Author Topic: What about character graphical style ?  (Read 2213 times)

Onirim

• Corporal
What about character graphical style ?
« on: 21 March 2018, 03:33:14 »
Hi all,

I'm working on a 3025 AToW campaign in the Free World League (the PC will be MechWarriors in a local defense force).
And I question myself about the character graphical style for imaginary, and for the character portraits.

My fellow players always choose a pic for their characters in roleplaying game. Sometime it's a photography, a character digital painting, rarely a manga or comics character. It's all about the style of the game. But for Battletech, I really don't know what is the best suitable style, or if I will accept anything.

What do you think about it ? What type of pic do you use (if any) ?
Mechwarrior from France

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: What about character graphical style ?
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2018, 07:21:48 »
Mostly photographs at the moment... if you PM me your e-mail address and have PowerPoint, I have a few slides I'm willing to share from my play by post game...

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2018, 11:15:25 »
When I bother (which is rare) I like to pick movie characters who I think would look and behave like those pilots. Appropriate movie stills therefore...

I'm not the only one. https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56303.0

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2018, 12:00:44 »
To avoid thread necro over there, I'd also add Black Hawk Down to his list.  Plenty of sweaty pilots with large helmets in that one...

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2018, 12:04:55 »
Images of people doing steampunk/dieselpunk cosplay make for pretty on-point costumes set in the depths of the Succession Wars.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2018, 21:29:27 »
I use Lego Minifigs.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Onirim

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2018, 05:21:34 »
Thanks for your answers !

I like using photography pics, but I don't take them from movies. Mostly because I caught the characters in everyday life rather than during military tour of duty :)
Mechwarrior from France

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2018, 18:08:50 »
The BBC has some really excellent soldier photos: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29473419

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2018, 20:15:59 »
to be honest if I was a better artist I would be drawing my own characters a lot of the time.
With that said a lot of the time I can find images online that will work even if its not exactly what I am thinking of.

I will admit that I find that my Aerospace pilot chars tend to have starcraft ghost, and or the standard (female) aerospace pilot in ATOW inspired flight gear.  basically more:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS400US400&tbm=isch&q=form+fitting+spacesuit&backchip=g_9:mechanical+counter+pressure&chips=q:form+fitting+space+suit&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwij356epYbaAhUN9GMKHUwDDfUQ3VYIJCgA&biw=1434&bih=1057&dpr=1.5

than the old "michelan man" style of traditional NASA space suits

with mechwarriors using similar gear (if available) whereas I see tank crews using the more bulky (read cheaper) gear

on the other hand I personally don't typically have my chars having tons of Tattoos especially not the "tribal" ones that just about every ATOW char seems to have

edit I also tend to look at Anime chars a lot, but that's just me and my group.

Sebastian Llywelyn

• Private
  • "I am the fear that haunts your mind."
« Reply #9 on: 01 April 2018, 22:17:23 »
I use Lego Minifigs.

lol

I tend to use photography, like most everybody else. I also try to find artwork from the old BattleTech books, primarily because of nostalgia and the fact that I just like the art style.
"By Freedom's Sword"

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 01 April 2018, 22:34:30 »
What about Hero Machine?

http://www.heromachine.com/all-heromachine-versions/

I like version 2.5.  3.0 is more powerful but I never quite got the hang of it.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Sebastian Llywelyn

• Private
  • "I am the fear that haunts your mind."
« Reply #11 on: 01 April 2018, 22:49:29 »
That's a pretty nifty looking tool, thanks for sharing.  ;D
"By Freedom's Sword"

Lamont-Cranston

• Corporal
« Reply #12 on: 02 April 2018, 01:38:40 »
Deviantart has plenty

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 02 April 2018, 22:28:48 »
I was able to knock this together in in version 3 in an hour or so.  The hardest part was finding a vest that bulky enough. 
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Register