Author Topic: Rank the SW-Era Star League Mechs  (Read 3991 times)

wundergoat

• Master Sergeant
Rank the SW-Era Star League Mechs
« on: 21 April 2012, 11:01:01 »
Like it says in the title, rank the SL mechs within their weight class and give a brief description why you ranked them as you did.  Default criteria is performance of the downgraded model.

Lights:
MCY-98 Mercury
THE-S Thorn
FLE-4 Flea
HNT-151 Hornet
MON-67 Mongoose
FLC-4N Falcon
HER-1A Hermes
HSR-300-D Hussar

Mediums:
STN-3K Sentinel
WVE-6N Wyvern
CRB-20 Crab
KTO-18 Kintaro

Heavies:
CHP-2N Champion
LNC-25-02 Lancelot
EXT-4A Exterminator
BMB-10D Bombardier
GLT-4L Guillotine
BL-7-KNT Black Knight
FLS-7K Flashman

Assaults:
THG-10E Thug
CRK-5003-0 Crockett
HGN-733 Highlander
KGC-0000 King Crab

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
Re: Rank the SW-Era Star League Mechs
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2012, 11:24:16 »
Light:

1. MON-67 Mongoose: 3 MLs, 8/12 and good armor.
2. HER-1A Hermes: Fast, could be better armored.
3. MCY-98 Mercury: I have no RS for this one. It is like an all energy Locust, right?
4. HNT-151 Hornet: Has potential as skirmisher.
5. THE-S Thorn: I prefer the movement profile of Hornet.
6. FLC-4N Falcon: Decent chassis, with stupid weapon scheme.
7. HSR-300-D Hussar: It is fast.
8. FLE-4 Flea: The armor and armament of a Hussar, just slower.

1. CRB-20 Crab: An Ost*** at 10 tons lighter.
2. KTO-18 Kintaro: Gets plus for being a sturdier Commando.
3. WVE-6N Wyvern: Decent
4. STN-3K Sentinel: A Hermes II has better armor and better utility.

1. GLT-4L Guillotine: Very dangerous if it gets close.
2. EXT-4A Exterminator: What the Quickdraw should be like.
3. FLS-7K Flashman: Good energy boat.
4. BL-7-KNT Black Knight: Decent, could use more sinks.
5.  LNC-25-02 Lancelot: I am not really sold on the weapon scheme. Could have used more mediums instead of one of the big guns.
6. CHP-2N Champion: Meh, nothing special.
7. BMB-10D Bombardier: Ammo for six turns of fire, and is down to a SRM-4 and a MG after that? Rubbish.

1. CRK-5003-0 Crockett: 2xLL + AC/10 + SRMs? Yes.
2. THG-10E Thug: Solid.
3. HGN-733 Highlander: The armament does not really impress.
4. KGC-0000 King Crab: Another mech with bad ammo issues.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2012, 12:05:02 »
Lights:
1. MON-67 Mongoose
2. MCY-98 Mercury
- very similar 'Mechs, but Mongoose is five tons heavier and therefore better protected.

3. HER-1A Hermes
4. HSR-300-D Hussar
- I prefer Hermes because of better durability.

5. HNT-151 Hornet
6. THE-S Thorn
- pretty similar, but with jump jets Hornet can jump away from tight places.

7. FLC-4N Falcon
- at least it has some use when hunting Bug 'Mechs as Stinger or Wasp.

8. FLE-4 Flea
- weak armour, but it doesn't have speed of Hussar to protect it.

Mediums:
1. CRB-20 Crab
-speed and great durability, no worries about ammo - one of better SW mediums.

2. WVE-6N Wyvern
- good all-around combatant.

3. KTO-18 Kintaro
- if you really want to make sure that you can crit-seek at will. However, ir really needs other 'Mech to help him to get through armour, and the effective range of its weapons is quite short.

4. STN-3K Sentinel
- fast skirmisher with its AC-5, not much else.

Heavies:
1. BL-7-KNT Black Knight
- armour is similar to other heavy 'Mechs as Marauder, Warhammer or Cataphract of the same era. It has fully articulated hands that may give it an edge if using Tactical Operations rules.

2. FLS-7K Flashman
- on par with Black Knight, but it lacks hands. That's serious problem during raids (common type of missions during SW). Pretty good 'Mech otherwise.

3. GLT-4L Guillotine
- weaker in weapons than previous two 'Mechs, but it's a heavy 'Mech that jumps and has formidable short-range arsenal and armour that allows to stay near the enemy.

4. CHP-2N Champion
- if you resist an urge to alpha strike and use your AC-10 and speed, it will work sufficiently.

5. EXT-4A Exterminator
- a kind of super-Quickdraw, it works best when hunting something lighter than itself. It has jump jets that allow this 'Mech to jump behind enemy, but sadly it suffers bad weapons placement. It would be nice to fire medium lasers into enemy's rear armour and then punch (according the fluff). However, it's impossible - it's either fire, or punch - not both.

6. BMB-10D Bombardier
- Pretty similar to Catapult, it lacks former's brace of Medium lasers. That SRM-4 launcher doesn't help much. It's better protected than Catapult, but since it lacks jump jets (and thus agility) it will probably take more hits.

7. LNC-25-02 Lancelot
- slow speed, low armour, heat problems. No, thank you.

Assaults:
1. THG-10E Thug
- good when you wish to keep some distance

2. CRK-5003-0 Crockett
- solid 'Mech, but a bit slow. The right torso is just a bomb waiting to be set off.

3. HGN-733 Highlander
- too much ammo, plus it has two weapons with longer reach, but one of them spreads damage all over the target.

4. KGC-0000 King Crab
- it lacks ammo, it's slow and it's just a big slow target outside the city or very broken terrain.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2012, 09:04:56 »
Lights:
1. MON-67 Mongoose   A Locust from Hell!
2. HER-1A Hermes    Faster, but otherwise not quite as good as the 'goose.
3. FLC-4N Falcon    Though the machine guns really should point the other way.
4. MCY-98 Mercury    Basically the Locust.
5. THE-S Thorn    A Wasp/Stinger that trades jump jets for weapons and armor.
6. HNT-151 Hornet    Slowing it down didn't gain you much.
7. FLE-4 Flea    Too little armor.
8. HSR-300-D Hussar    I don't care how fast it is, there's no armor!

Mediums:
1. CRB-20 Crab    Just plain nasty.
2. WVE-6N Wyvern    Tries to do a little bit of everything and almost succeeds.
3. KTO-18 Kintaro    Can be a beast up close, but runs too hot.
4. STN-3K Sentinel    Most of the Lights have better firepower.

Heavies:
1. FLS-7K Flashman    A beast, plain and simple.
2. GLT-4L Guillotine    The Grashopper's brother.
3. BL-7-KNT Black Knight    Almost as good as the first two.
4. LNC-25-02 Lancelot    The Rifleman done right.
5. CHP-2N Champion    Fast and well armed, though runs hot and needs armor.
6. EXT-4A Exterminator    Overgrown medium.
7. BMB-10D Bombardier    Six shots?

Assaults:
1. THG-10E Thug    Warhammer with armor.
2. CRK-5003-0 Crockett     Tends to do better than you'd expect.
3. HGN-733 Highlander    Blows up too easily.
4. KGC-0000 King Crab     What a joke!
« Last Edit: 22 April 2012, 15:16:02 by Fat Guy »
I have spoken.

wundergoat

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2012, 14:12:25 »
Ok, finally getting the time to respond to my own thread...

Lights:
MON-67 Mongoose - Brutal, efficient, and fast.  Very similar to the Wolfhound int he backstabber role, though it loses the mid range capability for speed.
MCY-98 Mercury - Mongoose Lite
FLC-4N Falcon - Another mech in the same vein, I prefer the mercury but its a toss up between the two.
THE-S Thorn - LRM 5 for standoff and twin MLs for backstabbing, this is a pretty solid 20 tonner.
HNT-151 Hornet - 5/8/5 is too slow in my book, even though the jumping ability gives it guaranteed mobility.  The thorn's twin MLs are better backstabbing weapons and 6/9 is superior for closing the gap, so I ranked it higher.
FLE-4 Flea - Having such a big gun on such a small platform is excuse enough for me to rank this above the other lightly armored mechs here.  6/9 is perfectly serviceable for midrange fencing and it is powerful enough to cripple many other low-end lights beyond retaliation range.  However, it could have been ranked higher if it didn't spend so much weight on backup weapons with such pitiful range when armor is sorely needed.
HER-1A Hermes - Its fast, but has dangerously thin armor for a mech in the same role as #s 1-3.
HSR-300-D Hussar - Armor is non-existent, but it is an interesting experiment.

Mediums:
CRB-20 Crab - Great balance of speed and firepower with zombie-status durability
KTO-18 Kintaro - Commando on steroids.  It runs hot, but that many SRM tubes on a relatively fast and well armored platform will threaten any mech.
WVE-6N Wyvern - The weapons loadout is a bit to varied for my taste.  This sort of flexibility is something I don't mind on heavier machines but on lights and mediums I prefer specialization.
STN-3K Sentinel - Seems to be an experiment in using the least efficient and effective weapon systems, with thin-ish armor to boot.

Heavies:
FLS-7K Flashman - This is what happens when you drop the Black Knight/Lancelot's extraneous PPC for armor and sinks.  Strong armor, zombie status, and the sinks to fire its blistering short to mid range laser array with abandon.
GLT-4L Guillotine - Great blend of mobility, durability, and short range firepower with a solid stand-off weapon.  Lots of heat sinks lets it use those guns and jump jets liberally.  The only issue is that its firepower suffers in the mid-long range.
BL-7-KNT Black Knight - So many lasers, only so many sinks.  It has the same issue as the lancelot in that it can't fire all its big guns effectively, but it has a much stronger (and heat efficient) backup array along with slightly stronger armor.
LNC-25-02 Lancelot - Zombie status makes up for the thinnish armor, and the triple big guns can dish out the pain.  However, the lack of heat sinks to maintain fire is a big downside.
EXT-4A Exterminator - Good mobility with the power of quad lasers and some backup weapons.  A decent heavy backstabber.
CHP-2N Champion - Too thin of armor for a mech with so much ammo, along with having some heat issues.
BMB-10D Bombardier - Far too little ammo for the role with negligible secondary weapons.

Assaults:
HGN-733 Highlander - I actually like all the ammo on this mech.  The combination of max armor and jump jets let this beast whittle down opponents at range, while it also has the sinks to fire the LRM every turn even into short range.  The AC/10 is a flexible weapon with similarly deep bins and the extra bin of SRM ammo just screams to be filled with inferno rounds.  I have had a lot of luck with this mech anchoring a mobile skirmish line, similarly to a marauder II but with more tricks.
CRK-5003-0 Crockett - The heat management on this thing gives me fits.  Jump jets and max armor are all well and good, but I really dislike not having the sinks to toss in the AC/10 with the large lasers.  The twin SRMs are excellent, and the extra ammo bin can be used for infernos, but with the sinking issues that is probably too much of a risk.  That said, my issues are probably related to playstyle.
THG-10E Thug - A solid workhorse assualt with strong armor and a pretty good weapons loadout.
KGC-0000 King Crab - Twin AC/20s are fantastic, if you have the ammo to use them.  With such small bins, you have to pick and choose your shots, which in turn means not getting the full bubble of doom effect which is a critical use of an AC/20 mech like this.  Thicker armor wouldn't hurt either, especially on a bullet magnet.

Gryphon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2012, 00:36:59 »
Guess I'll take a stab at this one...

Lights:
MON-67 Mongoose: I have to go along with this one, it seems almost like it is the ultimate optimized light mech, fast enough, armored enough, armed enough. The BAP was effectively icing on the cake, so losing it doesn’t hurt this design at all.
THE-S Thorn: I actually like the Thorn. It’s a 20 tonner with an LRM launcher, but it isn’t paper thin like the Locust ends up being. I would take this as a fire support platform for a recon lance any day and as a garrison mech on Tuesdays too!
HER-1A Hermes: It’s a bit light on armor, and at 9/14 it shouldn’t need to defend itself against infantry, but I suppose it would make an adequate infantry and light hovercraft hunter or sorts.
HNT-151 Hornet: So basically this is a Thorn, but slower, with jump jets…SL vs. ML…I dislike its looks, intensely, but have no issues overall with its performance. 5/8/5 vs. 6/9 is the big difference, and I have seen arguments for and against both. I will judge it badly, and say that is largely because I have bad luck with jump jets, and it’s a golf ball with legs…
MCY-98 Mercury: Meh, I’ll take a Locust -1E instead, I like its looks better, and it’s basically the same mech. This one works, sure, but it just seems to lack some essential style factor.
FLC-4N Falcon: This as a SW era mech? Two machine guns are nice I guess, but both of them out the back? And two small lasers instead of another medium? Why? I suppose as an alternative to the Wasp or Stinger it works, but it fails to thrill me really. I do like the six tons of armor at least, so it’s a really tough super bugmech. A Wasp and a Stinger is a quarter against the BV (1), and arguably more mech to boot. I guess the decider is the pilots BV cost really. Overall, Pass.
FLE-4 Flea: Holy Crap…a 6/9 large laser, but only 2 tons of armor…the Hussar does it better, and a 20 tonner shouldn’t do it all. Leave large lasers to 25, or even 30 tonners instead. That and it farts flame…really, really uncool…
HSR-300-D Hussar: Not an XL Laser, 1.5 tons of armor, nuff said. It doesn’t work outside of 2750, and it isn’t till much later it goes back to having any point at all. Extra points for style though…

Mediums:
CRB-20 Crab: While I question the choice of a small laser over another half ton or armor, the ability to run, fire two decent guns for 2 heat, sport decent armor, and have a working heat index of 6 in 3025 does much to endear this mech to me. That, and I have had decent luck with it too.
WVE-6N Wyvern: As silly as it seems, I like 4/6/4 trooper mechs, and this one has the additional advantage of having indirect capability, a decent main gun, and an alright back up missile b=pack. I would actually trade the two small lasers for an MG and a half ton of ammo for some decent anti-PBI work, but then I don’t recall seeing anything about variant here. Even so, decent marks.
STN-3K Sentinel: The armor on this one is too light, especially at “only” 6/9, but I have used one successfully as a harasser, hanging at 10-12 after moving 7-8 hexes, and done alright. I would trade a ton of ammo for either half a ton or armor and an upgrade to a medium laser from the small, or to swap the SRM-2 for an LRM-5 instead, and allow it to stay well outside engagement ranges.
KTO-18 Kintaro: We had one. It blew up. We got another one. It too blew up. They gave us a third one. I blew up, killed the pilot, killed a recovered target, and fragged a command track standing underneath it. These things are dangerous. Like a Marauder, but without the armor and range to back it all up.

Heavies:
FLS-7K Flashman: Face it, it’s pretty hard to beat this version. High marks here as well.
GLT-4L Guillotine: Decent armor, no real ammo issues, classic ground movement, and it jumps. I have to admit, this one almost edges out the above laser egg. The only reason it doesn’t is because it still has ammo, which normally isn’t an issue with me. (Being part of the medium laser mafia, I would actually trade the large for two more mediums in the arm, two more in the side torsos, two more heatsinks, and a pilot with a penchant for getting really, really close to his opponents. And maybe inferno rounds instead of standard…)
CHP-2N Champion: I know that this is supposed to be a 60 ton version of the Locust/Cicada paradigm, but 8 tons of armor is a bit light. I CAN live with that really. Still, two small lasers, instead of a machinegun for anti PBI work…or even a flamer…for shame…
EXT-4A Exterminator: While its fairly mobile, it isn’t really armed like I would expect for a 65 ton mech. It’s also a tad lightly armored for my tastes. Too much is expended unto making it mobile, so in the end, it’s a moderately tougher 45-50 ton mech. It can’t to the job it was intended to do, and it can’t really do the job a 65 ton mech should do, and its too expensive to do the jobs that call for 45 or 50 ton mechs. Honestly, This makes a moderately decent command mech for a 45-55 ton jump capable lance, but that’s about it really.
BL-7-KNT Black Knight: Too many guns, not enough heatsinks and armor. Pass
LNC-25-02 Lancelot: Too many guns, not enough heatsinks and armor. Pass
BMB-10D Bombardier: This one tries to do the job of an Archer, but without enough ammo. They should have sacrificed something else to get two more tones of armor at a minimum. Less armor, fewer tubes, scrap the secondary weapons, something really. Pass

Assaults:
THG-10E Thug: Good armor, reasonable heat curve for a 3025 era mech, and a really nasty punch to deal with those really close range dance partners trying to get under your guns. I think this is a pretty food heavy mech really…too bad it’s an assault mech instead. Still, I would be happy to have one of these backing up my CO.
CRK-5003-0 Crockett: Good armor, decent weapons, an expected movement rate for an assault mech. But it has a very unforgiving heat curve. It would almost be better to swap the jump jets for heat since, and make it a fire support platform of sorts, but as it, I still can’t say it offends me. And apparently it was also used to train assault mech pilots…wouldn’t combat in lighter mechs tend to be better training…
HGN-733 Highlander: Good armor, decent weapons, an expected movement rate for an assault mech. But it has a very unforgiving heat curve. Unfortunately, I can’t say this one is a good idea, at least not without double heat sinks. But it does have a decent main gun, the LRM-20 is a pretty good weapon with a lot of ammo, and the other weapons all give it good close range potential. Still, two tons of SRM ammo instead of another heat sink? *Shrugs* Whatever…
KGC-0000 King Crab: Nope, not worth it really. Five shots per big gun, eight for the launcher, and a single large laser to back it all up? I would have preferred a pair of mediums and a ton of additional ammo per weapon system. You lose a long (for 3025) range weapon, but at least your LRM can fire more often, and the AC-20s last long enough to be a real threat. Ah for the era of the gauss rifle…

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2012, 08:00:35 »
Okay, I'll bite...

Lights:
MON-67 Mongoose:  Great speed, maximum armour, good armament, no heat issues - what's not to love?
MCY-98 Mercury:  It's sort of like a lighter Mongoose.  Obviously it's not as good as that, but it compares quite favourably with the Locust
THE-S Thorn:  I like the armament and it's well protected for a 20 ton design.  A good support  design for light lances.  I've used them alongside Commandos to some effect.
HNT-151 Hornet: Basically the same as the Thorn, I prefer the Thorns speed and slightly heavier armament, but there's no arguing that JJets are valuble.
FLC-4N Falcon:  The MGs are a waste of tonnage, but otherwise this is a pretty solid bug hunter.
HER-1A Hermes:  I like the fact that it's fast and has decent weaponry.  Not so sure about the armour...
HSR-300-D Hussar:  ...and speaking of armour, the Hussar is an interesting idea but the protection really is laughable.  I've actually done okay with this design in practice, but only by giving my opponent several much bigger and much more important things to shoot at whislt going as fast as I possibly can.
FLE-4 Flea:  Urgh - If only the flamer were replaced by armour.  Otherwise a horrible design - all the weaknesses of the Hussar without the single saving grace of speed.

Mediums:
CRB-20 Crab:  It's tough, it's fast, it runs decently cool and has a solid set of weapons.  One of the best introductory tech mediums - period.
KTO-18 Kintaro:  I actually quite like the Kintaro.  Like the Crab it's got a good turn of speed and the firepower is brutal.  Works best when working in a lance of Crabs where it can deliver the finishing blow to wounded mechs.  Really could do with CASE, however.
WVE-6N Wyvern:  Personally I'm not a big fan of small 4/6/4 mechs, but as they go the Wyvern is a pretty good one.  It has decent armour and a nice variety of weapons.
STN-3K Sentinel:  It's like a Hermes II, but worse.  Conceptually I quite like the Sentinel, but like any mech that uses an AC5 it would be much, much better off armed with a PPC and some extra heat sinks.

Heavies:
GLT-4L Guillotine:  It's like a Grasshopper with a more logical missile weapon setup.  A brutal, brutal infighter.
FLS-7K Flashman:  A nasty laser battery and enough heat sinks to use them.  Another brutal mech.
CHP-2N Champion:  It really could do with another ton of armour and some of the weapons should be in the arms, but as a rule I like heavy cavalry mechs and I like AC10s, so the Champion gets a thumbs up from me.
BL-7-KNT Black Knight:  Too many weapons, not enough heat sinks
EXT-4A Exterminator:  Too much engine and not enough mech.  I like it because it's probably the best Heavy Cavalry mech you can get at this tech level, but is it really enough to be a better Quickdraw?
BMB-10D Bombardier:  I like the Bombardier even though objectively I know it doesn't carry enough ammo - perhaps because the Star League era version is one of the faster fire support mechs.  This one I'd avoid, however.
LNC-25-02 Lancelot:  The Star League version is quite good but the LNC-25-02 suffers badly from being downgraded.  Too slow, not enough armour, not enough heat sinks.  Pretty terrible overall.

Assaults:
THG-10E Thug:  Madly tough and good firepower.
HGN-733 Highlander:  Firpower is so-so for such a big mech, butI've always got great results from them
CRK-5003-0 Crockett:  Never actually used one, but looks good on paper.
KGC-0000 King Crab:  What can I say that hasn't been said already...  Five shots per gun and paltry back up weapons - that said I have a friend who enjoys using them...
« Last Edit: 30 July 2014, 10:20:20 by Getz »

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #7 on: 03 May 2012, 20:35:09 »
Lights:
MON-67 Mongoose
MCY-98 Mercury
FLC-4N Falcon
HNT-151 Hornet
HSR-300-D Hussar
THE-S Thorn
HER-1A Hermes
FLE-4 Flea

Mediums:
CRB-20 Crab
KTO-18 Kintaro
WVE-6N Wyvern
STN-3K Sentinel

Heavies:
GLT-4L Guillotine
BL-7-KNT Black Knight
FLS-7K Flashman
CHP-2N Champion
LNC-25-02 Lancelot
BMB-10D Bombardier
EXT-4A Exterminator

Assaults:
HGN-733 Highlander
THG-10E Thug
CRK-5003-0 Crockett
KGC-0000 King Crab
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2012, 03:46:26 »
Let me just say that I'm a big fan of the Hornet just because of how cheap it is.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2012, 11:35:22 »
Let me just say that I'm a big fan of the Hornet just because of how cheap it is.
Ditto, if I ranked these by "favorite" instead of combat units,  I'd have it in #2 behind the Hussar.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Register