Author Topic: Kampfgruppe Steiner Operation: Götterdämmerung or how we survived the Dark Age.  (Read 75643 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
I've literally had people mock me for alleged tactical incompetence simply because they knew I was a Lyran fan. While I was in the process of demonstrating that I'd won before the battle had even started. And I was using the lightest mech on the table.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2016, 20:59:59 by MoneyLovinOgre4Hire »
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
Fun isn't it? I'm just going to use all these really awesome mediums and lights that we produce and anchor my force with some heavy tanks. Oh? You were expecting typical #STEINER!!! tactics? Well, this IS typical Steiner tactics.  8)
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
It's actually surprising how many people make fun of us for the "wall of steel" or "Atlas scout lance" and then proceeded to use mostly heavies and assaults against me.

I know the wall of steel is a stereotype in universe, but it surprises me to see how eager players are to recreate this by their own choice.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
In their defense, again, they DO make some great heavies. 
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
We do make great heavies. I'd also like to point out that the wall of steel IS a good tactic.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
We do make great heavies. I'd also like to point out that the wall of steel IS a good tactic.
Especially in a strategic setting, where you have only so much space to load up dropships.  When you only have a company of 'Mechs to send, you might as well send the biggest.

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
With my Lyran mechs, I've embraced the Wall of Steel. Specifically alongside bugs mechs and fast mediums, which keeps the enemy overwhelmed by speed before they're overwhelmed by the heavies. It makes for a nice mix, and I see why it works for Kurita.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
I've got more of an "I've got everything you have, plus a bunch of stuff you don't, and it's all higher quality than yours" approach to how I field Lyran mechs.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
Then you show them what finely-tuned Lyran machinery can do, correct? I have to admit it's quite satisfying to ruin someone's fancy Davion assault mech with my craptastic 3050 Steiner Battlemaster.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Then you show them what finely-tuned Lyran machinery can do, correct?

They witness the power of my fully armed and operational Battlemechs!

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Then you show them what finely-tuned Lyran machinery can do, correct? I have to admit it's quite satisfying to ruin someone's fancy Davion assault mech with my craptastic 3050 Steiner Battlemaster.

Any time you can ruin a Davion anything it's a good day.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
Davions are the natural allies of the Commonwealth (and currently the only ones, too).
I prefer to ruin the day of my natural enemies, Marik and Kurita. And all the Clans, but that goes without saying.  ;)

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Davions are the natural allies of the Commonwealth (and currently the only ones, too).
I prefer to ruin the day of my natural enemies, Marik and Kurita. And all the Clans, but that goes without saying.  ;)

Well, the Capellans have been helpful lately, the Xanthos is another fun toy to have.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Doesn't matter.  Ruining the Capellans' day is the national passtime of everyone else.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
Any time you can ruin a Davion anything it's a good day.

Damn right.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
I am actually be quite interested in some Steiner vs Liao scenarios.
Perhaps not in 3150, as the Commonwealth has enough problems already, but otherwise I would like a clash of stereotypes: the wall of steel vs the sneaky backstabbers.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Stealth Armor is pretty hard for a low-mobility Wall of Steel to face- if you're not fast enough and the terrain is open (allowing easy long-range combat), you're going to get hammered while having trouble returning fire.

On the other hand, things go badly for Stealthy Snipers if you bring your own speedy backstabbers like the Blitzkrieg.

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
A wall of steel made from 5/8 Barghests armed with HGR or UAC20, could work too. You just want to get as close as possible as fast as possible. Jumpers armed with pulse lasers would also be worthwhile. Among others, the Black Hawk-Ku, Nightsky, and Uziel could be worthwhile.

How about air-dropping BA onto camping stealth mechs?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Get the bouncy Blitzkreig, a Hauptmann with a master and two Barghests with the iHGR. Park three on hills....

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Something like this?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Don't forget, we make a stealth stealth also. We're not without our sneaky bastards also.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Regards publication is it where it talks about the Lyrans beating back the wolf and falcon clans in the DA? I can't remember. Anyone?

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
Do you mean Operation Jotunheim to liberate Hesperus II? There is not much, only general information in ER:3145 and FM:3145.
The other big battle against both Clans at once was the Battle of Tharkad, which is featured in Bonfire of Worlds. Furthermore the ER and FM provide some info. Be warned that the representation of that battle in Bonfire of Worlds is not exactly what a Lyran fan wants to read: it is all about the Davion Guards almost singlehandedly defending Tharkad, and if Lyran troops are mentioned they are militia or no better than militia (despite the fact that some high profile Lyran units fought in that battle, including the Royal Guards).

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Bonfire of Worlds almost read like pro-Davion fanfic.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Thanks guys. I thought there was definitely proof they were kicked off Hesperus and Tharkad.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
Well, on Hesperus it was a clear rout; the Falcons and Horses fled in disarray and even panic. On Tharkad however Alaric Wolf requested hegira (presumably to focus Terra) even though he was not defeated, leaving only the Falcons. They were offered hegira by the exhausted Lyrans and accepted it.
We know pretty well what happened Tharkad thanks to Bonfire and the source books. The information on Hesperus is somewhat sketchy, but one can get the overall picture. Nevertheless I would be quite happy to see a Turning Point devoted to this battle since we lack details.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Bonfire of Worlds almost read like pro-Davion fanfic.

I would have said it read more like a pro-Wolf Clan fanfic.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
I have a question regarding the Enforcer in Lyran service... I always thought this was a result of the Steiner-Davion alliance which allowed Defiance to produce this Mech in 3025, but according to the MUL the Lyrans got the Enforcer even before Katrina Steiner's peace proposal (Late Succession War - LosTech 2901 - 3019).

I guess Achernar exported the Mech, but in what numbers?

Also do we know how it was received by the Lyran units? The Zeus e.g. was shipped to the FedSuns-part of the FedCom but the Davionistas were too proud to actually use it...

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
I can't think of any use in canon by a Lyran, that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Personally, I don't like the Mech. I want to but it's never worked well for me. It usually does quickly to an ammo explosion... I want to use it, I want it to work well, but sometimes there's just that one Mech that doesn't work well for you.

So, if that's indicative of Lyran use, and when I play it's 99% of the time Lyran, then I don't see them using it much.

One more thing. I'm not really a " wall o steel" player. If I'm playing with mediums I want them to be either faster that this or have better armor... Or both. Interestingly enough, I don't have this problem with the centurion.