Author Topic: Novels  (Read 15157 times)

Frank

• Master Sergeant
  • The True Holders Of Kerensky's Legecy
Novels
« on: 26 January 2011, 02:48:35 »
What is the status of the various CBT Novels, Dark Age Novels. Etc.?

Will Bonfire of Worlds finally go into print?

Thank You for any Answers. :) :)

Wolf Lancer 4

• CSO Pack Mule
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Home of hand built Timber Wolves.
Re: Novels
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2011, 03:04:15 »
I think the last status on them that I heard was "they will come out eventually."
From a 'Mech grave he rose, snarling
Ready to do battle for his vanquished Clan
Stalking the Falcon Khans, who would remake us
His actions, the Wolf incarnate
  -The Remembrance(Clan Wolf), Passage 412, Verse 10, Lines 9-12

Mindwiper

• Corporal
    • German Clan Wolf
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2011, 05:16:45 »
After "Bonfire of Worlds" as Ebook "Shadows of Faith" would be really nice. Don't understand the delay in selling it as epub! I thought most of the storie has already been written some years ago and already been published  as the most famous "Shadows of Faith" Battlecorps series.

Mindi needs new fiction (not the short story snippets).

GBL

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2011, 05:18:59 »
I think the only thing that the Jihad Era is missing is print novels. The sourcebooks are great, but there is nothing i enjoy more when getting in the mindset for a particular BT Era than reading the associated novels.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2011, 05:37:05 »
If you want any official answer to this question, you should ask it here.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Mindwiper

• Corporal
    • German Clan Wolf
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2011, 05:40:09 »
 ;) and we all know the standardanswer to this kind of productrelated question.  :)

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2011, 05:43:30 »
Yes, we do. ;)
But you have a better chance of getting an answer at all, than you have here. None of the users actually knows what's going on there, only the lead designers know.
Of course you can discuss it here, but you won't get any official response. ;)

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
  • My blood runs the color of jade.
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2011, 05:58:17 »
;) and we all know the standardanswer to this kind of productrelated question.  :)
BT novels were handled differently back in the FASA era since FASA didn't actually publish the novels.  ROC did.  Thus, they weren't considered "FASA products."

However, since CGL is publishing them through their Catalyst Press subsidiary, then I'm guessing the "standard product-related answer" applies here :'(

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Twitter: @JoeChummer
Author Page
Official Website

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
  • Your friendly neighborhood Periphery pirate!
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2011, 06:19:58 »
The lack of print novels hurts.

Actually, the lack of new PDF novels hurts, too. Can you even buy A Bonfire of Worlds yet as an e-novel?

Last I heard it was diced up and smeared all over BattleCorps.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2011, 06:24:20 »
Bonfire of Worlds has been out as an E-Pub novel for a long time now, along with many other BT novels

http://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=27_221

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
  • Your friendly neighborhood Periphery pirate!
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2011, 06:28:27 »
Well... shows how much attention I've been paying. :D

Might have to pick that up, then.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2011, 06:30:16 »
Happens. That's what the forums are for :)

Mindwiper

• Corporal
    • German Clan Wolf
« Reply #12 on: 26 January 2011, 06:41:25 »
Uh, Clanfounder 3 would be nice too!

"A Bonfire of Worlds" is the newest epub, quiaff?...not counting reprint of the old fiction and BC Anthology II

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #13 on: 26 January 2011, 06:42:50 »

"A Bonfire of Worlds" is the newest epub, quiaff?...not counting reprint of the old fiction and BC Anthology II

If you don't count BCA II and old fiction reprints, then yes.

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #14 on: 26 January 2011, 06:44:58 »
Was Betrayal of Ideals considered Clanfounder/Clangrunder 2?

When does Clanfounder 3 take place?

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Author Page
Official Website

Mindwiper

• Corporal
    • German Clan Wolf
« Reply #15 on: 26 January 2011, 07:04:11 »
Aff! I think it was supposed to take place after Clanfounder 2 and this ended with the founding of the Clans and the preparations for returning into the Pentagonworlds. Considering the timejumps of Clanfounder 1 and 2 it would have possibly ended with the end of Operation Klondike. In my opinion Andery's death would have been an important part. Not that I liked that whiny character!

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #16 on: 26 January 2011, 07:48:32 »
Yeah, Founding of the Clans/ClanGrunder 2 has yet to be released in English.  and Godsdamnit, Lorcan want!
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #17 on: 26 January 2011, 09:01:32 »
Doh. I keep forgetting that Betrayal of Ideals was a Blaine Lee Pardoe book and not a Clangrunder book... Nevermind.

Author Page
Official Website

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #18 on: 26 January 2011, 10:25:58 »
After "Bonfire of Worlds" as Ebook "Shadows of Faith" would be really nice. Don't understand the delay in selling it as epub! I thought most of the storie has already been written some years ago and already been published  as the most famous "Shadows of Faith" Battlecorps series.

Nope, only the first "book" (i.e., the prologue and chapters 1-8) of SoF has been published on BattleCorps.

When does Clanfounder 3 take place?

Randall posted this either here or on BattleCorps several years ago when asked about the trilogy.

Fall From Glory
Beginning: November 5, 2784 (New Samarkand Exodus)
Ending: February 2802 (Eden Exodus)
Years Elapsed: 18 years

Visions of Rebirth
Beginning: June 8, 2802 (Exodus landfall on Strana Mechty
Ending: June 9, 2815 (Nicholas declaires himself ilKhan)
Years Elapsed: 13 years

Forging of Blood
Beginning: End of 2815
Ending: 26 May 2822 (Andery dies; end of Operation Klondike)
Years Elapsed: 7 years

Azeroth

• Corporal
« Reply #19 on: 26 January 2011, 10:41:17 »
Has anyone heard any plans to have novels produced that would take place after Endgame?  Or at least before dark age (outside of the Mechwarrior novels) that would use the characters that were in the original run of books?

Mindwiper

• Corporal
    • German Clan Wolf
« Reply #20 on: 26 January 2011, 11:14:33 »
Has anyone heard any plans to have novels produced that would take place after Endgame?  Or at least before dark age (outside of the Mechwarrior novels) that would use the characters that were in the original run of books?

The first one was/is supposed to be "Shadows of Faith"  :o

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 26 January 2011, 11:33:01 »
Now here's a question. is Battlecorps currently, or in the future (planning to) releasing Battlecorps material in ebook format rather than pdf? as a kindle owner, being able to read it on my kindle (first gen, no pdf) rather than my PC, would be a big plus.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #22 on: 26 January 2011, 11:35:28 »
Now here's a question. is Battlecorps currently, or in the future (planning to) releasing Battlecorps material in ebook format rather than pdf? as a kindle owner, being able to read it on my kindle (first gen, no pdf) rather than my PC, would be a big plus.

They recently released Battlecorps Anthology II in E-Pub format

J_Schmetzer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 26 January 2011, 12:40:37 »

It is being considered, yes.  As to whether or not it will be implemented, I cannot give an answer one way or another, or any idea of if or when.  The idea is still in the feasibility stage.
I sometimes write things. Sometimes they're spelled right. Not often.

My Top 10 BattleTech Novels
Advice on Finding Shrapnel Story Ideas
How to Write for Sourcebooks

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #24 on: 26 January 2011, 13:06:21 »

get Randall to not be busy any more and he might get around to writing it! :o
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 26 January 2011, 19:04:09 »
Are the German novels considered canon?  What ones haven't been translated yet and what were they about? 

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #26 on: 26 January 2011, 19:13:14 »
Are the German novels considered canon?

In Ungnade and the two Clangründer novels (sort of) are. The former was serialized at BattleCorps with some corrections as "Fall From Grace". The first of the Clangründer books was serialized at BC as "Fall From Glory" though I can't recall if there were any corrections incorporated or not. It's the corrections bit that makes me put that "sort of" in.

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 26 January 2011, 19:20:24 »

In Ungnade and the two Clangründer novels (sort of) are. The former was serialized at BattleCorps with some corrections as "Fall From Grace". The first of the Clangründer books was serialized at BC as "Fall From Glory" though I can't recall if there were any corrections incorporated or not. It's the corrections bit that makes me put that "sort of" in.
[/quote]

Cool.  I read that one, really enjoyed it.  Wish the others would get translated. 

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #28 on: 26 January 2011, 19:25:12 »
They don't need to be translated; they were originally written in English. However, from what I understand, there's just too many pots on the stove right now to go through the remaining novel(s) and make the needed corrections. I'd say they're a "very probable" but with no time frame.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Nightwinder

• Corporal
« Reply #29 on: 27 January 2011, 16:55:55 »
Lifehacker has an article HERE on how to convert pdf to epub, you can probably dig up a few more with a quicker google search (And work's kinda weird about what it sites you can access, so I can't check how easy this one is to do)

And regarding Bonfire of Worlds, it's cheaper to buy the Epub from the Battleshop than the component chapters from the Battlecorps backlog for anyone considering both options.

J_Schmetzer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #30 on: 27 January 2011, 20:50:35 »
Lifehacker has an article HERE on how to convert pdf to epub, you can probably dig up a few more with a quicker google search (And work's kinda weird about what it sites you can access, so I can't check how easy this one is to do)

Having tested Calibre (admittedly only for a short while) while it does render a functional epub, it's quite disorganized.
I sometimes write things. Sometimes they're spelled right. Not often.

My Top 10 BattleTech Novels
Advice on Finding Shrapnel Story Ideas
How to Write for Sourcebooks

Traecer Revenant

• Master Sergeant
  • Speak softly & Carry a Large Gauss Rifle
« Reply #31 on: 27 January 2011, 21:27:54 »
Having tested Calibre (admittedly only for a short while) while it does render a functional epub, it's quite disorganized.
Calibre's (or indeed, any app's) conversion ability with PDFs is largely dependent on the PDF file you're trying to convert.  PDFs are not nearly as limited structurally as formats like EPUB, and they are harder to parse as a result.  PDFs that contain mostly plain text with no special layout or PDFs that have been tagged for reflow capability should be able to be converted to other formats with good results.  Untagged PDFs, graphic-intensive PDFs, and PDFs with complicated layout structure (read: gaming PDFs!) tend to turn into a mess when converted.  Thus, the results of any PDF conversion can vary depending on the how the PDF was made.
« Last Edit: 27 January 2011, 21:36:42 by Traecer Revenant »

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #32 on: 27 January 2011, 21:34:16 »
Personally I convert with mobipocket creator to get html\mobi. I have a routine to run to clean it up and it fixes the majority of the issues.

Interestingly enough, I think I can note when an editor changes things. Portions of the book just convert differently.

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 27 January 2011, 22:40:38 »
By the way, what is Shadows of Faith about? Is it the start of the Jihad and when will we get novels dealing with that event?
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

Face

• Corporal
« Reply #34 on: 27 January 2011, 23:28:46 »
Personally I convert with mobipocket creator to get html\mobi. I have a routine to run to clean it up and it fixes the majority of the issues.

Interestingly enough, I think I can note when an editor changes things. Portions of the book just convert differently.

Would you mind outlining that process over in this thread? I am trying to get info on eReaders collected and a good workflow would be nice to add.
Quote from: Darzoni
A Mad Cat, honey, is what happens when a Marauder and Catapult love each other very much.

Traecer Revenant

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: 27 January 2011, 23:37:35 »

Entirely probable.  There will probably be extra formatting codes or other odd layout things where editing is done.  The same type of problem crops up when trying to convert a heavily edited Microsoft Word document to HTML format.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #36 on: 28 January 2011, 02:29:31 »
By the way, what is Shadows of Faith about? Is it the start of the Jihad and when will we get novels dealing with that event?

Yeah, the chunk of it released on BattleCorps is the lead-up to the final Whitting Conference

GBL

• Sergeant
« Reply #37 on: 28 January 2011, 03:00:52 »
IIRC epub is essentially basic HTML or XML in a zip file or similar wrapper, if you wanted to you could hand edit any parts of it that you dont want, like images or formatting, in notepad.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #38 on: 28 January 2011, 08:55:31 »
Would you mind outlining that process over in this thread? I am trying to get info on eReaders collected and a good workflow would be nice to add.

I'm swamped right now but when I convert the next book, I'll document what I do and then post it. (unless I'm asked to not do that)

Traecer Revenant

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: 28 January 2011, 09:40:30 »
Further question:  what part of Shadows of Faith is not published in the Dawn of the Jihad/Blake Ascending?  I thought most of SoF was in the opening pages of DotJ, in the section titled (appropriately enough) "Shadows of Faith."

RAE

• Sergeant
  • Capellan Confederation: Deadly Stylish
« Reply #40 on: 28 January 2011, 09:53:46 »
Further question:  what part of Shadows of Faith is not published in the Dawn of the Jihad/Blake Ascending?  I thought most of SoF was in the opening pages of DotJ, in the section titled (appropriately enough) "Shadows of Faith."
Aside from the Blakist and Dragoon scenes in the DotJ, there are several more chapters with the Dragoons and devastation on Outreach, Thomas Marik and William Blane talking about the Master and his plans, and Victor Steiner-Davion & Co. during a ball on Arc-Royal.

"Everything falls if it gets hit hard enough. I'll just have to make sure it don't get up again"
- Marcus Barton, Colonel, 2nd MAC

Thoth

• Corporal
« Reply #41 on: 28 January 2011, 10:26:01 »
I must admit that I miss the novels a lot.

I am sure that there will be one or two released someday. We can hope!

Realistically though, it makes more fiscal sense to just publish them online.

Star Colonel Thoth Kerensky, Clan Wolf

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #42 on: 28 January 2011, 17:05:47 »
I picked up First Strike today, and I have to say there's something right about having hardcopy BattleTech fiction.