Author Topic: The Growling Bears  (Read 6212 times)

sunshadow

• Master Sergeant
  • Prepare to reap the whirlwind...
The Growling Bears
« on: 09 February 2013, 20:08:30 »
This is a unit some friends and I created just recently, and I thought I'd share it with everybody else here. So first off, a brief bio for the unit;

In 3087, the Ghost Bear Dominion decided to begin the foundation work of a new Galaxy. For years the Dominion had been plagued by command and control problems that stemmed from the distinction between front-line and second-line Galaxies. Organized separately, Clusters from these units were often tasked to work together as front-line units seized territory and second-line units then worked to hold it. Inexperience in working together, combined with the challenges of coordinating Clusters from separate Galaxies during a campaign, had given many Ghost Bear commanders numerous headaches over the years. The new force would be a hybrid unit, combining front-line and second-line Clusters under a single Galaxy Command. Despite the protests of some outspoken traditionalists in the Clan Council, the plan went forward, and warriors from throughout the Dominion were pulled together to create a small Clan unit, initially a Trinary in size, that would serve as the nucleus of this new Galaxy. While officially known as the 173rd Striker, they were quickly dubbed with the nickname 'Growling Bears'.

The unit was officially formed as of June 6th, 3087. Below is the unit's roster at the date of formation.

173rd Striker Trinary (Growling Bears) TO&E
(As of 6th June, 3087)

Faction: Rasalhague Dominion (Clan Ghost Bear)
Unit Commanding Officer: Star Captain Cade (Mackenzie)
Unit Executive Officer: Star Commander Zephyr (Jorgensson)

Current Force Size: Trinary

Alshain Star (Command Star)
CO: Star Captain Cade (MacKenzie)
XO: Star Commander Zephyr (Jorgensson)

-Summoner A: Star Captain Cade (MacKenzie)
-Grizzly: Star Commander Zephyr (Jorgensson)
-Crossbow A: Warrior Koryn
-Orion IIC: Warrior Ty-Lee (Tseng)
-Elemental Point: Point Commander Miranda

Toffen Star (Striker Star)
CO: Star Commander Tor (Kabrinski)

-Elemental Point: Star Commander Tor (Kabrinski)
-Stooping Hawk B: N/A
-Adder B: N/A
-Conjurer: Warrior Savannah (Bekker)
-Griffin IIC: N/A

Eden Star (Scout Star)
CO:
Star Commander Matthias (Running-Elk)

-Mist Lynx C: Star Commander Matthias (Running-Elk)
-Fire Moth D: Warrior Kaylon
-Arctic Cheetah C: Warrior Sasha (Hakimi)
-Elemental Point: Point Commander Verro (Gurdel)
-Afreet Point: Point Commander Opel (Icaza)

A name in parentheses indicates a Bloodname that the character has not yet earned, since we don't let players begin with a Bloodname. As should be obvious, an N/A indicates an NPC that has not yet been named.

Also attached is an image of our unit emblem.

EDIT: Went back and changed the ranks to the proper 'warrior' rank, and edited the names of NPCs that now have names.
« Last Edit: 17 February 2013, 11:19:53 by sunshadow »

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Da Bears.
Instead of "slow and steady wins the race" we've opted for "Slow and steady, we will beat your face."  >:D

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: The Growling Bears
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2013, 21:37:24 »
-Orion IIC: Point Commander Apache (Tseng)

This is a Wolf exclusive mech, so either you isola it and cleaned the gore out of the cockpit, or magic handwaveium really works.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

sunshadow

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2013, 22:41:08 »
The backstory we came up with for the Orion IIC is that it was taken as Isorla, but it got shoved into storage since the previous unit had no use for it. We just took it out with permission from the Khan. Similar idea for any other mechs not available to the Dominion on a regular basis.

Da Bears.
Instead of "slow and steady wins the race" we've opted for "Slow and steady, we will beat your face."  >:D

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2013, 23:32:30 »
Then prepare for some wolf revenge, heavy on the attacks. Hope the pilot is a good one. Could earn his or her Bloodname after such mulitple wins and all. Plus what cool nickname that is, Wolfskinner and all.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

sunshadow

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2013, 00:00:35 »
Then prepare for some wolf revenge, heavy on the attacks. Hope the pilot is a good one. Could earn his or her Bloodname after such mulitple wins and all. Plus what cool nickname that is, Wolfskinner and all.

Hm, didn't think of it quite like that, but I like the idea. I'll put it to good use, hehe >:D

Anyways, we've decided we're going to do some training (*cough*get used to fighting under the rules of Zellbrigen after learning to fight the dirty IS way*cough*) before we ship out on our first mission. And with that, here's a quick rundown of the first mission we'll be undertaking in the name of the Ghost Bear Dominion!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contract Type:    Defensive Campaign

Primary Operational Terrain:    Woodlands, Heavy
Contract Duration:    4 Months
Employer:    Rasalhague Dominion

Employer Contact:    Star Colonel Kato Kabrinski
Command Rights:    Independent Command
Forces Recommended:    A Company Strength Detachment
Supporting Forces:    Unknown
Enemy Forces:    13th Battle Cluster (Clan Wolf)

Warriors of the Rasalhague Dominion! The Wolf lurks outside our lair. On Stanzach, we have learned that a Clan Wolf force is coming to declare a Trial of Possession for the genetic legacy of Michael Hawkins. Michael Hawkins, once the aide to Khan Bjorn Jorgensson and later the Galaxy Commander of Rho Galaxy, died in combat against Clan Wolf in 3075. It would seem his deeds left an impression, and now the Wolves seek to control his legacy, one that we prize a great deal. Clan Wolf has grown desperate to rebuild their gene pool after losing many genetic legacies when their capital of Tamar was nuked years ago, their own genetic repository was caught in the radiation zone. Time and time again they have declared Trials against us, to seize the genetic material they need to rebuild. We have won some of these battles, and lost some. In the last few years these Trials for genetic material have been the primary avenue of conflict between the Wolves and the Dominion.

The incoming unit is Clan Wolf’s 13th Battle Cluster of their Beta Galaxy. Their current commander, Star Colonel Lena Vickers, is a cunning warrior who has seized five genetic legacies from the Ghost Bears in the last year. Her personal list of kills, especially among the Bloodnamed, is impressive. She has attracted a core of highly skilled Star Captains and Star Commanders to her banner.

When Star Colonel Lena Vickers’ unit shows up, they will declare their challenge. We will be defending with your unit, on a remote battlefield on Stanzach, away from the civilian population. We expect that you will not face Lena Vickers herself, you will likely face one of her subordinates, a Star Captain that wins the Cluster’s internal bidding to decide who will lead the Trial against you. The rest of the Wolf Star Colonel’s command will likely find a place to watch, as will all other Dominion warriors on-world.

Defend the legacy of Michael Hawkins. Succeed here, and we will soon send the Growling Bears to face the 13th Battle Cluster again on the Clan Wolf world they call home as we declare our own Trial of Possession and take the fight to Vlad’s Wolves. Seyla!

PRIMARY OBJECTIVES:
1) Handle the Wolves’ batchall when they declare their Trial of Possession
2) Defend the legacy of Michael Hawkins

SECONDARY OBJECTIVES:
1) Avoid collateral damage to population centers
2) Preserve as much of your force as you can, Waste Not

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so, I shall leave it at that till more becomes available. Ta!
« Last Edit: 10 February 2013, 00:02:23 by sunshadow »

Da Bears.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2013, 01:16:02 »
Great to see another Republic era unit. It's fast becoming my favourite era to game in.

I'd echo what TT said about the Orion IIC, which sounds like a great RP'ing opportunity - I see wild warriors challenging him to back to back fights!

Love the flavor and look of these Bear Warriors. My ply quip is that usually mechwarrior are just called "mechwarrior" rather than "point commander". Considering the point thy command is...well... Just them.

Really like this trinary though - make sure you keep us updated with battle reports.

Hmm... Maybe I'll roll up some Snakr Samurai to pitt against some bears now

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

sunshadow

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2013, 11:21:10 »
Oh, I fuly intend to keep my readers updated on this little unit, it's going to have a lot going on.

As the 'Point Commander' versus 'MechWarrior' ranking, I remember reading somewhere that most MechWarriors are known as Point Commanders due to one mech equaling a point, though I do realize where you're coming from on that point.

While updates may sometimes be slow in coming due to my group's gaming schedule, far not - I'll be updating when I have some worthwhile news to do so with. That said, we're going to be running a training combat soon, and I'll probably post results for that.

Nice to see some people interested in our little Ghost Bear unit besides us!  :)

Da Bears.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2013, 17:24:32 »
Oh don't get me wrong, I absolutely hate these share bears.  O:-)  I'm into My Lil' Fire Ponies myself! But on the other hand, it's someone elses turn for the meatgrinders. >:D

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 10 February 2013, 17:26:01 »
As the 'Point Commander' versus 'MechWarrior' ranking, I remember reading somewhere that most MechWarriors are known as Point Commanders due to one mech equaling a point, though I do realize where you're coming from on that point.

The problem is that they're not technically commanding a point, are they? Because... it's just them.
AND a Mechwarrior doesn't have command over Elementals without any rank - he's the same rank as them.

That's like changing "private" for "soldier commander" or something like that. (that said, I once had a Corporal who was formally dubbed the acting assistant, assistant section commander" - he just watched the section commander and the 2IC and did nothing else really...)

That said, I'm thinking I'll enjoy this unit a lot!

I think Mechwarrior is the accepted term

kuttsinister7

• Master Sergeant
  • I send recon, then artillery, then main forces...
« Reply #9 on: 10 February 2013, 18:01:24 »
Looks good so far.
If you can't reach for the stars, then call the Doom Stars. We will fix that for you...

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 10 February 2013, 18:47:58 »
Will enjoy seeing how your Teddy Bears do. :D O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 10 February 2013, 19:13:56 »
Point 1-2 = is Corporal rank.
Point 3-5 = is Sargent rank, with #4 being assistant, #5 is Point Commander of other types, Mechwarrior is a Point Commander, commands a Mech only.

Star Commander = is Lieutenant rank, #5 with #4 assisting, commands either a Star or Nova. ( Omni Star with BA Star )

Star Captain = is Captain rank, #5 with #4 ( Lt. ) assisting, commands Binary or Trinary.

Nova Captain = same as Star Captain, but commands a Supernova at a Major rank, ( 2 Omni Star with 2 BA Star, or 3 of Nova ) modifies symbol with more daggerstars to denote rank.

Star Colonel = is Lieutenant Colonel rank, #5 with #4 ( Capt. ) assisting, commands a Cluster.

TT
« Last Edit: 10 February 2013, 19:16:40 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #12 on: 11 February 2013, 18:17:40 »
Really like the logo, look forward to seeing more of this unit.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 17 February 2013, 03:43:56 »
How are the Growling Bears going, ovKhan? Have they had their first trial by fire?

sunshadow

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 17 February 2013, 11:13:05 »
How are the Growling Bears going, ovKhan? Have they had their first trial by fire?

Unfortunately, no, but we have gotten to the point of finalizing the unit to where it is ready to run that, now they just need to jump from Alshain to Stanzach (Which is gonna be awhile, IIRC). Don't give up hope, though, we're still plugging along on this.

However, I do have some fun news. One of our MechWarriors, Star Commander Matthias, played in a game of football with some Elementals, then got tackled by one when he grabbed the ball.  :)) Squiiish...  >:D

The unit has also obtained their initial DropShip, a Union-C class named the Aletha's Legacy, chosen because it was the last Ghost Bear Union built with a Tactical Operations Room, or TOR, seeing as Star Captain Cade wanted to have a proper, non-makeshift command post. He has decided to lead the unit from there, allowing him to better coordinate combat, though that will probably result in some charges of cowardice coming from other warriors.  }:)

While I can't say that we will get to the mission really soon, I can give an in-character schedule.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. We'll be leaving Alshain on the 30th of July,
arrive: Kaesong on 7 August,
arrive: Radstadt 13 August,
arrive: Stanzach 16 August
Make planetfall: 24 August

Once on Stanzach, we'll begin a heavy training schedule as the unit works to come together. There can also be post of simulator training during the trip, and even some tensions between new warriors serving together for the first time. Try not to kill the NPCs though.

Some of our training will be against the second line force there - the Second Kavallari Cluster of Polar Galaxy, part of the Kungsarme. We'll stage some mock battles against them as we bring the unit together.

On 20 September, the Wolves will arrive. A day later, they will issue their batchall and begin their burn in. They'll be moving in eagerly, so going above a standard Gee. They'll make planetfall in five days, on 26 Sept.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, you can probably expect a report on our first 'trial by fire' sometime around March 1st. Yeah, I know that's a while to wait, but we actually play on a time system of '2 days IC = 1 day real life'. It makes things take some time, but it works really well for us.

So, sorry to give you the news on how long it will take before an after-action-report comes out, but I will try to keep you guys updated on anything that's important or just plain funny during the meantime. Just please bear with me (pun intended :D ), and I'll have something to report eventually, Trothkin.

Da Bears.

sunshadow

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 17 February 2013, 11:28:44 »
Okay, went back and edited the original roster in the first post. I've changed the original point commander ranks to the proper rank of warrior, and I've added the recently-decided names of several NPCs, mainly the members of Eden Star.

Quick pointer for those with a sharp eye for Clan Bloodnames, Point Commander Opel (Icaza) is a Jade Falcon by birth; he was taken by the Bears as Bondsman, and then chose to join their Touman, hence his presence in the unit. Just thought I'd point that out ahead of time in case anyone saw that.

Also, I will get around to posting some bios for the unit's characters soon, once I get them all collected and typed up.

Da Bears.

sunshadow

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 22 February 2013, 12:02:43 »
Okay, finally have something to post up here...

We have a TO&E for the opposition, the Wolves' 13th Battle Cluster.

Command Star
-Timber Wolf prime
-Cauldron-Born B
-Blood Reaper
-Tundra Wolf 4
-Linebacker prime

Second Star
-Nova prime
-Stromcrow C
-Pouncer
-Vapor Eagle
-Sulla Prime AeroSpace Fighters (x2)

Third Star
-Phantom prime
-Adder D
-Fire Moth A
-Fire Moth F
-Locust IIC 5

Da Bears.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 23 February 2013, 00:00:44 »
Okay, finally have something to post up here...

We have a TO&E for the opposition, the Wolves' 13th Battle Cluster.

Command Star
-Timber Wolf prime
-Cauldron-Born B
-Blood Reaper
-Tundra Wolf 4
-Linebacker prime

Second Star
-Nova prime
-Stromcrow C
-Pouncer
-Vapor Eagle
-Sulla Prime AeroSpace Fighters (x2)

Third Star
-Phantom prime
-Adder D
-Fire Moth A
-Fire Moth F
-Locust IIC 5

Hmmmm, who won the Wolf bid? Which brash, young pup will try and bring these wolves down?

sunshadow

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 23 February 2013, 12:27:14 »
Hmmmm, who won the Wolf bid? Which brash, young pup will try and bring these wolves down?

Haven't figured out a name for the enemy leader yet, but I do have a quick detail;

The Wolf leader only bid two stars originally, the command and second. If the Bears gain the upper hand (which I suspect they will) then he's going to break the bid and call in the third star to try and save his canister-born ass from dishonor.  ::) Like he won't have dishonored himself already...

Anyhoo, the battle will be held in the heavily forested area around the abandoned city of Martuun, as well as in the city itself. The group chose this kind of arena because they are a new unit not used to working together; so, they found a place where they could use cover and other such things to even the playing field against their veteran opponents. The use of such tactics in the trial is possible because the Bears and Wolves both have a much looser sense of Zellbrigen than other Clans from my understanding.

Da Bears.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 23 February 2013, 18:19:06 »
Preople get really funny about Zell, but I honestly think using cover and terrain that assists you is 100 per cent fine, if not the whole point of being designated the "hunted".

Look at Bloodname trial- one opponent will suggest the way they fight while the other will then select terrain that will give them an advantage - ruined buildings, tunnels, zero gravity, etc.

I think you're fine in choosing this sort of terrain

sunshadow

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 23 February 2013, 20:05:51 »
Preople get really funny about Zell, but I honestly think using cover and terrain that assists you is 100 per cent fine, if not the whole point of being designated the "hunted".

Look at Bloodname trial- one opponent will suggest the way they fight while the other will then select terrain that will give them an advantage - ruined buildings, tunnels, zero gravity, etc.

I think you're fine in choosing this sort of terrain

My point exactly. You tend to see a lot of arguments on this, but I see it like this.

Da Bears.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 23 February 2013, 20:15:04 »
My point exactly. You tend to see a lot of arguments on this, but I see it like this.

Don't worry, I'm sure the handful of people in these forums who like to argue about such things will eventually gatecrash your thread!  :D

Looks good - cant wait for them to strut they stuff!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 23 February 2013, 22:13:42 »
You granting Safecon?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

sunshadow

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 24 February 2013, 10:51:56 »
You granting Safecon?

TT

Well, with no naval assets to shoot them down with... yes, damn it all... >:(

Da Bears.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 24 February 2013, 16:39:22 »
What ASF do you have? Make him use his to defend his dropper.

Also you could bid your Dropship... risky but you could.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

sunshadow

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 24 February 2013, 17:40:04 »
What ASF do you have? Make him use his to defend his dropper.

Also you could bid your Dropship... risky but you could.

TT

That's the sucky part...

You see, when we started the game, we got a budget to use for our equipment, and a choice of a Union-C or an Aero carrier. Yeah, not really true in the Clans, but it kept the unit from starting off huge and getting all the good stuff from the get-go.

That means no ASFs, seeing as the Union-C carries none.  :'(

We are going to bid the DropShip as a command post, but we aren't bidding it in an initial space strike... that would be, let's see, our one Union-C against, oh, I think it's one or two Overlord-Cs to carry a Cluster?

Yeah, not happening...  #P

We've got it all worked out though, so no worries. Also, expect the first combat action to be reported here in the next while, we're just now approaching the Wolves arrival in-game. Till then!

Da Bears.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 24 February 2013, 19:59:46 »
Ok...

FASCAM LRMs, legal if fired around your Command Post.
Swarm LRMs, legal as clans prefer one on one longrange attacks.
Infernos SRMs, legal for Command Post defense.
LB-X makes great AAA so equip one of your omnis as dedicated anti-ASF mode at all times. Longer reach helps.

Hope this helps. Bid well and bargin good!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

sunshadow

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 04 March 2013, 11:17:43 »
Alrighty, the Wolves have arrived in-system and called for a bid. In a few days, they will make planetfall and the fight will begin.

However, during the interim, tension has been building between the Growling Bears and the second-line unit currently stationed on Stanzach, the 2nd Kavallari, and it has already cost the Bears the warrior piloting their Stooping Hawk. While he has been replaced, tension between the two units remains high, and after the Wolves have been dealt with a resolution will have to be reached - how that will go is anyone's guess.  >:D

Updates scheduled to be coming soon, see you then!

Da Bears.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 04 March 2013, 22:33:52 »
NPCs come and go, replacing characters is the hard part. I have my players create two or more characters and when of them dies, their replacement is ready made.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

sunshadow

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 09 April 2013, 13:15:28 »
Alright, it's been awhile, but the Growling Bears have finally completed their first mission! So, here's a basic rundown of what went down;

The Wolf commander, Star Captain Jana of the Reaper's Fee Trinary, 13th Battle Cluster, bid two stars; her command star and her second star. She then landed on-planet to begin the trial.

First engagement took place when Star Commander Zephyr, in command of Alshain Star while Star Captain Cade remained in the DropShip command center, lead his other warriors into combat against the Wolves second star, listed in an earlier post; they proceeded to eliminate the enemy mechs without casualty to themselves, but were forced to retreat when the Sullas decided to show.

Afterwards, while Alshain Star was obtaining repairs and being rearmed, Eden Star was engaged by the Wolf command star in the abandoned city of Martuun. The battle quickly turned into a running street fight, in which the members of Eden Star managed to stave off their opponents and take down a Linebacker; however, they also took casualties themselves, in the form of their Fire Moth. They also lost one Elemental and one Afreet, both warriors listed as KIA.

At this point, Toffen Star arrived to provide Eden Star with some relief, finishing the battle and collecting several bondsmen. Though they received a beating in the process, they suffered no fatalities.

At this point, the trial was offically expected to be over, but Star Captain Jana, desperate to defeat the Bears, broke bid and launched an assault on the Bears' DropShip with her third star. The Wolf force split into two groups; three of them apporached from a southerly direction, and were intercepted and destroyed by Star Commander Zephyr, Warrior Ty-Lee and Warrior Erik. The other two looped around to the north, but were summarily taken out when Star Commander Cade personally scrambled his own mech and destroyed them.

The trial officially ended when Star Colonel Lena Vickers, commander of the Wolves 13th Battle Cluster, met Star Captain Cade in-person on the steps of the old courthouse in Martuun. There, she admitted defeat, but vowed that the next time their forces met, she would be dealing with them personally rather than through her subordinates. Star Captain Cade responded by granting the remaining Wolves hegirra, and they retreated from the system without further troubles.

However, the aftermath of the trial was not entirely happy; bad blood exsted between the Growling Bears and the 2nd Kavalleri, who felt cheated by the new unit being the one expressly allowed to bid in the trial; this was only salt in an open wound, however, as the 2nd Kavalleri already had a rivalry with the Bears; due to their status as an experiment by the Khan, the Bears were given top-priority in military shipments, which resulted in the 2nd Kavalleri being shunted downwards after a recent, hard-earned rise in priority ranks that would have resulted in new equipment and supplies. Blaming the Growling Bears for their misfortune, they have held a rther personal grudge for some time.

This began to be troublesome when Trials of Grievance between Bear and Kavalleri warriors had to be stopped before the trial; afterwards, things came to a head when Star Captain Caleb from the 2nd Kavalleri lost a Trial of Grievance to Star Captain Cade; shortly afterwards, two female members of the Bears, both MechWarriors of Toffen Star, were attacked by seven warriors from the Kavalleri forces after leaving a bar. While MechWarrior Savannah put a stop to the fight by removing the Kavalleri warrior's trigger fingers with her swords, it did little to dampen the resentment that the 2nd felt for the Bears.

For now, the Bears remain on Stanzach to await their nex set of orders, but the peace is fragile at best; rumor has been circulating that the Bears and the Kavalleri will have to work together in their next assignment, and the Bears' commanding officer and exec are worried about trying to keep the peace with a group of people who seemingly refuse to see reason. Only time will tell what will come of this...

Da Bears.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #30 on: 09 April 2013, 20:39:41 »
Sounds good!

I like how you're playing up the tension between the two units. Nicely done.

Can I suggest using one or two of the new Wolf bondsmen as interesting and prominent NPCs.
Maybe a Crusader Wolf who initially hates his captors and drips scorn towards the freeborn warriors of the 2nd but hi slowly comes around. Eventually proving himself and being adopted

sunshadow

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 10 April 2013, 01:20:38 »
Actually, already doing that, Alpha. One is a semi-prominent NPC who may or may not join the Bears at a later date, but they do exist in the story. If I wasn't using your suggestion already, I would have taken you up on it; great idea for adding more of the human drama we all love into the story.  ;)

Da Bears.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 10 April 2013, 20:57:26 »
Very cool! Can you give us some details about this fellow?

sunshadow

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 11 April 2013, 12:20:17 »
Why certainly! I will admit that I have not fleshed the bondsman out much, due to their just recently joining, but here is what I have for right now.

The bondsman in question is a female; Judea of the Sender Bloodhouse. She does not yet have her Bloodname. She is average height for a Clan MechWarrior, with dark skin and black hair. She is somewhat brash and tends to act quickly without waiting and thinking about a situation; she chafes at her role as a bondsman, but has not complained too much about it so far. She was taken bondsman by Star Captain Cade when he scrambled his Summoner and defeated her own Adder and an accompanying Locust IIC.

------------------

Also, a funny thing I forgot to mention during the description of the trial; during Zephyr, Ty-Lee and Erik's fight with the two Fire Moths and the Phantom, Ty-Lee's player did something I will never forget... she alpha-stiked at one of the Fire Moths, and wouldn't you know it, every single shot hit. #P

Well, I'll just say this about that event... overkill, anyone? :))
« Last Edit: 11 April 2013, 12:23:14 by sunshadow »

Da Bears.

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #34 on: 07 June 2013, 10:09:48 »
Are you re-posting here about your adventures on Battletech Mercenaries, or is this a separate story?

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

Register