Author Topic: Shimmering Sword Art  (Read 20358 times)

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
Shimmering Sword Art
« on: 26 November 2017, 04:24:43 »
Not official (yet), but Shimmering Sword has been posting his line-art of the Classics and finally reached 'Mechs we haven't seen yet:

https://shimmering-sword.deviantart.com/art/Battletech-Rifleman-716552617
https://shimmering-sword.deviantart.com/art/Battletech-Archer-716891035
« Last Edit: 26 November 2017, 15:38:17 by Bosefius »

abou

• Captain
Re: Re: Shimmering Sword Art
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2017, 10:05:52 »
Not official (yet), but Shimmering Sword has been posting his line-art of the Classics and finally reached 'Mechs we haven't seen yet:

https://shimmering-sword.deviantart.com/art/Battletech-Rifleman-716552617
https://shimmering-sword.deviantart.com/art/Battletech-Archer-716891035
Sick!
« Last Edit: 26 November 2017, 15:38:47 by Bosefius »

mrbooth

• Warrant Officer
Re: Shimmering Sword Art
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2017, 16:38:23 »
Check out his gallery added the stinger as well.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2017, 17:12:20 »
Wow, very cool O0

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2017, 05:09:27 »
I love the new art

And I also hate it for certain MegaMek related reasons
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2017, 07:10:33 »
Always love Shimmering Swords art :) And love these Une..rese..Nu..Mechs!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 27 November 2017, 16:49:40 »
He posted the Phoenix Hawk today.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2017, 17:14:30 »
He posted the Phoenix Hawk today.

Oh Sweet Heavens YES!!!!
Gawd! Does that look beautiful...

:::Hopping HG gets their legal asses nailed in court:::

Direct link...

Wildonion

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm just a few onions short of a patch.
« Reply #8 on: 27 November 2017, 20:40:01 »
I love how he managed to make the Ostscout look; it is heads and shoulders above the original art. Hopefully we see similar results with the rest of the Ost designs! All that said though? I really need to get my hands on that Rifleman.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #9 on: 27 November 2017, 21:01:56 »
Is it wise idea to post them before their officially published?  It's bad enough that HG causing trouble preventing them from coming out. :(
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: 28 November 2017, 01:39:37 »
Is it wise idea to post them before their officially published?  It's bad enough that HG causing trouble preventing them from coming out. :(

I tend to agree, but he goes to great pains on DeviantArt to point out he had received permission from CGL to do so... though because they haven't been posted in a book yet is why this thread was moved by the mods to the fan-art section.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #11 on: 28 November 2017, 06:54:51 »
I tend to agree, but he goes to great pains on DeviantArt to point out he had received permission from CGL to do so... though because they haven't been posted in a book yet is why this thread was moved by the mods to the fan-art section.
If he getting permission that could possibly mean two things.  1) the images aren't canon anymore due to lawsuit, there no point of keeping them under wraps. 2) another form of advertising, since there no products coming out that would have these images included. 

I hope i am wrong with the first one. Second one would make sense since Succession War series is over, their focusing on new products further in the time line.  Combat Manual didn't sell well enough, so they won't be released in them.  Succession Wars would been perfect product for them, but law suit. *sigh*
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 28 November 2017, 15:37:47 »
And...
He's posted one of the earliest 'Classics': the Marauder!

If he getting permission that could possibly mean two things.  1) the images aren't canon anymore due to lawsuit, there no point of keeping them under wraps. 2) another form of advertising, since there no products coming out that would have these images included. 

I hope i am wrong with the first one. Second one would make sense since Succession War series is over, their focusing on new products further in the time line.  Combat Manual didn't sell well enough, so they won't be released in them.  Succession Wars would been perfect product for them, but law suit. *sigh*

I'd say he got CGL's ok.
Considering he's putting up all of his 'Classic' work, including the non-Macross Unseen.
« Last Edit: 30 November 2017, 14:11:23 by Tymers Realm »

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #13 on: 28 November 2017, 16:27:08 »

Interesting point, I'm really not one to speculate, but maybe it means CGL is optimistic about the legal fiasco. Why would they give them more ammo to use in the case otherwise?
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 30 November 2017, 14:09:32 »
well apparently, he had to re-post the Marauder for some reason. So I'll have to edit the link I listed up-thread.

But now he's up loaded the Shadow Hawk!
And to be honest, I like the head design for its Classic form.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #15 on: 30 November 2017, 15:42:49 »

so no 3rd or 4th SW Historicals?

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 30 November 2017, 16:02:09 »
so no 3rd or 4th SW Historicals?

I think Wrangler ment TRO: Succession Wars, in this case. Because of the HG trolling, the Macross-inspired Classics were left out. Maybe when everything goes against HG, we can see a TRO: SW revised?

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 30 November 2017, 16:18:21 »
but all of those titles have used the new CGI-ish art style (in the case of the 2 historical's, the TRO sections)... unless we're gonna get different designs for a hypothetical 3rd & 4th SW Historical?

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 30 November 2017, 17:52:25 »
You've got to remember that most of the Unseen/Reseen have been Classic'ed. That also includes the Dougram and Crusher Joe Mechs. Also apparently not all the Unseen/Reseen got done this time. Shimmering Sword, in a reply to a question in the Ostscout's feedback area, mentions he didn't do a Ostroc or Ostsol in this first batch of Classics.

And IIRC, there were only two Macross-Inspired Mechs between 1SW and 2SW's TROs: the Valkyrie and Wasp. Everything else was non-Macross Unseen/Reseen.

And to be clear, I believe Wrangler was talking about Technical Readout: Succession Wars, not the mini-TROs that were in 1SW & 2SW. As to if we see historicals on 3 & 4 SW, that'll depend on the new guys in charge.

« Last Edit: 30 November 2017, 18:07:20 by Tymers Realm »

mrbooth

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 30 November 2017, 17:56:51 »
Still missing T Bolt, Wasp, and Valkyrie. Would also love to see the Crusader and Madarauder II if he is going to release in seen images.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #20 on: 30 November 2017, 18:03:18 »
Think it was stated that the Mad II wasn't including in the Classic overhaul. As for the others, I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 30 November 2017, 18:09:35 »
Well I figure he'll put up the Thunderbolt, Valkyrie, and Wasp since they've been published.

I only mentioned about no Ostroc and Ostsol since Shimmering Sword stated that himself on DA.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #22 on: 30 November 2017, 19:12:10 »
These are awesome...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Wildonion

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm just a few onions short of a patch.
« Reply #23 on: 30 November 2017, 20:44:20 »
I only mentioned about no Ostroc and Ostsol since Shimmering Sword stated that himself on DA.

That's disappointing to read. I had hoped to see the whole line revitalized! I always thought they needed the most work out of any of the unseen/reseen designs.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #24 on: 30 November 2017, 21:21:19 »
Maybe it was funded/authorized yet.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 30 November 2017, 22:07:15 »
That's disappointing to read. I had hoped to see the whole line revitalized! I always thought they needed the most work out of any of the unseen/reseen designs.

Well here's his actual reply:
Maybe some day I'll hit the others, but understandably, the osts are of rather low priority.
It isn't a definitive 'no', just a 'not right now'.

Considering, IIRC, the sculpt for the Catapult that's gonna be in the GoAC box is gonna be a new visual redesign in line with the Unseen/Reseen Classics. That tells me that more than just the Unseen/Reseen are getting this visual overhaul. What Shimmering Sword is putting up could be round 1...

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 01 December 2017, 00:24:58 »
why mess with the Catapult? The latest mini is FINE as is...?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #27 on: 01 December 2017, 12:25:56 »
To bring it on the same level.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 01 December 2017, 15:55:42 »
Well...
The Thunderbolt is up!

I do have to admit, I think Shimmering Sword nailed it with all the Dougram-Inspired Classics so far. It'll be interesting to see what he does with the quads.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #29 on: 01 December 2017, 17:21:36 »

It's fine for 1985, and those of us who are used to it. It isn't fine for current standards, especially for potential new customers who may be discovering BattleTech through the video games.

Well...
The Thunderbolt is up!

I do have to admit, I think Shimmering Sword nailed it with all the Dougram-Inspired Classics so far. It'll be interesting to see what he does with the quads.

So what's left? Wasp, Valkyrie, Scorpion, Goliath, and Longbow, with the Osts, LAMs, and Marauder II later?
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP