Author Topic: Deep Space and Interplanetary Exploration - The Universe is Timeless  (Read 176858 times)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Re: Deep Space and Interplanetary Exploration - The Universe is Timeless
« Reply #1050 on: 11 October 2018, 16:26:11 »
MS-09 launched on June 8th and has a guaranteed lifespan to December 5th (180 days docked, though that's stretchable). MS-11 is planned to launch December 20th.

I think 200 or so days is the upper bound. Everything hinges on the decision to launch MS-11 whether manned or unmanned. I believe they also need Hague's maintenance skills for some ISS work.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1052 on: 11 October 2018, 17:58:24 »
The livestream of the launch was uploaded onto youtube; it seems there's a complete booster failure - ignoring the simulated telemetry shown, and listening to the event it sounds as if the first stage just quit.  Possibly something with the escape tower; when it detaches it's a hell of a violent jolt that you can see on the crew camera.  It was very soon after that that the emergency was declared, and the crew is talking about freefall almost immediately, yet according to the simulation it should still be running on the first stage engine.

https://youtu.be/ib_5qDr7uIM

Liftoff is at 24:25, first emergency call is T+02:45 at 27:10 video timehack (11:42:17 local time).  "The failure of the booster" could be anything. 
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1053 on: 11 October 2018, 20:23:35 »
Hopefully they will be able to go through the data figure out what went wrong with the booster.

ISS going need something sent up there. From what i read, at least one of the commercial spacecraft is closer to being ready but the paper work is what bigger issue get through.

ISS won't last long if the crew leaves.  :(
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1054 on: 11 October 2018, 20:39:53 »
NASA can fly it remotely for a time and the orbit is near the high end of its range, so less atmospheric drag, but yes. There is a limited time due to maintenance.

Neither of the CCP spacecraft are going to be ready in anything like the time required. Soyuz will have to become spaceworthy again first. I would be reasonably confident about that given the program's history, but that drill-hole in the current spacecraft, while not a factor in getting the crew home as the affected wall is the orbital module, indicates possible QC issues.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1055 on: 11 October 2018, 20:43:24 »
It's okay, they can just drift over to the Chinese spa-oh wait.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #1056 on: 13 October 2018, 08:01:56 »

I'm all for man spaceflight, i just don't see why were seeing moon a lot.

"Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it.  He said, 'Because it is there.' "
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1057 on: 13 October 2018, 09:57:44 »
It's okay, they can just drift over to the Chinese spa-oh wait.
Given the relations between ESA and the Chinese it's not really that farfetched to mount something KURS-compatible on Shenzhou 12. I mean, Germany and Italy already have two astronauts that have taken part in taikonaut training for Shenzhou, have been learning Chinese for five years and that in one case has already been on ISS (the other one is supposed to go up in 2020). And the capsule's been ready for a while. Just gotta pull the deployment schedule forward a bit.

Well, if NASA wasn't in the way.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1058 on: 13 October 2018, 10:49:46 »
https://youtu.be/ib_5qDr7uIM

Liftoff is at 24:25, first emergency call is T+02:45 at 27:10 video timehack (11:42:17 local time).  "The failure of the booster" could be anything.

Scott Manley is going for a failure of the oxygen vent that starts the strap on booster rotating away from the rocket.

https://youtu.be/QMUJ004Dr8Q

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1059 on: 13 October 2018, 18:53:44 »
Makes sense to me.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1060 on: 23 October 2018, 12:05:36 »
This Mercury Satellite BepiColombo (Cowboy Bebop?) does a camera test, of taking pictures of self.

Another thing i just read is amusing...but bit strange is Nasa gave temporary named some constellations....oddly with pop culture names. Like the Tardis, Starship Enterprise, Hulk to name a few.  It was done with the Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope. 

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1061 on: 23 October 2018, 13:22:43 »
BepiColombo (Cowboy Bebop?)
The spacecraft is named for Giuseppe "Bepi" Colombo, an engineer and mathematician who first implemented gravity-assist in space missions - as part of mission planning for Mariner 10's spindown to Mercury in 1973.

One of very few people who lived during the space age - he died in '84 - to have the honor of having a mission named after them. Only other ones i can think of were Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar, Lyman Spitzer, James van Allen and Eugene Parker, and for planned ones of course James E. Webb (note: all of them NASA spacecraft...).

Planck, Fermi and Hubble for other 20th-century people with missions named after them all died before Sputnik.

does a camera test, of taking pictures of self.
MTM - "Mercury Transfer Module", the carrier spacecraft - only carries these three cameras, and only for the purpose of self-monitoring. Left picture is M-CAM1 which observes deployment of MTM's solar rays; M-CAM2 (center) and M-CAM3 (right) instead observe the satellite carried forward of MTM (MPO), precisely its medium- and high-gain antennas respectively - MTM itself doesn't carry communications gear and uses MPO for that during interplanetary transfer.

The monitoring cameras will be used during all flybys - at Earth (Apr'20), Venus (Oct'20 and Aug'21) and Mercury (Oct'21, Jun'22, Jun'23, Sep'24, Dec'24, Jan'25) - for snapshots during the cruise phase.

MPO's instruments for protection are mounted on the side that faces MTM, and thus are not usable until MTM deploys her at Mercury. Forward of MPO the second satellite MMO is stowed during cruise.
« Last Edit: 23 October 2018, 13:31:43 by kato »

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1062 on: 23 October 2018, 14:20:40 »
P.S.:

From bottom:
- MTM : propulsion unit
- MPO : separating satellite (ESA)
- MOSIF : protective structure for MMO
- MMO : separating satellite (JAXA; nickname "Mio")

MTM basically carries it all to shortly before Mercury and releases the stack there before orbital insertion. MPO will first detach MMO, then ditch MOSIF and then move into its own orbit.

MMO, once no longer in MOSIF, will spin up to 15 rpm for heat management and enter a high elliptic orbit around Mercury.
MPO, will go into a medium-altitude polar orbit around Mercury. Heat management is done through that huge radiator at the front in the above picture.
MOSIF stays attached to MPO for two more maneuvers after MMO is deployed, and is then released into "a safe direction" - meaning probably towards the sun.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1063 on: 25 October 2018, 13:51:26 »
Intrigue of the Rocket Manufacture world.  :P

Good Lord, I knew Boeing was underhanded, but good grief. Way they stuff, i'm surprise US still in space business!

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1064 on: 25 October 2018, 16:18:07 »
Just to bring it into perspective: You realize that's a SpaceX propaganda website?

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1065 on: 06 November 2018, 05:41:07 »
More news from our recent speedy visitor 'Oumuamua.  You remember the part where it's accelerating out of the solar system?  Where it's not just on a Keplerian orbit but is actually speeding up more than it should be?  A couple astrophysicists at Cambridge point out it's got the flight characteristics of either a lightweight comet or a lightsail...and it's never shown any sign of a coma, tail, or outgassing of any volatiles at all.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1810.11490v2

'Oumuamua's next stop is Pegasus...noteworthy in that 51 Pegasi was the first Sun-like star discovered to have an exoplanet companion.  Nah, just coincidence.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Postcards from the Sun
« Reply #1066 on: 16 December 2018, 15:32:02 »
The Parker Probe has sent dozy of a picture of what's like to be at the edge of the Sun. I got this report from spacedaily.

The image is from November 8th,  this is the coronal streamer, seen over the east limb of the Sun.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1067 on: 17 December 2018, 18:20:36 »
Love that Parker probe.  The science and speed combo is fantastic.  Not only do we get a new view of the sun, we get an ongoing test of the extreme limits of out technology.   Boundaries are set up to be surpassed with each orbit of the Parker. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1068 on: 18 December 2018, 18:35:48 »
The second of the Minerva-II-1 hoppers stopped moving about a week ago, exceeding their original planned life span of a few days by several months, hopping some 300 meters distance along it and taking over 200 photos. The first one stopped moving after ten days and 40 photos. Both rovers are still in active communications with Hayabusa 2.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1069 on: 18 December 2018, 19:21:48 »
The hopper technology is figuring huge in future proposed missions.  Mechanical and propeler driven (where atmospheres are present) hopper ideas are now the idea dejour, especially for missions to moons and yes, future asteroid missions. 

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1070 on: 21 December 2018, 10:44:48 »
What direction is New Horizons going vs where newly discovered 2018 VG18 (aka Farout) Dwarf Planet?  I know she low on fuel, but does anyone think it's in right position to attempt top steer that direction?  I know it's remote chance of it if going direction, but i wanted to ask people's options.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1071 on: 21 December 2018, 11:08:35 »

I found XKCD comic amusing addition to the rocket launch news weekly report put out by Aris Technica.

Since next year posed to have a lot interesting launches next year.
SpaceX going be launching two Heavy Falcon launches, the US Air Force maybe purchasing some Falcon 9s for their own use.  Delta Heavy going to be hopefully launching soon, with Dream Chaser mini-shuttle cargo variant finally getting off the ground next year to say least.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1072 on: 22 December 2018, 07:40:29 »
Someone show this to Elon Musk just so SpaceX can be the first company to reunite stages midflight.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1073 on: 22 December 2018, 19:14:23 »
This image is courtesy of Space.com and the European Space Agency via its Mars Express orbiter.  A frozen lake in Korolev crater, near the martian north pole.  It is pressumed to be mostly water ice. 

Regardless of what's in the crater, this is a beautiful shot.
« Last Edit: 22 December 2018, 19:16:50 by rebs »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1074 on: 22 December 2018, 21:54:33 »
Its awesome.  My only thing about Mars photos that there been this under tone that NASA has to colorize pictures or something.  Is the picture actual picture with colors that human eye would see or does it look different because how light and atmosphere change what we see?

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1075 on: 22 December 2018, 23:29:18 »
Its awesome.  My only thing about Mars photos that there been this under tone that NASA has to colorize pictures or something.  Is the picture actual picture with colors that human eye would see or does it look different because how light and atmosphere change what we see?

That's a good question.  It apears to be natural colors, but I could be wrong.    In the original size picture, the resolution is incredible; you can see the fog over the colder surface below.   I tried to attach this so people can get the original size but it's the wrong format and wouldn't post.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1076 on: 23 December 2018, 02:33:55 »
HRSC takes four pictures with parallel mounted cameras with blue, green, red and infrared spectral filters (plus three additional with b/w canted cameras for 3D effects). These are later processed into a single color picture, in this case they additionally created a mosaic out of five spot sessions.

The colors are corrected for lighting and atmospheric effects using another spectroscopic instrument on the satellite as well as pictures being taken of Earth with another HRSC model for comparison. This mostly reduces the red and increases the blue compared to how Mars Express sees it from orbit, in order to emulate a "as its really colored" view. There's about a dozen different color correction profiles for various latitudes and ground composition though and e.g. the ice is likely differently corrected than the ground around it.

The original stitched-up picture (21 MB TIF, 4K resolution) is straight top-down. For the oblique view shown above the color picture is overlaid as a texture onto a digital terrain model and canted.
« Last Edit: 23 December 2018, 02:46:58 by kato »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1077 on: 24 December 2018, 14:56:20 »
Looks like New Horizons is on course for it's next encounter, with 2014 MU69, Ultima Thule.

Reported here on Vox.

I hope they may have enough life left in the Probe go visit something else before it's off in outreaches.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1078 on: 24 December 2018, 15:28:10 »
Ultima Thule?  Now there's a cool name...  :D

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1079 on: 24 December 2018, 15:37:56 »
Closest approach is, IIRC, about 2200 miles so as long as everything is still working it'll get significantly better detail than the 7300 mile altitude on Pluto.

Register