Author Topic: Question About Kuritans and Swordfighting  (Read 12813 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: Question About Kuritans and Swordfighting
« Reply #60 on: 11 November 2018, 20:21:17 »
Yeah, and in a pinch you can use a sword to clean fish.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #61 on: 11 November 2018, 23:14:36 »
Yes, but they're not as iconic or attractive as a sword.  ;)
There are ceremonial maces too.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #62 on: 12 November 2018, 02:32:07 »
Maces and morningstars come from 2 common civilian families: large stick and farm implement.

A dedicated military item like an axe can look and act very different from a civilian one in balance, hitting power, endurance.... The difference with swords is what has been pointed above: swords can ONLY be used to kill people while other weapons have secondary uses. Or their cousins have. Oh, and swords tend to be more expensive. Or at least were more expensive when first introduced since they required all that straight metal. Not a real argument anymore given our tech base, but at the time it was quite important and turned swords into status symbols of the warrior and the rich.

ranting now. In any case, a vibrokatana or wakisashi looks great for a universe like BT. This is how they will appear in my universe if I ever use one for combat. In a wedding you carry your 300 year old weapon. In your cockpit it is a high tech item that can help you exit the cockpit even if the hatch is jammed.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #63 on: 12 November 2018, 09:49:02 »
ranting now. In any case, a vibrokatana or wakisashi looks great for a universe like BT. This is how they will appear in my universe if I ever use one for combat. In a wedding you carry your 300 year old weapon. In your cockpit it is a high tech item that can help you exit the cockpit even if the hatch is jammed.
Or you can just get a machete or survival axe for less than a third of the price. Only the Vibroblade might actually help you get out of a cockpit, maybe-Wakizashi isn't going to do crap for that, even if it's a better choice than the much larger Katana.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #64 on: 13 November 2018, 23:41:37 »
Look, if we WANTED practical, would we be IN BattleTech?   ;D
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #65 on: 13 November 2018, 23:49:57 »
Considering the discussion has turned to the practicality, or lack theorof, of a Katana in a cockpit or a theoretical survival situation post-ejection... Yes. Very much yes.

I actually like facepalming at and pointing out the weird, random stuff that happens in Battletech for no reason other than 'cuz rules' or 'rule of cool', such as the sheer absurdity of the Atlas AS7-K's lack of DHS.
« Last Edit: 14 November 2018, 00:02:25 by Caedis Animus »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #66 on: 14 November 2018, 00:56:52 »
The single heatsinks on the AS7-K weren't for "coolness" (nice pun), they were because the Combine allegedly couldn't produce enough double heatsinks and chose to focus that production toward outfitting already over-sinked ASFs without doing anything to improve those ASFs' firepower, armor, or thrust.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #67 on: 14 November 2018, 02:06:08 »
Thanks seems to go against the Evil Overlord trope of the combine. It disappoints me.

Vibtoweapins carried by kurita MechWarrior a are a thing in my BT universe after this thread. Will introduce them shortly in my RPG campaign.

haesslich

• Lieutenant
« Reply #68 on: 14 November 2018, 09:23:03 »

Yes, because if we weren't, we wouldn't be dealing with interstellar wars using people and instead would be doing info war or nuking while planets.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #69 on: 14 November 2018, 19:26:15 »
The single heatsinks on the AS7-K weren't for "coolness" (nice pun), they were because the Combine allegedly couldn't produce enough double heatsinks and chose to focus that production toward outfitting already over-sinked ASFs without doing anything to improve those ASFs' firepower, armor, or thrust.
Eh, that was meant more as 'weird' and was a bad example.

Jonathan Cyr

• Recruit
    • Baron Munchhausen's Home for Retired Adventurers
« Reply #70 on: 30 November 2018, 09:38:06 »
Playing Battletech as an RPG as well as the TT, our characters use swords and hand-held weapons all the time. They are quieter than grenades and they are allowed on planets or on board jumpships, etc. when the normal handgun, riffle or rocket launcher isn't.

Recently, a party member got into a head-butting contest with a biker in an elevator, while a second biker pulled a .45 revolver on another. Our hero quick-drew her vibro-katana and cut the dude's arm clean off! I had elevator music playing the entire time from my laptop.  Epic scene!  ;D
"When I was 16, I drove a J-27 ordinance vehicle behind enemy lines, looking for units in need. We found units alright! Luckily they were just as low on ammo as our side." - SFC Oleg Berkovsky

"Don't let her size fool you. She can kick the balls off a bull in zero-G." - Capt. Rachel Emmons referring to Trini Bez.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: 30 November 2018, 19:12:50 »
Gm's discretion really doesn't mesh too well with the topic, as 'cool' as that may be for some people.