Author Topic: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz  (Read 157722 times)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Re: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz
« Reply #1230 on: 27 February 2020, 22:37:45 »
I caught 1917 tonight.  Good movie, and I especially appreciated the cinematography of one long scene. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #1231 on: 28 February 2020, 20:03:49 »
I caught 1917 tonight.  Good movie, and I especially appreciated the cinematography of one long scene. 

This was on the previous page so...

Finally saw "1917." I'm a big fan of WW1 history since it was the only one my family participated in, in any meaningful way (great-grandad in the royal artillery, great uncle killed at Second Cambrai in October 1918, another stationed in Egypt) so it's nice to see the era get a modern treatment.

The talk is all the cinematography and yes, it's an impessive technical accomplishment, but honestly I found it a bit distracting. You start thinking about the way the shot was composed rather than focusing on the action and drama of the moment. The soundtrack is also pretty loud and intrusive.

It's a pretty simple story, without much of a message, unless it's "life as a lance corporal in WW1 was pretty awful" (and probably still is). The main character has an impossible mission unceremoniously dumped in his lap because some senior officer is screwing up, is given no guidance on how to achieve the mission, staggers through a series of disasters, and receives slightly less than zero thanks when he reaches his destination.

It makes a good pair with Dunkirk in a new wave of war movies that aren't really about heroism or the morality of war, just about poor sods trying to survive the whole thing. In this, it reminds me of a quote by US war correspondent George Biddle--"I wish the people at home, instead of thinking of their boys in terms of football stars, would think of them in terms of miners trapped underground or suffocating to death in a tenth-story fire."

As always, the Bluray director's extended cut of all this ranting and raving is on my blog:
https://one-way-mirror.blogspot.com/2020/02/1917.html
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1232 on: 02 March 2020, 17:59:35 »
After having binged the entire Tremors series (yeah, I have a lot of free time), my assessment:

The original was a genuinely good movie.

The second and fourth movies were decent.

The third and fifth movies had good parts, but also had some bad parts that they'd have been better without.

The sixth movie I didn't actually finish.  Felt more like a Syfy Channel Original Movie knockoff of the series than a proper sequel.  Burt came across as a parody of his previous character.  Other characters were generic and bland.  Oh well, on to something else now.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1233 on: 07 March 2020, 18:13:30 »
all highlander movies...i still despise the second one with such hate that i cannot put in words....
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1234 on: 08 March 2020, 00:45:50 »
#2 i find ok, but #4 and 5 were the suckiest to me.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1235 on: 23 April 2020, 09:45:17 »
Red Sun one of my favorites.

In case you are not familiar with it, this one is a western with Charles Bronson, Toshiro Mifune and Ursula Andress.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1236 on: 23 April 2020, 10:09:23 »
Rising sun, a good crime caper, more of the thinking mans one with Sean Connery and Westley snipes.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1237 on: 23 April 2020, 14:51:54 »
about to binge on really b flick series...puppet master...
funny thing about the movies my youngling saw it for first time when she was 5 going on 6 and loved it so much she fell in love with horror flix...by the time she turned 9 she turned into a critic of fx and stories go figure...oth her friends staying overnight made for very interesting conversations with their parents ...she  does not like friday 13 series after first one she deemed them not scary but silly and adores freddy
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1238 on: 23 April 2020, 15:30:42 »
I recently watched the Sabata trilogy, and Aquaman, along with several animated Batman movies. Also the Clone Wars movie (the animated one) before watching the first six seasons of Clone Wars, and finished off the three seasons of Marvel’s Runaways.

Now, I’ve started watching the 2003 Battlestar Galactica series, starting with Blood & Chrome, The the mini-series, and I’m almost through with the first season. Not sure just when I will watch The Plan and Razor during the viewing just yet.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1239 on: 23 April 2020, 16:15:27 »
Steven Chow fest this week. Shaolin Soccer, Mermaid, Kung fu Hustle, Journey to the west, God of Cookery, King of Comedy, CJ7 and Chinese Odyssey 1 & 2.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1240 on: 24 April 2020, 01:18:20 »
I recently watched the Sabata trilogy, and Aquaman, along with several animated Batman movies. Also the Clone Wars movie (the animated one) before watching the first six seasons of Clone Wars, and finished off the three seasons of Marvel’s Runaways.

Now, I’ve started watching the 2003 Battlestar Galactica series, starting with Blood & Chrome, The the mini-series, and I’m almost through with the first season. Not sure just when I will watch The Plan and Razor during the viewing just yet.

Ruger

I always wanted there to be more for blood and chrome.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1241 on: 24 April 2020, 08:44:59 »
I must be on a Western kick: Rio Lobo, Big Jake, Bugles in the Afternoon.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1242 on: 24 April 2020, 14:30:29 »
Saw that Medal of honor flik, Last full Measure.
It was slow in the first 30 or so minutes, but once it built up the steam, it was AWESOME...

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1243 on: 27 April 2020, 18:32:57 »
I just watched A New Hope for the first time in years and one of MANY differences between it and the Skywalker Trilogy jumped out.  The radio calls during the Trench run were almost subdued.  Everyone was tense, but they acted like professionals.  There was no shouting, or bellowing.  The only scream I can recall was when Red Leader was crippled and crashing.   That and Han's whoop.

Compare and contrast that with the way Poe was always chewing the scenery. Lets just say I prefer the older version.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1244 on: 17 May 2020, 15:12:18 »
Just watched Hitman's Bodyguard with Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson in it.  Hilarious if not slightly bloody action / comedy film. I recommended it highly if you like high action and snappy comebacks between two good actors with chemistry.

A sequel in the can suppose to be coming out next year, the Hitman's Girlfriend's bodyguard.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2020, 05:36:20 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1245 on: 17 May 2020, 16:53:02 »
Just watched Hitman's Bodyguard with Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson in it.  Hilarious if not slightly bloody action / comedy film. I recommended it highly if you like high action and squibs from two good actors with chemistry.

A sequel in the can suppose to be coming out next year, the Hitman's Girlfriend's bodyguard.

It was actually supposed to come out this year, but then the whole virus thing hit.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1246 on: 18 May 2020, 01:57:24 »
It was actually supposed to come out this year, but then the whole virus thing hit.

Ruger

I just wonder, if it's gonna have as much cussing in, as the first one.?

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1247 on: 18 May 2020, 23:11:14 »
Fist Full of Dollars.  I like Clint Eastwood, just can't help it, even in spite of his opinions.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1248 on: 19 May 2020, 01:07:49 »
Did a re-do of the first and second installment in the Maze runner series..  Still like the first film, but really wanted to see Thomas, PUSH teresa off that bloody cliff, after he realized she SOLD them all out...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1249 on: 21 May 2020, 10:52:40 »
Watched Justice League Dark: Apokolips War last night.

It's dark, and bloody, and lots of characters die gruesome on-screen deaths.  Which makes the ending of triggering a cosmic reset really freaking obvious to predict.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1250 on: 27 May 2020, 16:32:22 »
 I just started watching Grant on the History Channel it really good  :thumbsup:

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1251 on: 27 May 2020, 16:57:28 »
"On the History Channel" and "it's really good" are two phrases one does not expect to hear in conjunction.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1252 on: 27 May 2020, 17:41:40 »
Watched CJ7 in mandarin.  It was a cheap DVD release that I now regret.  I'm getting the Blu-Ray so I can hear it in the native Cantonese.  There is something wierd about watching something and knowing sometimes is off and you can't place it right away.  Also the special features on the bluray are far superior to the old DVD release.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1253 on: 28 May 2020, 00:39:24 »
I just started watching Grant on the History Channel it really good  :thumbsup:

Did you ever see that long (4 and a half hr) long film, Gettysburg, with a lot of good named actors in (from iirc 1993)?? 
Now though its long, its well worth the watch.

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1254 on: 28 May 2020, 06:24:16 »
 ;D garhkal to answer your question YES! I watch a lot of war movies from B.C.  to now. I have seen God and Generals as well. I taped Gettysburg off the TV and I have copy of the DVD as well. I collect war movies as well in Blueray DVD. I just started watching GRANT its 9 part mini series on the History Channel. Its one those Documentary movie type which it really good but then again I love history and war movie.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1255 on: 28 May 2020, 14:22:38 »
Havn't yet seen gods and generals, but its on the list to get from the library..

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1256 on: 31 May 2020, 14:34:27 »
Just got done watching Dragonheart Vengeance, the fifth movie in the series. I think it might rank up near the first in the series.

Ruger

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1257 on: 31 May 2020, 18:31:20 »
Just got done watching Dragonheart Vengeance, the fifth movie in the series. I think it might rank up near the first in the series.

Ruger
There's five movies in the series?
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1258 on: 31 May 2020, 20:51:10 »
There's five movies in the series?

As of a couple months ago or so. At one point, Walmart had a boxed set of all five, but I didn’t see that out there Saturday when I found the fifth one had been reduced down in price.

The second one was...not very good...I think the third one was slightly better than the second, and the fourth...hmm...not sure I remember much about it from the one time I’ve watched it so far (got the second through the fourth in a boxed set along with the first movie back when there were only four). All sequels have been direct to video releases, IIRC.

Ruger

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1259 on: 31 May 2020, 21:33:55 »
Wasn't the second a Sci-Fi Channel movie?