Author Topic: Battle Armor or Infantry?  (Read 12997 times)

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
Re: Battle Armor or Infantry?
« Reply #30 on: 26 January 2016, 03:45:50 »
Been years since I've read FM: WC, but didn't the Vipers also use conventional infantry in some capacity?
They did. All trueborn warriors, too. The Adders, and a couple Mandrill Kindraas also used conventional infantry, usually in garrisons and Solahma units. Can't remember if the Spirits did or not.

Using Total Warfare rules, I enjoyed using Elementals as well as conventional infantry. Lasers, SRMs, or LRMs for the unaugmented troopers, and sped up with either jump packs or suicidal mechanized options. Transports tended to cost too much BV.

The Elementals can run out of missiles, which means your ranged attack goes away if you're not also bringing AP Gauss.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #31 on: 27 January 2016, 00:58:22 »
If you have later options they can also mount ERSL I think . . .

Among the Horses, why could a infantry Star Commander or Star Captain not be nominated for a bloodname?  Or fight in a grand melee for a infantry bloodname?  I would actually expect this to be more of the case after moving to the IS.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #32 on: 27 January 2016, 10:08:03 »
Smart clans are once that realise value of infantry and are not afraid to use them to as best use as possible. Mechs might be kings of the battlefield but without support from combined arms they can't do that much and there are things that they can't do that other units like infantry can. Just like conventianal infantry, battle armor infantry has they uses so which one you prefer comes down to your own preferences. I don't prefer either one over other. 
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #33 on: 27 January 2016, 21:58:34 »
If you have later options they can also mount ERSL I think . . .

Among the Horses, why could a infantry Star Commander or Star Captain not be nominated for a bloodname?  Or fight in a grand melee for a infantry bloodname?  I would actually expect this to be more of the case after moving to the IS.

You might be thinking of the ER micro laser version. I admit the micro pulse laser Elemental is quite nice once you get into range.

As for bloodnamed infantrymen, my answer is that they have to be the protagonist of a novel. The odds are stacked against even the Cassie Suthorns of the Clans since the grand melee is fought augmented. So they'd likely be facing Elementals for an infantry bloodname, and then more mechs and possibly aircraft in a generalist bloodname. It doesn't help that the conventional infantry in the Horses are also either solahma or troopers that failed their first trial of position. Getting a nomination with a second-rate trial of position is going to be next to impossible.

Or would the Horses not be so biased against their second-line troops?

Register