Author Topic: The Day When Heaven Was Falling  (Read 28137 times)

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
Re: The Day When Heaven Was Falling
« Reply #150 on: 22 March 2018, 17:47:33 »
It's Cowboy Bebop. Decades later, it's still the to-go-to example of Cool anime...

Ah don't let me get to you. I've never seen it--anime to me is Macross/Robotech, Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Patlabor. Oh, and Appleseed. Wings of Honneamise. Sky Crawlers. That's about it. Everyone tells me I'm living in the wrong country.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #151 on: 22 March 2018, 19:55:46 »
Well I had to ask because what I can tell they have taken out a # of the Family Soldiers
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #152 on: 22 March 2018, 21:05:37 »
Well I had to ask because what I can tell they have taken out a # of the Family Soldiers

They did rather, didn't they. And the triads had precisely as many hirelings as the plot required.  :))
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #153 on: 23 March 2018, 07:48:04 »
We'll, hope you enjoyed that. The original idea was to see if I could write a serial series about a mercenary unit, writing one episode at a time rather than figuring the whole story out in advance.

Some of the episodes worked out well I thought, others I'm more ambivalent about, but it was an interesting experience. In the end though trying to write constantly is a bit wearing, and it's not as much fun as it used to be.

Thanks again to everyone who read and/or commented.

XaosGorilla

• Sergeant
« Reply #154 on: 23 March 2018, 10:57:36 »
anime to me is Macross/Robotech, Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Patlabor. Oh, and Appleseed. Wings of Honneamise. Sky Crawlers.

Yeah... Wings is really good...  I'd recommend Bebop to anyone, you'll like a number of those.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #155 on: 23 March 2018, 11:15:18 »
It can't be over! Not like this! :D

I've never seen it
Its said to have influenced Firefly - a couple of bounty hunters fly around the galaxy hunting bounties and meeting people, along the way they pick up a childlike kid who seems to be smarter than she looks. Its also 1 of the very few anime whose English dub is generally considered superior to Japanese - by the creator as well IINM.

Even as a not-anime fan, I quite liked Cowboy Bebop, Gundam IBO, and GITS.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #156 on: 23 March 2018, 12:05:46 »
They did rather, didn't they. And the triads had precisely as many hirelings as the plot required.  :))
I just wasn't sure if they they made a play for it, that they could not be the top dog as they took out a # of mooks wasn't sure how many middle level players
Its said to have influenced Firefly - a couple of bounty hunters fly around the galaxy hunting bounties and meeting people, along the way they pick up a childlike kid who seems to be smarter than she looks. Its also 1 of the very few anime whose English dub is generally considered superior to Japanese - by the creator as well IINM.

Even as a not-anime fan, I quite liked Cowboy Bebop, Gundam IBO, and GITS.
Cowboy Behop is a hoot
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #157 on: 23 March 2018, 21:14:34 »
Finally managed to let RL and work let me get to a computer.
Been binge reading the rest of your story.
Reina had a very impressive family to say the least.

Glass made a very reflective attack dog. Great job. :thumbsup:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #158 on: 24 March 2018, 00:11:37 »

Well never say never. Depends if inspiration strikes. The ending there is meant to hint of trouble brewing with Duke Lestrade, whose shenanigans will be familiar to anyone who has read the Warrior series. So I've left the door open.

I periodically try to get my scribblings published in grown-up magazines for real cash money, but so far no success. A lot of the short fiction markets now seem to be focused on "literary SF" but all I want to write is fun space opera adventures about things going boom. Just try to keep finding that niche I guess ... or if anyone has any suggestions on how to break into writing for game companies?

Glass made a very reflective attack dog. Great job. :thumbsup:

Hey, the snakester is back! Thanks for reading, my dude.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #159 on: 25 March 2018, 12:17:00 »
I enjoyed it, thanks!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #160 on: 01 April 2018, 20:14:29 »
Well, I did have one idea for a continutation of the story. Bit of a change of pace and/or tone, so maybe think of this as the season where the show fired all the old writers and brought in some new faces. Bit less pulpy this time, more political machinations than techno-blitzkrieg action.

Just to recap, here's a who's who:

Aric Glass: Mercenary aerospace pilot from Oriente/Free Worlds League and former Eagle Corps operative. Fragged his commanding officer after the latter berayed his unit to the enemy. Dislikes: Elevators, trains, dentist offices and other places people have tried to kill him.

Alys: Born on an organized crime-controlled space habitat, assumed the identity of a rich noblewoman from Ozawa named Reina Paradis after the latter was abducted. Under her identity as Reina, current commander of the Black Arrows mercenary air wing.

Derek Forrest: Leader of the Might Fallen smuggler gang, after the previous leader had disagreement with Glass. Owner of both a Buccaneer class DropShip and a truly world-class worried frown.

EPISODE 4-1: Perceptual disturbances

Watching a spaceport through the ferroglass always strikes me a bit like watching a holovid. I can never quite shake the feeling that what I’m watching isn’t real, like there’s no way these ungainly, metal-plated Easter eggs could get 10 meters off the ground, much less blast themselves into space. I just keep waiting for one of the puppeteers to slip up, for the wires holding them to be exposed, the whole painted backdrop to come crashing down. Like the whole thing was an elaborate con, that humanity had actually been stuck on Terra all these centuries.

Mind you, spaceports themselves are covered in a kind of glaze of unreality, aren’t they? All built in the same swooping, curving cream ceramic, filled with lavish aristos-only lounges, modern art displays of metal in liquid shapes and kiosks with coffee at eye-watering prices. Like you’re on a holovid set: All distinguishing marks or features carefully sanded away, leaving you in a kind of eternal, omnipresent limbo-land, a not-place that exists at the intersection between every Planet You Were On and every Planet You Want To Be On, a spiritual and intellectual void to complement the physical one you just crossed between the stars.

This one was on Addicks, I think. Though it might well have been Quentin. Or Fomalhaut? No, definitely Addicks. Like I say, all spaceports are much the same. We were traveling slow on Forrest’s Buccaneer, picking up cargo on one planet, taking it to the next, where we’d pick up the next shipment, take it onwards. Edging steadily closer to Terra and the Commonwealth. Sometimes legitimate cargo, sometimes not—the latter rarely exciting, just booze or oil or anything somebody didn’t feel like paying taxes on.

Alys-who-was-Reina had gone on ahead to the unit on Summer while I aimed for Galatea, which left me with only our smuggler friend for company. Forrest was off meeting someone about our next cargo, the rest of the crew scattered about the spaceport or out in the town enjoying themselves.

So it was just me and the almost-but-not-quite-holovid screen of the ferroglass window looking out over the vast acres of cracked and weather-stained ferrocrete that formed the spaceport landing pads. A couple of DropShip crew in beige overalls and merchants in silk shirts were watching a holovid in one of the public waiting lounges, something about an up-and-coming Solaris duelist named Xiang. The Solaris Circuit is one of the reasons I’m glad I never became a MechWarrior—pilots are untainted by the commercial depths to which they’ve dragged the BattleMech. Blood sports for the citizens of a decaying Rome.

I just tried to shut out the noise and enjoy the view. Sky so blue it had to be fake.

The chair was reclinable, and if you fed a C- or D-Bill into the slot on the side, it would massage your back and neck for 15 minutes with stubby, insistent robotic fingers moving beneath the leather.

I was about to feed another bill into the machine when a voice stopped me: “Mister Glass?”

I turned and saw a big slab of human, lots of hair on his forearms and the backs of his hands, dressed in a chocolate brown spaceport security uniform that seemed about a size too small for him. Wide “Addicks Spaceport Security” armband around his bicep, an organization whose acronym was about as smart as its employees.

He also wore small wire-framed round glasses that sat, incongruously tiny in the middle of his blocky face. Five other security types stood in a rough semicircle around my chair, about five meters away—well out of lunging distance, in other words. Armed with sonic stun guns attached to lanyards around their necks: the stunner’s a non-lethal weapon, but even those can mess you up bad if used close enough, for long enough.

The big guy who’d spoken looked like he belonged in a holovid, too. He reminded me of the brother on “Home is Were the Hart is”, you know that one? The family of were-creatures, with the dad who turns into the horned Master of the Wild Hunt, and the brother turns into a bear. That’s the one. He did not, in other words, look like the sort of guy who turns into a spaceport security officer when he wakes up in the morning.

“There a problem?” I asked.

“What there are, Mister Glass, are questions,” he intoned slowly, with heavy emphasis on the last word. “Questions about a certain nobleman’s daughter. Questions you might be able to answer.”

“Okay, shoot,” I said, then flicked a glance at the others. “Not literally, guys.”

“Not here, Mister Glass, but in private,” the were-bear gestured with one paw. “If you’d follow us please, this way. The matter of a nobleman’s family calls for certain discretion. As I’m sure you can understand.”

Well, no, no I didn’t, but then I figured if they wanted me dead, I’d be dead, and if I didn’t go willing I’d probably wind up going unconscious, so what the hell. “Hey, sure thing,” I said, and bounced out of the massage chair. The other five guards either took a step back or reached for their stun guns, but I noticed Hairy Bearson just kind of half-dropped into a fighting crouch. Instead of a stun gun, his holster held a Stetta machine pistol, big blocky thing with a magazine big as a cigarette packet and a custom-molded grip. Interesting. Definitely not one of the boys. “Lead on,” I told him.

One of the security stiffs walked in front, Bearson just behind my shoulder, the other four making a loose box around us. We got lots of odd, surreptitious corner-of-the-eye looks from passers-by eager not to make eye contact, but I didn’t see either Alys or any of the crew.

“You’re not security, are you big guy,” I said conversationally, over my shoulder. I saw the name badge over his breast pocket read ‘A. Tracey.’

“I am not,” he agreed. “I assist my clients in finding certain personages of interest.”

“Bounty hunter, huh? I thought you had a green outfit and a Marauder?”

“Not The Bounty Hunter Mister Glass, but A bounty hunter.”

“A-Tracey the bounty hunter? That some kind of joke?”

“Sometimes it’s convenient to take a name that suits one’s place in life. Isn’t that right, Mister Glass?”

“Sure.” I smiled and waved at a small kid in a straw hat who stared at us. He ran behind his mom’s skirts. “Any hints on who’s offering the bounty?”

“All in good time, Mister Glass.”

They led me outside, which answered any lingering doubts about whether this was a legitimate security stop or not. Parked directly in front of the terminal entrance was a hover car, a rounded block of mirror-polished black, more dolled-up Harasser scout tank than limousine. A number of small round ports down the side suggested the thing’s idea of an anti-theft device was a series of flamethrowers. There was an unfamiliar crest on the front—three black birds, like lean turkeys or peacocks with long stringy tails, arranged in an inverted triangle pattern on a silver background.

Only Tracey and I got in, the other security guards stood uncomfortably outside, clearly relieved to be rid of us and wishing we’d just go.

Inside were two rows of plush seats, facing each other with maybe a meter of space between them, and a sheet of bullet-proof glass, cross-hatched with a tracery of steel wire, separating the passenger compartment from the driver. I sat in the rearward-facing seat, Tracey diagonally opposite, corded arms folded across the expanse of his chest, one hand just above the butt of his custom Stetta.

There were no windows, but rather a flat-panel display to either side of the seats, linked to cameras mounted on the vehicle.

“Forrest sell me out?”

“Every man has his price.” His face looked sad, like this was one of the bitterest truths life had taught him.

The hovercar-slash-tank lifted from the ground with the soft electrical purr of a fuel cell engine rather than the rough chugging of biofuel, and on the screens to either side I saw we were slaloming effortlessly through traffic as cars either pulled over or slowed down to let us through.

“Those pheasants on the front?” I asked Tracey, wondering who’d have enough clout to clear the roads like that.

“Birds of paradise, Mister Glass,” he informed me.

Well, that confirmed that suspicion.
« Last Edit: 01 April 2018, 20:29:31 by Dubble_g »

Tegyrius

• Master Sergeant
  • They Are Not Our Friends
« Reply #161 on: 01 April 2018, 20:20:04 »
Ahhh yes.  Welcome back, Mister Glass.
Some places remain unknown because no one has gone there.  Others remain unknown because no one has come back.

cpip

• Corporal
« Reply #162 on: 01 April 2018, 21:27:21 »
Very glad to see the story continuing!

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #163 on: 02 April 2018, 01:13:18 »
Glass really likes attracting the wrong people.
I wonder what his conversation with Forrest will be like when they next meet. ;)
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #164 on: 03 April 2018, 07:25:56 »
EPISODE 4-2: Delusions of grandeur

The building we stopped in front of looked like an ancient Japanese shrine or temple, if ancient Japanese shrines and temples had been built of frosted glass and steel. The shape was right, but instead of wood panels and beams there were these ink-black metal spars and multi-meter tall sheets of semi-transparent stuff, through which you could see vague shadows moving and somber lights flickering.

The door was opened by liveried footmen dressed in black and white, with the three bird of paradise crest on either shoulder. Two armored guards, similarly monochromatic, watched us disembark from a respectable distance, auto shotguns slung over their shoulders.

One footman guided us inside, around mossy rock gardens and carp-filled pools, through a seeming funhouse maze of mirrored walls and floors, to an inner courtyard where a young man dressed in loose white robe and billowing navy pantaloons held a two-meter long bamboo bow. At the other end of the courtyard, a small target—flanked on either side by the three-bird crest—was already pin-cushioned with half a dozen arrows.

Behind the archer, on a raised veranda that ran around three sides of the courtyard, a man lay face-down on a table positioned in the middle of an intricate Turkish rug, while a female masseuse worked on his shoulders and back. The man was gray-haired and wore only a towel about his buttocks; the masseuse was completely naked, save for silver jewelry about each wrist and ankle, and a stud in her belly button. Armed guards stood at each corner of the courtyard.

“My Lord: Mister Adolphus Tracey and associate,” the doorman announced with a bow, then quietly shuffled backwards.

The man with the bow looked up and frowned, then back down at his bow. He fitted an arrow to the string, lifted both bow staff and arrow over his head. Brought the two down and apart at the same time, held the arrow near the cheek for an instant, and loosed. The bow twirled in his fingers as he released the arrow, spinning so that the string faced away from him.

Thwack. The arrow hit the edge of the target.

There was a moment of quiet, interrupted only by the tinkle of jewelry and the rhythmic, liquid slap of the masseuse’s hands on the old man’s bare back.

“Ah, Adolphus, success I take it?” said a muffled voice from the massage table. “A little lower, my dear. A little more. Ah, just there. Harder, now, don’t be shy.”

Tracey was frowning at his feet, a little embarrassed by the skin on display, I think. “My Lord, the gentleman in question is present,” he told his shoes.

“Howdy,” I offered. “Nice rug.” I winked at the masseuse. She blushed.

“Ah, thank you dear, that will do for now.” The old man sat up, wrapping the towel around himself as the nude woman bowed and padded from the courtyard. Got a good look at the man’s face: Angular features, black hair gone to steel. “Thank you Adolphus, efficient as always. Have you told him who I am?”

“Figured that out for myself,” I replied before Tracey could. “Wish I could say it’s nice to meet you, Mister Paradis.”

Thwack.

“My Lord,” hissed Tracey.

“What?”

“You’re supposed to call him ‘My Lord.’”

“Well, I doubt he’s supposed to kidnap people from spaceports, but here we are,” I said, crossing my arms.

Tracey tensed but Lord Masayuki Paradis, Count of Toyokawa, owner of half of Ozawa just smiled and chuckled. “You will see, in due course, why such secrecy was necessary, Mister Glass,” he said, a small smile still tugging at his lips. He snapped his fingers and a servant rushed forward with a Japanese-style robe. He held out his arms as the servant fitted the robe and cinched it shut, then let his arms fall. “I take it you can guess why I wish to speak with you?”

“Reina Paradis.”

“In part,” he said. “My wayward third child and second daughter. Tell me, Mister Glass, do you know where she is?”

“Yes.” Well, I knew where she had been several weeks ago: splattered across a sidewalk inside a SHEL space habitat at the New Avalon L3 Lagrangian point. Where she’d fallen, shortly after being abdominally perforated at point-blank range with a needler pistol.

“Is she with you now?”

“No.”

“Is she dead?”

“Yes.”

He sighed. “I suspected as much. Did you kill her?”

“No.” Might have helped a bit, but didn’t actually pull the trigger, so technically not a lie.

“A wild child, she did rather seem destined for an early end. And the woman commanding your unit, she is impersonating my daughter?”

“Yes.”

“Are you going to answer every question with just ‘Yes’ or ‘No’?”

I thought about that for a second. “No.”

Glass,” Tracey rumbled threateningly.

“Oh back off, Fozzy,” I told him irritably. “Lord Peacock Feathers wants something, he can get right to the bloody point.”

Thwack.

Paradis sat down on the edge of the massage table with a sigh, beckoned a servant who brought a tray with a wine bottle and half-filled glass. Paradis took the glass, then told the servant, “Leave the bottle. I have a feeling I’ll need it.” He took a sip, swilled it around his mouth a moment, savoring it, before swallowing. “Mister Glass, anyone who learns of our meeting will assume I wished to talk to you solely about the whereabouts of my daughter. Well, consider my curiosity assuaged.”

He nodded towards the young archer. “Hiroyuki is my heir, his sister Mina is set to be wed to one of the Devries. Reina was always a bit of an afterthought. A marriage for her to one of the lesser Sandovals or Sorteks might have helped cement our position, but perhaps this new woman can be persuaded to fulfill that role—after all, I hardly mind if she’s my blood or not. It’s the alliance that matters, not the children that come from it.” He set down the glass. “However, all this is smokescreen. I have another reason to speak you, one which coincidentally, is also related to marriage.”

I looked sidelong at Tracey, but his face betrayed no understanding of where Paradis was going with this. “I’m very flattered,” I said. “But you’re not really my type.”

Paradis harrumphed, clapped his hands twice, sharply, the sound ringing out like gunshots in the courtyard. The servants and guards bowed and made themselves disappear. The archer—Hiroyuki—looked up at the old man questioningly. “You too,” Paradis said. “The less you know of this, the better.” The young man scowled, threw the bow down on the ground and stomped off, bare feet slapping against the hard glass flooring.

Tracey took a step back, before being halted by a raised finger. “Not you,” said Paradis. “You’re my insurance in this.” Then he turned back to me. “Now, Mister Glass. You are from the Free Worlds League, are you not?”

I nodded. “Oriente.”

“What if I told you there was a threat, a very real threat, to the continued existence of that League?” Paradis asked. “Wouldn’t you want to do something to warn your homeland?”

There was clockwork calculation there, the same dead voice that had spoken so casually about replacing his own daughter. There was a shape behind those words, hidden between the steel planes and knife-edged panes, what I was hearing was a blurred reflection of his real intentions.

I moved past him, down the three shallow steps from the veranda to the center of the courtyard, bending down to pick up the bamboo bow. It was huge, taller that I was, but surprisingly light. The wood felt strange in this place of glass and metal, a single living thing amid all this millimeter-precise architecture, the hard surfaces and ambition, the cold calculation. I frowned to myself, thumb rubbing across the bow, holding it crosswise in front of me, parallel to the ground.

The old lecher had asked a good question though. Well, would I want to warn the League? But as soon as I asked myself that question, I saw it was the wrong one. “Depends on whether I believed the threat was real,” I said. There was a long quiver of arrows leaning against a bow stand. I took one and fitted it to the string, feeling Tracey’s eyes intent on my back with every motion. “Depends on why a Federated Suns nobleman would want to give such a warning.”

“You’ve heard of the alliance between the Lyran Commonwealth and Federated Suns?”

“Well, that’s no secret.” I stood, arrow still against the string, holding the bow vertically now, straight out from my body. “Hardly seems worth a secret meeting to tell me that.”

“There is a secret clause in the alliance.”

Feet slightly apart. Raised both hands high above my head, bow still held perfectly straight. “One that lets you kidnap space tourists?”

“One that promises Melissa Steiner in marriage to Hanse Davion.”

The arrow slipped from my fingers then. I fumbled for it, caught it before it hit the ground. “Not just an alliance then,” I said. “A union.”

I nodded to myself. It made sense, from Davion’s point of view anyway: access to an industrial base capable of supporting his patently unsustainable military spending. Seemed like political suicide for Steiner though, instantly making an enemy of every Commonwealth Duke, Margrave, Baron and Earl who’d hoped to marry whatever spotty, greasy, inbred heirs they’d produced to the Archon-Designate.

All seemed kind of academic, though, especially for a second-rate nobleman from a third-rate world. I fitted the arrow back to the string. “Still, can’t see how that harms you, unless you’d been planning to marry Reina off to him? In which case, you’d have to get in line.”

“What will happen, once this clause becomes known, do you think?”

“For the happy couple? A few years of bliss, followed by long decades of slow realization that you can never truly know another person and we are all ultimately alone in the universe. Oh, and three to five kids, who may or may not contribute to the aforementioned existential dread thing.” Drew the bow and arrow down and apart. Arrow to my cheek, just below the eye. “For the rest of us? The usual: War.”

Release. Bow spinning in my hand.

Thwack.

“No, not the usual war, Mister Glass. Something quite different.” I turned, to see Paradis smiling thinly down at me.

“You missed,” observed Tracey.

At the other end of the courtyard, my arrow jutted from the eye of the top right bird of paradise on the crest painted on the wall. “How careless of me,” I murmured.

“Since war is inevitable, the Commonwealth and Suns will launch preemptive invasions of the Draconis Combine and Capellan Confederation, respectively, and once they fall the League will surely follow,” Paradis said, refilling his glass. “However. The Draconis March will be denuded of men to reinforce the strike against the Capellans. Now do you understand why this insane plan must be stopped?”

I nodded, slowly, feeling again that the bow was the only natural thing down there in the room. Standing with a man who’d sell not just his own daughter, but his own realm if it served his interests. “You are worried you will lose your fief to a Combine attack while the AFFS concentrates on the Capellans.”

Sono toori, Mister Glass. Ex-act-ly. This is where our interest align.” Paradis took a long drink of wine. “Conquered Capellan worlds will be given to the Lyrans—to those weak-kneed bankers while ancient Marcher families stand to lose everything. What does Davion care if he loses a world here and there if he conquers a score from the Confederation?” He suddenly flung the wine glass away, shattering it against a wall. “He will abandon all of us in the Draconis March to serve his own grasping ambition!”

There was irony in this man criticizing ambition, but I somehow doubted he would see the humor. “Why tell me?” I said, placing the bow carefully in the stand. “I doubt the Combine or Confederation are going to take the word of an ex-League mercenary.”

“Because we have obtained a complete, detailed copy of Operation Rat, the plans for the invasion of the Capellan Confederation,” Paradis said, triumphantly. “Troop movements, timetables, targets, everything. With this you have all the evidence you need to warn the other realms and prepare them. Find someone you can trust, and give them the plans. Once it becomes clear his enemies are alerted, Davion will have no choice but to call off his damn-fool invasion and protect our borders—all our borders.”

“Why me?” I asked. “Why not ComStar, say?”

“Who do you think arranged this treaty?” Paradis scoffed. “ComStar is in this up to their necks. With you, as I said, I have a cover for arranging a meeting. You’re a League citizen—even with the stakes involved, I’m not sure I could stomach giving this information to a Kurita or Liao—and I trust that motivates you to do your best to pass on the information. And, let’s be honest, you are deniable—if you are caught or attempt to betray me, I can expose your complicity in the impersonation of my daughter, and discredit anything you might say.”

I chewed my lip a little, looked up, watched the sky. Still too perfect, not quite believable. “Okay, so you cancel the invasion and get to hold onto the family mansion.” I glanced around the courtyard. “Or mansions, as the case may be. What’s in it for me?”

“Other than the warm patriotic glow of knowing you are helping to save your homeland?”

“Yeah. Other than that.”

Paradis’ jaw twitched a little. “Very well, I undertake not to expose your commander’s charade and allow the two of you to live unmolested. How does that sound?”

“You undertake, do you?” I raised an eyebrow, looked at Tracey. “Hear that? He ‘undertakes’. What fancy words you have for blackmail.”

“Ever man has their price, Mister Glass,” Tracey said slowly. “Just not every man gets to choose it.”

I sighed. “No, I guess not.” I was starting to regret not letting the spaceport security just shoot me. Unity, I needed a drink. I walked back up the steps to the veranda. “What’s your angle in all this, A-for-Adolph Tracey?”

“He will continue to represent my interest in this.” Paradis had a confident smile again. “He will be your escort and bodyguard, until the information is delivered. He will keep you from harm, in other words, meaning both the suffering and the causing of. I trust him, because I know he is loyal to whoever pays him the most. And I do not doubt for a moment I can pay him far, far more than you can ever offer.”

“I try not to let things get complicated.” Tracey spread his big hands wide, and gave a little shrug.

“All right,” I reached over, picked up the wine bottle still beside Paradis, lifted it to my lips and took a swig. Dry, very dry. “This from Ozawa?”

“No, Mister Glass. All the vineyards on Ozawa were irradiated during the First Succession War. On my world, we know how terrible the price of war can be.”

“Yes, so terrible, the damage it can do to wine,” I deadpanned, and put the bottle down. Looked around. “Okay. So, where are these plans?”

Paradis rubbed fastidiously at the neck of the bottle with the sleeve of his robe. “Oh, I’m not so foolish as to keep anything so grossly incriminating around here,” he tutted primly. “You will meet our courier in the Optimates Lounge at the spaceport.”

“The spaceport?” I groaned, dragging one hand across my eyes. “You mean you drove me all the way out here just to have this little chat, and now you’re going to ship me all the way back again. Doesn’t this strike anyone as a touch. You know. Inefficient?”

“Well, I’m certainly not going out there,” Paradis said, brows furrowed in puzzlement like the very concept was unimaginable. He flapped a hand dismissively. “Run along now, Mister Glass. Adolphus knows the way. I do so very much hope we shall never meet or speak again.”

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #165 on: 03 April 2018, 07:43:29 »
I'd forgotten the timeline of this thing. Hmm. Okay. Let's see where this goes, since it seems we already know how Paradis' plans turn out.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #166 on: 03 April 2018, 08:46:56 »
I'd forgotten the timeline of this thing. Hmm. Okay. Let's see where this goes, since it seems we already know how Paradis' plans turn out.

mmmmmmmmaybe. Mr. Fancy Pants thinks COMSTAR is involved in the deal (historically, they were not). As for the nudity? Well, when the movie comes out, i guess they will offer Rated-R and Rated-NC-17 versions at release. :D

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #167 on: 03 April 2018, 18:16:03 »
Before I say anything, I should mention I'm not a lore guru, and indeed I find discussions about what can or can't happen in BT because of this or that obscure reference highly irritating and counterproductive to good storytelling.

So, with that, a few comments on the 'lore' of the story.

Every fan fiction is by default an alternate universe from accepted canon, if only by virtue of not being an official publication. I tend to write 'soft' AU, in that events don't directly contradict major events in the established timeline. Whether or not this is a soft or hard AU is, I hope, part of the fun in reading along--will it or won't it stick to the script?

The reference to Xiang as a new Solaris contender and lack of public knowledge about the marriage puts this in early 3027 in the canon timeline. My impression from official publications was that ComStar's involvement was canon: the FedCom accords were signed on Terra with the knowledge and support of the Primus. I think there was a Battlecorps story about that, too. If that's been contradicted elsewhere then eh. Paradis' comment wasn't meant to indicate anything (to the reader) other than how well-informed he is.

cpip

• Corporal
« Reply #168 on: 03 April 2018, 22:16:52 »
Every fan fiction is by default an alternate universe from accepted canon, if only by virtue of not being an official publication. I tend to write 'soft' AU, in that events don't directly contradict major events in the established timeline. Whether or not this is a soft or hard AU is, I hope, part of the fun in reading along--will it or won't it stick to the script?

Indeed; if somehow Our Hero manages to derail either the FedCom wedding or the Fourth Succession War ... well, I'm here either way, because the story's going to be grand whichever happens.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #169 on: 05 April 2018, 07:17:58 »
EPISODE 4-3: Hypomaniac episodes

The limo-tank that had brought me to Paradis’ mansion was still waiting outside.

“He do this a lot?” I asked Tracey as we climbed back in. “Shuttling people around like cargo—not the high treason thing.”

Tracey shrugged, a mournful little landslide of muscle. “He can afford to.”

“And yet he’s still alive,” I marveled. “Adolphus my friend, you are a paragon of patience. A saint.”

“They pay well and on time,” he said by way of explanation, taking off his small eyeglasses and rubbing them with a cloth. The whole lens disappearing beneath his thumb. “It’s easy to hate the rich, but what would you do differently in their place? Nothing. Nothing at all. Because they’re still people, still the same species, the same DNA as the rest of us, so in a real sense they are you or me, but for accident of birth. The nobility are just like us, only. With more money.”

Which was more than I’d heard out of him all day. Perhaps a sensitive topic. “Yeah, maybe,” I agreed. “But on the other hand: Definitely not.” A sensitive topic for me at any rate: One didn’t go to Princefield Military Academy on a commoner ticket without developing certain views on the subject. “There’s such a thing as entitlement.”

Two Addicks Spaceport Security guards at the entrance to the Optimates Lounge moved to block our path. Tracey, still in his ill-fitting uniform, produced a guest pass which a guard scanned with a handheld device shaped like a fat grey scorpion. It beeped reassuringly. He waved us in.

Inside the Lounge was a long wooden reception counter and a beaming hostess in a form-fitting black tuxedo suit and bowtie. She consulted a glowing monitor behind the desk, then looked up at us. “Ah, Mister Tracey. So nice to have you with us today. You’re here to see Lady Querrey? This way, please.”

She led us through the main lounge, a long rectangular room lit by the glittering constellation of a gigantic chandelier, the room’s wide space dotted around the edge with plush chairs and sofas of various shapes and sizes. A string quintet played softly on a low stage at one end of the lounge—three violins, two cellos. Playing Tourmaline’s “Exodus of Exo Dust.” The musicians were all hairless albinos, dressed in Renaissance style with outrageous ruffles at the wrists and neck.

There was a long buffet table with a layer of crushed ice, piled high with pyramids of multicolored fruit, bleeding red meat and soft, pink slug-like cephalopods, some of which were still moving. Guests ranged up and down the table in restless, animated herds, spearing this food or that with long, gold-plated forks. A side table with chilled wine and champagne did brisk business, while the hulking, frothing drink dispenser had enough barrels to win the Solaris Grand T.

There were women in shimmering gold silk as sheer as body paint, with long braided hair and the side or back of their heads shaved like Commonwealth MechWarriors. Wizened old men in long-tailed jackets with warpaint-smeared faces, pseudo-tribal logograms or leering skulls in vivid pastel colors. A young man in tennis wear, racket under one arm, though I hadn’t seen any courts in the spaceport. A woman trailed everywhere by a small drone hovering overhead, which projected a series of wildlife holos across the canvas of her white dress.

Some people said it was odd humanity hadn’t yet encountered any alien life, but looking around the lounge I wasn’t so sure we hadn't.

The hostess led us to a door off the side of the main lounge, pressed an intercom button beside the door and stood, beaming politely at the smooth, reflective surface in the way of service people who’ve been told to never stop smiling.

A green light winked above the intercom and the hostess said, “A Mister Tracey and guest to see you, My Lady.”

The door swung open, apparently automatically, and the hostess bowed and ushered us inside. The door swung closed, suddenly cutting off Tourmaline’s Exodus of Exo Dust in mid violin-swell. Soundproofed walls, a nice touch.

The walls inside were paneled in glossy black wood, and in the center of the room was a long table laden with a noteputer in the center, and three chairs each facing a truly impressive tonnage of silverware. Looked more like a surgeon’s tool kit than a dinner setting. There was a meter-high window stretching nearly the entire length of the far wall, with a view away from the spaceport, over the anthill outline of Saint Randall CIty and towards the rose and violet mountains in the distance.

Tracey coughed, maybe he meant to do it politely but with lungs like his it sounded like an elephant giving birth. “Lady Querrey.”

In front of the window stood a woman, just turning towards us, short platinum blond hair, an off-the-shoulder black dress beaded with lustrous stones, a voluminous wide skirt studded with metallic glowing nodes around the hem. Streams of ruby, sapphire and emerald butterflies danced and whirled around her feet and legs, before abruptly disappearing when they rose past her knees.

“Holo emitters in the skirt,” she said, noticing my attention. She pointed at the luminous blobs at the bottom of her dress. “Used to have them set to ‘Avalon Mist’, so I could appear enchanting and mysterious, but people kept thinking my dress was on fire and pulling the fire alarm. So it’s butterflies now, instead. Less exciting but I stay drier.”

I pinched the collar of my navy blue DropShip crew jumpsuit, rubbing the material between thumb and index finger. “Yes, well, only thing this does is turn black. Eventually,” I said wryly. “If you don’t wash it for long enough.”

“Don’t mind him, My Lady,” rumbled Tracey. “Irreverence seems to be his default setting.”

“Well then, let’s be seated and get this over with,” she said, moving to the table. “Then he can go be irreverent at someone else.”

Tracey and I sat on one side, Lady Querrey on the other. Facing a phalanx of forks, spoons, knives and other things which could as easily have been torture implements and eating utensils.

“What’s this?” I asked, picking up something that looked like the galaxy’s smallest stainless steel spatula, with two curved prongs jutting out of the handle.

“A lobster fork,” Querrey replied, with a slightly condescending smile.

“Aha, so that’s what one looks like.” I twirled it around in my fingers. “And what’s a lobster?”

“Delicious.” She folded her hands atop the table. “Mister Glass, this information is being provided to you at no little risk to us. I hope you will appreciate the gravity, and act accordingly.”

“Us?”

“Count Paradis is not alone in his … concerns. Hanse Davion’s obsession with the Capellans is one thing, yes. If he fails in his gamble, it will be a disaster for the Draconis March. The danger to the rest of us, though, is: What if he succeeds? What stops him from proclaiming himself Emperor, Autarch or Star Lord then? Already, his Brigade of Guards could wipe out any Duke he likes on a whim. With this alliance, he grows twice as powerful, yet a planetary Duke gains no power at all. His success threatens us as much as his failure.”

Ah, the tightrope act every House Lord must walk with their nobles. If the ruler is too weak, they attract contempt and revolt, usurpation even. Look at Alessandro Steiner. But by the same token, if they are too strong, too popular, they attract jealousy and fear. Not among their enemies, or not just among them, but among their own vassals as well: fear of being stripped of their privileges, of losing their independence. Our neo-feudal society is a tripod, with the House Lord’s power supported by the legs of the aristocracy, the military and industry. Weaken support from any one of those three, and the whole thing comes toppling down.

“Hasek-Davion?” I guessed, still toying with the fork. “Sandoval?”

Querrey gave an elegant, negligent shrug. “It could be both, or neither. Does it matter?” She reached over to the noteputer in the center of the table, flipped up the monitor and turned it around, so that it faced towards Tracey and me. “Now to the matter at hand. We realize you will have a hard time taking us on faith. You may inspect the file and confirm its authenticity before you leave for Galatea.”

“Its authenticity?” I mused, tapping the spatula end of the fork against my palm. How was I supposed to judge that? I occurred to me this could be Davion’s version of Operation Fortitude, a deliberate deception meant to send Combine and Confederation forces to defend the wrong targets when the blow finally fell. Paradis and Querrey might even genuinely believe the information to be true, but the plans themselves might be fake ones purposefully leaked by DMI or MIIO. It was enough to set one’s holo-butterflies all aflutter.

I tapped through a few pages. From what I could tell, it was just as Paradis had described—Davion was gambling everything on a massive, overwhelming strike aimed against the Confederation, hoping to take them out of the fight before the Combine could intervene.

As a strategy, it relied on the Combine not doing precisely what the Federation was doing—going straight for the jugular. That seemed a dangerous gamble to make with the Combine, whose smaller but professional military was essentially the concept of ‘go for the jugular’ distilled and given physical form. Without the Commonwealth as allies, it would have been madness. Even with them, it still seemed risky, since a lot was riding on both the Lyrans’ ability to take on the Dracs—something they had singularly failed to do for much of the previous two decades—and on the League not counterattacking in the Confederation front, not distracting the Lyrans by opening a second front, indeed, on them not doing anything at all.

“Well, it’s not exactly Aleksandr Kerensky,” I said. “But then, I bet even Aleksandr Kerensky wasn’t exactly Aleksandr Kerensky, so who knows. Is it possible? Maybe. Is it real? Couldn’t tell you.”

“Is it believable, then?” she said a little frostily. “And for Unity’s sake, put that fork down!”

As if on cue, the fork slipped from my fingers, hit the edge of the table and clattered to the floor. “Got to be careful with these things,” I muttered. “You could put someone’s eye—”

I bent down to retrieve the fork.

Crack. Crack. Crack.

I glanced up. The window now sported three neat, round, orange-glowing holes. Looked over—the noteputer monitor had a matching hole, while white stuffing was blowing from two holes puncturing the back of the seat I’d just been sitting in. Tracey was already prone on the floor, shouting “Cover!” while Querrey sat there, mouth in a round ‘O’ of shock.

Sniper laser.

I joined Tracey as horizontal as possible on the floor, then kicked the crossbar of Querrey’s chair and sent both it and her toppling over backwards, just as another series of crackling laser shots punched through the glass, blowing divots out of the walls on either side of the room.

“Try for the door?” I shouted at Tracey.

He shook his head. “He’ll have that covered.”

“Well, he’s going to figure we’re on the floor soon,” I looked over to where Querrey crouched in a puddle of black satin. “Can your dress still do the mist thing?” She nodded mutely. “Do it, dial it up to 11.”

She fumbled at the base of her dress, cringing as the sniper aimed lower now, shots burning straight through the wall and blowing up tiny eruptions of carpet. Then the room was filled with slightly pixelated, undulating mist.

“Now!” I shouted, grabbing Querrey by one arm and fumbling for the data crystal in the noteputer in the other, crouch-running for the door. A row of fiery red holes appeared in the door’s surface, just above waist height. Tracey had already crawled next to the door, threw it violently open, and all three of us dashed into the main lounge.

A couple of people looked curiously in our direction, then away in boredom. A flush-faced noblewoman bursting from a private, soundproofed room with two rugged military-looking men, her dress in disarray, was cause for gossip and smiles hidden behind hands, not alarm.

“You okay?” Tracey asked me as we walked briskly towards the exit, running without looking like we were running. Mist continued to swirl up from Querrey’s dress.

“I think at this stage of the proceedings, my being okay would be a pretty strong sign I wasn’t okay,” I remarked, half-dragging Querrey along with us. Nodded pleasantly to the tuxedoed hostess as we swept out of the Optimates Lounge. “I’m unhurt. We got a destination?”

“The DropShip,” Tracey nodded through Querrey’s digital fog, towards the departures lounge. “Put some distance between us and that trigger-happy maniac. Preferably a few light years of distance. You believe the plan is real now?”

“I believe someone believes it’s real.”

“Please tell me you have the crystal.”

“Oh sure, no problem, it’s right here in my hand,” I held up my hand to demonstrate. Nestled inside it, gleaming in the concourse lights, was the lobster fork.

“Ah no, wrong hand.” I held the crystal between thumb and index finger, while Tracey just gave me a long look, and slowly shook his head.

Then someone pulled the fire alarm and the ceiling sprinklers burst into life.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #170 on: 05 April 2018, 12:24:33 »
ROFLcopter.... 'what's a Lobster'...

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #171 on: 06 April 2018, 03:31:18 »
The song rock lobster just keeps going around in my head. :D
With Comstar they knew about the wedding, the alliance, but not the invasion of the Capcon.
Hanse was doing everything to hide it, sending messages by jump ship and black boxes.
Growing up is optional.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #172 on: 06 April 2018, 04:32:54 »
With Comstar they knew about the wedding, the alliance, but not the invasion of the Capcon.

Well, works for me. The evil count wouldn't necessarily know how much ComStar was involved, just that they weren't to be trusted. Plot-wise it gives us an excuse for the conspirators to need a physical courier rather than just making an interstellar phonecall.

Anyway, this is what bugs me about canon discussions - they detract from the actual storytelling. I hereby declare this an AU and therefore not bound to any canon. Take that Mr Stackpole!
« Last Edit: 07 April 2018, 05:50:39 by Dubble_g »

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #173 on: 06 April 2018, 09:29:46 »
We'll, works for me. The evil count wouldn't necessarily know how much ComStar was involved, just that they weren't to be trusted. Plot-wise it gives us an excuse for the conspirators to need a physical courier rather than just making an interstellar phonecall.

Anyway, this is what bugs me about canon discussions - they detract from the actual storytelling. I hereby declare this an AU and therefore not bound to any canon. Take that Mr Stackpole!
an AU that just happens to follow cannon... from a certain POV :D

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #174 on: 06 April 2018, 18:12:50 »
I don't really care if it's canon or not, I am just hear for the story and the free beer. ;)
Growing up is optional.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #175 on: 07 April 2018, 01:29:39 »
I don't really care if it's canon or not, I am just hear for the story and the free beer. ;)

There´s free beer? I´ve been reading this wrong the whole time.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #176 on: 07 April 2018, 05:53:24 »
Great reaction there from Sir Chaos: Well, I don't normally comment on--
free beer. ;)
--wait. This requires more discussion.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #177 on: 07 April 2018, 06:05:32 »
EPISODE 4-4: Persecution complex

The fire alarm turned out to be a stroke of luck. Thank Unity for whatever overzealous good Samaritan decided to pull the little red bar when they saw Querrey’s steaming dress.

Shrill bells started screaming, water was pouring from the ceiling, people looked up, looked at each other, then stampeded for the exits, blasting straight through the desperately reassuring, calming brownie-clad security guards like a PPC through kindling.

“Come on,” I shouted as the three of us plunged straight past spaceport security and out onto the tired grey hardtop of the launch pads. A lone Draconis March Militia Valkyrie stood like Egyptian statuary at the edge of the field by the security fence. People were scrambling, dashing amid the cargo carriers, fuel tankers and coolant trucks. It was at least 100 meters to even the closest DropShip, as bare as Candace Liao after a night of drinking, and suicide to cross with a sniper still out there, somewhere. With the panic, though, there were hundreds of people all bolting across the field in every direction, so we could make a run for it and pray whoever it was wouldn’t just mow everyone down and damn the consequences.

“Which one’s our DropShip?” I shouted at Tracey, a bewildered and now bedraggled Querrey still in tow.

“That one,” he pointed to a battered olive green cargo DropShip with swept-back wings terminating in oval weapons pods. The side of the hull proclaimed it the Market Equalizer.

“Ha, no, Adolphus, that’s Forrest’s DropShip.” I slowed my pace so he could catch up, let me drop my voice to a less lung-busting volume. “I mean the DropShip that’s going to get us out of here.”

“Yes, that’s the one. Is there a problem?”

“You tell me: The man’s already been bought at least twice,” breathing hard now, the boarding ramp right in front of us. “Doesn’t inspire confidence.”

“You can go back if you like,” said Tracey, waving back to the shrinking spaceport building in the distance and all the exposed ground between us and it, then pounded up the ramp.

Swearing under my breath, I followed, slamming my palm on the door close button once we were inside.

The bridge was much as I’d left it that morning: a haphazard collection of consoles and acceleration couches, none of them the originals and no two exactly alike, with jury-rigged wiring sprouting like multicolored tentacles from every surface, coiling underfoot in anaconda loops of sheathed copper and fiber-optic cable. The sort of deliberate, defiant clutter of a rebellious teenager’s bedroom—I think Forrest kept it messy just to make the point that order was overrated.

Derek Forrest himself was standing in the center of the bridge, talking to a man I didn’t recognize—bearded, dark-skinned, with intense eyes. Forrest turned and did a double take as we entered the bridge, still dripping wet from the fire sprinklers, boots squishing with each step. Querrey had the hem of her dress in both hands and was wringing it out on the deck.

“H-hey Glass,” Forrest smile weakly. The perpetual crease of worry down the middle of his forehead deepened into a crevasse. “Didn’t expect to see you again. I mean, so soon.”

“Shut up and stop worrying, Forrest,” I said, fighting for breath and leaning against one of the consoles. “I won’t kill you. Now.” Smiled warmly at him. “Just kidding. Maybe.”

“Got a problem, Derek,” said Tracey looking at the new guy. “Who’s this?”

“Oh hey, yeah, the newest member of the crew, just signed on today. Say ‘Hi’ to Jafar guys and why are you pointing a gun at us Jafar?”

As Forrest was speaking, the man had reached casually down into a large olive duffel bag at his feet, and when he straightened was holding a brutal-looking gun in both hands. It looked a bit like weaponized indoor plumbing: A short length of steel tubing with a trigger and foregrip welded to the bottom, a folding shoulder stock and massive revolver-type drum magazine. The whole thing was painted a bright, cheery yellow, except for the muzzle, which was tangerine orange.

A 40mm FedArms riot gun, capable of firing a variety of non-lethal ammunition, like tear gas or pepper rounds, but also just as capable of firing perfectly lethal stuff too, like a drink-can sized solid shot that would not so much leave a big hole in you, as leave a little you around a big hole. No guesses which this one was loaded with.

“Shut up Forrest,” said the man, echoing my words from seconds earlier. He kept the FedArms aimed about halfway between Tracey and me, ready to waste either of us with a slight twitch. “The data crystal, if you please, gentlemen.”

Keeping very still, I said: “It’s in the pocket of my overalls. Going to have to let me move to get it.”

“Slowly,” he said, the black maw of the FedArms not wavering.

I reached into my pocket. No weapon there, unless you counted the lobster fork. Which, while deadly to crustaceans, probably wouldn’t do much to assassins. Still, better than nothing, I figured. Pushed it up my sleeve with one finger, then brought up my hand, data crystal held between thumb and index finger.

Jafar toed his bag slightly towards me. “In there, if you would, Mister Glass. And don’t think of throwing it away. I’ll just paste the pair of you and look for it after.”

I slowly tossed the crystal into the open bag. Let the fork fall down into my palm as I lowered my hand.

“Excellent. Such a pleasure to work with professionals,” Jafar smiled. “Now, if you would remove your dress, Miss Querrey.”

She looked at him blankly, eyes going quite wide. She shot a look at me, at Tracey, but I could only give a tiny shrug.

“As distasteful as this is, my employers wish this kept as quiet as possible,” Jafar’s widening smile suggested he found nothing even remotely distasteful about it. “A noblewoman caught in a compromising situation will ensure everyone does their best to keep this out of the public eye.”

Querrey swallowed noisily, nodded one, twice jerkily. “Okay, okay. Oh Unity. Please don’t kill me. Got to disconnect the emitters first, otherwise the dress won’t come off. Please.”

“Do it.”

She slowly crouched down, a trembling hand reaching for the emitters, just the way I’d seen her do before—when she switched them from butterflies to mist. She shot me a look through her eyelashes as she bent down. I tensed. Her hand brushed an emitter.

Strobe. An intense, blinding flash of light, directed right at Jafar’s eyes.

I leapt over the consoles as Jafar reeled backwards, barrel of the FedArms flying up, and stabbed him through the right hand with the fork, trying to make him let go. Didn’t work. Jafar screamed, pulled the trigger. Deafening roar, punching a bowling-ball hole in the ceiling—thankfully stopped before it penetrated all the way through. Shower of metal fragments like confetti raining down on us.

I grabbed the barrel with one hand, keeping it upwards, twisted the fork through the tendons of his hand and forced him to let go the trigger. A sharp kick to the back of the knee sent him crashing to the deck. I stepped quickly back out of reach, the FedArms in my hands now, flipping it to point at Jafar as he struggled to rise from the deck.

“Right.” I breathed. “Now—”

My words were cut off by a burst of gunfire, a metallic roar shockingly loud in the cramped bridge, Jafar’s head jerking back and fountaining blood across the deck, dark roses suddenly blooming across his chest.

Tracey stood with his Stetta held in both hands, smoke curling from the barrel.

“Understandable,” I said to him. “Though a little. Extreme. Perhaps? Might have waited until after we’d had a chat with the man. Who sent you and all that.”

Tracey shrugged, slowly lowering the Stetta. “Thought he had a grenade in his belt,” he said. “Better safe than sorry.” He turned towards Forrest, still holding the machine pistol. “A new recruit, you said? A slight … lapse, in judgement, or something else?”

The worry line on Forrest’s forehead became a crevasse. He tried to back up, but bumped straight into a control console instead. “Hey … no … look … the thing is … it was like this …”

“Like what?”

“Oh, lay off him Adolph,” I said, shaking my head. I threw the hand cannon back on top of Jafar’s bag, wondering why it was bright yellow—to disguise it as a paint gun or power tool, maybe. Bent to pick the data crystal back up. “This one time his incompetence works in his favor. No way he has the wit to be a triple agent.”

“Th-th-thanks Aric.” Forrest’s smile was one hundred percent desperate insincerity.

I was about to ask Querrey if she was okay, then realized what a stupid question that was. “Nice work,” I told her instead. “Quick thinking.”

She kind of nodded absently, looking at Jafar’s body in a daze.

The communications console crackled to life. “DropShip Market Equalizer, this is Addicks spaceport control. Everything okay down there folks? Had a report of gunfire.”

Forrest blinked, kind of shook himself—looking a bit like a ferret after a swim—and moved to answer the call.

“Wait.” I said. “You recognize that voice?”

Forrest cocked his head, shook it. “No, but, there must be lots of people who work at the spaceport. Why?”

“How in Unity’s name did anyone file a report when they’re in the middle of a fire alarm?” I asked. “Look, if this guy and his sniper friend were DMI or MIIO, we’re probably about ten seconds from them calling in the militia and boarding us, secrecy be damned.”

“What sniper? What fire alarm? Why would Davion intelligence be after us?” Forrest’s forehead was beyond crevasse territory now, well on its way to a worry chasm.

“Repeat, DropShip Market Equalizer, this is spaceport control. Please respond.”

“All the crew on board?” I asked Forrest.

Market Equalizer, respond please.”

“Well, yeah, except the now there’s no pilot—” he said, gesturing helplessly towards Jafar.

“Don’t need him,” I said, sliding into the pilot’s couch. “Strap in folks. We’re leaving.” I punched the ship-wide intercom. “Attention all crew, this is your pilot speaking. Prepare for liftoff in … well, right about now.”

Then grabbed the straps of the couch restraints and brought them clicking together. Fired up the DropShip’s reactor.

Market Equalizer, what the hell is going on down there? Turn off your reactor. You do not have permission to take off.”

Glanced around. Everyone else was buckled in. Tracey looking grimly intent, Querrey’s eyes screwed tightly shut, arms folded across her chest as she gripped the straps over her shoulders. Forrest essayed a weak smile. “Could be this guy’s for real. Maybe we should just tell them—”

Reverse. The DropShip suddenly lurched into motion, jerking back away from its docking port. Orange and yellow sparks flew across the viewport as power cables that had linked the ship to the spaceport’s power supply stretched like rubber arms, then snapped violently free.

“That’s it. We’re calling in the militia—”

The voice cut short as Tracey closed the circuit. Now forward throttle, turning us in an arc towards the aerodyne DropShip runway. Slowly gathering speed, distant tremors as the rugged landing gear transmitted to us the negative spaces of gaps between ferrocrete blocks. Luckily, the Buccaneer could take off from improvised fields as well as prepared runways.

Forrest was still babbling: “No need to be paranoid, I’m sure if we explained—”

Proximity alarm started howling. A Fury DropShip falling straight toward us, nose up, making its final approach. I rammed the throttle all the way open, get us under and past it, the DropShip leaping forward, sudden acceleration pressing us down. Engine noise kicking up from elephant rumble to hyena scream.

Fury pilot must have seen it too, tried to abort his landing, struggling to gain altitude, drive flare blossoming from the rear of the DropShip like an incandescent torch.

Passing over our tail plane, meters to spare. Drive exhaust scorching a black line down our dorsal armor. Heat gauge in the cockpit surging into the yellow zone. And then we were past it, shooting underneath, nothing but the straight runway ahead.

Nothing, except the 10-meter high figure of the militia Valkyrie standing in the middle of it.

“Brace for impact,” I said. The Buccaneer is 100 times more massive than a Valkyrie. Hitting it wouldn’t do much to slow us down.

“—it was all just a misunder—Oh Unity, we’re all gonna die—”

Mechjock must suddenly have realized we weren’t slowing down. He raised the right arm, fired a laser pulse at our nose. Crouched and brought the left arm up in front of the cockpit—like that would have helped any.

Lucky hit impacted right against the ferroglass. The glass held, but for a split second I was blinded, muscles reflexively twitched to avoid the blow.

Thud. Thudthudthudthud. We’d swerved, just a few degrees, but we were running diagonally across the field beside the runway now. The muted juddering of the cracked ferrocrete became full-on titanic shaking, like some hundred-handed giant was rattling us like dice in a cup. Control stick aiming to rip both my arms from their sockets. Spaceport security fence coming up fast—10 meters of reinforced ferrocrete topped with electrified barbed wire.

Hauled back on the stick. The Buccaneer hesitated a little. Fence getting real close real fast. Forrest finally shut up, just watching the viewscreen white-faced. Querrey audibly praying to a number of gods in quick succession. Fence really too close now.

Kick as the wheels left the ground. The DropShip seemed to stagger, surprised to find itself airborne, then powered forward, up, up, not fast enough, up. Dull bang as something caught the top edge of the fence, tearing free. Glance down at the control panel showed we’d lost one of the landing gear.

Wobble in the flight, one wing dipping. My arms like steel around the control stick, bringing us level again.

Then tilting us up, up, almost vertical, powering higher and higher into that too-perfect, false blue sky.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #178 on: 07 April 2018, 06:31:10 »
That Valk jock needs a psych exam and new underwear.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #179 on: 07 April 2018, 09:08:39 »
It's the next surface landing that will be interesting (unless Forest knows how to repair a main mount in 0g IAW the MIM's)