Author Topic: Tortuga Prime - Why the changes?  (Read 248 times)

Jeyar123

• Corporal
Tortuga Prime - Why the changes?
« on: 05 March 2024, 20:00:11 »
Not a complaint at all, as I've had fun with both (maybe even a third) however why the significant changes in the details on Tortuga Prime over the years? The examples I am looking at right now are the Commando Quarterly Worldbook issue "67-2 Autumn 3067" starting on page 3. The world was very wet, very very hot and a little high gravity (1.2g), a 6/9/6 became a 5/8/5 and faster units were even more slowed down, while slower mechs found crossing open fields a nightmare sometimes. Due to having to take over 3 continents, and 4 major islands it was a major campaign unless you had an incredibly large force vs. the pirates on planet at the time.
The new world is .85 g so a 6/9/6 becomes a 7/11/7 and slower means don't get a bump and faster mechs get about the same bump amount until 12 walk and higher. The world is still warm, but not crazy, and now much more dry. There is one major continent and one isle to worry about. The isle almost looks like it is begging to become an invader's initial stronghold while the rest of the major city/town/forts an invader can in theory play connect the dots and never even have to cross the major components of the world's rivers. Still fun fight but different character - only the apparent nature of the locals ALL looking out for themselves and so not being able rest at all anywhere calls back to the old hopelessness of taking the world to try and end its helping extend piracy outwards.
I suppose I even vaguely remember a third world type for Tortuga Prime, but it was much less details than these two descriptions and early in the fiction description.
So my question is (again, not a complaint - both had fun points) why make such a wide description and detail change for a world? I mean both efforts sure looked like they had a lot of work put in them (both have world maps even - IIRC with color and such). Not thinking the 3rd had such, even if it did exist, but just with focusing on these 2 the rather large change seems to suggest a reason.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: Tortuga Prime - Why the changes?
« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2024, 21:17:42 »
I was not involved in the production/writing of either Commando Quarterly or Touring the Stars: Tortuga. 

However, I would note that Commando Quarterly was explicitly a fanzine, and not a canon sourcebook.  It falls into the same category as MechForce Quarterly, Mech Magazine and BattleTechnology - something that could be mined for canon material by official sources, but not canon in and of itself.  Therefore, TtS: Tortuga was not bound by the details in Commando Quarterly, continuity-wise.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Register