Author Topic: The Anime M@sterthread - Anime Gunsmith Catgirls Reincarnated into Another Thread  (Read 141338 times)

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
Ah, thanks for clearing that out.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

DarkSpade

• Major
They're really not that bad outside of the opening intro.  I think it's more because of the models the characters were made after than it was an conscious decision by the director.

I need to hunt down a Baselord figure/kit.  She's certainly taken the "best girl" reward for this show.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
Yes, things are getting very interesting in DA Reboot indeed with backstory reveal and Digidestined learning what is going on. So far other characters that have been involved have been getting attention as well so currently I am not bothered by heavy focus on Taichi and Agumon.

Well in the original series, and to an extent a trope of the IP, any time there was a evolution of the main Digimon there was a stock evolution sequence done. The fact it's only been done with Agumon, at this point, is the outliner. And it's something I'd rather not see. It's something nice not to see those bloody stock sequences all the time.

Luciora

• Major
If Clamp was able to show restraint for Angelic Lauer, then go straight back into it with the follow up Chobits, then I'd say Busou falls between the two, but it is very possible to do it without the squick type fanservice.

Something like leotards at the very least.

They're really not that bad outside of the opening intro.  I think it's more because of the models the characters were made after than it was an conscious decision by the director.

I need to hunt down a Baselord figure/kit.  She's certainly taken the "best girl" reward for this show.

DarkSpade

• Major
I think I spoke to soon.  There's a hot springs episode.  :facepalm:   With one episode left, I'm assuming there won't be a beach episode, but at this point I guess anything is possible.  ???

EDIT: "Anything" is right. It ends with the models performing a concert.  It's turned into an idol show.   Now I want a season two just to see where the hell this will go next.
« Last Edit: 05 July 2020, 19:54:05 by DarkSpade »
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
I mean, they're all just robots with painted on clothing if you want to be technical here. :)

Luciora

• Major
Chobits was a good example of how wrong that could be as well.

I mean, they're all just robots with painted on clothing if you want to be technical here. :)

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
Chobits is very different from Angelic Layer while being sequel to it. So different that if you have only seen Chobits but not Angelic Layer you wouldn't know it.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
It's only a sequel insomuch as most of CLAMP's works are tangentially in the same universe. They aren't really narratively continuous.

Luciora

• Major
Sorry, my reply was a bit more curt than it should have been.  I'm just saying,  that even as an aesthetic choice on an toy robot, panties are not something that I'd be interested in seeing period.  Its  pandering plain and simple to a certain demographic that I'd rather not be associated with.  They even included a spindle effect to go with the power cord insertion that the main character even raised an eyebrow at.  I am all for making something inclusive to all walks of interests, but there are just lines that dont need to be crossed.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
So Japan Sinks 2020 is on Netflix right now.

TBH, the number of things the lead family does that are excellent ways to get yourself killed in real emergency situations is annoying me.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Luciora

• Major
Gundam Build Fighters Re:Rise started airing again, new eps on Thursday.  Going into the backstory of the main character and his relationship with one of the AIs.
« Last Edit: 09 July 2020, 18:06:41 by Luciora »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
So Japan Sinks 2020 is on Netflix right now.

TBH, the number of things the lead family does that are excellent ways to get yourself killed in real emergency situations is annoying me.

Finished the second episode, and yeah, I'm done with this show.  Do not recommend.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

elf25s

• Major
ohhh how i waited for this and finally got it yesterday but of course universe the way it works i was not able to watch it till today
violet evergarden movie
loved it as much as anime...spoilers ...nope not gonna be that mean!
watch it it is so worth it...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Istal_Devalis

• Major
Deca-Dence gets a pretty high recommendation from me.
Nothing in it is original by a long shot, but it's all done with so much energy and panache I had a smile on my face the entire time. And I'm always in for 'Plucky Heroine with iron will'. I get a very Trigger vibe off of it, which is apparently not uncommon.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
Watched the first episode of Kanojo, Okarishimasu today. I think its going to be pretty good if they can keep the plot moving forward and keep it tighter than the manga.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

DarkSpade

• Major
Finished Danmachi's second season and movie.   The second Season was pretty good but I was surprised to see it didn't really have any kind of central story.  Each little bit was good on it's own though.  Also couldn't help notice the girl he's supposed to be in love with who inspires everything he does barely had any role. Again. Not a lot of dungeon in that season either.   I'm hoping we see more of the girl with the future telling dreams.  She's neat.   Hell of a spoiler in the open credits.

Season 2's blu ray also came with the 2nd OVA.  By the gods that was awful.  Lyu's judging the swimsuit contest was hilarious though.

I had read that I was supposed to watch the movie after season 2. That was horribly wrong. From what I read though, even the writer, by his own admission, wasn't that worried about continuity when he wrote it. He just wanted to tell Artemis' story.  Not a bad movie, but totally skipable.  I mean part of the enjoyment of the series is seeing everyone grow, but with the movie being little more than a throw away one off, there's not really any of that here.  It's comparable to a well written fan fic.

After reading the Lyu Manga, I really want to see all the waitress get to cut loose in the anime some time. Even if for just one episode.  Mia's bar may be the strongest force in the whole city.  ;D
« Last Edit: 10 July 2020, 21:18:10 by DarkSpade »

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Still following Gate's manga.  Lelei teaching the astrophysicists about higher spatial dimensions was amusing, and explaining what's going to happen to the gate itself was an interesting thing.  ...I could deal without the underwear extravaganza, however...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Istal_Devalis

• Major
SAO: Alicization - Jesus guys, didnt you ALREADY get in trouble for the repeated use of sexual assault as a cheap way of providing conflict? And now you're doing it AGAIN, adding tentacles to the mix, AND doing so to a character who's supposed to be a competent fighter? 

DarkSpade

• Major
Watched Shimoneta.  Had been avoiding it because I was expecting a lot of cringe worthy fan service, but I'm glad I gave it a shot.  Show kept me laughing the whole way through.

The blu ray comes with a special feature where a couple middle age moms and one grandma watch clips of the show.  The grandma was the least phased and actually seemed to enjoy the show.  ;D

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
SAO: Alicization

It's Reiki Kawahara's go-to drama button & he doesn't know any others. The leopard can't change his spots, & no one should expect SAO to get any better about it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Was Gun Gale Online written by someone else, then?

kato

• Captain
SAO:GGO was a professional spinoff for which Keiichi Sigsawa - the author of Kino no Tabi - was hired on. This - the professional preplanning, not the author - is also why GGO is very self-contained (virtually no character interaction) and plotwise complete (everything tied up at the end).

kato

• Captain
Is it just me, or is this season bleak as hell?

I mean, looking around, i find about five manga adaptions of manga i've .... well, not quite read, because they're mostly of the kind of quality where you want to drop them in a round bin and set them on fire after five pages (i'm looking at you, Peter Grill). I also find... uh, clones. Because, you can't tell me Deca-Dence doesn't rip off Attack on Titan, or that God of Highschool isn't a Korean attempt at a stealth rewrite of Tenjou Tenge in order to have something to publish for CR and the chinese market. There's a handful continuations, although mostly of franchises i'm not interested in.

Outside that, we've got two new romcom series with the at least slightly innovative target audience of single male college student. We've got yet another rehash of the girls-fail-at-witch-school theme, though with a failing attempt to go for an Aria-style setting. We've also got something airing this week that from trailers and plot hook looks like someone thought Blue Gender would be better with timetravelling Samurai animated by second-rate studios, and probably the less said about that the better.

Well, at least the cancelled fishing-bu anime from last season restarted and will pick up new episodes from end of this month.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Covid is still really rocking the schedule, Summer is usually one of the weaker seasons, & I assume most companies expect ReZero & SAO to suck up most of the atmosphere this season. The airing title list is still extremely short (only sixteen titles?!), but I do kind of agree with you that there aren't a lot of great choices So far it'll be No Guns Life, Re Zero, & Lapis Relights for me.

No Guns Life was rad the first time around & has hardly missed a beat coming back, I'm interested to see where Re Zero goes now that they benched Rem, & despite being a mobage adapation from a nobody studio, Lapis Relights looks great so far & I'm really digging the yuri dungeon-crawling magical girl idol concept they've successfully concocted from genre salad!  :))

kato

• Captain
The airing title list is still extremely short (only sixteen titles?!)
TokyoMX (as the primary source of new titles) has around 5-6 timeslots for anime per day, a bit more on sundays. About 50% of that is filled with reruns this season, usually i think it's more like 25%.

They also started pulling out classics to fill the schedule and replace cancelled stuff last season, starting with DBZ six weeks ago and now adding Inuyasha.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
It's Reiki Kawahara's go-to drama button & he doesn't know any others. The leopard can't change his spots, & no one should expect SAO to get any better about it.
Looking into it, apparently this wasnt Kawahara's fault this time. The novel was abstract about it. It was the anime producers who went for the tentacle rape scene.
I also find... uh, clones. Because, you can't tell me Deca-Dence doesn't rip off Attack on Titan, or that God of Highschool isn't a Korean attempt at a stealth rewrite of Tenjou Tenge in order to have something to publish for CR and the chinese market. There's a handful continuations, although mostly of franchises i'm not interested in.

Outside that, we've got two new romcom series with the at least slightly innovative target audience of single male college student. We've got yet another rehash of the girls-fail-at-witch-school theme, though with a failing attempt to go for an Aria-style setting. We've also got something airing this week that from trailers and plot hook looks like someone thought Blue Gender would be better with timetravelling Samurai animated by second-rate studios, and probably the less said about that the better.
New to anime? :D

To be blunt, you eventually reach a point where you figure out there is very little ACTUAL originality in anime. You will see the same plot points and setup repeated over and over with minor variations on the theme. It's mostly the execution of those themes we're tuning into. (Also, Deca-Dence looks to be inspired by stuff like Chrome Shelled Regios more then Attack on Titan. I'm sure other's can list earlier examples of 'Humanity survivors in giant moving fort' but that's the one that immediately springs to mind. Also, Deca-Dence is actually GOOD and not the grimderp whateveryoucall of it Titan)

kato

• Captain
To be blunt, you eventually reach a point where you figure out there is very little ACTUAL originality in anime.
Counter-example: Fumetsu no Anata e, coming in October.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
To be blunt, you eventually reach a point where you figure out there is very little ACTUAL originality in anime. You will see the same plot points and setup repeated over and over with minor variations on the theme. It's mostly the execution of those themes we're tuning into.

And, to be fair, that's true for practically all mass-market media.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
And, to be fair, that's true for practically all mass-market media.
In anime I see it mostly coming in sporadic waves, and we are definitely now on the low end.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships