Author Topic: Clan intelligence and the lack thereof.  (Read 6358 times)

SteveRestless

• Major
Re: Clan intelligence and the lack thereof.
« Reply #30 on: 27 January 2016, 22:09:47 »
Had the Clans actually been smart, they'd have bypassed all the inhabited systems of the coreward Inner Sphere and struck at Terra first.

It would be....glorious.

I want to play in this Battletech Setting. (and I've made some attempts at designing something VERY similar)
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #31 on: 28 January 2016, 11:52:19 »
It would have been far more exciting than you seem to think.

Feel free to create your own head canon.  Feel free to play it on table top with your friends.  Hey, even pop in and say I would have preferred if things went like X instead of Y.   Just remember you're shaking your fist at a ship that has long since sailed.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #32 on: 28 January 2016, 22:30:58 »
Skipping the invasion and just landing on Terra never made any sense to me. It's like saying you won a car race by driving in reverse and then forward again over the finish line. Conquering the resource-rich worlds of the Inner Sphere and reforming the Star League were the real prizes of the invasion. And with prophecy and greed as the driving factors, military intelligence becomes nothing more than another propoganda and marketing tool.

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #33 on: 28 January 2016, 23:35:06 »
Skipping the invasion and just landing on Terra never made any sense to me. It's like saying you won a car race by driving in reverse and then forward again over the finish line. Conquering the resource-rich worlds of the Inner Sphere and reforming the Star League were the real prizes of the invasion. And with prophecy and greed as the driving factors, military intelligence becomes nothing more than another propoganda and marketing tool.

You've got it backward. In this scenario, conquering Terra isn't the finish line. It's the starting line.

Just remember you're shaking your fist at a ship that has long since sailed.

One day I shall come to power and it'll be everyone else's fists that are shaking.  ;)
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #34 on: 28 January 2016, 23:39:58 »
You've got it backward. In this scenario, conquering Terra isn't the finish line. It's the starting line.

Ah! Got it. With the classic Clan approach to logistics, conquering Terra first makes more sense.  ;)