Author Topic: SLDF Armor formations in 2750  (Read 1357 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
SLDF Armor formations in 2750
« on: 01 October 2018, 13:43:16 »
Do we have any idea what the numbers of armored vehicles were for various levels of armored/mechanized formations in the SLDF before Aramis struck?  Any organizational notes from recent books I may have missed?  Trying to dig up a bit of information for a SLDF armored formation that missed Kerensky's meet up.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

ravensword

• Sergeant
Re: SLDF Armor formations in 2750
« Reply #1 on: 01 October 2018, 18:29:34 »
According to FM:SLDF, armor organization is close to BattleMech organization:  4/3/3/3/3/3 up to Division size.

Regiments are formed of only one type of tank (all Demons, all Alacorns, etc).

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 01 October 2018, 19:25:18 »
SLDF tactics - it’s cool, we’ll get more

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2018, 23:12:40 »
Alright, so would a regiment be all the same tank- like the Royal Von Luckner, or would it mix some?  where would you get unit structure mixing mechanized infantry with ISV/IFV and armored units?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #4 on: 02 October 2018, 00:03:17 »
Tank Regiments contain just 1 kind of tank as stated above, its a quote from SLSB that I think is repeated in FM:SLDF.

Infantry & Armor are not mixed in line regiments.

IMO, the closest you might get is the Independent Mech Regiments where you might have a Company a Infantry attached & also have a Company of Rippers.

I think attempting to "mechanize/mobilize" an Infantry Regiment is best shown by either flat out adding a Battalion of APCs to it, or going the BattleForce/4th SW chart route where "Mechanized" infantry regiments actually consisted of 3 different battalions, 1 Leg Infantry, 1 Motorized Infantry, 1 Light Tanks.   Only in this case I'd make it Light IFVs.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

ravensword

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 02 October 2018, 00:16:48 »
Alright, so would a regiment be all the same tank- like the Royal Von Luckner, or would it mix some?  where would you get unit structure mixing mechanized infantry with ISV/IFV and armored units?

You might see an oddball regiment that had two different tank types (in separate battalions, because that's how the SLDF rolls), but it's generally going to be all the same tank in a regiment.  The SLDF deployed 108 Alacorns together at the same time.  Ditto 108 Galleons in a light tank regiment.

You're not going to get infantry mixed with tank regiments below the level of an RCT, which in SLDF parlance is an ad-hoc formation of different regiment types.  You might see a long-standing RCT composed of two tank and two mechanized infantry regiments, which didn't officially exist on the SLDF organizational chart because most SLDF armor wasn't in permanent (divisional) formations.  I forget the number, but there was one SLDF armored division that existed for about 70 years as of the Amaris Coup and never made in on to the "official" rolls because all SLDF armored units larger than regiment size are technically ad-hoc units.  And most of the tank regiments don't make it on to the official rolls either.

Operationally, the SLDF would pull companies or battalions from separate regiments and deploy them together, but organizationally everything below Division level was a homogeneous unit type aside from RCTs and the supporting forces assigned to independent 'Mech regiments.  I don't think the SLDF ever assigned support units to individual tank regiments like they did to independent 'Mech regiments.