Author Topic: Question regarding major worlds of some of the Great Houses  (Read 3547 times)

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
I’m working on a little side project, and I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to provide me with a list of the 10 most important worlds of the CapCon, the FedSuns, the DracCom, and the LyrCom. Maybe a little blurb (a sentence or two at most) as to why.

Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: 02 October 2018, 19:50:42 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Question regarding major worlds of some of the Great Houses
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2018, 19:56:01 »
It's gonna end up being a poll as to which worlds people think are the top 10, but I don't mind participating.  Gimme some time to put something together.

Question: any reason you're asking for 4 Houses but not Marik?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2018, 20:30:53 »
A totally subjective list for the most important worlds owned by House Kurita:

Draconis Combine
Luthien: Aside from the importance imparted from being the imperial capital, the so-called “Black Pearl” is again doubly important to House Kurita as being one of the most industrialized worlds in the Inner Sphere.
New Samarkand: Industrialized ancestral home/birthplace of the Draconis Combine and the current home of the ISF.
Galedon: Very populated/industrialized world; capital of the Combine’s oldest and most anti-Davion region.
Dieron: Regional capital and living testament to the Combine’s ability to ultimately impose its will over those of Terran-based empires.
Benjamin: Regional capital of the nexus of the Combine and decently important economically.
Rasalhague: Former capital of independent Principality, regional capital, and exceptionally important economically.
Algedi: Home planet of the Azami sub-culture of the Combine.
Pesht: Red-headed stepchild of the regional capitals, but still one of the most populous/developed worlds in the Combine.
Al’Nair: Fabulously rich in mineral wealth- important factory world whos output (particularly Scarborough’s hovertanks) disproportionally defines the DCMS’s preferred “feel”.

Bonus mini-list: worlds shared over the chronology between Houses Davion and Kurita:
Marduk: One of the best socio-industrial levels outside of Terra and home to some of the most prolific mech factories in the Inner Sphere (although not in Hesperus’ or Luthien’s league on the latter…)
Quentin:  Not as populous/developed as Marduk, but still fantastically wealthy in mineral riches and home to another prolific mech factory.
New Avalon: Because nah-nah-nah-nah, nah-nah-nah-nah, hey-hey-hey, goodbye! The DCMS took it from the AFFS.

I'd put Schuyler and Midway up as honorable mentions due to their naval importance, but the game isn't about space battles.  And Irece too, but despite having a fantastic socio-industrial development rating it was never really important until taken by the Clans.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2018, 20:58:43 »
Question: any reason you're asking for 4 Houses but not Marik?

They’re the House that I find the least interesting and thus I excluded them from my project. :)
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: 03 October 2018, 12:11:06 »
Do you have a particular year in mind? Or a general type of importance?
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #5 on: 03 October 2018, 19:33:01 »
They’re the House that I find the least interesting and thus I excluded them from my project. :)

Boooooo! I'm going to provide a list of Marik worlds anyway.

ATREUS:  Capital of the League, it is also the home of important aerospace and naval construction facilities, and two important FWLM training facilities in the Atreus Officer Training College and the Athene School of Combat, the League's premier infantry and battle armor academy.

ORIENTE: The beating heart of the Duchy of the same name, Oriente lacks any heavy military industry but is part and parcel of House Marik's political bloc in Parliament and fields a massive BattleMech force for a province - 12 regiments in 3057 - which makes it an important brick in the League both politically and militarily.

IRIAN: Irian is home of the eponymous mega corporation, which produces interstellar media, industrial and commercial products, battle armor, and BattleMechs.  The company runs the planet, giving it wide discretionary powers and immense influence in Parliament.

KEYSTONE:  The envy of Irian, Earthwerks' facilities on Keystone are the single largest Mech manufacturing center in the Free Worlds League.  Not only is it prolific, but also varied, producing a comparatively wide selection of Mechs.

ANDURIEN: Despite its fractious nature, the capital of the Duchy of Andurien is ruled by the politically powerful and savvy Humphreys family.  Despite the failed secession of the 3030s, the Humphreys maintained their wealth and power and in the chaos of the Jihad were able to successfully withdraw from the League.

REGULUS:  The Princes of Regulus have traditionally been opponents of House Marik.  Regulus itself is an important trading hub, and Regulans are known for their financial prowess.  It lacks any heavy industries, but Aiutaki Academy produces excellent MechWarriors.

KENDALL:  Kendall is a heavily industrialized planet on the Periphery border.  Facing constant raids from pirates and Marians, its Mech and tank factories make it a valuable prize, and its distance from the main centers of military power make it difficult to defend.

STEWART:  Similar to Oriente, Stewart has been a long time ally of House Marik in the internecine Parliamentary battles of the League and indeed the Stewart's and Mariks intermarried in the early 3000s.  Stewart is the home of Corean Enterprises, an important Mech manufacturer, and a small but well-equipped Mech brigade in the form of the Stewart Dragoons.

TAMARIND:  Rarely a power player in League politics, Tamarind is nonetheless an important world.  This is due in large part to its naval industries, producing JumpShips, JumpShip sails, and in the 3050s, WarShips.  In the Jihad, it climbed to further prominence due to the secession of Therese Marik and her loyal followers against the False Thomas Mariks.

KALIDASA:  Kalidasa is a key world along the League-Lyran border.  Site of Kali-Yama, which produces Hunchbacks and Orions (and later on, the Perseus OmniMech), it is also a key member of the Silver Hawks Coalition, whose small provincial military ranges wildly in quality but is quite fierce in its patriotic fervor.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 04 October 2018, 07:00:00 »
Lyran Commonwealth

Tharkad - Capital, Home to several Major Factories (Mechs, Aerospace, Dropships, Literally almost anything) as well as the Prestigious Nagelring Military Academy

Coventry - Industrial World, Regional Capital, A battle on it helped spawn the Second Star League

Hesperus II - The MAJOR Industrial World so much so that there have been more than 25 battles to take it using everything from Warships to Covert Ops and it only fell once

Alarion - Home to the Port Sydney Yards, sole source of Jumpships and (later) Warships in the Commonwealth, also a Regional Capital for the far flung and much underappreciated Alarion (later Buena) Province

Skye - Major Dropship and vehicle production, A Regional Capital, as well as a Hotbed of Dissent against the Archon on many occasions

Furillo - Another Industrial Center, Manufacturing Aerospace Fighters and Battlemechs, Rich in Natural Resources, Run by one of the Steiner family branches

Donegal - Home to the Marsden Dynasty (the First Line of Archons) as well as many smaller industrial manufacturers

Solaris VII - The Gladiator World, fantastic plots typically originate here and it makes the Commonwealth a lot of money

Galatea - The original Mercenary World before Outreach

Arc Royal - Home to the storied Kell Hounds which I personally dislike for being Marty Sues but they have saved the Commonwealth on enough occasions that people like them.  Later it became an Anti-Clan (and Katherine Steiner-Davion) Bastion as the head of the Arc Royal Defense Cordon.

Federated Suns - This one is a tough one since they have so many worlds

New Avalon - The Capital, Home to the Davion Clan as well as several Battlemech and Aerospace Manufacturers (Corean, Achernar, and Lycomb-Davion) as well as the NAIS and Albion War College.

Quentin - When it wasn't captured by the DCMS (way to drop the ball Hanse) Independence Weapons was one of the larger industrial centers in the Federated Suns

Kathil - Home to the Kathil Shipyards which produce Jumpships and Warships as well as a General Motors Factory and likely dozens of other smaller industrial concerns

Galax - The Heavy Aerospace industry in the Federated Suns is concentrated here.  It is the home of the Armstrong Flight Academy which has a long history of excellent alumni.

El Dorado - One of the Golden Worlds of the Federated Suns it is home to some of their finest universities as well as a GM plant

New Syrtis - Capital of the Capellan March and eventually as distaff branch of the Davion Family.  It is a pit of vipers and the Duke here typically is at odds with the First Prince.  It is also home to the Warrior's Hall (A military academy), the New Syrtis Shipyards which make dropships, and later Johnston Industries

Robinson - Capital of the Draconis March and one of the most stalwart supporters of the First Prince (when he fights the Combine), it has a storied history with the DCMS.  Home to the Robinson Battle Academy and Robinson Standard Battlemechs it is a major player in the security of the realm and is frequently rewarded for that loyalty.

Panpour - Challenge Systems despite their many structural problems (or covert contracts) manufactures the Monolith Jumpship a true beast that enables the widespread Federated Suns to engage in regular FTL commerce.  Additionally the Kallon Industries Plant there is one of the lynch pins in the Suns' defense in depth against their typical foes (CapCom and DraCom).

Crofton - A major player despite it's location in the Outback the StarCorps Factory here is the most productive of any of their various far flung branches.

Kentares IV - The Federated Suns would not be what it is without Kentares IV, the DCMS massacre galvanized the population to fight them back and it is still a rallying cry.  The Opening Blows of the FedCom Civil War were also here.  It is one of the most historically important places in the whole Realm even if it lacks manufacturing or advanced research institutions.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #7 on: 04 October 2018, 21:46:36 »
Do you have a particular year in mind? Or a general type of importance?

General, really.

Icerose20

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 08 October 2018, 03:24:18 »
The Cappelan Connipition

Sian-Capital of the Nation, Hellespont Industries, Hellespont Mech Works, Saroyan Special Projects (Tangressor ASF), Ceres Metals

Liao-Homeworld of the Current Chancellors, but not industrialized

St. Ives-Commonality Capital, Geres Metals, Hildco Planetary, Mujika Aerospace, StarCorp Industries, Tengo Aerospace

Sarna- Tengo Aerospace (ASF and Dropships), and Sarna Military Academy.

Tikonov- Earthwerks Incorporated, Ceres, Grand Union Battleworks, Harcourt Products, Lebedev Nautical Enterprises

Styk- Tao Mechworks

Necromo-Shipbuilding Center of the CC, dropships repair and jumpship shipyard, Eventually Warship production till the Robes came by.  Dead World After Robes said Hello.

Victoria-Star League Research Center, later industrialized after the 4th Succession war.

Betelgeuse- WH Kamata Home, Lost of industries  (and a very very big red ball of plasma, and possible great place to watch a supernova)

Iracundus

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 08 October 2018, 03:42:42 »
In the "current" 3145 era, I would replace Necromo with Chesterton.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 08 October 2018, 08:18:08 »
 Ingersoll is possibly one of the most important strategic assets the Capellan Confederation owns.

Mecha-Anchovy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 09 October 2018, 23:19:07 »
In the "current" 3145 era, I would replace Necromo with Chesterton.

Is Chesterton meaningfully a Capellan world, in any sense? It's still occupied and facing resistance, right?

Anyway, as regards the original post, I guess I'd like to ask what measures of 'importance' you're using here? Industrial importance? Population? Military or strategic value? Symbolic or spiritual value?

Iracundus

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 10 October 2018, 16:39:26 »
Is Chesterton meaningfully a Capellan world, in any sense? It's still occupied and facing resistance, right?

Anyway, as regards the original post, I guess I'd like to ask what measures of 'importance' you're using here? Industrial importance? Population? Military or strategic value? Symbolic or spiritual value?

Chesterton has always been an inalienable part of the Capellan Confederation.   :D

The fact the Capellans remember still means it holds significant ideological value outstripping its actual material value.  A Chancellor even offered to drop claim to First Lord of the Star League in return for Chesterton.  Its ideological and historical significance is like Kentares IV in that regard.
« Last Edit: 10 October 2018, 16:41:00 by Iracundus »

Mecha-Anchovy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 11 October 2018, 06:10:35 »
Chesterton has always been an inalienable part of the Capellan Confederation.   :D
The fact the Capellans remember still means it holds significant ideological value outstripping its actual material value.  A Chancellor even offered to drop claim to First Lord of the Star League in return for Chesterton.  Its ideological and historical significance is like Kentares IV in that regard.

That illustrates two points nicely, though, right?

Firstly that perceptions of which successor state a world belongs to can differ widely, to the extent of being outright delusional.

Secondly that a world's sentimental value can massively outstrip any practical value it has, either in terms of the resources on it or its strategic utility. Chesterton is at least a reasonable built-up and valuable world; Kentares IV is really famous, but aside from being the planet where that one thing happened that one time, there is nothing remarkable or special about it.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 11 October 2018, 09:58:18 »
That illustrates two points nicely, though, right?

Firstly that perceptions of which successor state a world belongs to can differ widely, to the extent of being outright delusional.

Secondly that a world's sentimental value can massively outstrip any practical value it has, either in terms of the resources on it or its strategic utility. Chesterton is at least a reasonable built-up and valuable world; Kentares IV is really famous, but aside from being the planet where that one thing happened that one time, there is nothing remarkable or special about it.

Kentares IV isn't basically the Space Alamo, it's exactly the Space Alamo.

Mecha-Anchovy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 12 October 2018, 02:06:47 »
Kentares IV isn't basically the Space Alamo, it's exactly the Space Alamo.

I'm not American, I don't know what the Alamo is.

Last stand of some Texan soldiers against a Mexican invasion, I think? I'd have thought any Kentares comparison should be about a civilian massacre.

Iracundus

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 13 October 2018, 00:30:54 »
My first thought when I first read about Kentares IV decades ago was Space Nanjing, especially since it was the Combine doing it.  Not "just" a civilian massacre but one done in deliberately unnecessarily cruel face to face fashion.
« Last Edit: 13 October 2018, 00:41:17 by Iracundus »

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #17 on: 14 October 2018, 08:32:09 »
My first thought when I first read about Kentares IV decades ago was Space Nanjing, especially since it was the Combine doing it.  Not "just" a civilian massacre but one done in deliberately unnecessarily cruel face to face fashion.

I’d agree with this comparison.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 14 October 2018, 13:00:07 »
Comparing the massacres themselves is not the point at hand.... the continuing relevance/contribution of the locale of said massacres is what's under discussion.

And looping back to that: The Alamo is a pretty pointless in a practical sense beyond being a place to buy souvenirs.  Its primary relevance is being a cultural icon.  In other words... just like Kentares IV.  Hence the claim: "Kentares IV is the Space Alamo".