Author Topic: AToW programs?  (Read 19431 times)

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
AToW programs?
« on: 07 October 2017, 16:44:44 »
For CBT there exists MegaMekLab, HeavyMetalPro, and Solaris Skunk Works to make creating mechs and vehicles and such easier. Any chance there's some program or tool out there that makes creating AToW role-playing characters easier?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: AToW programs?
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2017, 17:09:19 »
A few of us have posted spreadsheets in this very sub-forum...

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2017, 17:39:58 »
Are there any in particular you'd recommend?

I've played MW3 a lot, but am completely new to AToW so I was hoping a program existed that might give me a little better understanding of things.

Restemayer

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2017, 17:58:19 »
Working on it... I'm currently about a quarter of the way through stage 4.  Give me a couple of weeks to finish up character creation and implement PDF export.
EDIT:  Sorry... didn't expect images to show up so massive.  Replaced with links and thumbnails instead.

« Last Edit: 07 October 2017, 18:11:46 by Restemayer »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2017, 18:00:20 »
I am of course biased toward my own, but I understand a number of people find Monbvol's easier to use.  Mine is more of an accounting aid for the creation process, and requires some familiarity with the rules.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #5 on: 12 October 2017, 22:09:23 »
I don't pimp mine out too much anymore because I've stopped supporting it and there are some flaws as well as it still requires some knowledge of the rules and how to sort stuff in spreadsheets as well as defining print ranges for best effect.

CoreWatch

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 07 November 2017, 03:50:14 »
Working on it... I'm currently about a quarter of the way through stage 4.  Give me a couple of weeks to finish up character creation and implement PDF export.
EDIT:  Sorry... didn't expect images to show up so massive.  Replaced with links and thumbnails instead.

Hey Restemayer!

I was just checking to see how your mechwarrior character generation program was coming along?

-CoreWatch

Restemayer

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2017, 18:32:37 »
Hey Restemayer!

I was just checking to see how your mechwarrior character generation program was coming along?

-CoreWatch

I seemed to have jynxed myself (why I hadn't mentioned that I was writing a program until I was that far in). Right after posting that I got slammed by life... or school, to be precise.  So I'm far behind where I wanted to be.  Right now I'm looking at the end of the semester and once finals are done, I should have time to hammer out some of the final things that I need to implement.  It will get done, and as soon as it's functional, I'll post it on here.  I think I've learned my lesson on trying to give estimated release times though.

Lamont-Cranston

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2017, 10:08:32 »
That looks like it'll be good when finished Restemayer.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 23 November 2017, 12:58:56 »
Certainly seems worth the wait to me.  8)

Restemayer

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: 23 November 2017, 19:47:49 »
Thanks!  So you know where I'm at right now, all the stages are done-ish.  I'm in the middle of hammering out character optimization, which has been a little tougher to get through than I originally thought it would, but I should knock that out fairly quick once I get back to it.

After that it'll be doing saving/loading of created characters and putting in character/GM utilities to add XP, change equipment, etc. 

The one screenshot of the popup for doing flexible XP: I'm going to add a search/filter function to that, so it'll change.  Just putting everything on one popup screen worked when the skills were relatively short.  Getting through all the modules made me realize how many skills there are just explicitly or implicitly referenced in the book... and some of those are almost infinitely expandable (see "Interest" skill).

Speaking of modules... I wrote it to be, well, modular.  The modules are treated as just that... separate module files that are loaded on runtime, so, with the exception of ComStar and WOB affiliation, none of the modules are hardcoded, so they can be added, altered, customized, expanded... whatever... quickly and without significant changes to the program.  So I'll be able to release expansions and fixes if/when Catalyst puts out a companion book with more background options or FAQ's something... or if someone just wants to custom build a module for a homebrew campaign, they can do that too.

Same with rank files, fields... probably equipment too once I get that stuff in, so it should be very customizable

I'll also be integrating PDF utilities to export printable character sheets.

That's what I'm hoping to have completely done by the time I post it on here.

Eventually I'm looking at possibly seeing if I can integrate it into MegaMek, if the teams working on those projects are open to it.  Its the reason I'm writing it in Java.

Anyway, that's kind of where I'm at and where I'm looking at going with it at the moment.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #11 on: 23 November 2017, 21:37:13 »
The only thing I'd change is to go ahead and not hard code Comstar/WoB or any other affiliations.  Will probably make it easier to handle some of the era adjustments to those affiliations.

There is a surprising amount of additional information for AToW in the various Era Reports.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 26 November 2017, 17:26:04 »
I agree with Monbvol, but otherwise sounds great! 8)

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #13 on: 29 November 2017, 00:05:15 »
Eventually I'm looking at possibly seeing if I can integrate it into MegaMek, if the teams working on those projects are open to it.  Its the reason I'm writing it in Java.

As one of the Megamek Devs, we would love to have an AToW Editor able to work with MegaMek/MekHQ. It’s something we've had requests for and MekHQ as some basic ideas taken from Mechwarrior and AToW coded.

When you are ready let us know.
« Last Edit: 29 November 2017, 00:47:46 by Hammer »
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 29 November 2017, 00:08:53 »

Oh HELL Yeah !!!   8) 8) 8)

CoreWatch

• Private
« Reply #15 on: 30 November 2017, 21:43:02 »
Thanks for the update Restemayer!

It seems like quite the project to undertake and I can' even imagine the coding and time commitment needed to go into it but I'm sure its not a walk in the park. So take your time and get your life and school stuff accomplished first bud. Whatever you get done in time I'm sure folks here and across the world whom play this beloved game will appreciate your effort in the end.

Thanks again!
<salute>
-Chris

Restemayer

• Recruit
« Reply #16 on: 02 December 2017, 23:19:18 »
As one of the Megamek Devs, we would love to have an AToW Editor able to work with MegaMek/MekHQ. It’s something we've had requests for and MekHQ as some basic ideas taken from Mechwarrior and AToW coded.

When you are ready let us know.

Thanks!  That would be awesome.  I put together a GIT repository for it .. or at least, I think I have it put together right... if you want to take a look at where I'm at so far.  I'm a law student; not a programmer, so everything I have right now is from research/trial and error over the last couple of months.  Probably pretty messy.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #17 on: 10 December 2017, 16:00:57 »
Thanks!  That would be awesome.  I put together a GIT repository for it .. or at least, I think I have it put together right... if you want to take a look at where I'm at so far.  I'm a law student; not a programmer, so everything I have right now is from research/trial and error over the last couple of months.  Probably pretty messy.

Do you have a link to the GIT Repo?
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

anastrace

• Corporal
« Reply #18 on: 19 December 2017, 18:06:05 »
I don't pimp mine out too much anymore because I've stopped supporting it and there are some flaws as well as it still requires some knowledge of the rules and how to sort stuff in spreadsheets as well as defining print ranges for best effect.

What were the odds I'd see a post on the very spreadsheet I'm using at the moment when I had a question! I was trying to design a v(s)tol pilot, and I see in AToW that piloting/aircraft covers what I'm looking for, but I also see in the sheet piloting/vtol. I can't find a reference to that skill anywhere in the book though.

Thanks!
Missiles, how do they work? (Seriously, guided bottle rockets?)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 19 December 2017, 18:12:52 »
That issue is exactly why I implemented mine to support piloting/"anything you can dream up" (among all the other skills with potentially undefined sub-skills)...

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #20 on: 19 December 2017, 18:54:30 »
Likely a mental goof on my part.

anastrace

• Corporal
« Reply #21 on: 21 December 2017, 09:59:55 »
No worries! It's really, really helpful to have a spreadsheet for AToW because character creation is pretty dang involved. (Especially for a system that seems downright lethal)
Missiles, how do they work? (Seriously, guided bottle rockets?)

Restemayer

• Recruit
« Reply #22 on: 23 December 2017, 12:36:47 »
Sorry it took me so long to get back.  Done with the semester, so I'm good for at least the next month to work on it.

Here's the link: https://bitbucket.org/Restemayer/atowutility

So, I've already found one problem.  I was building it on my desktop.  While on vacation I'm on my laptop and everything is... huge.  Like three times my screen size in every direction.  I guess my next issue to solve in the short term is scaling so its actually usable.
« Last Edit: 12 January 2018, 06:34:56 by Restemayer »

mycroft000

• Recruit
« Reply #23 on: 03 January 2018, 14:00:47 »
I can't seem to access the utility.

Restemayer

• Recruit
« Reply #24 on: 12 January 2018, 06:32:11 »
I can't seem to access the utility.

Had security settings set to private instead of public access. That's fixed. Sorry!

CoreWatch

• Private
« Reply #25 on: 19 March 2018, 01:16:48 »
Hey Rest...

Was there any further progress on this programs that you were making?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: 19 March 2018, 22:35:33 by CoreWatch »

Kilderkin

• Corporal
« Reply #26 on: 19 March 2018, 06:34:11 »
Also eagerly waiting to hear any news! Planning a campaign but the character creator is such a turn off, and I like battletech, getting players who are unfamiliar with it has caused some issues already.

CoreWatch

• Private
« Reply #27 on: 02 June 2018, 22:50:09 »
Hey Restemayer!

I was just checking in to see if you had ever continued /completed whatever program you were working on for a character generator for AOTW.

Same question I guess to anyone else whose reading this perhaps... had made any sort of character generator for ATOW?

Thanks in advance!
-Chris

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 03 June 2018, 10:25:51 »
I have been working on a couple that have been in a constant state of work-in-peogress :/
Though - as soon as I complete my current major project, I intend on getting back to finishing a basic AToW creator... Likely around August.

However!
I'd imagine if anyone needed characters, just post requirements and myself or others could 'generate' some with the final touches to be done by the player (like deciding on flexible XP assignments.)

Basic details that help: (more info helps, but none is neecessary for a purely random character)
  • Name (or can be randomized)
  • Age (when starting play)
  • Starting region and/or affiliation.
  • Era
  • Min/Max/Power-gaming?
  • Desired Archtype (MechWarrior, Tanker, Tech, .....)
  • Hook (brief description of the character in mind, or, leave this up to random generation)
  • Background (part of the Hook, backworlds survivor, military officer, Special Operating Forces, etc.; Include desired LifePath modules, if known - though none are necessary.)
  • List of desired traits, attributes, (if either are known), skills and focus of strengths.

Depending on what I'm up to, it might take me a day to respond.
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

CoreWatch

• Private
« Reply #29 on: 04 June 2018, 00:21:59 »
Hello there Hythos!

That sounds cool that your working on some sort of program as well and I appreciate the response as well. I actually know how to make a character for the game. It just takes some time as you said and it gets a little easier once you've made a few characters. But it's still a PITA just in general to make one. I've seen a few folks XML spreadsheets with some calculation functionality on them and I'm sure many folks around here would most definitely be interested in something that could help cut the time down to make them for us.

Thanks for an update time frame though... look forward to it bud!

And thanks as well for the offer to help make some characters. Perhaps a good idea would be to start a thread with some pre-gens GM's could use for NPC's, Starter Characters, or perhaps even veterans. I'm sure if people build it, other people will probably use the characters in their game worlds somehow.

Cheers!
-Chris