Author Topic: Terrain and LOS  (Read 1800 times)

xbp88

• Corporal
Terrain and LOS
« on: 16 October 2011, 12:53:26 »
If a battlemech is standing on a level 1 hill and a hex of woods is in front of it, does it affect LOS and firing modifiers?  I realize the torso is above the woods but the legs are blocked by the woods, so I'd think the +1 or +2 would apply, at least if one does an aimed shot at the legs.

A. Lurker

• Major
Re: Terrain and LOS
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2011, 13:08:23 »
If a battlemech is standing on a level 1 hill and a hex of woods is in front of it, does it affect LOS and firing modifiers?  I realize the torso is above the woods but the legs are blocked by the woods, so I'd think the +1 or +2 would apply, at least if one does an aimed shot at the legs.

The 'Mech's own "level" is effectively determined by that of the terrain it stands on and its own two-level height, so in this case it's level 3. Assuming the woods are at level 0 themselves, they only rise to level 2; thus, their level isn't equal to or greater than that of the 'Mech and they do not interfere with LOS unless perhaps a potential attacker was just on the other side of the woods (because then, assuming their hex is also at level 0 or lower, the woods would rise to or above that attacker's level).

One might think that the 'Mech might still receive at least partial cover from having its legs covered by treetops, but Total Warfare page 102 specifically rules that out: 'Mechs do not receive partial cover from woods.