Author Topic: Kampfgruppe Steiner Operation: Götterdämmerung or how we survived the Dark Age.  (Read 75739 times)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Think of all that Clan-tech salvage that's just sitting there unguarded that the Falcons left behind...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Think of all the factories that are still in perfect working order and tooled to produce Clan omnimechs that were just left there.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
This sounds as if the Falcon OZ becomes a virtual smogasbroad of planets and factories for everyone who has the forces to take them. So maybe the Horses, Bears and the Combine plus the Lyrans trying to salvage what they can? Of course we have to include the long tavel time of news across the IS.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
I'm making these more for the fun of making the minis/units, and the last time I made a Lyran infantry company it ended up looking like this ...

Your lack of Rotties disturbs me.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
You know what would be a really great change of pace for the Commonwealth?

Having victories happen onscreen.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel

fixed that for you.  You know what else would be a fantastic change of pace?

1. Having competent leadership that isn't named "Davion".
2. Having Competent leadership.
3. Not doing the stupidest thing humanly possible at every opportunity.
4. having competent leaders that aren't named "Kell".
5. Doing intelligent things for a change, as opposed to using the stupidest possible economic and military strategies available.
6. having competent leadership that isn't imported from somewhere else.
7. Having competent leadership that originates at home and isn't trying to break the nation internally with a pointless civil war in the face of an invasion.
8. actually doing intelligent things and learning from past experiences.

and so on...
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Would be nice.  If you think about it, the Commonwealth hasn't really been a "winning" state since the 4th Succession War.

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
Whenever I think of how Lyrans can go forward:  Awaken , Awaken, Awaken.  Take the land that must be takeb.  Hope you guys get something back.
"This is why the same true fighting will never employ ornate, showy, or wide patterns, [nor will it include] exaggerated moves which are useful only for the entertainment of spectators."

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
Hey Lyrans.  Just popped by to say hello, and hope you folks
make the recovery you're long overdue.  Despite past rancour
I think you'd find, a sizeable amount of us Feddies....wish you
well.
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
well.

Gosh, FedRats will do anything to get some help.  :D
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
Haha sleeping bears, oughtn't to be talking in the midst of their slumber :p
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

Walrus Gumboot

• Master Sergeant
...We're keeping Bolan. That one's ours.

BigDuke66

• Master Sergeant
  • Last of the Wilds!
We'll see about that Mr Freeman...

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!

Um.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Preventing the Falcons from conquering as many worlds as they wanted to doesn't count as a victory.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
Guess we'll need to see Tamar Rising for the full SP but i'll be surprised of the Commonwealths border hasn't moved back towards the original one.

I'd assume Arc-Royal will be a priority target for liberation, any other worlds spring to mind as must retake?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
What's the status of Coventry?

Rainbow 6

• Captain
Right on the Lyran edge of the Falcon OZ, as are Tharkad, Donegal and Hesperus II. So I guess any LCAF offensive needs to grab worlds close to those four for depth and Arc-Royal for its factories.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
Is this crystal blue and white digital camo now the official Arcturan Guards paint scheme? (Previously solid white)
It was in the Legends book and now on the cover of Tamar Rising.

Not a fan tbh... it looks a bit too digital, i.e. being a texture applied by digital artist on a PC rather than a paintjob applied to a war machine by ground crew.

What's the status of Coventry?

CWM is mostly destroyed at the end of The Anvil, which is another reason I consider this a pyrrhic victory at best. It is yet another blow against the already diminished industrial power of the Commonwealth.
And that's almost the only type of success the Lyrans enjoy these days: surviving. If they are lucky. Maybe Hesperus II counts as a little better.

However, what's needed is an apologetic wall of steel victory, actually crushing a substantial force of a long standing external rival and/or conquering an important target.
Tamar Rising looks like yet another secession scenario where a victory feels pyrrhic once more.

well.

The Commonwealth and the Suns are natural allies: minimal shared borders, relatively compatible cultures, and a huge common enemy (Dracs).
From a purely strategic point of view, an alliance with the Capellans would make sense, too, but that never happened for good reason.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
Too bad the Lyrans have only that one Mjölnir class battleship left. Imagine if they had a few ships they could go an a space rampage like the Steel Vipers did with their Leviathan Prime battleship. I mean nothing says "****** you I win" then a 1.25 million ton battleship brsitling with guns and armor when your opponent only has smaller cruisers or frigates
Or going scorched earth with some selective orbital bombardments

Most important would be to reclaim the nearest worlds around Tharkad and hopefully some important worlds like Arcturus, Meliisia or even Pandora if they are adventurous enough.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
well.

Hello Rorke!
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
Short question:

What Mech would a Lyran battalion commander (Kommandant e.g.) have in the FCCW-era? More specifically, would it be weird if she or he had a medium Mech or even a light Mech?

I know the stereotype requires a heavy or assault Mech but I am interested in how realistic a lighter option would be.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
Short question:

What Mech would a Lyran battalion commander (Kommandant e.g.) have in the FCCW-era? More specifically, would it be weird if she or he had a medium Mech or even a light Mech?

I know the stereotype requires a heavy or assault Mech but I am interested in how realistic a lighter option would be.

Bushwacker, Eisenfaust, Enfield (maybe), Hatchetman (they were still proud of these things), Nightsky, Uziel, griffons are always popular LC mechs. (I read your question wrong and just not going back to delete my wonderful list)

If hes leading from the Lightning Company or a generally lower weight formation it wouldnt be out of character at all. The Eisenfaust and Hatchetman are almost good options if leading from a Heavy/Assault weight unit. You can look so unthreatening compared to the Hauptman Omnis or whatever else is in your heavy command lance. And as a bonus those heavies dont feel too slow, cause they are keepinig up with (a) medium mech.  ;D

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
The Eisenfaust never made it into production until the jihad, but the Blackjack omni and Firestarter omni would both be available.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
The Eisenfaust never made it into production until the jihad, but the Blackjack omni and Firestarter omni would both be available.

You are right. I really am drawn to that stupid little mech for one reason or another. I try and squeeze on in when it fits, a bridge too far today.

Both of those 1st IS omnis hold up relatively well too

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Yeah, unlike the Lunchbox Strider.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
In HotW it is mentioned that we are attempting to assist rebellions on 12 worlds recently captured by the Falcons, so given what we know which 12 do we think they will be?

My guesses would be:-

Pobeda - pushes the Falcon's away from Tharkad.
Horneburg - pushes the Falcon's away from Tharkad.
Westerstede  - pushes the Falcon's away from Tharkad.
Cameron  - pushes the Falcon's away from Tharkad and Donegal.
Alkaid - pushes the Falcon's away from Hesperus II.
Guatavita - pushes the Falcon's away from Coventry.
Krievci - pushes the Falcon's away from Coventry.
New Capetown - pushes the Falcon's away from Coventry and regains an Academy (if its still intact).
Arc Royal - regains vital industrial output and denies it to the Falcons.
Glengarry - regains vital industrial output and denies it to the Falcons (assuming the factory has been repaired).
Arcturus - regains vital industrial output and denies it to the Falcons, plus its an important world historically.
Pandora - regains vital industrial output and denies it to the Falcons and regains an Academy (if its still intact).

Walrus Gumboot

• Master Sergeant
In HotW it is mentioned that we are attempting to assist rebellions on 12 worlds recently captured by the Falcons, so given what we know which 12 do we think they will be?

My guesses would be:-

Horneburg - pushes the Falcon's away from Tharkad.
Westerstede  - pushes the Falcon's away from Tharkad.
Cameron  - pushes the Falcon's away from Tharkad and Donegal.
Alkaid - pushes the Falcon's away from Hesperus II.
Guatavita - pushes the Falcon's away from Coventry.
Krievci - pushes the Falcon's away from Coventry.
New Capetown - pushes the Falcon's away from Coventry and regains an Academy (if its still intact).
Arc Royal - regains vital industrial output and denies it to the Falcons.
Glengarry - regains vital industrial output and denies it to the Falcons (assuming the factory has been repaired).
Arcturus - regains vital industrial output and denies it to the Falcons, plus its an important world historically.
Pandora - regains vital industrial output and denies it to the Falcons and regains an Academy (if its still intact).

When you look at it all like that... The ilKhannate may yet be the end of liberty in the Inner Sphere but it has already saved House Steiner. Malvina Hazen had you guys licked.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
Not to mention tha victory on a world named victory, can be used well in propaganda.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
Not to mention tha victory on a world named victory, can be used well in propaganda.

You know i hadn't even clocked that, it would indeed be a useful propaganda tool.