Author Topic: Question for a possible campaign  (Read 1333 times)

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
Question for a possible campaign
« on: 21 January 2014, 13:19:42 »
In the old "First Strike" supplement, the last three scenarios of the Basic Battletech section are a cool "Heart of Darkness"-tinged mini-campaign where the attackers are assaulting a Germanium mine held by a rogue Davion agent. I'm looking at turning this into a full-on roleplay campaign for my home group, but stumbled upon something in looking at Germanium on Wikipedia:

Among the common compounds of Germanium is a gas called Germane, which is highly pyrophoric (in other words it spontaneously combusts on contact with air) and toxic. I've no doubt that a loony-bird like The Old Man wouldn't hesitate to weaponize that as a last-ditch effort. My only question is, if he were to have run pipes in the ground to use as hidden gas jets/improvised mines -- or set up improvised flamethrowers with the stuff near the mine, how much damage in AS terms would burning Germane do? Would it even be chemically feasible for him to get enough Germane to weaponize it? Is there anyone who knows enough about the chemistry who could weigh in?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 21 January 2014, 13:22:40 by Pat Payne »

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Question for a possible campaign
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2014, 13:30:27 »
If you are a Gamemaster, then Germane is explosive exactly as much as you need it to be.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2014, 14:11:41 »
Going to have to agree with martian on this.

Make the Old Man's breakout of (Special Weapons >:D) conditional on the good guys achieving one or more goals, or reaching a certain milestone.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2014, 14:18:21 »
Not a bad idea -- if they can disrupt The Old Man's operations enough, they won't have to face the fires of perdition.  >:D

I've a mind to write the encounters up as tracks, so I could perhaps write that in as a Warchest addon that he can use if he can afford it...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2014, 17:38:02 »
I think it would be better written up as a additional objective for the players . . . +whatever, players must get infantry or BA into a pumphouse before X turn and have them there for Y turns to take control or break opposition's remote control of system.  If they do not, NPC/opposing player gets to use 5 (or whatever) hexes of germane torch sites.  You could also treat the sites as 'lava' hexes for the purpose of the effects though for a twist if they are in neighboring hexes they pick up extra heat.

Give it to them as a optional addition to one of the early scenarios.  If they do not choose to accept the option then the opposition could randomly have some of the germane burners to position in later scenarios.

It could/would also drive home the need for infantry to secure facilities.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2014, 07:22:01 »
You could also treat the sites as 'lava' hexes for the purpose of the effects though for a twist if they are in neighboring hexes they pick up extra heat.
Maybe use the Volcanic Eruption rules first, to represent the gas exploding? Makes it even more important that they get the control systems for the mines.  (See TacOps, pp. 37-38 for volcano and lava/magma effects.)
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2014, 19:18:37 »
Maybe use the Volcanic Eruption rules first, to represent the gas exploding? Makes it even more important that they get the control systems for the mines.  (See TacOps, pp. 37-38 for volcano and lava/magma effects.)

I like.  >:D

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 22 January 2014, 20:15:00 »
I like.  >:D

So do I. In fact that idea (and the fact that it looks like it's on sale at RPGNow at the moment) spurred me into getting TacOps :)