Author Topic: IndustrialMechs and Neurohelmets  (Read 1908 times)

Moustacherie

• Recruit
IndustrialMechs and Neurohelmets
« on: 17 April 2023, 23:42:09 »
I am in the process of constructing a character who uses a CattleMaster for farm work. According to Tech Manual, page 63:
...a lot of IndustrialMechs -- unlike BattleMechs -- make little to no significant use of neurohelmet-assisted balance support. The driver of an IndustrialMech relies entirely on manual control instead...
However! In ATOW, page 295, it says in a footnote:
**Neurohelmets are required to safely operate BattleMechs, IndustrialMechs and aerospace fighters. Without a neurohelmet, a pilot suffers a -6 Piloting Skill roll modifier, and must make Piloting Skill rolls even when turning at walk/Safe Thrust.

My question is... IMechs, does the pilot need a NH or not?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Re: IndustrialMechs and Neurohelmets
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2023, 00:46:00 »
I am in the process of constructing a character who uses a CattleMaster for farm work. According to Tech Manual, page 63:However! In ATOW, page 295, it says in a footnote:

Best we can answer is "sometimes", I think.  I'm not aware of any Tech Readout or sourcebook that expressly spells out which IndustrialMechs require neurohelmets and which ones do not, at least not directly.

I searched Tech Readout: Vehicle Annex, and couldn't find any mention of the word "neuro", so no help there.

Tech Readout: Irregulars on page 36, under the Inquisitor's entry, mentions that Corporal Elishin Luwin repainted an Inquisitor named the "Blue Boy", and then suffered near-fatal neurohelmet feedback that ended his career.  So, we can presume that the Inquisitor needs a neurohelmet, which kind of makes sense, since it's a SecurityMech.  That's the only mention of the word in the book.  With that said, I don't think the helmet the Exo pilot is wearing on page 17 looks like a neurohelmet or, if it is, it's a fancy one, but YMMV.

Personally, I'd probably argue that any IndustrialMech with Advanced Fire Control requires a neurohelmet, and that it's probably optional on all the others, but that's just me.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2023, 11:40:49 »
I'd call that accurate, Giovanni. IndustrialMechs meant for combat duty likely require a neurohelmet interface, while those built for industrial work likely make them optional-to-unnecessary.

- Herb

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2023, 09:30:34 »
In the specific case of the Cattle Master,  would lean toward needing a neurohelmet to allow more careful handling of the livestock.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2023, 09:41:03 »
In the specific case of the Cattle Master,  would lean toward needing a neurohelmet to allow more careful handling of the livestock.

So the Mechwarrior doesn't steer them wrong?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2023, 09:55:38 »
Heh... more so the driver doesn't kill any accidentally.

Angrii

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 22 April 2023, 10:00:09 »
So to avoid a Lennie Small situation...makes sense.
Welcome to interesting times

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 22 April 2023, 10:07:58 »
Exactly!  :thumbsup:

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2023, 19:12:04 »
I am in the process of constructing a character who uses a CattleMaster for farm work. According to Tech Manual, page 63:
However! In ATOW, page 295, it says in a footnote:

Rules rule. What I nudged into p. 63 to emphasize the robotic, fairly smart nature of 'Mechs (to cooperate with p. 42-43's description of how BattleMechs were controlled) is fluff only. The rules say 'Mechs of any form suffer badly without neurohelmets. The rules stand until errata'd.

But speaking of errata...

"Neurohelmets are required to safely operate BattleMechs, IndustrialMechs and aerospace fighters. Without a neurohelmet, a pilot suffers a -6 Piloting Skill roll modifier, and must make Piloting Skill rolls even when turning at walk/Safe Thrust."

I thought they were optional in aerospace fighters, and the impact on industrial 'Mechs for poorly-trained civilian pilots should be less. I guess an errata would be...

"Neurohelmets are required to safely operate BattleMechs, and to better operate IndustrialMechs and aerospace fighters. Without a neurohelmet, a Battlemech pilot suffers a -6 Piloting Skill roll modifier, and must make Piloting Skill rolls even when turning at walk/Safe Thrust. Industrial 'Mechs suffer a -2 on Pilot Skill rolls, while aerospace fighters suffer a -2 on initiative."

How's that sound?

« Last Edit: 27 April 2023, 19:34:21 by cray »
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2023, 19:15:54 »
Glad to be on the right side of right!  :)

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
« Reply #10 on: 04 June 2023, 12:45:43 »
In our games any 'Mech can be set into Maintenance Mode:

1. No Neurohelm required
2. All weapon systems (or tools) locked
3. 1 MP (total)

For IndustrialMechs we do the same as already suggested for combat: -2 to all piloting rolls.
Big ideas and gaming outside the box. #Gametavern proprietor. Plus Ultra.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 04 June 2023, 16:05:50 »
I'd have to look it up (and I'm probably going to write a Sarna Essay about the issue one day) but I think you don’t need a neurohelmet for regular driving. Any tech can walk a 'Mech into a hangar or secure it into a 'Mech bay using manual controls and the DI computer.
Requiring piloting skill rolls at -6 for turning at walking speed seems excessive.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 04 June 2023, 17:16:51 »
Agreed... -6 on a 2d6 roll is extremely punitive.