Author Topic: Your experience with the Hetzer variants - LRM, SRM and Laser  (Read 8902 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
As it says - the Hetzer SRM variant with 5x SRM6, the LRM with 2x LRM-15, or the Laser with 4x ML. Who's used them, do they earn their keep BV wise?

Thanks,

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
Re: Your experience with the Hetzer variants - LRM, SRM and Laser
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2011, 17:02:14 »
nowhere near as well as the classic AC20 variant in my experience.

the Hunter does a better job at light LRM work, and as far as the SRM variant, if you are going to go big, go all the way with an SRM carrier.

the laser one interests me, but the Sabuku Kaze's Turret will be more effective, or if you insist on cheaper, the harasser laser variant.
« Last Edit: 11 February 2011, 17:06:44 by JPArbiter »
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2011, 17:52:40 »
There's an LRM variant of the Hetzer with 2 LRM-15s  ???

Is this a canon variant and if so where is it from and from what era ?
(I'm mostly a 3025 era player )

I've never heard of these and I'm known for using uncommon and rare canon
variants of vehicles .

Railan Sradac

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2011, 17:57:31 »

AC/20 all the way.

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2011, 20:21:15 »
Like the original.  everything else is just not as good.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #6 on: 11 February 2011, 20:33:22 »
Like the original.  everything else is just not as good.

Not even the LB-X variant?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #7 on: 11 February 2011, 20:37:13 »
Why not a HGR version?  :D :D :D

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #8 on: 11 February 2011, 20:43:05 »
There's an LRM variant of the Hetzer with 2 LRM-15s  ???

Is this a canon variant and if so where is it from and from what era ?
(I'm mostly a 3025 era player )

I've never heard of these and I'm known for using uncommon and rare canon
variants of vehicles .
If there is I'm thinking it just appeared in TRO3039 because I've never heard of them either.
Not that I look to the Hetzer very often for anything.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 11 February 2011, 21:08:19 »

Craig
I like the way you think.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 11 February 2011, 21:21:45 »
I like the way you think.

XL Engine, HGR, 4 tons of ammo.  Perfect fit  :D

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

tomaddamz

• Master Sergeant
  • EVERYBODY NEEDS AN EVIL PLAN
« Reply #11 on: 11 February 2011, 21:24:05 »

Craig

Doesn't an HGR need fusion power?  A GR version would be scary though...

I didn't even know about the 2-LRM version though...actually sounds interesting, a good compliment to Light SRM carriers and Classic Hetzers
Saying that because the equipment isn't up-to-the-minute, bleeding-edge tech therefore not a threat is like saying an M2 Browning isn't dangerous to modern infantry because it is 100 years old.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 12 February 2011, 00:11:31 »
Doesn't an HGR need fusion power?  A GR version would be scary though...
No, HGR is ballistic, no FE needed.
There might be a Gauss version in canon, I thought I'd seen one anyway.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Yeti

• Sergeant
  • Mechanized Infantry
« Reply #13 on: 12 February 2011, 00:47:34 »
No, HGR is ballistic, no FE needed.
There might be a Gauss version in canon, I thought I'd seen one anyway.

Yes, you need a fusion engine (TM p.219):
Heavy Gauss Rifles may only be mounted by units powered by fusion or fission engines

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #14 on: 12 February 2011, 01:13:50 »
Depending on the year, the other variants already have different vehicle that does similar job.  Boomstick version never goes out of style.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 12 February 2011, 02:12:34 »
There's a RAC version in TRO 3085.  Doesn't say which RAC, but I can't see it being the 2.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #16 on: 12 February 2011, 02:21:05 »
It mounts a RAC 5.

Also a C3i and Environmental Sealing.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Railan Sradac

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 13 February 2011, 03:32:53 »
Brilliant!

Thanks, but it's not my joke. Thank the World of Tanks forum, but I thought it would be appropriate here.

I would so go for an HGR Hetzer, but not if you needed an XL to cram it in, those are just too expensive.

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #18 on: 13 February 2011, 13:22:21 »
Not that I look to the Hetzer very often for anything.

if you need an AC 20 to ambush something in a vcity on the cheap, there is nothing like it.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 14 February 2011, 16:28:50 »
Yes, you need a fusion engine (TM p.219):
Well I'll be.  Thanks for the info, I did not know that.  What an annoying exception to the rules.

if you need an AC 20 to ambush something in a vcity on the cheap, there is nothing like it.
If by cheap you mean C-Bills, then I agree, its a great deal for the cost $$.
By BV, I think I would still find myself going with my more urban combo of Demolisher + SRM Carrier.

maddyfish

• Corporal
« Reply #20 on: 14 February 2011, 18:20:44 »
The Hetzer is valuable for what it is , a cheap both c bills or BV way to bring an AC 20 on the field. Using hidden rules or in a city it is useful.

For anything else, other things do the job better. SRM or LRM carriers do their jobs better, any number of tanks do the large lasers job better.
Have Wasp, will travel

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #21 on: 19 February 2011, 19:48:03 »
Thanks to one of the players in my area, I have been beaten up by nearly all the canon variants of the Hetzer (stalwart Liao player).  Do have to admit that I enjoy it though.  It is a vehicle that really gives battletech that OGRE level of fun.  It and the Scorpion and Vedette... those three are a blast to go up against.

Stock is always scary in areas where they can hide or corral mechs into cross fires.

The medium laser boat really can ruin a day when running like a pack of piranhas, especially in succession war play.

The LRM boat really makes my day miserable sometimes, especially if he getting spotters from a more standard stock model.

The SRM boat... never works out well except when he is going up against a vehicle force.   This might be the luck of the player but it is his least favorite cheap box on wheels.

The LBX version.  This is a bane and I enjoy the challenge of going up against one.  Really keeps my VTOL and infantry heavy units at bay.

Haven't seen him drive the WoB Protectorate variant... since I do most of the WoB unit driving and I am not a fan of the Hetzer (prefer hover, VTOL, and tracked with all fairness).  Perhaps I should pull them out and fire at him for a change.  Might be fun, despite not liking RACs much.

Now, there has been a whole slew of custom variants over the years... but those amount to not much to pretty good... depending on the luck and the map that day.  But the end result comes down to this... its a good tank for the price and for its role...  it comes down to this, if you know how to drive and the tactics behind Assault Guns in most historicals, you can drive the Hetzer.

Your mileage may vary.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

Wanderer

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 20 February 2011, 14:43:37 »
I actually like one SRM-pattern Hetzer to every three standards.

They're very good for saturating any holes in a target, and they're also aces for tank killers where a single AC/20 round may just end up denting armor, but 20 SRM's can leave that heavy tank spinning on broken treads or with a locked turret while you wheel away.

The LRM-pattern one isn't bad as a cheap barrage vehicle, but you can do better.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #23 on: 24 February 2011, 12:05:50 »
A pair formation of the LB-X one can really ruin someones day.
Have been tempted by the SRM One for a while now. But have just never gotten around to using it.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #24 on: 25 February 2011, 13:37:16 »
Personal effectiveness has me using 2 LB, a SRM and a Laser variant per Lance with 2 Lances and 2 LRM, an LB and another Laser to round out a Company.

Thats if I am playing other than Marik, of which I throw on a Standard to each Lance using special rounds.

I have been meaning to try the RAC version for my custom Level III Jhiad Comstar unit I run. Looks downright fun, combining them with my LRM / Galleon 103 -104 series force. I use the HGR Demon, so either a trade for one or both... probable just one.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Register