Author Topic: This Was Easier on the Tabletop - a Battletech SI Fic  (Read 173234 times)

cawest

• Captain
Re: This Was Easier on the Tabletop - a Battletech SI Fic
« Reply #510 on: 27 April 2020, 00:06:23 »
I just can not wait to see when more Lvl two tech hits the "scene" 

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #511 on: 27 April 2020, 00:23:52 »
Liao's on the ropes, and heading for "Sic Semper Tyrannus".

Combine's about to go fratricidal.

Free Worlds is trying to resist snatching victory from the jaws of indifference, with another civil war being warmed up.

Who needs L2 tech? :)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #512 on: 27 April 2020, 03:07:03 »
Jesus, what a series of posts! Excellent work here Chris!  :thumbsup:

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #513 on: 27 April 2020, 05:10:11 »
Excellent stuff! Superbly written as always and the Confederacy is about to become the centre of a feeding frenzy, couldn't happen to a nicer bunch!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #514 on: 27 April 2020, 05:50:11 »
And Ridzik got splattered because Hanse didn't need him, I wonder what Ardan will be doing since there is no need for him to be his handler and oversee the absorbtion of Tikonov republic. Sure, AFFS will have to take a few more worlds by force, but this is balanced by FWL involvement.
Shoot first, laugh later.

paulobrito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #515 on: 27 April 2020, 06:51:10 »
Superb story with amazing writing.  :thumbsup:

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #516 on: 27 April 2020, 15:55:21 »
Needs more Blood to interfere...

After all... Comstar would want to talk to this Mr. Smith...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #517 on: 27 April 2020, 20:20:51 »
That's TWO nights in a row you've kept me up past bed time... well done!  :thumbsup:

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #518 on: 27 April 2020, 21:31:46 »
I really enjoy the "excerpts" from the various textbooks.  A nice way to advance the plot where Smith isn't personally involved.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #519 on: 28 April 2020, 22:14:22 »
I just can not wait to see when more Lvl two tech hits the "scene"

Technically they are as Freezers are now in full serial production on Heph II (and a new line is about to go live on Wernke) and the proliferation is steadily ramping up.
It's just that at the start of the war (and thanks to the Dragoons sucking down a lot of their supply including most of the loose units from Helm and the first production runs) excepting the Dragoons, you didn't see more than a few scattered elites with that kind of gear. And so it was easy to put it down to, in the eyes of the intel people, components from Helm being spread around (the Dragoons tended to stomp the other side so bad not that much intel actually got out as to their superior machines) to elites.

When wave 4 of Rat hits however, Hanse has actually used the time to ensure several shipments of Freezers from Defiance have been packaged as refit kits, as targeted as possible to Mechs that can be so much more critical tactically with them. So, Awesome and Flashmen, Lucifers (my God the pilots now almost don't cry when they strap into one!), Warhammers and so on. Probably 10% of the AFFS Mech fleet involved in RAT are running Freezers now which may not sound like much, but in the right place at the right time....

The LCAF are somewhat in the same boat - but will be doing rolling upgrades going forward and focusing them key spearhead units so most units will still have zero, some units will be running much more though.

And Ridzik got splattered because Hanse didn't need him, I wonder what Ardan will be doing since there is no need for him to be his handler and oversee the absorbtion of Tikonov republic. Sure, AFFS will have to take a few more worlds by force, but this is balanced by FWL involvement.

Ardan is on New Sytris. Currently, pulling everything together as the last of Michaels genuine loyalists are either retired, transferred or otherwise sidelined with fresh blood promoted or otherwise put into place. He's for all intents and purposes the acting Field Marshal of the Capellan March (and hating Hanse for having shoved him into this mess while at the same time quietly happy he doesn't have to deal with Ridzik in this timeline as he wouldn't be sure of not simply capping his ass on first sight). Not to mention having to explain to MHDs wife that he was actually a huge traitor who Hanse has enough data on to have shot on the spot and that Morgan has all but disowned at this point...

He's getting things ready for the Capellan March Command units to kick into the war in wave 5 with three battle groups focused at Menke (Capellan Dragoons; a feint hid-and-run to draw in any remaining reaction forces but hopefully catch any trace of the Big MAC remaining on planet that might be hanging around), Necromo (llician Lancers group; a primary target) and Grand Base (The Crushers in the lead).

That's about as much as the Jumpships can support given events.
"I, the Baron of Strang, care not for your new names. Clans? Jade Falcons? I call you by your true name: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will, persecutors of the Periphery come back to lord it over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans!"

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #520 on: 28 April 2020, 22:58:43 »
Is Hanse's goals larger in this SI AU? Are we gonna see a truly gelded CC?
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #521 on: 29 April 2020, 00:52:52 »
 :thumbsup:  nice updates
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

pete879

• Recruit
« Reply #522 on: 29 April 2020, 10:24:28 »
Is Hanse's goals larger in this SI AU? Are we gonna see a truly gelded CC?

Given the forewarning he has about the Chaos March I believe he wants to make sure the CC is well and truly done for to avoid such unrest down the road.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #523 on: 29 April 2020, 20:40:30 »
Since the FWL is starting to peck at them, you'll know it's the end when the MoC and TC start in on them. We might also see the first units abandoning the CC for the Periphery of going pirate.  If that happens, it's all over.

We might start seeing some of the 'Special Weapons', nukes and biowarfare depending on how they deal with Max Max and the rest of them.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

warhammer74

• Sergeant
  • Oh look its a bird
« Reply #524 on: 15 July 2020, 17:18:36 »
Loving the story can hardly wait for the next chapter.  Awesome....

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #525 on: 15 July 2020, 21:57:31 »
Heh.

I saw this thread, and immediately "SQUEE!"-ed.  Welcome to the wait.   :)
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Zureal

• Lieutenant
  • There are Mechs incoming? Bring up T-Rex!
« Reply #526 on: 07 August 2020, 09:38:48 »
Well all that extra stuff is indeed GREAT I also cant wait to hear about what happend when Smith woke up after he got knocked out.

Mackon

• Private
« Reply #527 on: 07 August 2020, 18:50:51 »
Head injuries are tricky, forinstance he could revert to his true accent 'dinky die, struth, she'll be right mate!,  Crikey!, G’day' and so on, instead of the psudeo-pommy speech we put on for the tourists.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #528 on: 08 August 2020, 20:17:44 »
I was told that was " Kiwi " talk...

:D
TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #529 on: 09 August 2020, 00:49:08 »
Don't insult us by saying we are Kiwi's.
Trust TT to throw that in. :D ;)
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #530 on: 09 August 2020, 05:49:14 »
  I’d rather you jokers didn’t insult Kiwis by implying Aussies are Kiwis!  How does that old joke go?  “Kiwis who leave New Zealand for Australia raise the average IQ of both countries.”  ;D

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #531 on: 09 August 2020, 17:37:54 »
Now now...

Kiwis are just a fuzzy tart green fruit with a squishy inside and small black edible seeds.

Zealanders and Aussies speak a weird UK dialect that's slightly less annoying than most death metal bands.  :)

Now I want to remove myself...

More please from Smith!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #532 on: 16 August 2020, 09:25:56 »
When Wymton Rufer played for werder Bremen and got the ball going for Goal the whole side went: "Kiwi, Kiwi, Kiwi ... "

.. finishing with "Toooooooor!"

He did not mind ....

drakensis

• Lieutenant
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #534 on: 26 August 2020, 13:58:20 »
You asked, Chris answered.

Yeah, at 24 thousand words, how many posts would that need to be posted here?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #535 on: 26 August 2020, 17:23:11 »
Yeah, at 24 thousand words, how many posts would that need to be posted here?
TL;DR
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #536 on: 26 August 2020, 17:29:56 »
TL;DR

It's worth reading, actually.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #537 on: 28 August 2020, 07:14:11 »
Would have updated this sooner - but some odd database errors.

This first post you can skip if you're not a fan, just a dream sequence shout out to a fun old Spacebattles crack Btech fic. NAIS sedatives are a hell of a drug. Promise you won't miss anything!

Thanks to GundamChief for letting me play with his toys

Chapter Eighteen: Aftermath

Yorinaga Kurita, Mechwarrior of the Draconis Combine, Bane of House Davion and Right Hand of the Dragon stepped into the New Avalon Institute of Science and allowed himself the reward of one full second of personal pride even as his companies kept moving through the breach at high speed, moving with haste yet precision towards their targets as he counted them off.
The burning wreckage of the Battlemechs of both the Cadets who had fought to stop them and his vanguard were scattered all over the area and he let his own personal pride pass and a sense of decorum take its place as he offered a small bow to the wreckage. Honoring the sacrifice of the brave Sons of the Dragon who had without flinching been first to take the walls of the enemy position, opening the way for the rest of them. 

The few remaining cadets were still trying to fall back and being hounded by the remains of his own vanguard, the last of the Mercenary troops fighting bravely but entirely futilely to buy them time to disengage as the fresh troops overwhelmed them in short order. But he knew it would only be a limited time until heavy Davion reinforcements arrived - led by
him- and so he throttled up as the last of his battalions passed him, on his own track. He led from the front of his Command Lance - as he should - both for reasons of duty and out of the practical reason that his ‘abilities’ meant defenders may waste their munitions trying to shoot him.

Truly he had little to fear from single enemies  - but he had learned his lesson on Sakhara where that brave Davion cub had come closer than any other man to ending his life with a bold strike worthy of his family name, staying with his lance. Even so, by taking the lead with his lance, he correctly set the example of advancing without fear as-

Then the world took a sudden turn as his Mech bucked wildly. He was flung forward against his harness with great force, and it was only through extremely ingrained training and reflexes that he was able to snap his long arms ‘up’ so as to not drive them straight into the ground and risk bending them as with a terrific
crash his Warhammer slammed into the ground

How terribly ... undignified.

“Tai-sa!” the shocked and alarmed voice of Narimasa Asano crackled in his ears - thankfully on the private channel they shared. “Are you alright? What happened!”

“I am fine” he assured the other, instinctive checks of his status showing that while he had been shaken, no critical damage was shown and so he started to return to his feet. “And I am not sure, I-” he added, then paused as his Mech
shuddered and he almost fell over again, until he realized his legs were tangled … in a cable, stretched across the road?!

Someone had just tried to
trip his Mech over?

His gaze tracked the cable across the road, back to -

A sign?

A sign he was almost certain had
not been there.before. But a sign nonetheless.
In Japanese.
Which said...

‘Welcome to New Avalon Kurita-san, hope you enjoyed your trip!’

Incredulously, he simply
stared for several long seconds as his Lance closed in around him. He was pleased to see on his TACMAP the rest of his battalions were ahead and pushing deeper into the NAIS exactly as he had planned and ordered, not slowing down for him - and he carefully stepped out of the wire, his dignity far more damaged than his Battlemech.

“A tripwire? How … quaint” Asano-San replied from his
Crusader as he stepped up next to him, sounding idly amused before with a burst from a laser he severed the cable.
But Yorinaga wasn’t really listening as he finally realized that next to the sign was a painted arrow pointing … up?

His gaze tracked up as he twisted his torso … and indeed, up on the top of the building it was in front of was
another sign. Larger and it said...

“Some say he is the secret love child of Natasha Kerensky and the Bounty Hunter” he read aloud over the frequency he shared with his XO before seeing the next arrow in turn that pointed off to the right … ah, another sign there.

“We don’t know. But all you need to know is that he’s called...” Asano read aloud now, his own voice sounding as confused as he felt as they both followed yet
another arrow pointing to the end of the street in front of them-
How exactly all of them had missed it, he wasn’t sure. Especially given the sheer number of spotlights clearly illuminating it.

Perhaps because it was
tiny, shorter even than a Stinger or Locust?

But nonetheless, a Battlemech was standing atop the building at the end of this street. Its head holding a single great red eye glaring at him, with what looked like an SRM pack on its left shoulder and-

...and it was
holding a rifle in one hand? A hand-held weapon for a Battlemech?!

In the second as his practiced eyes studied the situation, the ‘Mechs left foot lightly kicked out and a great banner rolled off the roof and down the face of the building. Unfolding faster and faster until it reached the ground, revealing - a picture of a man.
A man dressed head to toe in white clothes that showed nothing at all to give away who it was, even more so given that he wore a great helmet on his head. A helmet with an opaque visor that seemed to glare at him in a way worthy of similar banners on Combine Worlds showing the stern visage of Takashi Kurita looking down upon his subjects. And as the banner reached the bottom, large words in great bold English letters proclaimed that this person was … .

“Kurita-San … what … is a ‘Stig’?” Asano asked in no small amount of confusion as the Mech above grandly swept its arm to the side and
bowed to them!

“An enemy carrying arms against us” Yorinaga declared as he bowed in turn - bringing his PPCs up smoothly as he rose from the bow and firing from the hip without waiting for a lock as the two particle beams scathed right through where the enemy … had been?
Because even as he triggered his cannons, the undersized Battlemech had deepened
its bow, rolling into a somersault off the roof and allowing the charged particle streams to harmlessly shoot into the sky. And then, with agility he had never seen in any Mech, it impossibly managed a full rotation through the air to, with a flash of jump jets, land on its feet on a crouch.

Impressive, he admitted to himself even as it exploded into motion towards him.

He brought his lasers up but it seemed to slide left and right in a way utterly foreign to any Mech movement profile he had
ever seen as he tried to draw a bead upon it. Oh, its feet had wheels-

It's feet had
wheels!?

The sheer shock and disbelief that hit him as he realized it was just enough to stall his instinctive compensation as he shifted his torso back to get the target precisely under his guns and so he missed, instead setting the front of a building on fire. Adroitly it reversed its course and he narrowed his gaze, certain not to miss this time as he corrected for its odd gait and brought up all his weapons-
But just before his lasers were recycled, there was a flicker of motion in his right hand and a sphere was
flung from its hand in an incredibly long arc straight at him. Something that looked impossibly, yet awfully, like a Battlemech sized-

“GRENADE!” Akira yelled over the channel, his tone one of horror and surprise in equal measure and desperately his Mech moved up, clearly trying to get in front of and shield him.
Yorinaga appreciated the gesture from his Son, but he would have been far better served by him shooting at the enemy instead of futilely moving to try and cover him. Asano did
not make that mistake and weapons fire erupted at this ‘Stig’, the Mech ducking and turning with incredible agility to vanish down a sidestreet, the barrage of missiles missing him by mere centimeters just before the grenade impacted, right at his feet.

The explosion was brilliant, everything going a vivid yellow … and yet his Mech barely rocked from the force. Odd.

And the explosion
stayed a vivid yellow. Wait-

Several alarms sounded as automatic systems activated, squirting blasts of chemical filled water to push off what he belatedly realized was
yellow paint from his cockpit window and his various sensor systems, bringing his visuals back up enough to see Akiras Orion looming just ahead of him.

Yellow paint.

Why? To mark him out? Or make him easier to target perhaps in some way?

No-one around him seemed to want to dare to speak and in the end it fell on him.

“Sou ka” he said simply, starting his Mech forward with deliberate purpose, pushing it aside. “Let us proceed. Time is our enemy and it is ever closing in on us - as no doubt is our target.”

There was a series of acknowledgements and their Lance started forward again as he tried to put the insanity out of his mind. Clearly, this unknown Mech was some kind of NAIS prototype pressed into service for this battle. And if nothing else, it was an excellent example to all of them of why this place needed to be destroyed.
Marching forward with increasing speed as he realized that he was being left behind, he moved through several streets, swinging his torso around to lead the way as he turned into and out of streets -

- which meant he was the first to spot the annoying pest of a Battlemech once again as he turned down onto a new road, despite its best attempt to crouch and half hide behind a corner of the next intersection up, in the shadows.

He called out a sharp warning as he brought his weapons around - but his Mech rattled as its gun flashed and a sustained burst of fire walked over his Battlemechs torso. He blinked in some astonishment at the perfectly accurate fire - in
none of the battles he had led for the Dragon in this invasion had even one Davion Battlemech been able to target him, yet this - ah!

Of course!

In an instant as the fire cut off, he realized that the rifle this thing was carrying in its arms, it had a sight on top that the Mechwarrior was looking down. Like a
real auto-rifle! And it was visually aiming and shooting it.
That took much skill - and ingenious thinking - except that the detached weapon predictably was firing only very light rounds. A machine gun perhaps - no, not even that! His armor indicator had flashed registering the hits, but no damage indicators stayed on indicating armor ablation. It was as if … wait …

Had it hit him with even
more paint? Yes, some kind of liquid had splattered all over him, again, mixing with the damn yellow paint?

Feeling exasperated, he triggered his guns - and this time had satisfaction that as the enemy Mech tried to duck behind the corner of the intersection. But anticipating its move, he led it and shot
through the building proving the ancient maxim that concealment did not necessarily equate to cover.
There was the flash of an explosion and he was
very pleased to see what looked like half of the ‘Stigs’ rifle clatter back into the intersection, showing it had lost its primary weapon.

“After it!” he snapped and throttled up, pounding up the street as his lance belatedly tried to keep up.

“Sir - I should take the lead” Asano insisted from his
Crusader and even though he couldn’t see him, Yorinaga curtly shook his head.

“Iie” he said, more strongly than he normally would have. “He has challenged
me” he said and his XO wisely remained silent as he came around the corner with his lance at his back - but hanging behind him to cover him. Smiling thinly, he realized the Mechwarrior had finally made a mistake - this was a dead end urban canyon, with tall buildings on all three sides and at the end of the street the enemy Mech was stationary, facing him. He knew this design had jump jets - he had seen them fire earlier. But while it might be able to ascend out, it would be a perfect target if it tried and with the entire dead-end street less than a hundred and fifty meters long, he had him dead to rights. And so he walked forward-
He felt the
snagging feeling of his foot hitting some kind of cable - but this time it gave way easily and snapped and he let his smile turn into a smirk.

If this ‘Stigs’ plan had been for he and his colleagues to trip over again then it was in for a very unpleasant-
Three things then happened in
very rapid succession then.

First, on the left and right side of the road, two high-power industrial grade fans normally used to move air around on large space stations turned on as the tripwire snapped and triggered their power switches, going from zero to several thousand RPM in moments for several seconds before burning out.

Second, the massive wave of air generated erupted into very
very carefully organized piles of something white and light, sending them in a sudden wave to engulf his Battlemech, once again shutting down his vision and sensors.

Third … music stated. A screaming in his ear that made him wince before his computers automatically dropped the volume. Static and then a very
very powerful radio signal that utterly swamped his Battlemechs communications systems on every broadband frequency. Something only a very powerful transmitter could do and leaving him only his direct line of sight radios and laser comms.

And as music went, it left a lot to be desired.

“A-well, a bird, bird, bird, bird is a word! A-well, a bird, bird, bird, bird is a word…”

Confusion reigned as the white fell away from his cockpit and he saw the enemy Mech at the end of the street was …

Dancing? Dancing to the music!?

Bird? Word? What was this insani-

Then he happened to look to his left and in the mirror-glass front of the NAIS building there he could see a quite good reflection of his Battlemech and what had been blown at him.

Feathers.

His Mech was covered in yellow paint … and now feathers.
Feathers that were adhering to him where it had blasted his torso and arms with its rifle - it must have been some kind of adhesive - even as the paint slowly started to soak into them, turning his proud family Battlemech into …

A Giant. Yellow. Bird.

The mortal enemy of the Dragon in Kuritan mythology. The thing he thought he had seen that day when he had faced Morgan Kell in that duel that still haunted him to this day.

Something in the back of his mind
snapped as he slowly looked at the still stationary but wildly gyrating Mech ahead of him.

“A-well-a don't you know about the bird? Well, everybody knows that the bird is a word”

The Alpha Strike that erupted from him was joined - without his permission but he didn’t really care- by a similar salvo from his lance and the end of the street exploded into fire, the fury of the Dragon unleashed and sending a massive cloud of fire and smoke pouring into the air-

And a second later with a loud clunk a large chunk of metal landed at his feet. The head and upper torso of the enemy Mech. Victory! Even though that damned music was still playing-

No.
Not victory. Unless his firepower had been so ferocious as to compact the enemy Mech into a Two-Dimensional piece of flat metal, he was very sure that this was not his opponent but some kind of cutout decoy. One he could see that had hinges and joints that had let it move and dance driven by some kind of motor on the back that still had its head jolting back and forth until with a snarl of rage he slammed his foot down and found some tiny satisfaction in shattering the thing as he looked around. Where the hell had it gone-

As if in answer, a beep on his sensors flashed showing a target directly above him and he on pure instinct took a knee with his Mech to stabilize himself as he swung his Torso back and his arms up on as high an arc as he could, looking for his opponent target that was no doubt on a roof or even perhaps trying a DFA ...

It wasn’t.

Through the clouds of smoke he was able to see the enemy Mech was ascending up into the heavens at speed -
waving at him in sheer impudence! - but … that was not what had his attention.

Everything up until this point since he had entered the NAIS had been humiliating and vexing - but not impossible. Simply an enemy with a complete lack of decorum yet admirable courage he could admit given the odds against him.

But as he stared up into the night sky that was no longer empty, he simply … stared as the ‘Stig’ was winched up on a very fast cable that was retracting into the hanger bay of what he was reasonably sure was a Star League Defense Forces
Texas class Battleship, that was hanging in the air at about a thousand feet in the way dropships sometimes did and Warships tended to not do - unless they had been able to have a brief chat with reality and convince it to take a smoke break for five minutes.
Helpfully, his Battle Computer without asking interrogated it and it returned a transponder of ‘SLS Pretorian’ for its identity -
and that it was the source of the overwhelming radio music.
He simply stood there and
stared - along with his Lance who were seemingly equally stupefied by the impossible, terrifying yet majestic sight as the music stopped and a voice came over the channel.

“And by special request of Prince Davion, this one’s for you Yorinaga!” it said before it started to sing to a completely different beat of music.

“What's new Kurita-Cats, whoa, oh whoa!” was all he heard before lighting erupted from the gigantic slab of metal rained down upon him and everything went white, putting him gratefully out of his misery-
"I, the Baron of Strang, care not for your new names. Clans? Jade Falcons? I call you by your true name: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will, persecutors of the Periphery come back to lord it over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans!"

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #538 on: 28 August 2020, 07:15:43 »

My eyes flickered open, then closed to a squint against the light shining into them. On reflex I took a deep breath-

I regretted that decision immediately.

A spike of pain shot through my chest and I winced and hissed slightly. It wasn’t overwhelming or agonising or anything, but it was sharp enough to make it be known that my ribs were lodging an official protest over everything I had done to them.
On the plus side, the burst of information through my nervous system as I flinched worked to rather immediately wake me fully up and clear the fogginess from my head as I squinted and blinked away the light. Letting my eyes adjust as I tried to recall my last memories…

Ah. Right.

Falling like a rock from a street light to the ground and slamming my head against said ground after being twirled into the side of a building.
Mental note - invent small cockpits so I could bloody well wear power suits inside a Battlemech in the future and eject ‘living legends’ style out of them...

Clearly time had passed since then because I was on a bed and not a battlefield and as I stared at the ceiling overhead, I also noted the absence of any Stig-like figures holding up signs as they taunted Yorinaga Kurita … or signing battleships hovering excitedly over the battlefield.

So I was pretty sure I was awake now. Probably.

Man, whatever the hell they had had me on, I needed less of it … or more. Not sure which yet - oh hey, this ceiling is familiar...

Pushing aside the Shinji-Ikrai’isms, I started to try and move, feeling oddly unbalanced in the bed before a voice cut my thoughts-

“Oh good, you’re waking up on schedule” a far-too cheerful voice called out to the side and I tilted my head in that direction, then blinked rapidly several times as a familiar face came into view from the side … walking at a weird angle…

“Please tell me that wasn’t all a dream?” I got out in a raspy voice that was nonetheless dripping with exasperation.

So help ROB if I’m in a Gods Damned bullshit looper scenario-

“I could see how you might think that” Janice said with a twitch in her smile that suggested she found the idea amusing, “but assuming the last thing you remember was making a not-quite perfect ejection? Then the last few years were not a dream” she replied and I sighed as my muscles relaxed and I flopped back onto the bed, taking a more careful deep breath and finally understood why I was feeling like I was at an odd angle ...because I was.
This bed had gone full Minbari style and was sloping at an angle up from the ground.
I’m sure there was a reason for that, buggered if I knew what it was - and I winced again as I tried to shift a little to get more comfortable.
“Careful, you had broken two of your ribs” she warned as she stepped closer and started to fiddle with a control on the side of what I realized was a hospital bed and with a hum the back behind me started to rise more steeply and the ‘bottom’ near my feat came up a bit and reformed into a more conventional bed with its back raised. “You also had some light spinal strain from the ejection, a rather well sprained right ankle and mild electrical burns on your shoulder. The last of the sedatives are being flushed out of your system and a stimulant replacing it - hence your waking up - but if the pain gets too much, let me know.”

“It’s not too bad” I replied as my back became propped up, bringing the room into much better focus and I started to tense and test my limbs and muscles, pushing past the occasional spikes of pain and twinges of stiffness to find my hands, feet, fingers and toes were all seemingly functional. So the ‘spinal strain’ didn’t seem to have done any major damage. I could tell my shoulder was bandaged and it seemed there was an IV hooked into my upper arm somewhere. And I could feel medical sensors all over me, much the same as were used in Battlemechs.

In all honestly … it could have been worse.

A lot worse.

Pushing past that I directed my attention at the person standing next to me as she handed me a cup of water with a straw I eagerly consumed, clearing my throat a few times carefully as I considered her presence. Dr Janice Besson was the psychiatrist who had been tasked with damage control after I had unceremoniously woken up one day in a different universe to the one I had gone to sleep in. Dealing with my - understandable I think - denial over the events in question and working to get me back to being a functional member of society after I had come to accept it (being treated to a bunch of Mechs walking down the street in front of you followed by a fleet of Dropships taking off tended to do the trick).
She had even done it without me giving away the fact that I had found myself inside a fictional universe and what that had done for my sanity levels. Although the drugs she had put me on for those first couple of weeks had probably helped a great deal with that...
I had completely lost touch with her shortly after being ‘let loose’ into the real world, when I had admitted everything to Hanse Davion and fallen into a MIIO black hole. After returning to New Avalon from my adventures on Helm, Tharkad and Sakhara and spending a few days each week at the NAIS, I had thought a few times about trying to get in touch with her. Even just dropping her a line to say ‘hi’ or ‘lets catch up for coffee’ or something … but every time I had considered it, it had brought back some rather unpleasant memories of those early months in this universe...

In short, I had pussied out.
Well, she was here now … and why was that?

“So uh, it's good to see you Janice, but I have to admit I’m a bit surprised you’re here waiting for me to wake up.” I tried to move my neck then - only to find resistance and I realized belatedly I was in some kind of light neck brace or restraint stopping my head moving much. Annoying. But probably there for a reason. I glanced around as best I could and saw I was in a hospital room- and from the style I was indeed sure this was NAIS. A far smaller room than the one I had been in last time which had been a set of apartments generally used by visiting nobility, but then even having a private room given the aftermath of the battle when I’m sure space was at a premium was a sign that someone was pulling strings.

Probably Quintus Allard, wanting to make sure if I talked in my sleep, no-one would be listening.

“Prince Davion made it very clear he wanted someone to keep an eye on you when you woke up to answer the questions you were likely to have” she explained as she finished bringing me to a full sitting position took my empty cup before she went out of line of sight for a second, the brace preventing me from following but she returned moments later dragging a stool and carrying a folder to sit down next to the bed. “And given our previous interactions, Quintus Allard volunteered me.”

Yeah, this was definitely about the ‘no talking in sleep’ thing.

“My condolences” I replied in a deadpan tone as I realized that Hanse was clearly still around to give orders and felt a bit of relief that my efforts hadn’t been wasted - something that would have been greatly exasperating really. “I seem to have found myself volunteering for a great many things since we last talked” I admitted, oddly feeling tired despite just waking up. “Things that have led to … well ...”

“Do you regret volunteering?” she asked after I trailed off before pausing and shaking her head off my look and holding up a hand. “Sorry, force of habit there. Actually John, I put my hand up to see how you were doing. You fell off the grid - and all the MIIO liaison here would tell me was that you were fine and working with them now. Then you show back up in the First Prince’s command company of all places as a full blown Mechwarrior? I have to admit that was … a little unexpected. Still, I’m very happy to see that you’ve more than landed on your feet - ejections aside.”

“It’s … been an interesting road” I reflected with as much understatement as I could put into my voice, thinking about my crazy path to this bed. Janice was of course cleared on how I had arrived in this universe ... but as far as she and almost everyone who knew how I had come here understood, I was ‘just’ a temporal fish out of water from a slightly different 21st century. A fascinating curiosity, but nothing more than that.
Only - at last count- fourteen people in the Inner Sphere knew the complete truth about me and included two House Lords with the rest almost entirely made up of direct reports to said House Lords and incredibly trusted associates.

Well and a gaggle of mad scientists in Team Banzai. Some of whom might even still be alive...

“But I take it from your statement Hanse Davion is still alive?” I refocused myself, shifting slightly to try and get comfortable.

“Very much alive” Janice nodded. “As is Morgan Hasek-Davion and Jackson Davion and-

“Pappa Company?” I asked, trying to keep my voice steady - although I was rather sure my urgency and angst shone through at that question.
Then I realized she probably didn’t have a clue who the hell I was talking about.
“Uh, they were the unit-”

“The powers that be expected that you would be asking after them” she said as she passed over a couple of sheets of paper I hadn’t seen her holding and I forced myself not to snatch it from her as I accepted it and quickly started skimming through the brief report therein...
Hanse (or more specifically whichever staff officer he or Yvonne Davion had tapped for this) had written a neatly condensed status report on each of the people in the company, clearly for my eyes and I distantly made a mental note to thank them for the gesture. Two of the kids were flagged as WIA. A little banged up, but thankfully nothing more serious than my own injuries with broken bones and the like. The remaining four were already back at CMS enjoying what amounted to ‘leave where you couldn’t actually leave’ until things got back to normal. Three of their Mechs were trashed but salvageable while three were dispossessed with total constructive losses.
Still, I rather suspected they would be on the priority list for either an upgrade to one of the bigger DCMS Mechs that was going to be salvaged, or, a fresh build from one of the factories on New Avalon after, you know, helping to save the First Prince.

I on the other hand…

Well, Royal Command Battlemechs didn’t exactly grow on trees and Helms' other three sister-Mechs to mine had long been shipped out to Operational Test and Evaluation pilots. And as I (ROB willing) wouldn’t be anywhere near the front line in the near future, I wasn’t on any kind of priority list for a new Mech anyway.

Making me, dun dun dun; Dispossessed!!

I honestly couldn’t care less. But I had a sinking feeling that I’d get yet more of that ‘Oh no, you’re Dispossessed? You poor bastard!’ attitude that had driven me nuts at the academy. With people thinking they had to walk on eggshells around me lest I have a mental breakdown at the overwhelming shame and stigma of no longer ‘really’ being a Mechwarrior…
Still. In the end, I could live with it if it meant Hanse lived too. And if my first ‘command’ had not resulted in me getting a bunch of cadets I had manipulated into the battle getting killed under my orders-

“You’re thinking about how you manipulated the cadets into joining the fight” Janice observed almost idly and I blinked, then shot her a look as I handed the paper back, huffing slightly.

“I don’t think I ever told you how bloody annoying your ability to read people's minds was, did I?”

“No, but if I could read minds you wouldn’t need to, would you?” she pointed out sweetly as she put the papers back into the folder and slotted it into her folio.

I gave her my best level stare.

She returned it and I sighed, irritated at her utterly unassailable logic.

“Okay, you win that one” I admitted. “Janice, I manipulated those kids-”

Cadets” she interrupted me, with somewhat atypical bluntness, her eyes narrowing slightly. “They were not kids. They were soldiers so don’t denigrate them like that. You were not born here so I don’t think you appreciate just what that means to-”

“I know exactly what it means to them” I cut her off in turn with a not-quite glare to mask my guilt. “The status, the ‘honor’, the expectations upon them to be one and I pressed every one of those buttons to drag them back into the fight” I didn’t quite snap at her.

“No John” she corrected me calmly after a few seconds. “You simply did your job - and they did theirs. None of them were conscripts, nor were they children. Every single one of them was an adult who had sworn their service to the AFFS and knew they were joining to face and kill the enemy in battle - which was going to happen inevitably. If not today, then tomorrow. Every. Single. One. Of. Them” she punctuated the words for emphasis, “stepped forward to do their duty. It was a very nice speech you gave them - and I’d be curious to know what 20th or 21st century movie it was actually from by the way - but if you think that it was enough to convince a bunch of scared ‘children’ with war machines to do something they really didn’t want to do?”
She paused and shook her head at me once.
“If anything, from what Cadet Stengovich told me, she was convinced she had failed as a Mechwarrior in her first exposure to combat and had made a mockery of her family's legacy. And that it was you who redeemed her of her failings by giving her a second chance-”

“Failings? That's crazy!” I cut in with no small amount of exasperation. “She and the rest of the cadets got rumbled by a tactical genius leading a hoard of Elite Mechwarriors! That they were able to even stay alive as long as they did is …. oh very well done” I rolled my eyes and sat back into my bed-chair thing, not quite sulking. Annoyed at myself for falling so neatly into her trap.
If I admitted their skill in staying alive against the impossible odds, then I could hardly think of them as helpless children or deny that they were trained soldiers of the AFFS, could I?

I thought it was too” she agreed lightly as she held my gaze, drilling straight through my self-indulgent moping. “All of you undeniably went above and beyond the call of duty, even by Davion standards, but it was your - and their- duty nonetheless. A great number of people with vastly more experience on the battlefield have judged your performance and seem to very much be in agreement with that sentiment. And they wanted me to drill that into your head before you got caught up in some kind of guilt loop, given events.”

“...were you always this direct?” I muttered at her, then narrowed my gaze in consideration and looked back up as her words caught up to me. “Hold on, what exactly did you mean by ‘given events’?”

“Ah. Remember when I said you were the hero of New Avalon?” she asked and I nodded (as best I could anyway). And she opened her folder again and this time, she handed over ... a folded up newspaper?

-Baron Stepan Von Strang

Chris OFarrell

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #539 on: 28 August 2020, 07:16:05 »
Amusingly, a thousand years hadn’t managed to kill the newspaper off. Its popularity had seemed to wax and wane over time, but throughout the 3rd Succession War it had been very much in vogue, differentiating itself from other media mostly because with Sphere Wide information only coming into even the biggest planets and VIPs thereof a few times a day (and often with days or a week between HPG signals for other worlds), they took the time to do detailed reporting and analysis that gave them a distinctly professional air missing from vid news..

Well that and, you know, ‘Battletech’ where the old joke about taking a horse ride to catch your interstellar flight still held true off worlds like New Avalon, in places where global data nets were often non-existent. News - often transmitted between Jumpships and then to planets along their shipping chain- was often reprinted on local presses under licence agreements with capital and regional capital worlds. Which meant that this copy of the New Avalon Herald -considered the ‘Flagship’ newspaper of the Federated Suns - was printed on at least three hundred Federation worlds and even on a few dozen Lyran and even a number of Free Worlds League planets. And yet more worlds cribbed stories from said newspaper like the old Associated Press wires of my youth for their own mastheads...

In short; a lot of people were going to be reading this ... and I didn’t like that feeling as I slowly took the paper from her, unfolding it to look at the front page-

And looked.

And looked some more.

Honestly, I couldn’t find words despite several attempts, simply staring...

The front page (blazoned with a ‘SPECIAL EDITION!’ banner) was entirely made up of an enhanced still from someone's gun camera. Showing the exact instant my Battlemechs fusion reaction had let go and started to wash out the image with light, having crash tackled Kurita’s Warhammer, just short of the point of shoving him onto his back from the force.
It didn’t show my ejection seat - I was too far up in the sky by that point - but, it did show me.
Specifically; a decent sized insert on the bottom right corner with my AFFS file photo.

“Pictured; Lieutenant John Smith saves Hanse Davion and the Federated Suns; avenging both Ian Davion and his comrades killed and crippled at Sakhara. Full coverage of the Battle of New Avalon on pages 2 through 12” I slowly read out the block of text at the bottom of the page, my eyes feeling like they were bulging worse than Gowrons right now…
There was no way the AFFS Press liaison office would ever release anything about me given the number of red-flags that were triggered in DMI’s systems by even looking at my (actually entirely generic and uninteresting) AFFS service file, without asking higher up people. And no-one outside of the Davion Guards and senior field commanders knew who was in my Marauder … and as Sir Humphrey had once said, the ship was state was the most unique ship of all in that it so often tended to leak from the top down...
This could only be Hanse Davions work.

The bastard.

“I thought it was best you found out from me” Janice explained delicately as the silence dragged with me simply staring at the newspaper.

I’d never been front page material or anything close to it, in any of my lives … and here I was. Very literally on the front page of an interstellar newspaper...
It was, uh … jarring. And my brain had annoyingly seemed to have forgotten how to form words...

“When I said you were the hero of New Avalon, I really wasn’t kidding” Janice pointed out rather unnecessarily into the silence, clearly trying to prod some kind of reaction from me, but my mind was elsewhere. Perhaps this was Karma coming back to me for all the fun I’d had springing the surprise on the Dragoons?

Eh, if so, ****** it. Still totally worth it to see Clanners faces twist like that.

“Pretty quick work on the papers part to get this information out this fast…” I finally managed as I glanced at the picture, figuring this was in fact probably from the First Princes own gun camera given the angle. Damn, I had cut that explosion a little fine if he was that close when I cooked my mech off...

“Less then you might think John” Janice replied and something in her tone made me pay attention, almost … sheepish? “It’s actually been five days since the battle.”

I blinked at that.

“Five days?” I repeated her words after a long, awkward silence. “I’ve been unconscious for five days?What the ******...

Sedated, yes” she nodded. “After you were picked up off the ground by an infantry team and rushed here by the medics, you went in for some very minor surgery on your spine. Nothing serious, it’s actually a pretty routine procedure to make sure there is no long term damage from an ejection compressing things. But they took the opportunity to fix your ribs. The gel they used is new tech and incredibly effective, but it requires you to be very very still to let it set and be metabolized by your ribs to fully repair the bone. It’s much easier to just immobilize you chemically. And unless you like being fully aware and awake but unable to move a muscle in your body…” she paused, giving me enough time to shake my head slightly with wide eyes and make no secret of how horrifying that sounded … “then keeping you unconscious was far easier.”

“So … wait, you’re saying my ribs are healed?” I asked in some bewilderment and at her nod, I breathed in a bit. There was pain, but it wasn’t anywhere near as bad as I thought it might be. So I did it again. And again.
My clear disbelief earned me a bit of a snort from the Doc, who crossed her arms in front of her with an almost disbelieving expression in her face.

“Really John? So being transposed from an alternate universe and pulled a thousand years through time is perfectly possible, but ribs being healed in a week is completely impossible?”

Yeah, I had no comeback even in the ballpark for that.

“Fair point” I muttered, processing the fact that most of a week had passed without me knowing. A darkly suspicious part of me suddenly wondered if Hanse had wanted me on ice for that time so he could set up this whole propaganda bullshit and get things moving to a point I couldn’t stop them…

I repeat; bastard. Magnificent bastard perhaps, but still bastard.

Presently Janace glanced at her watch and frowned before standing up. “John, sorry to say but if you are okay, I have to get going - I have a session with a number of cadets in five minutes” she noted and I nodded and gestured at her to proceed.
I wasn’t going to spin out of control or anything.
I think.
Leaning down, she pulled a small satchel up from the floor and from it she pulled out … a noteputer?

The things still looked and felt to me like a mid 90’s laptop, although I noticed in interest this one had a built in verigraph security system on the side. I had seen them used in the Den but never had one issued to me. They were incredibly expensive and rare -mostly jealousy guarded Lostech hand-me-downs- meaning whatever was on it had to be classified for my eyes only and I felt a slight chill as I accepted the device, accepting it as carefully as if it was a live bomb, grunting at its weight a little.
“The doctors will be back in about fifteen minutes to get you up. You have a kit bag in the cabinet over there” she gestured to the small cupboard in the corner with one hand even as the other reached back to gather her hair back into a simple ponytail, pulling an elastic off her wrist at the same time - somehow - to lock it into place in one smooth motion. And as she did I couldn’t help but notice how frazzled her hair looked.
“And apparently orders will be delivered to you sometime this afternoon - hopefully with a hospital discharge.”
She paused for a second as she gathered her things, regarding me with a close gaze and didn’t quite make me squirm. “It was good to see you again John” she added after a few seconds. “Just … try to stick the landing next time alright John?”

I couldn’t help but laugh at that - trying to push past the pain in my chest now that I knew my ribs had been apparently glued back together or something and that I probably wasn’t going to make things worse.

“I will” I agreed with a nod and she nodded back, picking up her bag and starting to head out - but I felt compelled to call out to her as she moved off. “Oh and Janice?””

She paused before reaching the door and looked back and I had to think for a second. It was more obvious now that I was thinking about it but she looked … tired?
I got the feeling she had been awfully busy the last few days - and clearly still was - but she had still taken time out to check in on me.
That … meant a lot. I didn’t have that many people I’d call friends … and ****** Kurita had just run a wrecking ball through those I could. So...

“Well, I just wanted to … well … say thanks. Not just for being here today, but for everything. I get the feeling you’ve been just a little busy over the last few days and it means a lot that you still took the time to, you know, be here?” I tried to awkwardly thank her for what she had done for me.

“You’re more than welcome John” she answered and from the way her smile sort of softened a little, I think she understood what I was saying before she nodded and left, closing the door behind her.

Well, it seemed I had a little time until the medical people arrived. I glanced at the noteputer but after a second of consideration moved it onto the bedside table, not wanting to risk anyone walking in on me with it just in case the content was highly sensitive.
Instead, I picked the paper back up and started to read through it, leaning back onto the pillows behind me. Pages two and three seemed to be all about the final skirmish in the park and I quickly flipped past that, not wanting to read the Davion propaganda on me just yet.
Pages four and five however was a double page feature with a map of Albion and Brunswick showing a broader strategic overview of the outcome across the planet and the units involved. The final count in the summary box was that Yorinaga Kurita had attacked New Avalon with one hundred and eighty two Battlemechs, fifteen Dropships, twenty one Aerospace Fighters and several Draconis Elite Strike Teams numbering about thirty to forty commandos in total. In addition, a handful of ISF cells on New Avalon had gone active (luckily all under watch by MIIO), resulting in some running firefights across the planet, short lived as they had been with the force that was brought down on their heads.

The Davion defenders had met them with one full Regimental Combat Team, one independent Mech regiment and one Mercenary Mech regiment plus several militia units - and the DEST team that had crashed into Mount Davion had been confronted head on by the permanent infantry garrison from the 1st Davion who never left the place. Who had proven, once again, that contrary to what Hollywood and its modern equivalent said, even elite Special Forces soldiers tended to get their asses handed to them when confronted by ten times their number of much more heavily equipped and well trained assault infantry on their own turf.
Even so, the 1st had taken stiff losses with almost eighty dead or wounded. And entirely unsurprisingly, not one of the DEST commandos was taken alive.

In fact, all the units involved in the defense had paid a high price for our victory.

The Crucis March Militia RCT had gotten off relatively lightly on the RCT level, losing only a company of Battlemechs and a few mixed companies of other ground forces, mostly trying to protect the light industrial areas outside NAIS proper. Most of the rest of their combat commands had never even been engaged, scattered across the planet as they were. One Combine dropship had managed to semi crash-land in the parking lot of Lycomb-Davion Introtechs facilities at Ukron and tried to fight it out as a giant pillbox, shooting up the place until the Militia had brought in field guns and simply blasted the damaged ship into trash. None of the production lines, safely buried underground, had been touched but the ancillary support and administration buildings were going to need more than a coat of paint before things got back to normal.
And someone was going to figure out how to remove thousands of tons of Dropship wreckage from the parking lot - I suspected it would take more than a tow truck.

The conventional fighter wings of the local militia had done sterling work; their rocket strafing attack on the bulk of the Genyosha had done a hell of a job in sandblasting armor off a lot of Battlemechs. But even that brief low level pass over the main body had cost them sixteen jet-fighters and their pilots as the elite Combine troops had reacted sickeningly quickly to return fire at the almost unarmored aircraft running Mach-1 at treetop level; a situation where any hit or loss of control was going to send you cartwheeling into the ground with no hope of correcting.

The Swordsworn had taken pretty stiff losses too. Despite all their advantages, the enemy were still among the best Mechwarriors the Combine had to offer with absolutely nothing to lose and had gone down swinging. Only fifty percent of the Honor Guards Mechs were fit for service - insomuch as they needed ‘standard’ repairs but were functional. Of the Mechwarriors, only fourteen were KIA but forty were listed as WIA, over 50% of the personnel. Hopefully, most of them would recover.

And then … then there was the grim news.

The holding force made up of Team Banzai’s 1st Battalion and the Cadets reserve battalion, who had taken the full force of Kuritas charge and Kamikaze fighters head on....

‘Wrecked’ was probably the kindest thing I could say based on these reports.

A half dozen members of Banzai's 1st Battalion were listed as KIA and I clenched my teeth as I read through the names of several people I considered friends, fighting off the tears that tried to push up onto my face. BB himself was listed as WIA with most of the rest of them but three names...

It was almost like BROB had mashed together the defense of NAIS in the original timeline by Team Banzai plus their utter curbstomp at the hands of the Geynosha on Northwind into one unholy ******[/I].

Inhaling and exhaling - and embracing the spike of pain in my chest to try and wrestle the angst back under control, I pushed past that section and glanced at the cadets battalions corner of the page - and immediately wished I hadn’t.
I knew they had gotten brutalized given what the ki … cadets … had told me during the battle, but it seemed every one of their Mechs bar the three ‘damaged’ units from Pappa Company plus one other Lance that had managed to get clear had been knocked out as TCLs. Incredibly, only four Mechwarriors were listed as KIA, but a staggering twenty were listed as WIA... which meant only eight Mechwarriors had made it out ‘more or less’ clean.
I shouldn’t have been surprised; the combination of the communications disruptions, the huge difference in skill between cadets facing their first battle and the handpicked elite of the DCMS when everything had gone tits-up …

Simply put, the cadets had been completely out of their league.

The AFFS infantry on campus had also lost over fifty people, with ten times that many wounded. But for all that, they had been -rightly- singled out as showing incredible courage and skill to knock out eight Battlemechs and inflict damage all out of proportion to what infantry were expected to be able to do on the 31st century Battlefield, forcing the enemy out and straight into the arms of the Swordsworn.
Even so, the losses made me remember my suggestion originally that I give my Mech to someone else and join the infantry that had been flatly refused by Hanse...and wonder what might have happened if he had taken me up on it?

Pushing on, I flipped through the next couple of pages, snorting in a sort of amusement at the state of the Davion throne room. The three thrones on the dais had clearly been introduced to a shaped charge or two, the huge and ancient Davion flags hanging behind them had been set on fire and badly burned despite the best efforts of fire suppression systems and the framed texts of the treaties that had brought the Federated Suns into being signed by Lucien Davion had been rather deliberately sprayed with Kanji that, according to the translation from the paper, roughly meant ‘The eternal Dragon owns all of you eternally!’ or something along those lines.

I guess it lost something in the translation.

Seriously, 1/10 for effort there boys. You had one chance to make a history defining troll of House Davion … and that was the best you could do? See, this is what happens when you let political officers try to troll...

I shook my head and flipped the page and chuckled. Showing that the Federation was always willing to poke fun at itself in a time of crisis, there was a cartoon of Hanse Davion, standing in the smoking ruins of the throne room … looking horrified. With a speech bubble thinking in horror that ‘Melissa was never going to stop asking for new drapes now!’ Cute.

I sort of kept skimming, but my mind drifted more as I considered the outcome of this. Sure, Takashi had gotten an internal propaganda victory out of this mess - I’m sure the footage of the Davion Throne Room being trashed would become omnipresent in internal Combine propaganda for years … but that was about all he had gotten. The damage to NAIS was the single glaring dark spot - but I had a sneaking suspicion as I skimmed some of the shots and commentary that Hanse was having it dramatically played up for the sake of ComStar. I knew for a fact that everything in any way irreplaceable had been evacuated weeks ago along with the key personnel while these reports were hinting at the opposite. And while Kurita may have thought that he could take out Hanse and derail the Federated Commonwealth (and had come more terrifyingly close than I liked to admit), in the end he had failed.
In short; this had been a failure for House Kurita.
Not a complete failure and as failures went it was pretty spectacular … but a failure none the less that Hanse was no doubt going to make lemonade from both internally and externally.

I dreaded the thought of what my role in that might be-
Any further thought however was cut off by a brisk knocking at the door.

“Come in!” I called loudly and the gaggle of medical staff came in, right on time.

I tried not to think about how some of the devices they were pushing on trolleys or carrying looked just a little sinister. Scolding myself and noting that these were professionals here doing a job, which wasn’t to inflict pain on me, I sat up and set the paper aside.

-Baron Stepan Von Strang