Author Topic: SPA Cramped Cockpit Question  (Read 2880 times)

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
Re: SPA Cramped Cockpit Question
« Reply #30 on: 20 October 2023, 21:26:10 »
When it comes to the Cramped Cockpit SPA, I feel like I remember hearing something about it being given to mechs that had weapons or other equipment in the head slot.  Not 100% sure on that.

No equipment in the head, but an AS7-D manages to cram a satellite dish that would have made my 1980s home feel proud. The point being: just keep the Quirks to text references first, and perhaps visual cues second.

Adding them without some other basis is a slippery slope indeed.

I think it either depends on Seen or Unseen art or just because. It doesn't bother me enough to ask either. We're still free to use it or not on our tables.

Right, right.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #31 on: 20 October 2023, 21:51:47 »
The Atlas's communications dish is outside the cockpit, though, while a medium laser or other such item is going to take up significant space inside the mech's head.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #32 on: 21 October 2023, 00:26:01 »
It folds into the head for combat. See TRO 3025.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
--A. Duritz

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #33 on: 21 October 2023, 00:46:32 »
Not a book I've ever owned.  Or am likely to own at this point given it's been out of print for so long.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #34 on: 21 October 2023, 01:48:39 »
Fair enough. And, in the interest of fair play, the relevant passage also makes it clear the cockpit is "roomy". It was just an illustration that having equipment in the Head should not automatically equate to a Cramped Cockpit Quirk without other factors being present.

At the end of the day, Quirks are just a way to translate text or visual cues into a codified ergonomic system for a game. Throwing them in without cause weakens the reasoning behind their existence, especially if that reasoning is some imagined salve to game balance.
--A. Duritz

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 21 October 2023, 18:57:53 »
The Atlas's communications dish is outside the cockpit, though, while a medium laser or other such item is going to take up significant space inside the mech's head.

I would think that would depend on the size of the Mech's head and how things were installed. The Vindicator was originally designed with the head mounted Medium Laser intruding into the cockpit area which interfered with the ejection system. The head was redesigned just before the War of 3039 to fix that problem. 

Edit to add
Looking at the Vindicator's art I don't see how the medium laser introduce into the cockpit. I can see the Thorn's medium laser intruding into the cockpit but it only makes the cockpit hotter when used.

One of the mechs in SB:SD was used to test equipment and additional monitors and equipment were installed in the cockpit making it cramped and giving the pilot back pain.

« Last Edit: 21 October 2023, 19:17:38 by RifleMech »

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 30 October 2023, 17:20:39 »
Balancing? meh, in my AU my crap-tacular 10 and 40 ER rated vehicles (those moving 1/2 or 2/3) all get Power Reverse! ... the balancing act is in that they're cheap & slow (just about all carry a hitch or are even built as trailers).  The VToLs and other speedsters get Poor Performance (can't hit flank right away, have to do one turn of cruise then go to flank -- something like that).  (my examples are on the wimpy end of the discussion, regardless balancing is all on the rule of kewl, whether good or bad)
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."