way to test practically) makes it easy to use house rules or modified equipment stats.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #83 on: 09 December 2011, 17:35:12 »
*nod*

On paper I really love these changes to the ACs because it makes them better without making them obviously superior.  A Light PPC is still a better choice than a stock AC-5 on most mechs but on vehicles LRM-15s are not so automatically better that it seems a no brainer to swap them out if you have the cash and LRMs to spare and yet there are applications where each has merits over the other now.  Especially since things like BV2.0 wouldn't exactly exist in character's minds.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #84 on: 13 December 2011, 18:20:41 »
Okay now I have a nice new special for everyone.

I still feel like I need to rework some of the tables to create less of a relationship between higher Vehicle netting the player an automatically heavier(and with the prejudice of my players considered automatically better) unit.

I have also gone through and stated everything on the Driving/Ground tab with Megameklab except for a few entries on the Generic table.

Since I can't easily edit Megameklab to use my alternate weights I just over/underweighted the designs as needed.

*dead link removed*

All my Battle Armor is done with HMBA and I did get a little frustrated with weapon choice so I created the PaK-1.  I like how it balances without invalidating anything but comments are still welcome.  100 kg 1 slot 1 damage 3/6/9 range 5 shots per clip 5kg ammo clips.  I should rework the cost though.

*dead link removed*

And the still needs re-arranged *dead link removed*
« Last Edit: 27 January 2012, 11:41:53 by monbvol »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #85 on: 01 January 2012, 22:26:32 »
Just to shamelessly plug some more of my own efforts I felt the need to let you lot know I have started working on a revised Cluster Hits table.  Simply put there is no reason for the current one to be the way it is.

I haven't gotten it completely worked out yet but I have some decent ideas on how to handle it.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #86 on: 13 January 2012, 21:18:03 »
Well I still need to rework the Cluster Hits Table but frankly that one I may have to learn to live with for a while since there is no good way for me to make it useful without doing a lot of extra printing or creating my own design program that can use multiple tables.

I have updated my RATs though.  Piloting/Mech is now supported in the fashion I wish.

*dead link removed*

And a Zip of the designs as well as the modified weapons.dat file used to generate them.

*dead link removed*
« Last Edit: 27 January 2012, 11:43:55 by monbvol »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #87 on: 13 January 2012, 21:37:46 »
Okay I went and consolidated all my links to the first post so any late comers to the discussion have an easy to find repository.

I still need to fix a few things here and there but overall I'm growing more happy with what I've got so far.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #88 on: 15 January 2012, 01:28:03 »
Current project I'm working on is an in-character POV beginner's primer for my Mercenary Guild.  This has also gotten me to start thinking about a mercenary unit construction system to integrate with AToW.

I only have an overview of major commands to finish up for my IC POV document so it shouldn't be long before I get that shared.

The rules I'm still fiddling with the numbers but I at least have something in mind for a place to start.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #89 on: 15 January 2012, 11:12:46 »
Okay I finished up my IC POV document like I figured.  My only debate at this point is how to share it with you lot.  I guess just to keep things simple and standardized I'll just drop it in my megaupload account and if enough people seem to like it I may even put it in fanfiction on this board.

*dead link removed*

Just for an added bonus my *dead link removed* for the Terran Dominion.  I still feel the need to rewrite it and flesh it out a bit more but it should keep you lot tided over for now.  :P
« Last Edit: 27 January 2012, 11:45:55 by monbvol »