Author Topic: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion 5, Green Eyeshade Edition  (Read 151150 times)

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
Re: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion 5, Green Eyeshade Edition
« Reply #540 on: 09 January 2020, 21:02:07 »
Cool, that means that for the stuff I absolutely want, I technically don't need to go back in until the manager is reopened for Wave 2.

Thanks!

They're gonna do that? Cool -- I must have missed that announcement. :)

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #541 on: 10 January 2020, 15:26:03 »
They're gonna do that? Cool -- I must have missed that announcement. :)

Reopening after Wave 1 has shipped was their plan and Talon confirmed it a few updates ago. There could, theoretically, still be problems preventing them from doing so, but they are currently planing to reopen.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #542 on: 10 January 2020, 15:50:24 »
Reopening after Wave 1 has shipped was their plan and Talon confirmed it a few updates ago. There could, theoretically, still be problems preventing them from doing so, but they are currently planing to reopen.

Not questioning it at all -- I was just remarking that that detail went in one ear, rattled through the empty space a within for a little while and out the other ear. Perception was always my dump stat... ;D

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #543 on: 10 January 2020, 19:11:40 »
There is so much information going through this KS ... There is no shame in missing a few details.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Joewrightgm

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #544 on: 11 January 2020, 11:00:31 »
Was there ever a sizing chart for the shirts in the faction packs? My search fu is weak.

Joewrightgm

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #545 on: 11 January 2020, 16:13:11 »
Double post: y’all got any of them ... updates?? ;)

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #546 on: 11 January 2020, 16:53:08 »
There probably won't be an update today; They are experiencing technical difficulties.

Joewrightgm

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #547 on: 11 January 2020, 18:02:42 »
There probably won't be an update today; They are experiencing technical difficulties.

Ewww... understood!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #548 on: 11 January 2020, 18:52:11 »
Whatever they were struggling with they got through

Lots in the update

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #549 on: 11 January 2020, 19:14:16 »
I like the dice.  Now I wish they were offering them in 12mm pairs for rolling locations with cluster weapons.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #550 on: 11 January 2020, 19:50:01 »
since it has been included in the canon, why does the 3025 map not include the Aurigan Coalition? it shows all the other periphery powers, including several smaller and less developed than the Aurigan's.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #551 on: 11 January 2020, 20:15:15 »
since it has been included in the canon, why does the 3025 map not include the Aurigan Coalition? it shows all the other periphery powers, including several smaller and less developed than the Aurigan's.
They aren't a relevant power, they are just one of many sub-minor powers that fall under Periphery Generic.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #552 on: 11 January 2020, 20:17:28 »
It’s the most elegant way to wedge them in without causing too many ripples

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #553 on: 11 January 2020, 20:22:14 »
They aren't a relevant power, they are just one of many sub-minor powers that fall under Periphery Generic.
by that standard half the periphery states they did include should not be on their either.

if the aurigan's aren't big or important enough to include, you shouldn't include the tortuga dominions, the Valkyrate, or the Illyrian palatinate. but all of those made the cut.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2020, 20:26:56 by glitterboy2098 »

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #554 on: 11 January 2020, 20:26:28 »
by that standard half the periphery states they did include should not be on their either.

They had better PR people/lobbyists pestering the C* design committees?
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #555 on: 11 January 2020, 20:36:35 »
The only two MUL periphery factions that would be questionable are the Calderon Protectorate and Filtvelt - both jihad realizations and apropos for the real world and in-universe time the database was created

The others (Canopus, Circinus, etc) have significant precedent. Much more prominent factions like Oberon also do not make the cut
« Last Edit: 11 January 2020, 20:38:46 by Sartris »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #556 on: 12 January 2020, 00:21:08 »
So leaving aside specific mechs.

What weight class would you think each chess piece represents?

In my mind it would be something like this....

Pawn = Light
Knight = Medium
Bishop/Rook = Heavy
King/Queen = Assault
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #557 on: 12 January 2020, 00:29:18 »
I'd probably say the Rook is an assault mech and the King is an Urbanmech.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #558 on: 12 January 2020, 07:59:12 »
So leaving aside specific mechs.

What weight class would you think each chess piece represents?

In my mind it would be something like this....

Pawn = Light
Knight = Medium
Bishop/Rook = Heavy
King/Queen = Assault

Pawn (Light) = Stinger or Wasp
Rook (Medium) = Phoenix Hawk or Shadow Hawk
Bishop (Medium) = Wyvern
Knight (Heavy) = Black Knight
Queen (Assault) = Charger
King = (Assault) Emperor  or King Crab
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #559 on: 12 January 2020, 08:44:40 »
Pawn (Light) = Stinger or Wasp
Rook (Medium) = Phoenix Hawk or Shadow Hawk
Bishop (Medium) = Wyvern
Knight (Heavy) = Black Knight
Queen (Assault) = Charger
King = (Assault) Emperor  or King Crab
The Knight almost has to be something that jumps, given how the piece moves.  I’d have the Rook being heavier than the Knight or Bishop, in reflection of the traditional point valuing.  The Queen should be the best mech on the field, certainly not a Charger.

I’d do something like this:

Pawn: Stinger/Wasp/Locust
Knight: Wolverine/Griffin/Shadow Hawk
Bishop: Centurion/Hunchback/Crab
Rook: Warhammer/Marauder/Zeus
Queen: Banshee
King: Atlas

(Btw, Why are we talking about Chess?  I think I missed something.)
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #560 on: 12 January 2020, 09:33:16 »
I think Hellraiser replied to the wrong thread.

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #561 on: 12 January 2020, 18:58:46 »
Here's what the Add-on says:

"Canon Character Upgrade [Galaxy Cmdr and above]   $125

For those who asked, and want to guarantee higher level art/placement of their Canon Characters, subsequent repetitions of this add-on will upgrade your character to a more prominent guaranteed placement in a fiction novel, box set or sourcebook.
Your current Canon Character will already get priority placement due to your reward-rank!
Extra priority can include larger art development, upgrades to serial character, or involvement in larger storyline plots."

I don't read that as an additional character.  I also don't know what it means at Star Colonel or below.

for colonel it reads as this:
Canon Character Art Add-on/Character Upgrade [Star Colonel] $125
3 per customer (3 Left)

For the Star Colonel who has a Canon Character and wants the Art Upgrade...  This is it!

Your character image will be guaranteed to appear in a future BattleTech product.  There is no guarantee it will appear with your Character name and stats, but we will make a reasonable effort to do so, according to the needs of the product.

(For those who asked, and want to guarantee higher level art/placement, subsequent repetitions of this add-on will upgrade your character to a more prominent guaranteed placement in a fiction novel, box set or sourcebook.)

so in general this is not an additional char addon it is an upgrade to the existing one part of either SC or GC pledge.
My read is that, at SC with one of these upgrades you will have the art and possibly the priority of the GC version without extra updates.
Additional upgrades would increase priority in both cases.

Of course it isn't clearly defined what sort of priority increase it really is, so personally I wouldn't use it for that purpose.
In the SC case it might be worth it for the art, depending on interest and how much money you are willing to  spend for that.

a bit of unnecessary vagueness that might bite them later on. ;)
I'm not even sure that anyone ever asked for offering increased priority upgrades.
A simple art upgrade for the non artsy char and the still/again/for good missing char addon might have been easier.

in continuation to the above
I just checked with main pledge selection < Star Colonel, there is a third variant of the addon.
From the looks of it, it is the 200$ fresh char addon some have been missing.
Canon Character Add-on (with art) [Bloodnamed! and below]
$200
3 per customer (3 Left)

For those who did not get a Canon Character as part of their pledge level, and wish to enjoy being a part of the BattleTech Universe, this is for you!

Your character image will be guaranteed to appear in a future BattleTech product.  There is no guarantee it will appear with your Character name and stats, but we will make a reasonable effort to do so, according to the needs of the product.

(For those who asked, and want to guarantee higher level art/placement, subsequent repetitions of this add-on will upgrade your character to a more prominent guaranteed placement in a fiction novel, box set or sourcebook.)
So it looks like this additional char is limited to main pledges that don't contain an own and works the same after that.
From that I would conclude there is no interest in having an addon that just adds random numbers of additional chars from CG side, which I can understand given the number they already have.
Which in turn means, that if anyone wants an actual additional char they would have to choose an additional pledge bundle of Col/GalCmd depending on the kind of char they are looking for.

PS: is here an option to quote nested quotes without having to copy the nested levels by hand? ;)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #562 on: 12 January 2020, 20:59:00 »
The Wolf dice look nice, but I think the edge of the ear does not show well in the photos.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

RabidFox

• Sergeant
« Reply #563 on: 13 January 2020, 01:00:20 »
From that I would conclude there is no interest in having an addon that just adds random numbers of additional chars from CG side, which I can understand given the number they already have.

I really wish they gave us the option to give up the canon character.  I would have much rather got some other items as part of my pledge.  They got to have a few thousand canon characters and I wonder how they are all going to actually fulfill all those submissions.

EthrDemon

• Sergeant
« Reply #564 on: 13 January 2020, 01:34:53 »
I wonder how they are all going to actually fulfill all those submissions.

Loren, Randall, Blaine & co are going to write a lot of stories  ;D

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #565 on: 13 January 2020, 02:07:25 »
One of two things will happen.

1: Most will just be names of pilots in scenario forces in some upcoming appropriate product and that's it.

2: People will upgrade their character to flood the Battletech universe with themselves and ofrce the writers to have to work themselves ragged working all those characters into stories and using the associated art.

To be honest if presented with the option I'm not sure which way I'd go.  The only thing I know for sure is I'd be disinclined to use my real name or the name on my e-mail account I used to create my kickstarter campaign account.  But it'd have to be a name that I'v used enough that my friends might recognize.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #566 on: 13 January 2020, 02:08:54 »
I wonder how they are all going to actually fulfill all those submissions.

There are lots of ways to use names.  TO&Es for military units (in Field Manual style) can use some names as unit commanders.  Whenever writers put together a story, they can write the draft with character names as placeholders, then pick appropriate characters for those slots. 

Incidental characters can be used to burn off names - not just main storyline characters (which would probably go to the higher tier characters).  At the lower tiers, your character mention might just be a passing mention "This is [Character Name Here] at Outpost Sixteen.  We're being overrun by [BOOM]....  Transmission terminated at source."

There will be lots of MechWarrior cards in this Kickstarter, and if the concept is successful, there will be more in the future.  Each one of those is a name.  If the Shrapnel magazine has scenarios with fixed force rosters, then each 'Mech, vehicle, and infantry platoon is another slot for a name.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #567 on: 13 January 2020, 03:23:28 »
I really wish they gave us the option to give up the canon character.  I would have much rather got some other items as part of my pledge.
I doubt that will happen since they didn't do it neither when the PM went live nor when they added the upgrade addon. And let's be honest, the pledges with chars are already good deals and dropping anything close to the addon price would be ridiculous.
They got to have a few thousand canon characters and I wonder how they are all going to actually fulfill all those submissions.
as long as they don't loose the char data they will gather at some point, this is the least of their problems as there is no timeline attached to this part of the fulfillment process. It may take a few years or five, as long as CG still does Battletech at that point...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #568 on: 13 January 2020, 08:20:56 »
Agreed that a lot of us are going to be about as integrated as a one episode filler anime characters. This is fine. If you want the ego boost of making a more impactful mark on the universe, pay up. Personally I am not going above what was promised at GalCom.

There are a ton of incidental characters in fiction and sourcebooks (a novel like embers of war alone has dozens). Authors pulling off the database will use those up relatively quickly (within three to five years depending on release rates). The art will probably be a bit slower unless they make the premium pilot cards a regular thing or do a number of starterbook type products that use a lot of character portraits

Since we’re out of the campaign portion, there’s no way to tell how many people are paying for the upgrades. Hopefully people who didn’t upgrade are expecting any kind of big payoff from this because they’re going to try to unload that list ASAP

« Last Edit: 13 January 2020, 08:22:33 by Sartris »

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #569 on: 13 January 2020, 08:33:20 »
the most ironic and efficient use of the chars would be as news report about a dropship collision with subsequent debris strike in some city.
Make a news report combined with an obituary listing the casualties.
Very efficient, just one paragraph of original text and the list of characters and in one swoop you can deal with thousands of chars. ;)
secondary advantage, it could be used as a historic footnote in some source book or as a preamble in some novel to set of some post catastrophe story without having to really use the chars at all.

Register