Author Topic: BattleTech Campaign Blog  (Read 8521 times)

klinktastic

• Master Sergeant
    • Hexare Grenadiers Campaign Website
BattleTech Campaign Blog
« on: 27 January 2011, 21:39:13 »
If you're interested in following allow with MadCapellan's semi-monthly campaign, check out my blog at http://klinktastic.blogspot.com/.  We use his homebrewed campaign management system  We are current involved in Operation: Thunderstrike and have just finished the liberation of Vestallas and have just finished an AeroTech game, having us break through Texlos's aerospace assets.
Check out our actual play campaign website which contains all our after action reports, unit profiles and mission analysis at: www.ourbattletech.com/hexare

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
Re: BattleTech Campaign Blog
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2011, 06:43:39 »
Nice work.

Shall have a Proper read of it when I get home.

At a quick glance thou Piotrowski's Predators Air support looks like it might prove costly.
You need to get those lads training and quickly.

klinktastic

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2011, 22:06:08 »
Yeah, those Defiances are expensive....but worth it.  I've only lawndarted 1 in about 3 or 4 uses.  I just gained enough EXP to make them all 5/5 pilots.  I hope you enjoy the read. 
Check out our actual play campaign website which contains all our after action reports, unit profiles and mission analysis at: www.ourbattletech.com/hexare

Dragonfire

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2011, 22:34:06 »
Klinktastic could you explain the campaigns rules ? They sound interesting.

klinktastic

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2011, 00:25:15 »
I'm not 100% privied to the exact rules.  Our GM, the infamous MadCapellan, created a simplifed system based on Economic Points (EPs) as opposed to C-bills or what have you.  EPs roughly equate to a ton of equipment.  So in most instances, a 75 ton 'Mech, costs 75 EPs.

The actual campaign started at the beginning of the Jihad, while MadCapellan lived elsewhere.  Hey ended up becoming house mercenaries for the Capellans (no surprise) and finished up Sovereign Justice.  When he moved, he got a new group together, starting at Operation: Thunderstrike.

Those of us just joining (over a year and a half ago) started with 4 'Mechs totaling 275 tons (EPs).  From there, we are able to grow our forces through purchases or salvage.  Most repairs of damaged equipment are free.  Replacing weapons and armor costs the tonnage value in EPs. 

Green pilots cost 5 EPs and regular pilots cost 50.  However, with regular pilots, they come with a randomly determined 'Mech.  I've gotten a Commado this way.  Another guy got an Atlas.  It's a pretty good deal, but you can get shafted occasionally.  But generally, its pretty fun to make that roll.

The EPs we gain from missions are based off of our completion of mission objectives and a function of the value of the units we brought into the mission.  The more value at risk, the more EPs you can gain.  Every mission, you have to pay upkeep on the units on your list, regardless if they are used or not.  Auxilary staff, such as techs and other non-combat personnel's upkeep cost is rolled into the individual 'Mechs upkeep to simplify that process.  Additionally, everytime we change planets, we have to pay a transportation fee, which is why we're starting to buy our own dropships.

For pilot experience, you get 1 EXP for going on the mission.  At the end of the mission, the OpFor vote for one pilot to get a bonus point.  Then the group at large picks a team MVP for another extra point.  If you OpFor, all of your forces (all units) get 1 EXP, as they've been deemed to have spent the time training. 

So yeah, that's the basics.  As of right now, MadCapellan determines our missions and route, since we are under the command of the CCAF.  Eventually, after Thunderstrike is complete, we might have a sitdown and plan out our next move.  But we are at least a handful of months away from that.  I'll see if MadCap will give me some specifics on how he determines EPs and the like.  I've been bugging him, but between his real job, his writing for Catalyst, and some of his other hobbies completely flushing out his campaign management system and putting it on paper (word file) is not in his priority list I'm sure. 

Anyway, I hope I've given you a decent idea of the system.  I hope you enjoy following along in our adventures.  Feel free to comment here or on the blog.  Thanks for showing interest!!!!

Dragonfire

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 29 January 2011, 15:39:08 »
Thanks! It sounds cool.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2011, 13:08:30 »
There's a discount for lower-tech units, as well. I got a pair of 3025 Centurions (fighters) for 25 each while my Charger 1A1 was 40 or 50.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

klinktastic

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2011, 08:44:38 »
There's a discount for lower-tech units, as well. I got a pair of 3025 Centurions (fighters) for 25 each while my Charger 1A1 was 40 or 50.

Ah, good too know.  Yeah, like I said, there's various rules, probably 25% of which I'm not aware.

You know what's weird, since the CBT board's went down and I reposted this thread, traffic to the blog tripled...at least for a  week.  Starting to die down a little. 

klinktastic

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 10 February 2011, 22:24:29 »
The Hexare Grenadiers have punched through the initial air defenses and begin their assault on an underground factory. I am playing the OpFor and we've added a new mercenary commander to the ranks. Come check it out at http://klinktastic.blogspot.com

klinktastic

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 24 February 2011, 21:36:36 »
After clearing off the mountain pass's defenders, the 2nd wave of Hexare Grenadiers head forth into the caverns to clear the tunnels of the Davion defenders.  Would we be able to submit the defenders or be repelled in the narrow corridors?  Check it out at http://klinktastic.blogspot.com!

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #10 on: 25 February 2011, 03:58:25 »
Having more bodies always makes a game go quicker.
Cause your not all waiting on the same person.

Should the op force only have 1 person next time you play. I suggest that the side with more plays takes turns marking damage on some of his units to help speed up the turn.

klinktastic

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 02 March 2011, 21:53:57 »
Hey Markhall, we were doing 1 OpFor, but now that we have 7 players, it makes the game 1000% more efficient to go 2 OpFors to 5 Players.  The 1 OpFor vs 6 Players ends up with the OpFor just doing the movement phase and writing the to hit number and passing the Recordsheets off for the others to do the rolling and damage taking.  Gets pretty boring.  Also, we were averaging about 5 turns in 7 hrs with just 1 OpFor....but were able to get 11 with the 2 vs 5 set up. 

As a side note, my blog is in the process of being transitioned over to www.ourbattletech.com.  I'm currently transitioning some of my campaign tactics articles as we prep the website to host my after action reports.  I'm going to leave the blog up until it's transitioned completely.  I'm very excited as the community at www.ourbattletech.com is very active in supporting BT fans who are working on projects.  Please go check it out!

Wolf Reaper

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Malo Mori Quam Foedari - Death Before Dishonor
« Reply #12 on: 03 March 2011, 12:35:18 »
For those who read it, I was the opfor controlling the Marauder and Atlas.  Man did I suck that day.  [rockon]
Star Colonel Vladik Ward
318th Wolf Striker Cluster
"The Blood Pack"

Sic Vis Pacem Parabellum  -"Those who seek peace, prepare for war."
"Grant me stillness and serenity as my enemies pound and howl." -Incantation against bombardment

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #13 on: 03 March 2011, 12:53:58 »
Sometimes the Gawds roll with you.
Sometime against you.

Wolf Reaper

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Malo Mori Quam Foedari - Death Before Dishonor
« Reply #14 on: 03 March 2011, 13:51:41 »
And sometimes your marauder overheats from infernos you never see coming and a Cudgel makes you head a ink blot while you are nighty-night. :)
Star Colonel Vladik Ward
318th Wolf Striker Cluster
"The Blood Pack"

Sic Vis Pacem Parabellum  -"Those who seek peace, prepare for war."
"Grant me stillness and serenity as my enemies pound and howl." -Incantation against bombardment

klinktastic

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 22 March 2011, 22:34:10 »
I've been browsing the forums noticing many threads dicussing campaign play.  This is awesome because I honestly believe that getting your Battletech fix by playing with friends in a campaign is the best manner possible.  As such, I've aggregated a list of 14 tips for the commander on the campaign trail.  Check them out at http://ourbattletech.com/2011/03/tactics-discussion-tips-for-campaign-play/.  Feel free to discuss your thoughts here, in the comments section of the post, or at the link at the bottom the of post.  I hope you garner knowledge from my words, and share your knowledge in return.  Enjoy!

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #16 on: 23 March 2011, 03:33:34 »
Nice points on a campagin game.

13. Teamwork wins the war:

This works for regular games as well thou. Nothing like having two lances do their own thing and not support each other.

As does playtesting. You always want to see how a force fairs before you take it on the highway.

klinktastic

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 23 March 2011, 19:19:41 »
Good call on the playtesting.  Take your combinations to the sims (MekTek) and give it a test run.

klinktastic

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 26 March 2011, 16:38:35 »
I just posted up a brand new article on Light 'Mech Tactics, specifically related to high speed 'Mechs moving around 7/11 and higher.  Pretty detailed and indepth discussion on how to use these types of units.  Give it read, it should stimulate some good thought and discussion.

Check the article out at: http://ourbattletech.com/2011/03/tactics-discussion-light-mech-usage/

Zenoflame

• Private
« Reply #19 on: 05 April 2011, 18:26:52 »
Ok, this was probably mentioned before and I missed it (if so I apologize), but if this is an actual tabletop game would there be a possibility that some pictures could be taken?  And if it's MegaMek would you guys be apposed to an observer during the games?

Thank you and once again I apologize if I'm miss-speaking here.

The value of one is much greater, when you are few.

Pardon me Mr. Atlas Sir... you're stepping on my tank.

Start a fire, keep a man warm for a night... light him on fire, and keep him warm for the rest of his life...

klinktastic

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 07 April 2011, 07:06:16 »
We play live but have been really bad at taking picture due to high pace of the games (plus I'm usually jotting down notes with every spare moment for the blog).  Alas, we're going to focus on more pictures to supplement the blog as well.

klinktastic

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 07 April 2011, 07:11:48 »
Hey all!  Just wanted you to all to know that we've completed the transition over to www.ourbattletech.com.  Our Operation: Thunderstrike campaign as the mercenary unit known as the Hexare Grenadiers now has it's own site, complete with unit profiles, campaign maps, and it's own forums.  We've reposted all of the missions from Glasgow to Vestallas and will continue to post Texlos and Warlock as we continue to play.  The new webpage is at www.ourbattletech.com/hexare!  Come check it out!  Definitely provides much more detail than the original blog did.  Thanks to Knightmare, the proprietor of OBT.com for helping us with develop the website!

Note: The battle reports for Glasgow and Overton and part of Gei-Fu are summary reports because we weren't chronicling them yet.  If you want to skip ahead, check out the 2nd tab on Gei-Fu and beyond.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2011, 07:38:01 by klinktastic »

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #22 on: 07 April 2011, 07:50:06 »
Ok, this was probably mentioned before and I missed it (if so I apologize), but if this is an actual tabletop game would there be a possibility that some pictures could be taken?  And if it's MegaMek would you guys be apposed to an observer during the games?

Thank you and once again I apologize if I'm miss-speaking here.

Maybe we can get Klink to snap a few more photos from now on. I know the text in his wonderful summary reports might be getting a bit lonely...  ;)
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

RangerRob

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Campaign GM
« Reply #23 on: 07 April 2011, 08:08:02 »
I'm guilty of this as well.  I know for my last campaign I took a LOT more pics that I am this time through.

It is tough to break up the flow of the game to stop for some pics.  Gonna ask the guys to remind me to take some pics this time.

Images add so much more to re-telling or remembering past games.
Rangerrob

Zenoflame

• Private
« Reply #24 on: 09 April 2011, 13:23:14 »
I have to say Hot Diggity Dang that's some sezzy write ups and site you have there.

Makes me want to move there just so I can get some face to face games going.

The value of one is much greater, when you are few.

Pardon me Mr. Atlas Sir... you're stepping on my tank.

Start a fire, keep a man warm for a night... light him on fire, and keep him warm for the rest of his life...

klinktastic

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 09 April 2011, 13:43:48 »
Thanks Zenoflame!  Glad you're enjoying the after action reports and the campaign as a whole.  We got another 4 or 5 backlogged reports coming out over the next couple of weeks.  Join up over at our forums at ourbattletech.com/forum.  Got a lot of campaign knowledge and experience over there.  If you want to know more about our campaign mechanics, check out this thread: http://ourbattletech.com/forum/general-campaign-discussion/campaign-parameters/

klinktastic

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 16 April 2011, 21:37:07 »
The Hexare Grenadiers are headed to the AFFS underground base in a volcanic mountain.  Step one is to clear the defenders from the pass leading to the entrance.  Check it out here: http://ourbattletech.com/2011/04/texlos-clear-the-mountain-pass-after-action-report/

Feel free to post comments, questions, or start a discussion.

klinktastic

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 19 April 2011, 19:26:53 »
The Hexare Grenadiers are headed to the AFFS underground base in a volcanic mountain.  Step one is to clear the defenders from the pass leading to the entrance.  The second, was to clear the narrow tunnels leading to the AFFS underground base.  Fighting at bottlenecks, the AFFS defenders look to choke the Hexare Grenadier attack off before they could reach the base.  Check it out here: http://ourbattletech.com/2011/04/texlos-clear-the-tunnels-after-action-report/

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 26 April 2011, 11:53:21 »
I like the battle reports but I'd love to see more pictures on your website if possible. 

Register