Author Topic: Simple, easy & complex single-board double blind rules-set  (Read 19368 times)

vidar

• Warrant Officer
Re: Simple, easy & complex single-board double blind rules-set
« Reply #30 on: 15 April 2012, 12:19:43 »
Interesting idea, I used to run something similar but more complex.  Now I have to dig it up and rewite it. 

Papabees

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 24 June 2012, 18:24:52 »
OK Fanboy. We need you to get these into a doc we can download like your scenarios were. I like em.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 25 June 2012, 01:04:28 »
OK Fanboy. We need you to get these into a doc we can download like your scenarios were. I like em.
I'll try to get around to it tomorrow - but I am running a game, and Tuesday I have school/Magic the Gathering, so it might take me a bit.

Plus, I've got a backlog of 20-odd zombies, a 'glom, some tumblebleeds, and 8 heroes to paint, along with 2 half-sculpted Super Dungeon Explore minis...

...now I'm depressing myself. I've gotta take the work in bite-size chunks or I won't get it done.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #33 on: 14 February 2018, 03:29:29 »
A trick we use for double-blind works well for us and is pretty simple.

We take two or three pennies per individual piece (depending on the size of forces involved) with a simple round label sticker on them, marked according to the piece it represents (L, M, H, A, and mech, vehicle, vtol, BA, infantry, etc...) and a number in relation to the number of pennies used (01, 02, or 03).

example - a mech lance of one each of the weight classes would be recorded as: LMech01, LMech02, LMech03, MMech01, MMech02, MMech03, HMech01, HMech02, HMech03, and finally AMech01, AMech02, AMech03.

Players write on a piece of paper which number represents their actual piece and hands it to the GM. On their turn the players on Team A (under the watchful eyes of the gm) move their actual piece according to it's movement characteristics, then the other tokens randomly within the movement characteristics of the piece it's a decoy for. Once they're all done, they step out and Team B comes in and repeats that process for their pieces. Special electronics REALLY come into play this way too, for detecting which tokens are decoys and which is real.

When the movement phase is all done everyone comes back and the GM determines any clear lines of sight or special detections and the game plays out normally from there. If there's a line of sight you replace the tokens with the actual models they represent, but if NO line of sight exists or is lost then the tokens either stay in play or return to play with a different number representing the piece the enemy lost sight of.

Sounds a lot more complicated than it is, and it gives everyone time to talk or get snacks/drinks while they wait on the other team's hidden movement. May not be the best or most sophisticated system, but it's less frustrating and resource consuming than the existing CBT rules.

Cowdragon

• Captain
  • PM me for Ft. Collins CO battletech games
« Reply #34 on: 14 February 2018, 16:31:52 »
was just discussing double blind with my son last night and we decided they were far too complicated and would rather play standard. Plus, he's still learning. This looks pretty decent.

On wings of steel, Come I, Pillars of flame
Mark me, Fury bright as suns, Foes fear
The star back road, I hunt, Blood geld payment
Shan't be, The ravens throne, Blod Orn
- vidar (thank you vidar!!!)
Pie or Spehs and Tanks also BA