Author Topic: Robinson Standard BattleMechs and the DCMS  (Read 6857 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: Robinson Standard BattleMechs and the DCMS
« Reply #30 on: 02 October 2018, 21:53:07 »
When you talk about what was on Caph during wave 3, is this from the War of 3039 Historical?  I'd like to reread what you are talking about.

Best,

Mad

Yes.  39 Historical is the reference.

Though possible, I don't think that particular data is in Heir to the Dragon or 20 Year update, which are the only 2 other sources covering Wo39 to my knowledge.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 03 October 2018, 12:34:34 »
Wow, just reread that listing of units on Caph.

I get the Ryuken are supposed to be good, and that there are two units sent to Caph, one Elite, one Veteran.

On Caph waiting for them is:

3rd Crucis Lancer RCT: Elite
33rd Avalon Hussar RCT: Veteran and 4 battalions of mechs
Davion Assault Guards RCT Veteran and 4 Battalions of mechs
Wolf Dragons Alpha Regiment:  Veteran
Gamma Provisional: Veteran
Delta Provisional: Regular
Epsilon Provisional: Veteran
Zeta Battalion: Elite

So you can't even say this is a quantity vs quality argument.  Ryuken are good, meet other good troops in FAR greater numbers, should get wiped out or suffer 80% casualties.  That is almost more insulting than not then jumping to Quentin with that battlegroup, then stationing all of Wolf's Dragoons with the Assault Guards on Quentin, in perpetuity.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 03 October 2018, 13:10:03 »
Wow, just reread that listing of units on Caph.

I get the Ryuken are supposed to be good, and that there are two units sent to Caph, one Elite, one Veteran.

On Caph waiting for them is:

3rd Crucis Lancer RCT: Elite
33rd Avalon Hussar RCT: Veteran and 4 battalions of mechs
Davion Assault Guards RCT Veteran and 4 Battalions of mechs
Wolf Dragons Alpha Regiment:  Veteran
Gamma Provisional: Veteran
Delta Provisional: Regular
Epsilon Provisional: Veteran
Zeta Battalion: Elite

So you can't even say this is a quantity vs quality argument.  Ryuken are good, meet other good troops in FAR greater numbers, should get wiped out or suffer 80% casualties.  That is almost more insulting than not then jumping to Quentin with that battlegroup, then stationing all of Wolf's Dragoons with the Assault Guards on Quentin, in perpetuity.

Well you are making sound better than it was for the Ryuken.  First of all, the Dragoons together weren't 5 regiments; they were described as still being in the process of recovering from the 4th SW.  Secondly, the 2 Ryuken regiments dropped on one F-C regiment's base.  When reinforcements came, they did fight out of trap to go smack yet another garrison base around.

So yeah the Ryuken were hit with the surprise of being badly outnumbered, pressed the attack anyway and barely prevailed... it's not like 2 regiments actually faced 8 regiments in total, much less at any one point of the raid.. in fact they had a local 2 to 1 advantage in numbers for two key phases of the raid. The stiffest moment they ever faced was "only" 10 mech battalions, and that was what precipitated the withdraw of their attack on the first base. Still 6 to 10 is hardly a disaster that's impossible to believe they managed to withdraw from.
« Last Edit: 03 October 2018, 13:17:24 by Tai Dai Cultist »

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #33 on: 03 October 2018, 13:44:49 »
cleanup
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 18:55:49 by Easy »

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 03 October 2018, 15:07:10 »
This isn't going to go anywhere productive.

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #35 on: 03 October 2018, 15:20:34 »
cleanup
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 18:55:11 by Easy »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #36 on: 10 October 2018, 02:04:42 »
Well you are making sound better than it was for the Ryuken.  First of all, the Dragoons together weren't 5 regiments; they were described as still being in the process of recovering from the 4th SW.  Secondly, the 2 Ryuken regiments dropped on one F-C regiment's base.  When reinforcements came, they did fight out of trap to go smack yet another garrison base around.

So yeah the Ryuken were hit with the surprise of being badly outnumbered, pressed the attack anyway and barely prevailed... it's not like 2 regiments actually faced 8 regiments in total, much less at any one point of the raid.. in fact they had a local 2 to 1 advantage in numbers for two key phases of the raid. The stiffest moment they ever faced was "only" 10 mech battalions, and that was what precipitated the withdraw of their attack on the first base. Still 6 to 10 is hardly a disaster that's impossible to believe they managed to withdraw from.

The Provisional Regiments were probably 50% which when combined w/ Zeta gives you 2 regiments or so + Alpha & toss in the Oversized RCTs & HQ units & your probably looking at 700 mechs or so.

The "local" advantage was still against an RCT packing 3 regiments of tanks, that should have been enough to hold balance the 2nd Ryuken regiment.

But as you pointed out, only 10 battalions faced them at the worst point but why only 10?  How That still leaves 8-9 Battalions that didn't get mobilized.  Once you knew they were there why aren't battalions dropping 3 deep in every direction surrounding them with another 2 regiments in orbit waiting to drop on them wherever they put towards.

I know, I'm probably expecting too much there, lol.   But really, getting off that world with IIRC just Light/Moderate damage was pretty unrealistic.

However that isn't my real issue, as I said above, how you have those 8 units 1 jump away but they never mobilize to take Quentin back once you loose it, that is the real crime to me.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo