Author Topic: Star League mega engineering projects?  (Read 3140 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Star League mega engineering projects?
« on: 19 June 2019, 11:56:15 »
The only two massive engineering projects that took place in space AFAIK would be Titan Shipyards, Camelot Command and Ruins of Gabriel, which were really just large industrial sites.  AFAIK we never got any sort of lay-out or more than a vague description.  To me, Camelot Command was always like that Star Trek episode where they had a tunnel built into a planetoid as a spaceship slip-

But with all the terraforming and mega engineering projects on a planet . . . where are the other spaceborne equivalent?  Where is the giant space station kilometers long where KF research was carried out?  Or a fleet station to service warships & transports, transferring troops and cargos through collars rather than having them transferred from small craft and DS?

The bigger question though might be, should they exist in the BTU setting?  With the three named, and now that I think of it the abandoned Quarte Belle that eventually housed two SLDF fleets adds another example to show they were sort of in the setting.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

snewsom2997

• Captain
Re: Star League mega engineering projects?
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2019, 12:46:49 »
There is also CMO26 (Gulf Breeze) a giant Oneil Cyclinder, There was also another Oneil Cylinder destroyed during the Amaris Coup, too much trouble to take, so they just nuked it, the Mirrors for Venus used as death rays by Amaris, Galax Shipyards. Your description of Camalot command seems exactly correct, they hollowed out an asteroid, similar to the Ruins of Gabriel. A large number of the mega Engineering Projects was terraforming, Mars and Venus being the prime examples. You can also look at the diffeence between the 1st and 2nd SW maps to see several others, that collapsed due to lack of trade, technology, or the environments were too damaged for technology to salvage.

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2019, 15:40:08 »
But with all the terraforming and mega engineering projects on a planet . . . where are the other spaceborne equivalent?  Where is the giant space station kilometers long where KF research was carried out?  Or a fleet station to service warships & transports, transferring troops and cargos through collars rather than having them transferred from small craft and DS?

Those were nuked by Amaris' troops

The bigger question though might be, should they exist in the BTU setting?  With the three named, and now that I think of it the abandoned Quarte Belle that eventually housed two SLDF fleets adds another example to show they were sort of in the setting.

To be honest?

No.There's not really much justification or need for space structures of such a size
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2019, 15:48:23 »
DoME tended to hollow out large asteroids when it wanted to make a huge space habitat.  There’s one in Lyran space (Thuban) and one in Combine space.  The Combine one contains an entire city, and serves as the HQ for the yakuza clans’ “boss of bosses”
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 20 June 2019, 07:25:44 »
Wheel?  Broken Wheel?

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2019, 05:56:43 »
You could make a Fan design of the Starship Troopers station by having a station with a bunch of docks and Unpressurized Repair Bays

The key to remember about space stations is that they only has an SI of 1, so any damage has a chance of popping the station like a balloon

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2019, 06:01:45 »
Marauder did one kind of like that down in the Fan Designs section.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #8 on: 06 September 2019, 08:54:32 »
You can do quite a bit with the extant construction rules as is, consider;

-The 2.5m Ton limit on space stations still allows you to build someone MUCH, MUCH bigger than a 2.5mt Warship in sheer scale. I have made a massive Starship Troopers-style yard; another Star Trek TMP-Era-style massive station as an inter-system cargo-transfer point and a humongus habitat; but i cannot recall if it was an O'Neil Cylinder or a Van Braun Wheel.

-The mobile structure and building-building rules are nothing to sneeze at, either.

-Now that we have...away from my books...reinforced? Hardened? Repair Bays; you can ACTUALLY DOCK Huge space stations together. In my houserules; it only mostly does what i already let normal repair bays do; be occupied while under thrust, but the hard docking thing is something else again.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 06 September 2019, 14:22:45 »
You can do quite a bit with the extant construction rules as is, consider;

-The 2.5m Ton limit on space stations still allows you to build someone MUCH, MUCH bigger than a 2.5mt Warship in sheer scale. I have made a massive Starship Troopers-style yard; another Star Trek TMP-Era-style massive station as an inter-system cargo-transfer point and a humongus habitat; but i cannot recall if it was an O'Neil Cylinder or a Van Braun Wheel.

-The mobile structure and building-building rules are nothing to sneeze at, either.

-Now that we have...away from my books...reinforced? Hardened? Repair Bays; you can ACTUALLY DOCK Huge space stations together. In my houserules; it only mostly does what i already let normal repair bays do; be occupied while under thrust, but the hard docking thing is something else again.

As far as hugely massive Space Station we have the modular station rules. As far as I can tell you can daisy chain as many of those up as you want.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #10 on: 06 September 2019, 16:54:31 »
As far as hugely massive Space Station we have the modular station rules. As far as I can tell you can daisy chain as many of those up as you want.

You may be right the Modular feature may be another option as well.

My read on that was that it allowed you to transport stations by jump and then assemble them on the other side. But I could easily be mistaken.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

m79

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: 09 September 2019, 03:02:35 »

If I wanted to review these rules, where are they located?

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 09 September 2019, 14:06:51 »
If I wanted to review these rules, where are they located?

Interstellar Ops, the construction rules reference a Hughes class Modular station.