Author Topic: The Administrator  (Read 42442 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
The Administrator
« on: 15 March 2020, 18:43:03 »
3142 CE, Kowloon, Coventry Province, Lyran Commonwealth...

"No."  Her Grace and Duchess Sharon Ngo  let the word float in the room. 

"Duchess Ngo, your grace, you are obligated to."  General Ilse Krieger insisted.

"Surprisingly, no, I am not."  the young Duchess, successor to Amanda Ngo, who fell victim to an assassination not ten days ago, shook her head.  "I am obligated only to my world, and the terms of the Annexation Treaty of 2782.  I can quote the relevant passages if you need a refresher, General.  Kowloon has sent Fifty Percent of our standing Militias to the aid of the Lyran Commonwealth over the course of this emergency, including all battlemech forces currently extant.  We have tolerated the garrison of mercenary units on our soil, however, I am not Richard Cameron."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means I will not bleed my people dry and accept foreigners as replacements until we're under the thumb of a foreign appointed governor, General.  Those mercs can find work elsewhere, perhaps on the front lines of the current conflict.  Mercenaries are bought soldiers, they serve under contract, if Brewer can't negotiate a contract to use those bought soldiers on the front, they are worthless, and I will not have worthless soldiers making trouble in my territory, I will also not bleed my people's defenses to the point those soldiers appear more valuable than they are, especially under the command of a man whose chief value as a military commander is the presence of a Y chromosome."

"You do understand, I must place you under arrest." the General told her.

"I understand you must try." she told him, "one of us isn't going to walk out of here, because I am obligated to refuse to allow myself to be arrested by an officer acting on behalf of an illegitimate Archon."

his guards moved, she was faster.

Krieger watched it in slow motion, as Sharon drew her pistol, while rolling to the side, her first shots were placed on his men as if she were standing stationary on a target range.

Blam! a man fell

Blam! another.

Blam! a third, clutching at his throat as his lifeblood flooded into his lungs.

Blam! a fourth, her TK-22 assault rifle spraying the far side of the chamber.

Blam! his aide, Hauptmann Grief's, head opened at the back, spraying blood and brains across the map on the wall.

Two more of the general's bodyguards slumped, knives buried into the backs of their skulls by Her Grace's men.

He barely had his sidearm clear of the holster as a cold, smooth blade lay against his throat.  "Down weapons, herr general."  a man's voice said reasonably as the Duchess got to her feet, and re-filled the cylinder of her primitive looking magnum revolver.

"This is rebellion." Krieger said.

"No, this is rule of law.  a soldier is obligated not to obey any unlawful order.  as the Usurper Brewer is not the legitimate nor legal Archon of the Lyran Commonwealth, I am obligated to refuse to support him-or the cabal that put him in charge, and in such cases, lethal force is permitted when reason fails."  she placed the sidearm back in her cross-draw holster, "You are under arrest, Herr General, bound by law, for crimes against the legitimate government of the Lyran Commonwealth and conspiracy to commit additional crimes.  You have the right to remain silent, you have the right to competent legal counsel, you have the right to a fair and unbiased hearing of tribunal.  do you understand those rights as I have explained them?"
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: The Administrator
« Reply #1 on: 15 March 2020, 19:53:17 »
More Kowloon!  :excited:

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2020, 01:59:22 »
more Loonies!!!
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2020, 02:18:21 »
Death to the Usurper! Amaris? Brewer? The only thing that matters is the situation. The name matters not.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2020, 07:00:29 »
Kowloon... Kowloon never changes...
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2020, 10:59:37 »
Kowloon... Kowloon never changes...

And people keep sticking important bits of themselves into that system thinking "It will be different this time/for me!"

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2020, 11:14:21 »
And people keep sticking important bits of themselves into that system thinking "It will be different this time/for me!"

I´m pretty sure that at this time anyone who gets killed by a Ngo like that is legally considered a suicide.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2020, 11:47:26 »
I´m pretty sure that at this time anyone who gets killed by a Ngo like that is legally considered a suicide.
I wouldn't be surprised if "Ngo" is one of the tickable boxes on a Lyran death Certificate
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #8 on: 16 March 2020, 12:08:22 »
lol 😂
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 16 March 2020, 13:33:20 »
I wouldn't be surprised if "Ngo" is one of the tickable boxes on a Lyran death Certificate

When the Corner fills out the electronic forms, when he selects "Suicide" that is an option listed under the 'method' field.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #10 on: 16 March 2020, 15:16:17 »
"Okay, all done. I called Command. They wanted me to pass along condolences at the General's passing."
"What did you tell them?"
"I told them Liz did it. Apparently they already have a shortcut on their keyboard for reporting her team kills."

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #11 on: 16 March 2020, 16:40:46 »
"Okay, all done. I called Command. They wanted me to pass along condolences at the General's passing."
"What did you tell them?"
"I told them Liz did it. Apparently they already have a shortcut on their keyboard for reporting her team kills."
CTL+ALT+N

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 16 March 2020, 17:50:34 »

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 16 March 2020, 18:35:49 »
It will be..    this time I will land and not be jerk and try to take over
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 22 March 2020, 18:38:07 »
Spider Moon Coast Guard Base, Kowloon system...

"Don't you think we should do something, your Grace?"  Commodore Giao Pham asked.  "The Commonwealth is being overrun."

"We are doing something." Sharon said, "We're keeping the quarantine up." she looked at her Coast Guard commander, "We're keeping the virus from killing the rest of humanity until a cure can be found."

"Do you believe in a cure?" Giao asked, "After decades, you still believe?"

"I have to." Sharon stated.  "How bad are losses in the Guard?"

"This month? we're below recruiting levels.  The psychological treatment programs are helping with force retention, suicide rates are about the lowest I've seen since the Jihad."

"That...that's good, that's real good. is the suspect on station yet?"

"Your mother's assassin is in custody and yes, he's here."  Pham noted.

"and his backup?" Sharon asked.  "Tell me you caught his backup."

"Didn't catch. Killed himself before we could, but OCB has traced the communications line."

"who commissioned it?" Sharon asked.

"Pretty sure the order originated somewhere in the Republic, Your Grace.  The best our analysts can estimate, the Republic found out about the renewed building program at the yards here-we've caught a few sabotuers trying to infiltrate the construction yards with Metis Coalition passports."

"Dirtyfeet?" Sharon asked.

"Yeah, Dirtyfeet with Belter credentials that didn't tie to any of the Belt families, the cred slipped through Loki and Lohengrin pretty easily, but didn't check out when our people took a look."  Pham told her, "What's the play?"

"Disappear the sabotuers, don't rock the boat." Sharon instructed, "The Republic turned turtle and any diplomatic flap's going to be a mess regardless, I'm going to wager that Stone was smarter than to give or leave that order, and same with Victor.  WE don't know who in the Republic actually gave the order, and it was probably compartmentalized so well that whoever's in charge over there now, did not and does not know it was given, so can't countermand it, doubly so with their going armadillo and cutting off external contact."

"How do you want to...'disappear' the saboteurs?"

"I don't care.  find somewhere to dump them where they can't phone home for instructions, kill 'em if you want, whatever." Sharon waved carelessly, "just keep them out of our business and out of the way.  we've got more important issues than starting or continuing a long-range war with people who've gone armadillo."

"The Assassin then?"

"find out everything he knows, and Commandant's discretion what you do with what's left, as long as he's not going to try again." Sharon stated, "I don't see any pressing national priority in escalating things while the Nation is getting its collective ass handed to it by the Clans. we have ONE war, and one front, and that front is spherical, with consequences for the entire human race.  that in mind, I see no reason to start a series of additional, optional wars while we're in an existential war in the now."

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 22 March 2020, 20:56:28 »
Sharon has her priorities right, at least...

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 23 March 2020, 11:27:31 »
Nha Tranh...

Sharon closed the commlink to the Spider Moon naval base, and turned to face her visitor.   "What have you brought for me, Benedict?"

her visitor gasped a little under the excessive gravity.  "You'll...love this..." he slid a chip into a reader.

Schematics appeared, along with text.

"Terraforming gear?"  Sharon asked.

"Yes.  systems that haven't been in production since the fall of the Star League-systems they didn't even finish developing before the Amaris Coup, Duchess."

she clasped her hands and bowed to him, "I thank 'ee, Sov Benedict."  she said, "What did you lose to bring this to Kowloon?"

"We've lost much, Duchess." he said, "Stone's suppression of the Metis Coalition, the Republic's conquest of the Belts...we lost much, but not to bring this to you.  This is our revenge.  The Library, use it!"

"I will."

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #17 on: 23 March 2020, 12:11:24 »
...a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 23 March 2020, 14:46:08 »
From the diary of Sharon Ngo, January, 3143...

There are other options.  Having examined surveys of the Clan Homeworlds, including the Pentagon cluster, I've come to the conclusion that Kerensky must have looted the prototypes for a whole second generation of terraforming equipment, and used it.

At some point, they must have forgotten they had it, or the fighting in the Pentagon must have destroyed most of it-along with the knowledge of how to repair it.   Seems to me, they took the prototypes and the operations manuals, but didn't bother with the manufacturing plans.

I've chosen a testing site in the 'gap' between Arluna and Kowloon.  a G2V star with rocky bodies, one of which is in the life-zone, but lacks the means to support complex life-a dead rock, in other words, or a proto-earth.  Coast Guard surveys suggest it's ideal for running our test batch.

The files included some advanced information, including genetic templates and designs for nanoscale assemblers needed to construct the necessary DNA for our biome project.  Grandmother would be proud, and Mom would be concerned.  I'm going forward with this with my eyes open, I am determined.   Regardless of how things shake out in this new age of wars, there needs to be some kind of reserve.  We can't maintain the quarantine indefinetly, but we can maintain it long enough to provide some kind of haven for the survivors.

I know why this information was suppressed.  While we intend this project to provide safe worlds, or to restore worlds ravaged to destruction by the endless parade of succession wars and equipment failures, it wouldn't be hard to convert this technology into a devastating weapon.

Mother would be horrified.  I'm not.  The Mongols have proven Grandmother was correct-the Clans, disabused of their false noble notions, are destructive lunatics, their culture a particularly sick form of tyranny, and the divisive nature of our Houses gives them room to fester and breed.  The Clan Occupation Zones were stripped of all useful materials in less than two generations. just as they did with their homeworlds, they are the locusts, and sooner or later, they will come for us again.

when they do, when my grandfather's people come for us, we will have to be prepared to fight to annihilation.

I will be.  My people will be, and we will triumph.

Sharon.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #19 on: 23 March 2020, 16:11:43 »
the Clans, disabused of their false noble notions, are destructive lunatics, their culture a particularly sick form of tyranny, and the divisive nature of our Houses gives them room to fester and breed.

**** yeah - that is BattleTech!  :thumbsup:
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #20 on: 23 March 2020, 17:06:44 »
Genesis torpedo?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 23 March 2020, 18:03:56 »
*snip*
I will be.  My people will be, and we will triumph.

Sharon.
I LIKE this Ngo... a LOT...  :thumbsup:

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 23 March 2020, 20:07:02 »
Genesis torpedo?

Without the Protomatter, so they aren't doing this in six minutes.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 24 March 2020, 21:01:46 »
...a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Especially in a Ngo hands
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 25 March 2020, 01:12:46 »
KCGS Edward Vanh, uninhabited system, Quarantine Zone, July, 3142...

The cutter was an old, possibly ancient design, resurrected thanks to the peculiar conditions necessary in the Quarantine.  By necessity, the jump drive shared more in common with the Aquila class, or with much later, proper, warship drives capable of a fifteen light year radius by itself.

of course, the clever boys and girls at the Boojum yards had managed to fit an LF battery capacitor to it, allowing for a second, fifteen light year jump. By even the 'modern' standards of the succession wars, the interstellar capabilities were horrifically primitive and deeply limited. 

but that was, as much as anything, an asset for the Coast Guard's mission now...or their missions, really.  The size of the Q-zone around Arluna and Kowloon was large enough to make good men nervous, and enforcement was a one-way trip for outsiders from the rest of the Inner Sphere.

It was even worse for the Clans, should they stray in here.  The Flu was a contagious death sentence, but keeping the vultures and scavengers away and limiting the spread requires a force capable of enforcing the quarantine.

That force, the Kowloon Coast Guard, needed interstellar capability within the zone, that was limited enough to be, if necessary, halted by outside naval forces-a quarantine ship could, in theory, breach deep into the surrounding realms before being caught, but a ship with a 'short legs' could not go far with an infected crew, if they could not exceed a short duration jump on their own.

Thus, while everyone lied to each other about rebuilding naval yards outside the zone, even Devlin Stone and his successors were willing to permit the survivors in the zone to police themselves with ships capable of carrying capital weapons and advanced sensors between star systems.

and the Cutters are small.

Commander Caroline Nghien-562 could muse on this, or she could focus on the mission.

"Survey?"

"No signs of current human habitation, mum."  Chief Petty Officer Jensen-Diehls Smitson-221 reported.  The Weapons System Monitor's position on a Coast Guard vessel often fills the role of Science Officer, when it isn't filled by an RTO or 'Arto' with a four year degree.  "Spectrum looks good, Mission Specialist?"

Mission Specialist is a rating for a senior Warrant officer in actual sciences.  Frank 'Frankenstein' Falcone-Hue 003's ancestors were Deserters-followers of Kerensky, his line ran through the Clans and if he weren't a superb engineer and scientist in his own right, his shipmates would never accept him thanks to that Clan Heritage-Kowloon's Falcons were dirtyfeet, and this crew were mostly Rockjacks.

"Atmosphere is majority Carbon Dioxide and Nitrous Oxide, there's an acidic ocean, concentrated greenhouse gasses, but the cover is thin enough and the planet's distant enough that while the core is active, it's not Venus active, I think this one's going to be a good choice for the test, Mum."

"Finish compiling your reports, this is the fourth probable candidate in as many months"  Caroline said, "Gonna be sad when this work is done though-this has been the best six months in the last ten years, and I don't look forward to Q-pat or Cloud SAR work again."

"Mum, I'm picking up something."  Vien Van Trau was the other dirtyfoot on the command deck, a fisherman's son from New Saigon, he'd worked his way from a River Patrol to Deep Ocean in the Submarine service, out into the Black, an E-6 NCO and thus, Radioman First Class who probably should have been frocked to warrant-and would have been, had he so desired. 

"What have you got?"

"Wireless band pulses, one...three...five....seven...eleven...thirteen...Seventeen...prime numbers, Mum." 

"If there's a transmitter in the system we can't use it!" Falcone insisted.

"I know.  Can you isolate a location? nobody should be here, nobody should even by flying here." Caroline ordered.

"big ears deploying..."  two shuttle craft with tuned recievers-used for triangulating signals during search and rescue, deployed, linking their direction finders to the Cutter's main array in order to seek out the signal and create a 'pyramidal' position fix.

"Got it.  Fourth planet, right behind our candidate."

"What's the read on planet Four?"

"big Mars, mum, there could be an illegal settlement there-"

"reel the boats in, we're going to need to seek this out."
« Last Edit: 13 April 2020, 21:48:35 by Cannonshop »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 25 March 2020, 03:17:43 »
I wonder who that could be...  ^-^

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 26 March 2020, 02:21:26 »
Sander-Witherspoon Trung pinnace Evaline, Rockpile belt, Arluna system...

"Haws essays ping return aye?"  Kiel Witherspoon asked.

"Biggun, maybe big as the Sithers strike last century out th' Booh-jam, returnin' plat, sillicah, Ho-two-etch and Gey, spect'ra off'n th' Scale."  Eliza Witherspoon answered.  "Big strike alrighty, could be fortunes here right enough.  Trung, what's you gon' buy with your shares?"

Dean Trung shook his head, "I am not counting my Kroner yet, we still have to bag and crack that rock before we can start talking how rich we're going to get."

"Oh Frowny!"

"Sorry, to vent your party, Eliza, but I'm not sure the capture nets' going to hold, we might need to bring in a partner to handle this one."  He finished adjusting their angle, and watched the scopes.  "If that happens, we might have to fight to keep the claim, and that's assuming the lidar and radar returns actually resemble what we're going to find when we drill into it for the charges."

"Murphyist!"

"Realist.  You two ready make your walk, because I've matched velocity and vector and it's only a hundred meters out."

"Rahjah det. airlock closing now."

the outer door opened, and they got their first in-person look.

"Mierda!! close the hatch!"

the object lit up.

and then, it lit the pinnace up. 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #27 on: 26 March 2020, 02:45:18 »
In the ARLUNA system??  That's not good...  :-\

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #28 on: 26 March 2020, 14:27:10 »
anyone else finding it difficult to figure out which continuity this story belongs to? standard loonieverse or huntedtribes?

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #29 on: 26 March 2020, 15:59:30 »
I would say standardwith the Arluna Flu. In this 'Verse, no loonie got to Circe alive.