Author Topic: Sell me on... The Rocket Launcher 20  (Read 5549 times)

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
Sell me on... The Rocket Launcher 20
« on: 12 February 2015, 10:15:43 »
The Rocket Launcher 20 is an oddity to me.

20 Damage in a single shot for 1.5 tons and 3 crits.  Compared to a RL 10, which is 10 damage in .5 tons and 1 crit, with 50% more range. Firing 2 RL 10s creates 20% more (read 1) heat than an RL 20, but their increased range and decreased weight more than make up for that fact.

So why on earth would I want to mount an RL 20 instead of 3 RL 10s?

The RL 15 seems the same to me, again, why not 2 RL 10s?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Sell me on... The Rocket Launcher 20
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2015, 11:07:17 »
Isn't it kind of same as 4/5xLRM5 vs LRM20? The former is more likely to hit but the latter does more damage if it hits.
Of course, the drawbacks the RL20 (and 15) have are pretty big, considering you can have 3xRL10 for every RL20. RL20 is more heat efficient if that is important though.

On vehicles, the RL20s make more sense, since they take only one item slot.
« Last Edit: 12 February 2015, 11:09:02 by Empyrus »

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2015, 12:21:37 »
I mainly use em on vehicles. But I refer multiple RL/10s whenever possible.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2015, 13:09:08 »
The Rocket Launcher 20 is an oddity to me.

20 Damage in a single shot for 1.5 tons and 3 crits.  Compared to a RL 10, which is 10 damage in .5 tons and 1 crit, with 50% more range. Firing 2 RL 10s creates 20% more (read 1) heat than an RL 20, but their increased range and decreased weight more than make up for that fact.

So why on earth would I want to mount an RL 20 instead of 3 RL 10s?

The RL 15 seems the same to me, again, why not 2 RL 10s?

Sometimes vehicles don't have the slots to mount war crime levels of RL10s.  Sometimes you want to be able to capitalize on low TNs with several large launchers.

That's about it.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2015, 13:13:02 »
Isn't it kind of same as 4/5xLRM5 vs LRM20? The former is more likely to hit but the latter does more damage if it hits.
Of course, the drawbacks the RL20 (and 15) have are pretty big, considering you can have 3xRL10 for every RL20. RL20 is more heat efficient if that is important though.

On vehicles, the RL20s make more sense, since they take only one item slot.

The other issue becomes the range bands.  The  4/5xLRM5 vs LRM20 argument makes sense if an RL 10 had the same range as an RL 20, but really, the RL 10 reaches out to PPC range and the 20 only reaches out to ERML range.  When talking to hits, you will have a much better chance of hitting with an RL 10 over an RL 20 at any range greater than 4 hexes.

If the range bands were equal, I don't htink I would have asked the question...  :-\

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2015, 14:34:20 »
The 20 can be used for mine clearing.  But this is the only thing it can do that several RL 10 cannot do better on a 'Mech. Vees are a different matter as slots can get scarce sometimes.

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 12 February 2015, 15:39:10 »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't aeros carry RL/20 pods on bomb mounts? Another nasty use for them I would think.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #7 on: 12 February 2015, 16:42:43 »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't aeros carry RL/20 pods on bomb mounts? Another nasty use for them I would think.

That was 10s I think. Eagre to be corrected on this one if I am wrong.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 12 February 2015, 17:28:32 »
Yeah, unfortunately, you're right. This Question Reply answers that. Kind of a bummer too. an RL/20 would have been a perfect pylon mount.
« Last Edit: 12 February 2015, 17:30:29 by Nightsong »

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 12 February 2015, 17:49:21 »
That was 10s I think. Eagre to be corrected on this one if I am wrong.

Yep, only the 10. But they only take up one hard point. So five of these give a medium fighter a lot of lead to put down range

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #10 on: 12 February 2015, 18:02:15 »
The idiot nephew that was appointed as your Quartermaster ordered a bunch, so you're stuck with them. Beyond that and the very specific uses mentioned before, I wouldn't bother. I won't say they shouldn't exist, or need to be buffed rules-wise, but they're very much table-filler to me.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #11 on: 12 February 2015, 18:44:06 »
On BattleMechs I see absolutely no value in them whatsoever.  You're significantly better off with multiple RL10s.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Shatara

• Master Sergeant
  • Your flank belongs to the Star League
« Reply #12 on: 15 February 2015, 21:16:00 »
The 20 can be used for mine clearing.  But this is the only thing it can do that several RL 10 cannot do better on a 'Mech. Vees are a different matter as slots can get scarce sometimes.
Only if you're building it really small (VTOLs or glorified pickup trucks), and/or boating them by the eleventybillion.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 15 February 2015, 21:34:00 »
Or if you use an XL and HFF (the question then becomes Why, For the Love of God?).
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 16 February 2015, 02:35:49 »
Only if RLs can carry thunder munitions, can i even see a reason anyone would ever go for RL15s or 20s..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #15 on: 16 February 2015, 14:44:18 »
Only if RLs can carry thunder munitions, can i even see a reason anyone would ever go for RL15s or 20s..

indeed! We need RL alternate munitions; WP, flechettes, cluster bombs, ect.

A.E. Housman

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 17 February 2015, 22:08:33 »
What's with the decreasing range, anyway? I thought they fired the same munitions?

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 18 February 2015, 06:16:49 »
No real reason but game balance IMO. Well, keep in mind that the RL 20 was 'balanced' to be a crappy weapon compared to the other RLs but of course I still like it more than the -15.

The 10 us the one you really want, the 20 helped me to clear a minefield* or two a few times the 15.... well.

* was using the HBK-5H as an emergency minefield clearing device a few times. It is not very effective but better than nothing if your unit stumbles upon some hidden mines in town....

edit:  There is one last use for the bigger RLs: Crit padding. As RLs are made without a single bit of explodium they great for that, soaking up enemy fire like a sponge. They also won't explode when the 'Mech overheats which adds to their usefulness.

« Last Edit: 18 February 2015, 06:26:25 by Martius »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 18 February 2015, 12:49:35 »
I didn't know the RL-20 could clear minefields. Can the MRM-20?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Shatara

• Master Sergeant
  • Your flank belongs to the Star League
« Reply #19 on: 18 February 2015, 19:18:46 »
Pretty sure. I've built engineering vehicles with them fluffed as 'mine clearance weapons'. Of course, that was before they added MCMs, and didn't give them to MRMs... :-\

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 18 February 2015, 20:18:14 »
Pretty sure. I've built engineering vehicles with them fluffed as 'mine clearance weapons'. Of course, that was before they added MCMs, and didn't give them to MRMs... :-\

Just checked Tactical Operations.  Per page 211:

Missiles: Unless using special Mine Clearance Munitions (see p. 370), a player may use an LRM-20; Rocket Launcher 20; MRM-20, -30 or -40; ATM 12 (HE or standard) or ATM 9 (HE) to clear a minefield (but no other type of missile attack).

Looks like the basic requirement, then, is to do 20 points max damage from your missile salvo.

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 19 February 2015, 03:44:25 »
Yes, 20+ damage is needed to qualify as an improvised mine clearing device.

MRM 20,30,40 and the RL 20 are quite useful in this role- especially if you do not want to 'waste' other missle ammo for Mine Clearing ammunition.

I often use HBK-5Hs together with WTH-1Hs in towns (one as the can opener, the other the critseeker/flanker/vulture- a urban combat century often consists of 2 HBK/WTH teams and a single FS-9C for squishy hunting) and if mines are an option I usually hold back with the -20is just in case my troops stumble into a minefield.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 19 February 2015, 06:36:03 »
No real reason but game balance IMO.
Krap. How did they justify that in fluff?

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 19 February 2015, 07:23:48 »
Fluff wise I think the rockets have a tendency to get in its other way or so.  So the more you launch the less you can control the spread of missiles.