Author Topic: HABeas2  (Read 36523 times)

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
  • You messed with the wrong fast food CEO.....
HABeas2
« on: 31 August 2011, 14:20:11 »
This man never checks his personal messages does he? I sent him two at different times and I haven't gotten a response back from either. Is he some sort of an important individual or something?
"Is it better to be feared, or respected? And I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark, Iron Man

Sid

• Lieutenant
Re: HABeas2
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2011, 14:21:36 »
This man never checks his personal messages does he? I sent him two at different times and I haven't gotten a response back from either. Is he some sort of an important individual or something?

He's the Line Developer for Battletech.

I.e, he's head of Battletech development for Cataclyst.  Above Herbie you have Randall Bills, who is the Line developer for all of Cataclyst (Leviathans, Shadowrun and Battletech etc.).  Above Randall you have TOPPS, I believe, the owners.

« Last Edit: 31 August 2011, 14:23:53 by Sid »
Formerly known as 'Phad'

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2011, 14:23:12 »
 ;D

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2011, 14:23:59 »
He's the Line Developer for Battletech.

I.e, he's head of Battletech development for Cataclyst.  Randall Bills is the Line developer for all of Cataclyst (Leviathans, Shadowrun and Battletech).  Above Randall you have TOPPS, I believe, the owners.
Oh.  :-[ I see. So like, if I wanted a story or a mech to become canon, I'd have to go through him?
"Is it better to be feared, or respected? And I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark, Iron Man

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2011, 14:24:38 »
;D

So no, not that important  right Cap?  :)
Formerly known as 'Phad'

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2011, 14:25:20 »
More the guy who runs the kennel.

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2011, 14:25:25 »

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2011, 14:26:14 »
More the guy who runs the kennel.
Whoa. See I thought he was just another global moderator or something. I had no clue THAT was what he did....

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2011, 14:27:04 »
Oh.  :-[ Like the Top Dog of top dogs?

Yup.

Those "Yellow Stars" you were arguing with earlier (They used to be stars.  Their Avatars are Yellow Battlemasters) are the authors who write the books.

Red Battlemaster (such as JadeHellbringer) are moderators.

The Orange ones are 'Commandos' (responsible for demonstrating Battletech at stores and conventions) and purple are webmasters (as I recall).  That's DeathShadow and Roosterboy.

I think that's all.  Gideon is green, not sure what his is.  Something important anyway  (Shadowrun maybe?).
Formerly known as 'Phad'

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2011, 14:27:35 »
Oh.  :-[ I see. So like, if I wanted a story or a mech to become canon, I'd have to go through him?

Or you could just shout it at the rocks.  Pretty much going to be the same answer.  I think if he took every suggestion to make a 'Mech cannon, the next book would be out in 3050.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2011, 14:28:50 »
LOL sorry I didn't know......

No blood, no foul.  Y'all who are without sin, etc.  We are easily amused.

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2011, 14:29:59 »
I heard that Herb's cat is actually between Herb and Randall in the chain-of-command.

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2011, 14:30:17 »

You can try. But we generally don't solicit material from the fanbase. On occasion, we do seek opinions through polls but we do not take requests for units, personalities, designs, or other material.
Eh.

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 31 August 2011, 14:30:25 »
Or you could just shout it at the rocks.  Pretty much going to be the same answer.  I think if he took every suggestion to make a 'Mech cannon, the next book would be out in 3050.
I see. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that this man's time is EXTREMELY precious. Thanks for the heads up!

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #14 on: 31 August 2011, 14:30:51 »
Gideon is green, not sure what his is.

CGL staff.

There's also blue for Admins and white for Developers.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #15 on: 31 August 2011, 14:31:24 »
LOL sorry I didn't know......

Just be glad you weren't nuked.  It's happened before...   #P :o :o

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 31 August 2011, 14:32:11 »
You can try. But we don't generally don't solicit material from the fanbase. On occasion, we do seek opinions through polls but we do not take requests for units, personalities, designs, or other material.
Okay well for example. How did the Timber Wolf mech come into you guys' office? I didn't drop from the sky. SOMEBODY had to be responsible for that mech's creation.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 31 August 2011, 14:35:47 »
Okay well for example. How did the Timber Wolf mech come into you guys' office? I didn't drop from the sky. SOMEBODY had to be responsible for that mech's creation.

Someone working for FASA at the time. CGL employees and freelancers will come up with the new material.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

GhostBear

• Minister of Assimilation, TOG Empire
  • Captain
  • And....out.
    • One world at a time...
« Reply #18 on: 31 August 2011, 14:35:59 »

Just an FYI, if you have a question you'd like an official answer to, you need to post it here for the Developers or here for a writer.

This one I'll do as a freebie: it was designed by developers back in the FASA days around 1990. Well before Herb and my time with BattleTech.
Eh.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 31 August 2011, 14:36:07 »
They have developers in house.  Overworked, underpaid and well-loved.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 31 August 2011, 14:36:38 »
Timber Wolf was a) FASA-era, and b) an in-house design.  Catalyst does not solicit individual designs and/or fluff from the fanbase.  They have writers for that.

Oh wow, triple post before I finished. :P
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #21 on: 31 August 2011, 14:38:30 »
I used my MASC to post that one.  ;)
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 31 August 2011, 14:39:05 »
TSM here.  Running a little hot today.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 31 August 2011, 14:57:17 »
Someone working for FASA at the time. CGL employees and freelancers will come up with the new material.

Actually, Virtual World Entertainment. Steve Venters did that one, and several of the others.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 31 August 2011, 15:00:58 »
CGL staff.

There's also blue for Admins and white for Developers.

Thanks Rooster.  So I got the Web admin right?  Was never quite sure on you to be honest.  I know you maintained that amazing online repository and often check continuity... errata... catching all those small holes.

Oh wow, triple post before I finished. :P

No kidding.  All the stars...er...battlemasters have descended upon us.  Run!

Pretty much.  The so-called 'canonization' is, I believe, frowned upon by Herb.  FASA used to do it quite a bit, to the point they were everywhere, so he used the 'Jihad' arc as an opportunity to 'clean house' (I believe was how he put it).  It still happens- the writers, from what I've gathered, try to sneak things into their works.  A nod to their friends, or a private joke.  He doesn't catch them all the time.

Other than that, it's special circumstances.  A Con game occurred where a Hell's Horses tank took out a binary of Wolf 'mechs...which I admit...is pretty epic.  It got a reference. 

The people that do make it in are people that:

a) Contribute to the game and the community.  Playtesters and factcheckers for example (there's a waiting list) and need to sign contracts called Non Discloser Agreements that promise they won't divulge any sensitive information (upcoming work etc.)
b)  The contribution is done to help people out.  They are not seeking any sort of reward or recognition for it.  These people due it to be nice, and out of love for the game. 
c) Again, are not looking for anything in return.  Especially canonization

Wombat, for example, is usually found in the Mechwarrior's Hall.  She's become sort of a mascot for the forums.  Makes avatars for people, helps them out.  Posts...ungodly amount usually.  She built up 30k posts on the old forums over a few years.  Albatross was always willing to help people connect and get into the game- ran a website and was a really great guy.  He passed away suddenly, and he's missed.  So...the yellows on here were nice enough to write in a reference to him as a tribute and thank you.

In the end, that's all the canonization is.  A way to say 'thank you' to the people that go above and beyond and earnestly help out the game and people in general...for no pay, or acknowledgement.

Or spite.  TanekaFury used to be around here (haven't seen him of late, sadly).  He was a Smoke Jaguar fan, and ended up in the books as a Nova Cat  ;D

That's another thing:  Canonization isn't all that it's cracked up to be.  I doubt I'll ever see a 'Sid' or a 'Phad' in the books.  Probably a good thing too- he'd likely be a Wolf (in Exile) (Ugh) that rants and dies in some embarrassing session.   :-\

Formerly known as 'Phad'

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 31 August 2011, 15:03:03 »
Actually, Virtual World Entertainment. Steve Venters did that one, and several of the others.

Paul

The ones that did the Virtual Pod game?

How is that still 'in house' then?  And the Timber wolf was described in detail in Blood of Kerensky which dates back to...'89? '90?

Or am I thinking of the wrong company?
Formerly known as 'Phad'

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #26 on: 31 August 2011, 15:08:17 »
IIRC the pods date back to 88 or 89.  I remember hearing about them in college and it was that time period.  I was always hoping to try one out but never got the chance.   :'(

Mechwarriorfreak

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 31 August 2011, 15:13:11 »
Just be glad you weren't nuked.  It's happened before...   #P :o :o
Thats very funny. All I was doing was asking a simple question. Which I doubt is gonna be the reason for me getting "nuked".  8)

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 31 August 2011, 15:13:40 »
The ones that did the Virtual Pod game?

How is that still 'in house' then?  And the Timber wolf was described in detail in Blood of Kerensky which dates back to...'89? '90?

Or am I thinking of the wrong company?

Because while the dude worked for the pod company, the art was bought and owned by FASA. So it's squarely part of the BT IP.
FASA licensed BT to the pod company.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Blackjack Jones

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 31 August 2011, 15:16:39 »
Thats very funny. All I was doing was asking a simple question. Which I doubt is gonna be the reason for me getting "nuked".  8)

He's referring to the perception that Mr. Beas fixed a lot of what was wonky with the WizKids-era description of the Jihad with large quantities of nuclear devices.
It's something of a running joke here.