Author Topic: Story line help  (Read 6924 times)

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
Story line help
« on: 04 September 2011, 23:58:09 »
OK I'm working on a 3090's story arc and would like to know if this is a bit much.

a small periphery power (and Colony/Client State of one of the Big 4) in the last days of the Jihad had a small and non combat operational (but repairable) WoB warship jump in to one of their major systems, due to the bad way it was in the Youkles where able to take it. after assigning a few well known War Criminals to EVA duty without the benefit of a space suit and locking up the rest of the cure Dirt Side they set upon the ship taking everything that wasn't bolted down, then the next day they came back with shifting spanners, allen keys and pry-bars for anything immediately useful and had bean back many times since when they needed something either to use or sell for hard currency.

once the dust had settled from the Jihad and they realised their was a half striped Warship just sitting out there in the Periphery would the big boys let them keep it, considering the country doesn't have the industrial or economic means to restore it and their inclination seams to be the reverse with them parting it out to pay their taxes to the mother country and otherwise keep their economy afloat?

or would the Stoner's and/or House Lords try to buy it off them or just be done with it and blow the darn thing up?

Freak

• Sergeant
Re: Story line help
« Reply #1 on: 05 September 2011, 06:49:33 »
In my own opinion if the Warship was damaged to the point that it couldn't hold off a boarding party, couldn't jump away and was then getting repeated strip mined for parts, what would be left floating in space wouldn't be worth the effort of doing anything with.

Post Jihad the number of shipyards that are able to handle Warships is depressingly small, most of the Great Houses can't even properly repair their own right now so unless they could somehow get it to Terra or the Outworlds Alliance, who can fix it? As for a Yardship, they're kinda in short supply right now, something tells me they're not going to take a trip out to the Periphery for a gutted hulk when there's plenty of work closer to home.

Besides, if the locals are already breaking it down then there's no need to worry about them rebuilding it and trying to use it. Realistically I think the most action any of the big powers would take is to assign an operative to monitor the situation. If things change they're more likely to try sabotage to remove any threat rather then salvage.
The only guarantee in life is that it ends.

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 05 September 2011, 07:35:42 »
to clarify the timeline, when it jumped in the LF batteries where dry, battle damage had rendered it non-combat operational, but could be retuned to marginality operational status in a few days to a week and near fully operational in a month or so, but soon after jumping in, not well enough to stand up to a small flotilla of Dropships. come 3080 a number had bean done on it, but near Hulk status is still a decade away (the "Now" of the story arc).

so you think the Big Boys will let them have it and pick up the choice parts when they show up on e-bay?

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2011, 07:47:43 »
I would think they would investigate then deside if it was salvagable. If it can be saved they would take it, if not they would destroy it to make sure no one else could use it.

You should add in the larger Periphery powers as well, Taurians and MoC would definately want it. Heck even the Marians could show intrest, imagine what a crown jewel a warship would make for them.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 05 September 2011, 08:50:58 »
3080 ish when it became widely known and confirmed by those who had received reports previously, perhaps one of the big boys could make a go of it, and it is a ways out, but not a 2nd tier power. All the 2ndary weapons bays have bean striped out as has the Fire Control for the Capital Weapons bays, as have some of the Cap Missile launchers (the small nation has Frankensteined together a couple of "Torpedo Boats" for their own defence), many of the key Data systems have bean striped out and installed in government offices (the MoD ended up wit a nice Holo Tank out of the deal), stuff like that.

Edit: if they did act how soon do you think it would be? would it be PDQ or do you think they would wait till the locals had got most of the good stuff off and put it on the market?
« Last Edit: 05 September 2011, 08:52:57 by Drop Bear »

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #5 on: 05 September 2011, 09:19:40 »
House's would react quickly, why let anyone take parts you would have to replace or let another House get to it first.

I would not under estimate Taurian intrest (unless it's closer to the Lyran or IS Clans), they have one warship and at least would be intrested in it for parts.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2011, 10:37:49 »
The biggest fear will be people looking for parts, no one really has the capability to really salvage a hulk and take it with them. Maybe if some power shows up and sets up shop for the long term and try, maybe just maybe it might be rebuilt and put back into service. But for whatever nation tries it would be long term and expensive.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2011, 18:45:02 »
Sounds like just another scrap heap to me. I don't see a house unit going after it but if they are already there and need a new ride to get out, I can see them taking it.

Some RotS commandos on a Wobbie hunting mission may like the idea of grabbing a warship sense their navy would still be at the add-hock stage but would have the resources to repair it once they got the ship home.

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 05 September 2011, 20:51:34 »
Best bet is to turn it quickly into a recharge station or some other space borne facility that people wouldn't feel the need to attack. Destroy the engines or scrap them too much for more than station keeping use. It would probably remain untouched then, epsecially if the the world it orbits is willing to see the non-essential parts off to whoever has the C-Bills.

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 05 September 2011, 21:21:46 »
Well what they aren't using themselves either hits the open market, or is shipped off to the Mother Country to pay their Taxes (instead of hard currency occasional they send big crates marked "Omni Fighter", "Big Friking Laser", "Capital Missile Launcher", "Warship Parts" or "We Don't know what it is but it looks Expensive") or to buy what they need to either become their own nation or rejoin the mother country without being a burden.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2011, 21:26:28 by Drop Bear »

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: 05 September 2011, 21:26:59 »
Sounds like Pirate bait to me! ;)
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
« Reply #11 on: 05 September 2011, 21:49:47 »
Sounds like Pirate bait to me! ;)

That, or a repeat of the White Wings of Vandenburg. Plenty of powers that would rather deny such an asset to everyone.

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

tapdancingbeavers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 05 September 2011, 23:35:48 »
I don't see how it could be fully operational within a month or so.  It was in fairly bad shape when it jumped in, has been stripped of any parts useful to the periphery power and is in a time when there are better things to spend money on than getting a warship in the periphery operational.  Didn't the Jihad greatly damage most nations ability to build and repair warships as well?  Imo it's main use would be for parts to get other warships running rather than as an extra vessel.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 05 September 2011, 23:55:54 »
Look at the FWL, WoB pointed them at abandoned battle damaged ships and they were able to get them up and running. For an Inner Sphere power it would be harder but not undoable. But it all comes down to distance, expense, and desire.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #14 on: 06 September 2011, 06:37:28 »
Look at the FWL, WoB pointed them at abandoned battle damaged ships and they were able to get them up and running. For an Inner Sphere power it would be harder but not undoable. But it all comes down to distance, expense, and desire.

Yes, but the FWL also had the advantage of warship-capable shipards, a near-unlimited defence budget and WoB backing with vested interest - something nobody has post-Jihad.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Register