Author Topic: 'Mech of the week - Blood Asp  (Read 16280 times)

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
'Mech of the week - Blood Asp
« on: 21 April 2016, 23:37:42 »
Now, this would be my first article. Be gentle?

The Blood Asp

If you are a dirty Spheroid, you are probably thinking "What in the heck is a Blood Asp?". This is because the machine was produced almost exclusively by conservative Homeworld Clan Star Adder. Unless you face them (or Clans Snow Raven, Clan Hell's Horses, or Clan Goliath Scorpion, who have limited numbers of these machines) you will likely never see one. And if you have the cajones to claim that you "upgraded" a "Star Adder" and turned it into a Blood Asp, you probably belong in a non-canon game.

Anyway, Clan Star Adder developed the Blood Asp as a semi-logical upgrade over the Kingfisher OmniMech. At first glance, the two machines compliment each other well - a Kingfisher can keep the heat off of a Blood Asp while it does the sniping. This is useful, because the Blood Asp isn't nearly as hard to kill. The engine that makes the Blood Asp tick is merely an XL "upgrade" over its inspiration, a standard 360 Fusion Reactor. Allowing the OmniMech to move at a steady 4/6 pace, it can barely keep up with most other Clan Assault Frontline units such as the Warhawk and Executioner. The Blood Asp is considerably more fragile, however; given the tendency of its official Omni-configs to mount explosive components in the side torsos, the XL engine can quickly become a concern over long-term combat...even with the sixteen tons of standard armor plating armoring this Ninety ton insult. Fourteen Double-Strength Heat Sinks come standard in the engine as well. The final piece of this puzzle is an Endo-Steel structure, increasing the overall pod space of the Blood Asp to a high 42 tons and 40 critical spaces.

With the guts of this omnimech out of the way, we move onto everyone's favorite portion; The configurations.

~ ~ ~

The Prime configuration is rather typical of the Heavy Laser craze that went through the Clans in the early 3060s. A quartet of Heavy Medium Lasers, arranged two to an arm, provide the shortest range of fire on the machine. They are supported by a Medium Pulse Laser in each arm and a Streak SRM-6 in the center torso, fed by a ton of ammo in the right torso. The longest-ranged part of this machine are a duo of Gauss Rifles (one per side torso) with a ton of ammo for each gun allowing for eighty seconds of constant firing. While this may be enough for engaging a single target - especially for a competent MechWarrior - it forces the pilot to go back for reloads frequently in longer battles. Four extra DHS increase total cooling power to 36 points of cooling.

The A configuration is a dangerous, long-ranged powerhouse. Boasting twin ER PPCs and twin Heavy Large Lasers, one of both in each arm, a massive load of heat is forced on the machine. An ECM Suite in the core and a trio of jump jets allow the A to become a decent mugger as well as a solid anchor in any Assault Star - and what's more, all weapons are tied to a four-ton targeting computer in the right torso, getting rid of the pesky +1 to Heavy Lasers and increasing the chances for the ER PPCs to hit an unlucky foe. An added eleven DHS barely keep the heat under control under normal conditions, meaning you can only fire about three weapons a turn without overheating, while a jumping alpha will give you a very painful 15 points of heat to track.

The third Omni-configuration is the B, is an all around stable design. Twin LRM-20s with Artemis IV grace the arms with purpose, with four tons ammunition (two per arm and launcher) keeping the heavy launchers fed. The Gauss Rifle in the Right torso makes a triumphant return, bringing three tons of ammo with it - one in each leg, plus one in the center torso. A quartet of Medium Pulse Lasers resides in the Left Torso, and the ECM Suite from the A returns to the Center Torso. Two extra DHS allow the Blood Asp B to pull of a running alpha every turn, provided your engine doesn't receive any damage or get hit with heat-causing weaponry. On a personal note, this is probably my favorite Blood Asp configuration.

The fourth Config is the C, a machine I'd almost call a Davion design if it weren't for the Clan make - an attitude the D configuration also gives off. A pair of Ultra AC/10s make up the core of the armament, one in the Left Arm and the other in the Left Torso. Four tons of ammunition reside in the left torso, making that side is a bit of a powderkeg. An LB-20X Autocannon graces the Right Torso, taking up every crit in that sector - as well as putting two tons of ammo in the Center Torso. I would heartily recommend that one fires the LB-20X every turn they can in order to keep this OmniMech from becoming the next notch on any fortunate opponent's weapon or ride. Anyhow, the final weapon of the C, and the only true long-ranged weapon, is an ER Large Laser in the Right arm. The C makes due with the stock fourteen DHS, meaning one has to manage heat to some extent.

The fifth and final 3060 variant is the D configuration. Taking a page from the Prime's book, it mounts a Gauss Rifle in the Left Torso with two tons of ammo alongside it. A pair of Heavy Medium Lasers in each arm provide short-range firepower, and an added ER Large Laser assists the Gauss Rifle at range. The most odd component on this machine is the trio of Ultra AC/2 Autocannons fed by a solitary ton of ammo, all in the right torso and providing six chances for a Golden TAC. Despite the relative low heat of ballistics, however, the D config is still one of the hotter-running Blood Asp configurations, with only two DHS failing to keep the machine cooled down.

With that, we make a short jump to 3063 and the E configuration. The E shares many design traits with common "Coyote" designs, thanks to the quad ATM-3s, mounted two per arm and fed by a sparse two tons of ammo. The ATM's flexibility is slightly lower on this design, not uncommon for ATM-based omnimechs. Backing these up is an ER PPC and Medium Pulse Laser in each Side Torso, with all four energy weapons being directed by a four-ton Targeting Computer. The E configuration also can jump at its full walking speed, a first for the Blood Asp series. Six extra DHS reduce the heat load, but a standing alpha will leave you overheated.

With that, we move on to 3071. This configuration, the F, is a particularly vicious beast, but also one of the least heat-efficient designs of the series. A duo of ER PPCs are mounted (one per arm), par for the course for Blood Asp configurations. A Plasma Cannon, perfect for frying infantry or tanks (or really anything that doesn't track heat) with its ton of ammo is mounted in the Left Arm, and a duo of Medium Pulse Lasers are mounted in the Right. A quad set of Streak SRM-6s are also mounted two to a Side Torso, providing a deadly and accurate barrage if one gets a lock. Three tons of ammunition feed these launchers. Finally, two AP Gauss Rifles reside in the Center, with a ton of ammo residing in the Left Torso. Five DHS barely help with the heat situation on this particular Config.

The final known configuration before the Homeworlds went dark was the G, appearing in 3074. The first thing to notice is a massive Hyper-Assault Gauss Rifle, 40-Class, split between the Left Arm and Torso and fed by four tons of ammo. A Heavy Medium Laser is crammed into the Left Torso alongside it, and a second is mounted in the Right Arm. Twin Medium Pulse Lasers reside in the Right Arm once again, as does an ER Large Laser. A second ER Large shares its space with a six-ton Targeting Computer. The two extra DHS, however, cannot help with the heat situation at all.

~ ~ ~

How do you deal with a Blood Asp? Well, that is heavily dependent on the configuration. Like most Clan Omnis, the Blood Asp doesn't really have a "pattern" aside from almost always running hot. That can certainly make one's job easier; Infernos, IIW Ammo (For iATMs), Plasma Weapons, Venusian Atmospheres - it doesn't matter, the Blood Asp pilot will hate you immensely for using and/or being surrounded by them. Given how heat-heavy the Blood Asp can be, the unit will likely have to at least halve its firing rate or simply stop shooting altogether or risk shutdown - or in some of the less fortunate configurations, an ammo explosion. Which brings me to the next weakness: most Blood Asp variants mount explosive components in their side torsos, from Gauss Rifles to Ultra AC/2 ammo. Given the fragile XL Engine, a Blood Asp can be rendered combat-ineffective in short order by an unfortunate and untimely explosion.

Now, using a Blood Asp in your force can be a mixed bag. Most configurations, as previously mentioned, run hot - exceedingly so. If one is used to the high-heat loadouts of the "Original" Clan Assault Mechs, the Blood Asp requires a similar level of heat management, and a healthy knowledge of bracket firing in most configurations. This machine is designed to work solo as per the Clan norms, but I honestly believe it truly shines as the centerpiece of a lighter force in honorless conflict; the capability to put massive fire on a target at close range in almost all configutions make it an invaluable ambusher once the fight gets to spitting range, while it tends to spam hard hits at longer ranges on the way to support the faster, lighter units.

It's rather unfortunate how rare the Blood Asp is in the current timeline, considering how much of a blast it is to field one. One can only hope that the Kingfisher's younger, hotter sibling makes a return in the timeline soon, even if it is little more than a fancy new shell.
« Last Edit: 22 April 2016, 12:46:31 by Caedis_Animus »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Re: 'Mech of the week - Blood Asp
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2016, 23:55:25 »
Always liked the Mech its a solid combatant even if it did get lost a little with the Heavy laser craze.

One note the XL isn't as fragile as you'd think.  Being a Clan XL you can lose one side and keep going if you need to or withdraw
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2016, 00:26:19 »
Never gotten a chance to use this beast, but for some reason I thought that the Horses fielded a few.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2016, 00:49:22 »
Think MechAssault made the mech somewhat popular regardless of it's exposure in the IS

Heat is a concern for a machine that choose firepower over engine but it's still a brutal assault.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2016, 01:42:56 »
Think MechAssault made the mech somewhat popular regardless of it's exposure in the IS

It was a star of MechCommander 2 as well
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2016, 01:50:51 »
A great write up :) I remember when the TRO of this thing came out, my friends and I decided to test it and were quite horrified by the firepower the Prime can throw out, especially if you get into HLL range, this was balanced by the pitiful ammo load and the heat issues.  I've not faced the other variants, the only one I dislike though is the one with the massed UAC-2's.

But a really good article for your first one :) Bravo good Sir!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 22 April 2016, 04:04:38 »
Ah, the Blood Asp.
The best Mech in Mech Commander 2, which back when was my first Contact with the franchise. Also loved the bright white of the heavy lasers.

In actual BT, I'd say it's weaponry writes checks it's frame can't always check,be it heat or return fire.
But it sure brings the heat. Both ways.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 22 April 2016, 04:13:48 »
Never gotten a chance to use this beast, but for some reason I thought that the Horses fielded a few.

You are correct in that assumption. Star Adders and HH were said to have close ties and some elements (a whole galaxy?) of the Star Adders joined up with them after contact to the Homeworlds ceased. Or something like that.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #8 on: 22 April 2016, 04:33:51 »
TRO 3060 was the first TRO (in fact, the first Battletech book) I ever bought as a kid, and when I turned the page to the Blood Asp, it was love at first sight. Ever since then it's been my favorite Clan assault 'Mech, along with pretty much guaranteeing my lifelong adoration for the Star Adders.
« Last Edit: 22 April 2016, 04:35:45 by Kojak »

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Grey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 22 April 2016, 05:26:24 »
Nice article, I think you focused on the vulnerability of the XL engine a bit much given the tech base, but you're right in that it is the biggest vulnerability of this beast aside from it's flamboyant approach to heat management.

Still, those are very minor compared to the fact that it is an Assault 'Mech in the purest form, it's designed to lay down pain, a lot of it, other considerations are secondary, but at least addressed in some form.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 22 April 2016, 11:24:27 »

You are correct in that assumption. Star Adders and HH were said to have close ties and some elements (a whole galaxy?) of the Star Adders joined up with them after contact to the Homeworlds ceased. Or something like that.

However many it was, the Blood Asp <Base> is listed as available to the Hell's Horses on the MUL for its entire existence to date.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 22 April 2016, 12:45:30 »
Shoot, I forgot about that. The Article will be altered to reflect this.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 22 April 2016, 12:48:43 »
Hmm, I think this mech would look good in HH Iota or Kappa Galaxy colors.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #13 on: 22 April 2016, 15:58:23 »
Under battle value games, the D is an great deal.  All of the hallmarks of an assault 'mech for a price tag that's cheaper than a lot of Clan heavies.  I used to pair it up with the equally cheap Savage Coyote B as a nice anchor to a star.  Their bracket-fire set ups made them relatively cheap and hardy while allowing them to still be effective.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #14 on: 22 April 2016, 19:03:11 »
However many it was, the Blood Asp <Base> is listed as available to the Hell's Horses on the MUL for its entire existence to date.

TBH, this plus my love of combined arms is what drew me to Clan Hell's Horses in the Dark Age.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 22 April 2016, 19:07:20 »
a Kingfisher can keep the heat off of a Blood Asp while it does the sniping.

The way the Adders are now, that kind of Tainted malarkey would get you Reaved. Actually the Adders have always been really big on zellbrigen so the Blood Asp would most often see use as a straight duelling machine. Notable exceptions would be fighting the Blood Spirits on York, and the general chaos of fighting various dezgra opponents during the few years of the Wars of Reaving.

Under battle value games, the D is an great deal.  All of the hallmarks of an assault 'mech for a price tag that's cheaper than a lot of Clan heavies.  I used to pair it up with the equally cheap Savage Coyote B as a nice anchor to a star.  Their bracket-fire set ups made them relatively cheap and hardy while allowing them to still be effective.

I agree 100% with this, I love low cost Assaults.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #16 on: 23 April 2016, 00:25:11 »
This Mech never did anything for me. Partly because it was a computer game Mech and most of those felt tacked on. Partly because it felt middling and lacking firepower. Yes, I said that.

Short version. The eras love of Heavy Lasers encouraged a short range dynamic. IMHO assault Mechs shouldn't be at short range unless they have a very good reason. Eg a dancing back stabber like an Executioner.

The Blood Asp isn't cheap like the Kingfisher, a tank like the Kingfisher or Dire Wolf, mobile like the Executioner, a gunboat like the Dire Wolf or Turkina, or a sniper like the Warhawk. It is bland and in the middle. Arguably it is a better Warhawk but the variants have kept pushing the short range angle.

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #17 on: 24 April 2016, 00:14:40 »
one thing can be said though... it is one sexy mech*, it just screams "large assault mech that will do bad things to the enemy" I bought the re-sculpted mini, just because of how damn good it looks. It may be my only Star Adder mech, but it's worth it....

* TRO version only, the Computer game versions looks like weak light mechs....
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #18 on: 24 April 2016, 09:19:26 »
Thanks to MechAssault 2, I already have a subjective bias towards it, but even if I didn't, it's a gorgeous machine which plays like a champion (except I can't stand that the Prime has 1 ton of ammo per launcher [face palm]). I don't play much in the homeworlds anymore, but this and the Septicemia are my favorite homeworld mechs.
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #19 on: 25 April 2016, 10:20:14 »
Per the MilSpec article on BattleCorps, the F and G variants were seen on a Blood Asp piloted by a Hell's Horse warrior in the IS. It's implied that the 'Mech was taken from the Adders shortly before contact was lost with the home worlds, likely meaning it was part of the Adders that got absorbed by the Horses in WoR.

The Blood Asp (with the exception of the A variant) seems to be designed to be able to take on and efficiently kill enemy 'Mechs all on its own. There's a big, heavy hitting weapon (or two) plus one or more weapons with smaller crit-seeking capabilities to give it the chance to crit-out an enemy rather than rely on head-capping or straight damage to destroy the enemy. This design philosophy partly lead into the second paragraph of the Star Adder's entry under Tactics of War in the Wars of Reaving Supplemental. It also factored into the 'Mechs that made the Star Adder 3085 RAT also in the WoRS.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #20 on: 27 April 2016, 19:35:47 »
This Mech never did anything for me. Partly because it was a computer game Mech and most of those felt tacked on. Partly because it felt middling and lacking firepower. Yes, I said that.

Short version. The eras love of Heavy Lasers encouraged a short range dynamic. IMHO assault Mechs shouldn't be at short range unless they have a very good reason. Eg a dancing back stabber like an Executioner.

The Blood Asp isn't cheap like the Kingfisher, a tank like the Kingfisher or Dire Wolf, mobile like the Executioner, a gunboat like the Dire Wolf or Turkina, or a sniper like the Warhawk. It is bland and in the middle. Arguably it is a better Warhawk but the variants have kept pushing the short range angle.

I can agree with that, though I will point out the D loves long range duels.  I've already mentioned it's cheapness, but the fact that the twin ERLL's, Gauss, and quad UAC-2's are firing all the time is something.  If things get closer, you can drop an ERLL and add in the HML's for a damage spike.  While it doesn't have the sit down, shut up damage level of other 'mechs, it's consistent and is right at home at long range.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #21 on: 08 July 2021, 14:50:14 »
While considering the Marauder's relationship with other battlemechs, I considered how it was said somewhere that the Blood Asp is related to the Kingfisher.  Physically, I think it more so resembles the Thug.

I always liked the primary configuration with its mix of long and short-range firepower.  I would've found a couple tons somewhere to add a couple more tons of Gauss ammo, though.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #22 on: 08 July 2021, 21:20:04 »
Yeah, the Blood Asp only really resembles the Kingfisher in that they're both 90 ton omnimechs that move 4/6.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #23 on: 09 July 2021, 09:49:06 »
I remember the old SeaCoast Battletech group's demo guys use newbie (me) as their test article see Trial of Position would work using a Blood Asp.  It seem to work, well.  I was using the Prime configuration.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 11 July 2021, 22:32:21 »
I honestly completely forgot that I ever typed this up.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 11 September 2022, 13:31:54 »
I honestly completely forgot that I ever typed this up.

I appreciate that you did! Trying to decide if mine should be a part of my spirits or horses…

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #26 on: 11 September 2022, 20:40:58 »
I never realized this until it materialized in MechWarrior Online, but the Blood Asp E comes with hands  :o

BATTLEMASTER

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #27 on: 11 September 2022, 20:44:08 »
Yeah, you can see them on the variant mini as well.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #28 on: 11 September 2022, 21:24:53 »
I see - here's one I found on CamoSpecs:

BATTLEMASTER

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #29 on: 12 September 2022, 16:29:13 »
Woah, that masterful paint job.  That looks like the E Configuration.  looks nice, but wow, those ATM-3s launchers are huge.  If that's what it is.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki