Author Topic: Taking a stand  (Read 4555 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Taking a stand
« on: 16 September 2019, 13:38:54 »
Thermopylae, the Alamo, Stalingrad, Wake Island, Bastogne . . . all are places known for the defenders taking a stand which holds back a rolling and successful offensive for a time.  A desperate tactical action that has a impact on the over all war.

We have some of these in BT, the most famous of course being the grinder on Tukayyid though due to the nature of the bidding among the Clans its not quite the same were placed to block an enemy's advance.

What are some other lesser known defensive stands that had a impact out of proportion to the number of defenders involved?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Doom

• Master Sergeant
Re: Taking a stand
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2019, 13:58:15 »
Kai versus the Falcon Guards on Twycross comes to mind, although it's not quite 'lesser-known'.

Ian Davion taking the rear guard position against the Sword of Light, and only falling to Yorinaga, also comes to mind.

The Dragoons against the Combine on Misery and throughout the Fourth Succession War changed the course of that conflict by inflicting damage far out of proportion to their numbers against the Dragon.

The Gray Death Legion against the Falcons on Pandora.

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2019, 14:16:17 »
Royal Black Watch?

Aiden Pryde

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2019, 15:22:35 »
GDL holding out against the 12th Atrean Dragoons on Helm just long enough to copy the memory core (and incidentally, to clear their name).
That one stand seriously altered history.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2019, 16:09:46 »
*snip*
The Dragoons against the Combine on Misery and throughout the Fourth Succession War changed the course of that conflict by inflicting damage far out of proportion to their numbers against the Dragon.
*snip*
Crossing is the epitome of that...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2019, 17:06:38 »
GDL holding out against the 12th Atrean Dragoons on Helm just long enough to copy the memory core (and incidentally, to clear their name).
That one stand seriously altered history.

Speaking of redirecting history, Ian Davion buying the farm while acting as a one man wall on Mallory’s World set a few things in motion

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Doom

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2019, 17:37:53 »
Speaking of redirecting history, Ian Davion buying the farm while acting as a one man wall on Mallory’s World set a few things in motion

That kind of sounds familiar. Now where might I have heard that before...

Ian Davion taking the rear guard position against the Sword of Light, and only falling to Yorinaga, also comes to mind.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2019, 17:47:15 »
bold of you to assume i can read

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Doom

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 16 September 2019, 17:58:25 »
It would seem to be self-evident, given you would have had to do so in order to make that reply.  :)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #9 on: 16 September 2019, 18:07:34 »
I’m actually a carefully constructed algorithm built from actual dialogues between fools, clowns, al bundy sound boards and congressional hearings

massey

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 16 September 2019, 18:27:50 »
Morgan Kell

Onion2112

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 16 September 2019, 21:17:30 »
1st Chisholm’s Raiders RCT on Deshler in the 4SW - they faced off against 2 DCMS mech commands (I think) with about 20 supporting Regts and held up the DCMS invasion timetable

Another is the 42nd Avalon Hussars LCT on Helen in the dark age against 2 DCMS ghost Regts

Real life ones (and as an Australian)  I think the Defense of Tobruk (by mostly Commonwealth troops) against the (at that stage) unbeaten Afrika Korps and Italian Army deserves a mention.

Then again as something rarely mentioned was the WW2 last stand in Timor by Sparrow Force (principally it’s Commando Company)  - which held up around 12,000 Japanese for 12 months (42-43)

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 16 September 2019, 21:38:53 »
Hanse Davion at the NAIS versus fake Death Commandos. Morgan Kell taunting the Clans. Aidan Pryde versus Comguard.

Kai Allard Liao versus Teal Turkeys disqualified for being a giant trap, not a stand.

Sharkapult

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 17 September 2019, 04:42:14 »
WoR: Wolves defending Kerensky's genes comes to mind.

RanFelsnerAFFS

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 17 September 2019, 10:00:09 »
First Battle of Tikonov in the Second Succession War comes to mind

Ogra_Chief

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 17 September 2019, 13:15:49 »
Crossing is the epitome of that...

Yes, there was my opinion of the Dragoons before the Wolf Dragoon's sourcebook, then after. Great story.

Hanse Davion at the NAIS versus fake Death Commandos. Morgan Kell taunting the Clans. Aidan Pryde versus Comguard.

Kai Allard Liao versus Teal Turkeys disqualified for being a giant trap, not a stand.

Hanse Davion and the walking wounded of Team Banzai at NAIS; as well as the unheralded security detail holding in the complex below against the 'darkness of ignorance' that was ComStar. Probably its' greatest defeat, allowing for the emergence of a knowledge and technological renaissance.

Everyone has already mentioned my would be contributions. Does the Baron of Von Strang against the Clans count?
BattleTech @CGL_BattleTech · Jul 17
Harmony Gold no longer has any say in our decisions, however, the original mechs have been redesigned enough to not cause problems.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #16 on: 17 September 2019, 13:18:41 »

A lot of the Umpteenth Battles of Hesperus probably qualify.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #17 on: 17 September 2019, 14:18:05 »
Real life ones (and as an Australian)  I think the Defense of Tobruk (by mostly Commonwealth troops) against the (at that stage) unbeaten Afrika Korps and Italian Army deserves a mention.

Thanks for mentioning this, I could not even search it b/c I kept thinking of Gallipoli which was the wrong war.

Might have to put a poll together from the answers given just to see what folks think.  Thanks for the 2SW mention, sort of what I was looking for in the throw away lines of original TRO3025 fluff.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

RanFelsnerAFFS

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 17 September 2019, 16:37:02 »
The 2SW Tikonov mention is something i will never forget from the old House Davion book , due to the fact that the unsuccesful General AFFS Greer was "rewarded" with KP duty on New Syrtis for his performance

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 17 September 2019, 17:38:11 »
*snip*
*snip*
If real life battles on are on the table, Long Tan has GOT to be there...

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 17 September 2019, 18:05:03 »
Pretty much every GDL battle but especially Helm and the battle of Glengarry in "Day of Heroes". As others have stated, Wolf's Dragoons vs House Kurita in the 4th War, the essentially held the entire Davion border alone, front Davion troops to attack the CapCon. Specifically the final battle on Crossing, when barely a regiment of Dragoons, reinforced by a Davion unit, hold against 4+ regiments of House Kurita forces, forcing them off planet when Zeta Battalion arrived to save the Dragoons. As an article in "Battletechnology" put it, decimated is when you lose 1 in 10 of your soldiers, what do you call it when you lose nearly 9 in 10?
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 17 September 2019, 18:13:12 »
Personally, I'd call that "annihilated"...

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 17 September 2019, 19:07:12 »
Personally, I'd call that "annihilated"...

Agreed. I really enjoyed how Battletechnology would try to the into the major happenings, the article about the Dragoons was one example.

Vandervecken

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 18 September 2019, 12:58:55 »
Nobody's mentioned Luthien 3052 yet?

Ogra_Chief

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #24 on: 18 September 2019, 19:14:37 »
Nobody's mentioned Luthien 3052 yet?

Probably qualifies given the stakes, but when you have half-a-dozen Elite to Super-Elite formations and a good chunk of a Clan Touman running around... Just feels more like an all-star game then a one-and-done face-off. Or, maybe that's just me.
« Last Edit: 18 September 2019, 19:16:22 by Ogra_Chief »
BattleTech @CGL_BattleTech · Jul 17
Harmony Gold no longer has any say in our decisions, however, the original mechs have been redesigned enough to not cause problems.

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 18 September 2019, 20:24:04 »
Probably qualifies given the stakes, but when you have half-a-dozen Elite to Super-Elite formations and a good chunk of a Clan Touman running around... Just feels more like an all-star game then a one-and-done face-off. Or, maybe that's just me.

I'm fairly certain that the Inner Sphere had superior numbers in that fight, though I'd have to pull out the book again to verify that. Definitely doesn't fit, imho.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #26 on: 18 September 2019, 20:50:52 »
Prior to the Great Refusal, I don't think there was a single major battle against the Clans where the Inner Sphere won and didn't have superior forces.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

RanFelsnerAFFS

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 19 September 2019, 04:02:12 »
What are some other lesser known defensive stands that had a impact out of proportion to the number of defenders involved?

I think, while still great Battles most of the examples tossed around here are not of the "lesser known" type. You guys have been listing mainly confrontations we have seen laid out in detail in the spine novels.

As Colt mentioned, I think there are a lot more fights only mentioned in one sentence throughout all of the books. Those examples would be nice to see as honorable mentions here ;)

AldanFerrox

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 19 September 2019, 04:48:17 »
Kai Allard-Liao's last stand against the Death Commandos during the Capellan Crusaders in 3113. He cut down his enemies left and right before a lucky missile hit to the head of his mech killed him.
« Last Edit: 20 September 2019, 05:52:20 by AldanFerrox »
Only in death duty ends

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #29 on: 19 September 2019, 07:05:00 »
Suicide nuke run by Skye militia in hydrofoils.  Took out a major dam and drowned the Combine invasion force, preventing the DCMS from reaching the planetary capital.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Register