Author Topic: New CamoSpecs Online Site  (Read 94515 times)

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
Re: New CamoSpecs Online Site
« Reply #30 on: 03 December 2020, 10:47:45 »
Update this morning:
1.  I think I know what's happening on iPad overlap.  Fixing it is not simple, so I'll add it to our long-term list.
2.  For the moment, the iPhone vertical display is something we'll have to live with.  We'll try to help mitigate by continuing to add to our individual Unit logos so you can tell what you're clicking on.  In essence this is a UI problem caused by a lack-of-data problem.
3.  Good catch on the retired paint colors.  I'll ask the guys on our end to come up with the equivalent replacements.
4.  If you're getting a certificate warning, please make sure you're on HTTPS and then let me know if it's still happening.  I hit it myself yesterday with an old browser link trying to hit HTTP.
5.  We may have a cookie issue with users being asked to accept multiple times.  We're investigating. 

CDT Special Agent #343

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #31 on: 03 December 2020, 22:19:35 »
Borrowing directly from the site, I am grateful & most sincerely extend my heartfelt thanks to ALL the CamoSpecs Artists, both Past and Present. 
And because the site thanks these folks specifically, so shall I.
Shawn Hansen
Andrew Krull
Robin Ward
Jeremy Weyand
Billy Caldwell
Jan Prowell
Mark Havener
Joseph Muniz Jr.
Brent Stanton
Paul Sjardijn
Joshua Franklin
John Haward

:thumbsup: THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!   :thumbsup:

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #32 on: 03 December 2020, 23:11:40 »
5.  We may have a cookie issue with users being asked to accept multiple times.  We're investigating.

So I tested the site on my Mac and it appears that part of the problem is that the cookie dialog isn't rendering correctly on mobile.

I've attached a copy of a screenshot from my Mac. The misalignment issue on my iPad also appears on the Mac.

As well, it appears that the logos aren't aligning correctly.

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #33 on: 04 December 2020, 09:00:35 »
So I tested the site on my Mac and it appears that part of the problem is that the cookie dialog isn't rendering correctly on mobile.

I've attached a copy of a screenshot from my Mac. The misalignment issue on my iPad also appears on the Mac.

As well, it appears that the logos aren't aligning correctly.
The logo alignment is likely the same cause as #1 in the list I posted.  It appears to be a defect in the widget that handles template alignment (you have to use a certain layout).  I think we have a workaround, but it will take a while to get it implemented everywhere.  The Factions page was the first to get it.

Thanks for the info on the cookie as well.

CDT Special Agent #343

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #34 on: 04 December 2020, 09:42:07 »
Just saw that the images in the weathering tutorial are really small. so small that the article is effectively pure text. The images are too small to appreciate anything, and they cannot be opened. Cpuld they be mafde bigger?

In general i find the fact that the units are referenced by their unit logo very counterintuitive. When I do paint scheme research I do not search for unit logos, but by paint schemes. As such, having to enter each article to check on the paint scheme is a killer for me. The non-canonical unit color comprendium webpage is useful as a reference page precisely because it does that: I can look at dozens of color schemes of a faction without having to enter dozens of sub-pages. Wouldn't it be better for Cammospecs to do something similar? If units would have a small image of a mech painted in the unit colors instead of the unit logo in the starting page it would be way m ore useful as a research and painting tool. the unit logo is extremely secondary when looking at a paint scheme and can be inside the unit's page. Otherwise Cammospecs runs the risk of being a secondary secondary source for painting, once you have already selected a unit, but not THE paint scheme/research page it is supposed to be despite its canonicity.

« Last Edit: 04 December 2020, 09:50:08 by Elmoth »

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #35 on: 04 December 2020, 10:25:44 »
Just saw that the images in the weathering tutorial are really small. so small that the article is effectively pure text. The images are too small to appreciate anything, and they cannot be opened. Cpuld they be mafde bigger?
Checking.

In general i find the fact that the units are referenced by their unit logo very counterintuitive. When I do paint scheme research I do not search for unit logos, but by paint schemes. As such, having to enter each article to check on the paint scheme is a killer for me. The non-canonical unit color comprendium webpage is useful as a reference page precisely because it does that: I can look at dozens of color schemes of a faction without having to enter dozens of sub-pages. Wouldn't it be better for Cammospecs to do something similar? If units would have a small image of a mech painted in the unit colors instead of the unit logo in the starting page it would be way m ore useful as a research and painting tool. the unit logo is extremely secondary when looking at a paint scheme and can be inside the unit's page. Otherwise Cammospecs runs the risk of being a secondary secondary source for painting, once you have already selected a unit, but not THE paint scheme/research page it is supposed to be despite its canonicity.
We realize there are some artists out there who want to use the site for inspiration on what to paint, and not for reference.  The 2nd generation of the CSO site (this is the 3rd) had some technology that helped with that, covering both the logo and some thumbnails of painted minis for the unit on a series of summary pages.  Unfortunately, we weren't able to duplicate that feature, but I'll put researching an alternative on the to-do list.
« Last Edit: 04 December 2020, 10:29:24 by 00Dawg »

CDT Special Agent #343

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #36 on: 04 December 2020, 10:33:48 »
Fixed.  Thanks for pointing it out.

CDT Special Agent #343

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 04 December 2020, 10:49:59 »
House Karosas's entry appears to have an extra U in the name for Karousas, and there is a typo in the colors, rey for red.

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #38 on: 04 December 2020, 12:34:26 »
House Karosas's entry appears to have an extra U in the name for Karousas, and there is a typo in the colors, rey for red.
Nice catches.  Should all be fixed.

CDT Special Agent #343

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #39 on: 04 December 2020, 12:53:08 »

It might be a case of the CSS for the cookie dialog not being accessible from the viewport settings in the CSS file

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 04 December 2020, 14:00:50 »
The logo alignment is likely the same cause as #1 in the list I posted.  It appears to be a defect in the widget that handles template alignment (you have to use a certain layout).  I think we have a workaround, but it will take a while to get it implemented everywhere.  The Factions page was the first to get it.

I don't know if this information is helpful, but I do not see the alignment issue using Firefox 82.0.2 on MacOS 10.14.6.

I do see it with Safari 14.0.1 and Chrome 87.0.4280 on the same machine.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 04 December 2020, 14:12:58 »
Can the SLDF fleet scheme be added as an entry to the SLDF section?  Also was the unique world construction color mentioned in the scheme ever elaborated on in any publication?

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #42 on: 04 December 2020, 14:30:33 »
I don't know if this information is helpful, but I do not see the alignment issue using Firefox 82.0.2 on MacOS 10.14.6.

I do see it with Safari 14.0.1 and Chrome 87.0.4280 on the same machine.

I assume that if you extend the width of your Safari and Chrome windows that the problem may go away

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #43 on: 07 December 2020, 10:25:55 »
Can the SLDF fleet scheme be added as an entry to the SLDF section?  Also was the unique world construction color mentioned in the scheme ever elaborated on in any publication?
So far, the short answer to this appears to be "wouldn't do much good".  Some quick checking says that only one construction color has been shown/listed in canon, and the ship class depicted was potentially built on three different worlds.  We are attempting to get some wheels turning to see if we can rectify this. 

CDT Special Agent #343

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #44 on: 07 December 2020, 10:26:59 »
3.  Good catch on the retired paint colors.  I'll ask the guys on our end to come up with the equivalent replacements.
Paint colors have been updated.

CDT Special Agent #343

LeCochonDanseur

• Recruit
« Reply #45 on: 09 December 2020, 00:13:12 »
Site looks great and works great.  Are there plans to add the ability to sort by unit, or do you have to just use the search?  I know the 2.0 site had it, just wasn't sure if it was coming back.

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #46 on: 09 December 2020, 18:44:07 »
Site looks great and works great.  Are there plans to add the ability to sort by unit, or do you have to just use the search?  I know the 2.0 site had it, just wasn't sure if it was coming back.
Can you expound a little on what you mean?

We have the Units listed under the parent Faction (plus the search, of course), but I don't recall anything sortable.  I may have forgotten something.

CDT Special Agent #343

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #47 on: 09 December 2020, 22:07:24 »
Might be looking for the mini listing.  Old site had tabs for factions and minis.  You could cruise the faction list, or the miniature list. 
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

LeCochonDanseur

• Recruit
« Reply #48 on: 16 December 2020, 01:14:08 »
Yeah, sorry for the late response, I just messed up and said "unit" instead of "model".  I meant being able to browse by mech/vehicle.

Starbuck

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: 16 December 2020, 11:21:04 »
1.)
2ND CHISHOM'S RAIDERS RCT are missing a L, should be CHISHOLM'S

2.)
Is there any chance to expand the list of recently added minis (the eight on the right side on the main page)? Like listing or sorting minis by date? Showing only eight, it is easy to miss new additions.
"You promised me Mars colonies. Instead, I got Facebook."
Buzz Aldrin

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #50 on: 17 December 2020, 09:35:11 »
Yeah, sorry for the late response, I just messed up and said "unit" instead of "model".  I meant being able to browse by mech/vehicle.
You've got a couple of options in the new site for something similar.  One is the search bar, for instance, searching for King Crab.
The other is to click on a Mini of the type you want, then the IWM tab, then the Title, for instance, King Crab KGC-000.  That will give you all the examples we have that match that miniature.

If you're looking to browse every 'Mech or every vehicle or every Aerospace fighter, I'm afraid we don't have that broad of a category available for browsing.

CDT Special Agent #343

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #51 on: 17 December 2020, 09:40:04 »
If you're looking to browse every 'Mech or every vehicle or every Aerospace fighter, I'm afraid we don't have that broad of a category available for browsing.

That is what tags are for in Wordpess. You can markup a post with any number of tags and tags are able to be browsed.

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #52 on: 17 December 2020, 09:40:19 »
1.)
2ND CHISHOM'S RAIDERS RCT are missing a L, should be CHISHOLM'S

2.)
Is there any chance to expand the list of recently added minis (the eight on the right side on the main page)? Like listing or sorting minis by date? Showing only eight, it is easy to miss new additions.
#1 is fixed, thanks!

On #2, not at the moment.  If it helps, we've gone back to the Wednesday release schedule as much as we can, with ~4 new minis showing up every Wednesday.

CDT Special Agent #343

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #53 on: 17 December 2020, 09:42:07 »
That is what tags are for in Wordpess. You can markup a post with any number of tags and tags are able to be browsed.
We're using tags.  We just see limited benefit from sorting 5,000+ minis into 6 or so broad categories and tagging them with those.

CDT Special Agent #343

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: 17 December 2020, 11:03:48 »
I've got a question on the search function for some of the OmniMechs with both a Clan and Inner Sphere designation.  Previous they were listed on the site with both names, e.g. Dragonfly (Viper).  Since the relaunch the 'mechs have posted with just the Clan designation.  The search function doesn't seem to be bringing up these 'mechs when using the Inner Sphere designation (e.g., searching for 'Dragonfly' doesn't seem to bring up Brushido's awesome new Dragonfly because it's a Viper  ;) ).

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #55 on: 17 December 2020, 13:15:41 »
We're using tags.  We just see limited benefit from sorting 5,000+ minis into 6 or so broad categories and tagging them with those.

You are using tags and categories interchangeably and they are not the same thing.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #56 on: 17 December 2020, 15:23:51 »
IWM product code for the recent Mongoose 66GX should be 20-5163

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #57 on: 18 December 2020, 21:56:16 »
You are using tags and categories interchangeably and they are not the same thing.
Sorry, wasn’t referring to the WordPress Categories function here.
We are using the Tag functionality for other pieces (and Categories as well), and we could use it as requested, but it would take a lot of work, and is not currently on our roadmap.

CDT Special Agent #343

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #58 on: 18 December 2020, 22:02:09 »
I've got a question on the search function for some of the OmniMechs with both a Clan and Inner Sphere designation.  Previous they were listed on the site with both names, e.g. Dragonfly (Viper).  Since the relaunch the 'mechs have posted with just the Clan designation.  The search function doesn't seem to be bringing up these 'mechs when using the Inner Sphere designation (e.g., searching for 'Dragonfly' doesn't seem to bring up Brushido's awesome new Dragonfly because it's a Viper  ;) ).
This is because we try to use Catalyst’s and IWM’s official names as the basis for our naming convention.  Catalyst chose to just list the Clan names. 
We have a discussion ongoing about this right now with regards to Mechs with multiple sculpts, but I don’t know what the end result will be, or if there will be changes regarding the CGL sculpts.

CDT Special Agent #343

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #59 on: 18 December 2020, 22:25:36 »
So very awesome, nice update.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass