Author Topic: Parts Question  (Read 2944 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Parts Question
« on: 25 November 2019, 17:32:10 »
Is the head on the Wolfhound -2H a separate part from the torso?

Is the head on the Gyrfalcon, either model, a separate part from the torso?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Re: Parts Question
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2019, 17:50:23 »
The Wolfhound 2H and Gyrfalcon Standard both have attached heads.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2019, 17:52:00 »
Dang, I was looking for a Wolf's head to attach after the Gyrfalcon's was removed to make a personalized mech.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2019, 12:39:05 »
You can still do that, it just takes more effort
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2019, 13:18:07 »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #5 on: 26 November 2019, 14:25:18 »
Last time I tried to remove anything- the Primitive Thunderbolt's 3 MLs, it ended up badly . . . since I put it aside, its STILL bad.  So I do not think I can do a head transplant . . . wonder if there is a 3D printed Wolf's head that would work.
Colt Ward

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2019, 14:32:13 »
Last time I tried to remove anything- the Primitive Thunderbolt's 3 MLs, it ended up badly . . . since I put it aside, its STILL bad.  So I do not think I can do a head transplant . . . wonder if there is a 3D printed Wolf's head that would work.

I am not aware of one off the top of my head, but I know some 3d modellers that I could put you in touch with if you want to ask or commission one of them for help.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2019, 15:01:34 »
wonder if there is a 3D printed Wolf's head that would work.
Do you want the Wolfhound head specifically, or a wolf-type head?

https://puppetswar.eu/models-and-bits-47/all-bits/heads/anubis-heads.html

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2019, 16:09:45 »
Yeah, I started finding replacements though I need to check scale.  Basically for a Crusader Wolf who took a Gyrfalcon as isorla I wanted the head redone sort of like the description of Grinner's (which was not how it ended up) in the BoK trilogy . . . erase the vestiges of the Falcon totem and make it a walking wolf, or like Anubis- which is always how I pictured Grinner anyway.  The -2H Wolfhound looked like what I had pictured it, which was why I asked.
Colt Ward

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #9 on: 26 November 2019, 16:55:48 »
I get that you're looking for a replacement piece, but have you considered modifying it to look like a Warwolf or Wulfen head? They don't seem terribly different. Feet could use a mod too.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #10 on: 26 November 2019, 17:56:43 »
I want the ears to pop . . . while the Wulfen and Warwolf have the angled head, I imagine Falcons are quite happy to paint the head up like their totem- and b/c the whole head is slicked back it fits way better than trying to do the same to the 3 Falcon totems.
Colt Ward

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 26 November 2019, 20:45:28 »
Crazy idea, but what about a 40k part?  The Warhound Titan kit for Adeptus Titanicus comes with extra heads and they sometimes make their way to eBay. Might be slightly too big, I haven’t actually seen one in person.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #12 on: 26 November 2019, 21:12:46 »
Yeah, I found a 3D printed one I could modify but I am not in a rush and just checking things out.
Colt Ward

Andrew_Cluetain

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
  • Sniper Mech?
« Reply #13 on: 01 January 2020, 16:38:10 »
Crazy idea, but what about a 40k part?  The Warhound Titan kit for Adeptus Titanicus comes with extra heads and they sometimes make their way to eBay. Might be slightly too big, I haven’t actually seen one in person.

It is much too big for a BT mech, it sizes closer to what a light or medium torso should be.  but the Space wolf marine "wolf" helm might fit better; that said I think it's a premium item on ebay; only 1 or 2 per box...

AT is 1: larger that BT in normal proportions
        2: scaled to N scale or close, they look "right" next to Clixy Mechs

edited for AT info
« Last Edit: 01 January 2020, 16:40:51 by Andrew_Cluetain »
Remember us Ravens seek the ultmate highground, space.

CSR Beta Galaxy

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 01 January 2020, 17:19:33 »
Adeptus Titanicus (and Aeronautica Imperialis, for those curious) are in 8mm scale, or roughly 1:200
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 23 January 2020, 13:28:03 »
That’s a slightly controversial topic among AT players.

People started calling it “8mm” after a GW employee said that a Space Marine would be 8mm tall during a presentation.  Using the old “Xmm” scale convention, that would be a little bigger than 6mm, but certainly less than 8mm.  And indeed, the Adeptus Titanicus titans scale out to imprecise numbers between 1:230 and 1:280.  It’s that broad a range because we have canonical heights for them in meters, but the models are too posable for an easily standardized measurement and they aren’t consistent with each other.  The Warhounds are on the larger end - they’re overscaled compared to the Reaver and Warlord.  That’s probably why they don’t work well with Battletech minis.

To continue the AT scale discussion… it’s common to refer to Z-scale as 1:220 and as 7mm.  I don’t think the math quite works out - if 6mm is 1:285, then 7mm should be 1:244; there’s some rounding going on.  Either way, it puts the game in the 6-7mm range.  I just think of it as 6+ mm.