Author Topic: Fate of Marik Militia in Dark Age  (Read 3153 times)

Geont

• Master Sergeant
Fate of Marik Militia in Dark Age
« on: 20 September 2019, 07:06:40 »
I have tried to find information about Marik Militia units that survived Jihad but was unable to find any more information if some of these units are active as Marik Militia (I know that some of them were absorbed by emerged states after the collapse of FWL or went under a new name). FM 3145 gives me the feeling that there aren't any Marik Militia units in Dark Age.
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Fate of Marik Militia in Dark Age
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2019, 08:09:42 »
I have tried to find information about Marik Militia units that survived Jihad but was unable to find any more information if some of these units are active as Marik Militia (I know that some of them were absorbed by emerged states after the collapse of FWL or went under a new name). FM 3145 gives me the feeling that there aren't any Marik Militia units in Dark Age.
Better source of surviving units can be found in the FM: 3085.  They give you better snap shot on the surviving named Militia Units.  Such as the units that became the independent Marik Protectors.  Alot of the Militia units i found went to the (now) Marik-Steward Commonwealth which was sundered by Wolf Empire by 3039. These included the 2nd Marik Militia, 25th Marik Militia, the 40th Marik Militia.   

The 4th and 9th Marik Militia was absorbed by the Rim Commonality Guard, but 9th didn't until 3103.  So Third & Fourth Rim Commonality Guards formed from the 4th Militia, while the 9th became the 5th & 6th.

The Duchy of Tamarind-Abbey brought in the 13th, 31st, 34th, and 37th Marik Militias.

Some of the Marik Protectors were formed by the 10th and 18th Marik Militias.

Aside from thoses, there not much info aside ones that joined the Republic. Those units were added into the blender that created triad of three big brigades.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2019, 11:30:18 »
Thought the Regulans took in some that had sided with the Blakists initially- or were those just Legionnaire units?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2019, 11:54:30 »
Better source of surviving units can be found in the FM: 3085.  They give you better snap shot on the surviving named Militia Units.  Such as the units that became the independent Marik Protectors.  Alot of the Militia units i found went to the (now) Marik-Steward Commonwealth which was sundered by Wolf Empire by 3039. These included the 2nd Marik Militia, 25th Marik Militia, the 40th Marik Militia.   

The 4th and 9th Marik Militia was absorbed by the Rim Commonality Guard, but 9th didn't until 3103.  So Third & Fourth Rim Commonality Guards formed from the 4th Militia, while the 9th became the 5th & 6th.

The Duchy of Tamarind-Abbey brought in the 13th, 31st, 34th, and 37th Marik Militias.

Some of the Marik Protectors were formed by the 10th and 18th Marik Militias.

Aside from thoses, there not much info aside ones that joined the Republic. Those units were added into the blender that created triad of three big brigades.

so short version, when the FWL broke up into a bunch more independent squabbling states than usual, the Marik Militia units polarized and joined the various factions. pretty much what you'd expect.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2019, 12:32:39 »
Thought the Regulans took in some that had sided with the Blakists initially- or were those just Legionnaire units?
it was a Legionnaire unit, one of the ones that sided with the WoB.  Regulars needed more troops to Regulus took chance on them.   

What i posted was the ones i could fine.  Only one i didn't post were ones that got merged into the Republic's military.
« Last Edit: 23 September 2019, 10:04:42 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2019, 12:42:22 »
Some might have also become true mercs rather than effective mercs like the Protectors.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2019, 15:41:06 »
Some might have also become true mercs rather than effective mercs like the Protectors.
Their SORT-OF mercs.  They're more Non-Profit type, need money keep operating. However, they tend to work for less.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2019, 15:52:24 »
They also do not go outside of the former League and IIRC only take the defensive side in inter-League conflicts.
Colt Ward

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 23 September 2019, 06:37:43 »
Thank you all for the information about them. Based on this I reckon that in Dark Age, more precisely in 3145, there isn't a unit that still uses the original paint scheme of MM. Although FM 3145 mentions that Marik Protectors use MM insignia and paint scheme but that contradicts information from FM 3085 where Marik Protectors use charcoal grey. What is the correct paint scheme for them? Did they change it back to MM paint scheme due reborn of FWL?

Fan of FWL

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #9 on: 23 September 2019, 09:08:47 »
Check out, Spotlight on Marik Protectors . . . or just last year's WWE that had the information in it.  The Marik Protectors still wear the Marik Militia uniform, still uses the Anvil & Hammer crest of the 10th, but the paint scheme has abandoned the purple- instead using a charcoal gray where it used to be purple and steel piping instead of the red accents.  Note this is for the 1st, the others may do something different.
Colt Ward

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: 24 September 2019, 12:00:26 »
FM:3145, p.114: "The Protectors have taken to using the old Marik Militia brigade insignia and paint scheme."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #11 on: 24 September 2019, 12:06:18 »
Sure, but when?  IMO it would like to when Jessica sat down with everyone on Atreus to hold hands.  Heck, I thought one of the TRO3145/50 bits talked about her gov trying to reach out to them.

But the Spotlight is a more recent source and covers post-Jihad up until they 'take' the old symbols back.
Colt Ward

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #12 on: 24 September 2019, 20:00:42 »
It was deemed by Jessica Marik more politically expedient to maintain the provincial forces when the Free Worlds League reformed then to try and blend them into a Marik Militia. In exchange they gained the Covenant Guard and Clan Protectorate, so fair trade I think.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #13 on: 25 September 2019, 07:53:47 »
She also gained rather large Brigade of the Regulus Hussars. 

I REALLY did like how they were setup, as Battalion size Mech forces, yet there was alot of them allowing for alot flexiabity.  I know there was couple regimental size ones out there, but i think if they can wrangle those troops in line with league, they have alot potential.

Wendelsnatch

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: 01 October 2019, 10:14:42 »
I think my biggest questions revolve around the Militia units listed as destroyed in FM 3085 (1st, 5th, 6th, 13th, 15th, 23rd).  I have found surprisingly little information on these units.  What was the ultimate disposition of these destroyed units?  In the case of the 5th, the heavily damaged command dissolved and scattered to former League states in company and lance sized groups.

The 1st was heavily damaged by WoB on Ohrensen, but no further info I could find.  Did survivors get folded into Oriente, RotS, scatter?

6th was destroyed by Lryans with “few survivors”.  Any likely got folded into Tamarind-Abbey.

15th has almost no info I can find outside of FM updates that indicate that some/most would defect to WoB in efforts to secure Berenson.  Not sure what happened after.  Anyone?

23rd seems to have disappeared.  Last listed as on Keystone as of 3067, the listed as destroyed in FM 3085.  No clue where/how/why.

Lastly is the 13th which has conflicting info.  On one hand info says they joined the WoB and would have been destroyed in the 2nd assault on Chara.  On the other hand, the 13th seemed to be in Tamarind-Abbey.  How can they be in 2 places at once?  Ideas?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #15 on: 01 October 2019, 10:40:45 »
Obj-FWL says under the Keystone/Earthwerks-FWL entry says it was a last major industrial site outside Terra.  My guess would be the unit was co-opted and the Blakists & their supporters wiped out any League loyalists to give the planet's factories (at least Battlemaster, Jackal, Griffin, T-Bolt, and Pegasus hovertank + whatever) to the Blakist army.

Might cross check what Blakist unit died on Keystone when the planet was reclaimed, they might have some info about what happened to the 23rd.
Colt Ward

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 01 October 2019, 10:41:26 »
Alot of the Militia units i found went to the (now) Marik-Steward Commonwealth which was sundered by Wolf Empire by 3039.

The Commonwealth might have survived if not for those pesky time-traveling Wolves!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #17 on: 01 October 2019, 10:45:28 »
hmm, time traveling portal that lets the Wolf Empire pour its forces into the League in 3039 while the FedCom & Dracs are shooting each other . . . race for Terra then send a message to the 18 Clans, and really piss off Star Colonel Leo Showers . . . let Alaric Ward meet 10 year old Vlad?

It would be a time-tripping story worthy of Star Trek!
Colt Ward

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #18 on: 01 October 2019, 15:21:31 »
Oops, i made a typo.  :P

Speaking of fate of the Operation Hammerfall, i finally got copy of Bonfire of Worlds on my phone (google books).
Having read it first time, it give you a healthy respect to Alaric, who seems to be emotionally challenged due to his mother, Conservative Wolf Warriors not liking what Alaric is and his successes.  Like creaming Thaddeus Marik on New Olympus.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #19 on: 01 October 2019, 15:48:04 »
hmm, time traveling portal that lets the Wolf Empire pour its forces into the League in 3039 while the FedCom & Dracs are shooting each other . . . race for Terra then send a message to the 17 Clans, and really piss off Star Colonel Leo Showers . . . let Alaric Ward meet 10 year old Vlad?

It would be a time-tripping story worthy of Star Trek!
Derp...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #20 on: 01 October 2019, 16:26:04 »
Ha, I was just thinking the Burrocks would not have been wiped, so was going +1 from that . . . forgot the Mongoose
Colt Ward

Wendelsnatch

• Corporal
« Reply #21 on: 01 October 2019, 20:02:21 »
After doing more research on the "destroyed" units here is what I came up with
13th Militia- Some of this is conjecture, but here goes.  Per Starcorps Doss, in 3076 the 13th was still on Irian, assisting in training the Protectorate Militia but seeming to keep a low profile.  By 3077 the unit was on Chara as part of the WoB defenders where they bloodied the WiE force pretty good in the first Coalition assault.  With the 2nd Coalition assault resorting to orbital bombardment, most of the Blakist forces retreated off planet or surrendered.  I speculate that they used this opportunity to shake the yoke of WoB (they did not seem to be very enthusiastic collaborators to start with) and there is a line in FR: FWL that indicates they were part of Devlin Stones Coalition, but were recalled to Tamarind-Abbey in 3079 by Photon Brett-Marik.  Later to become part of the 1st Tamarind Regulars.
15th Militia- Per Starcorps Doss, a mini-civil war erupted on Berenson when pro-Blake elements defected to the WoB.  The pro-FWL survivors joined Alys Rousset-Marik’s resistance, likely being folded into the 20th Militia which in turn became part of the RotS.
23rd Militia- I honestly still got nothing.  By 3076 they were still around as Starcorps Doss. states that of all the Marik Militia formations only the 6th had been destroyed up until that point.  What I did find out is that the WoB 27th Division was moved to Keystone in late 3069/early 3070.  The 27th also appears to have violently put down a strike from workers at the EW plant in 3073.  So the big question is were was the 23rd Militia during this?  Did they stand by while WoB shot protesters?  Had they already moved off planet to who knows where?  All we know is the 23rd was on Keystone in 3067, was still around in 3076 (maybe still on Keystone but unconfirmed), and listed as destroyed by 3085. 

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #22 on: 02 October 2019, 14:17:34 »
Check out, Spotlight on Marik Protectors . . . or just last year's WWE that had the information in it.  The Marik Protectors still wear the Marik Militia uniform, still uses the Anvil & Hammer crest of the 10th, but the paint scheme has abandoned the purple- instead using a charcoal gray where it used to be purple and steel piping instead of the red accents.  Note this is for the 1st, the others may do something different.
That was someone slipping a fast one past. It should have been purple.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #23 on: 02 October 2019, 14:20:58 »
Oh?  I actually like the idea they abandoned the 'purple' -an ancient symbol of royalty- with the break up of the League but take it up once again with the Restoration of the (Halas-)Mariks and the League.  When it was pointed out, I thought was was to be inferred . . .
Colt Ward

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 03 October 2019, 07:54:47 »
That was someone slipping a fast one past. It should have been purple.
That's weird to me. FM3085 says that First Marik Protectors has a charcoal grey with steel highlights (corresponds with Spotlight on FMP). And based on your information on Spotlight they are in 3082 or 3085 back to MM paint scheme (purple with blue (right) and red(left) highlights)? I am ok with them to go back to MM paints after the restoration of FWL. But to have them use a different paint scheme only for a few years is IMHO weird. Or did I misunderstood your statement?

Fan of FWL

Register