Author Topic: HABeas2  (Read 36521 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: HABeas2
« Reply #120 on: 01 September 2011, 01:36:04 »
although thinking the well being of the inner sphere depends on CGL's staff being relaxed and well rested frightens me.....

Relax! The well-being of the inner sphere depends on CGL's staff being overworked, under considerable time pressure, and being taunted by specially selected members of the fanbase. For special occasions, we get overseas manufacturers involved to ensure the stress levels never have a chance to drop!

W   ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #121 on: 01 September 2011, 03:16:43 »
But, If you stop and think, the game's rules have been around for quite some time, and haven't changed THAT much. But we're still seeing designs that have some odd things about them that make them less than their "full potential." But, that they've been around so long, and that we're still seeing designs along those lines, doesn't that say to you that these choices are intentional? That they want the canon mechs this way?
Personally, I'm in the "oh yawn, not another 'Mech" camp when it comes to new TROs. The uniqueness and character of individual designs has been diluted too much for my taste already by the plethora of designs churned out in the past 20 years, most of which never really have an impact on the game. Who needs yet another new 'Mech anyways, and a min-maxed optimized one (in the autor's opinion anyways) at that?
 :P
Plus, the very concept of OmniMech makes the whole point moot. Just take a suitable existing chassis and mount what suits your fancy. It's canonically legal.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

PeripheryPirate

• Warrant Officer
  • Your friendly neighborhood Periphery pirate!
« Reply #122 on: 01 September 2011, 05:03:41 »
Personally, I think with the upcoming change to TROs of "One per Year", they could do a GenCon tournement,
with the requirement of designs being made on the spot, with a series of requirements(Like, for example
"IS 75 Tonner, 5/8 with MASC, and mounting an Class 10 Autocannon") that the winner of the tournement
would get their design canonized. But with the lack of an up-to-date HMPro(the Official 'Mech design program),
I am sure they wouldn't be able to pull off the logistics of it

Even with HMP6, I would hate to be the one responsible for that tourney. It would be a nightmare to plan and a terror to execute effectively.

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #123 on: 01 September 2011, 08:17:16 »
<snip> have to nuke enough planets in a short time frame and eventually you'll get one with something nice by accident.
<snip>

Please, may I use this in my sig???
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #124 on: 01 September 2011, 12:26:46 »
Please, may I use this in my sig???
[Rommel, loosely]'Tis better to ask forgiveness then permission[/Rommel, loosely]
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #125 on: 01 September 2011, 13:32:41 »
[Rommel, loosely]'Tis better to ask forgiveness then permission[/Rommel, loosely]

Quite true, but I can at least say I asked  ;D
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #126 on: 01 September 2011, 14:06:23 »
Can't some of us approach his superiors with the idea of developing a TEAM of people who can approve of the designs? Herb could lead it, but the load of work could be shared.

Ok...hold on a minute.

I've been following this thread for a bit.  I have a question...and I mean absolutely no disrespect or ill intention with my post.  Are you actually asking if it would be proper to jump the 'chain of command' OVER the line developer of the game so you can get your personal customs published?  For real?

Serious question.  Have you read ANY of the other forums?

Your enthusiasm is commendable, but you may want to lurk for a while before posting anything more.  There are numerous threads about the rules of the board, submissions, Herb's role, everyone else's roles, etc. 

« Last Edit: 01 September 2011, 14:12:11 by M-Rex »

"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round...

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #127 on: 01 September 2011, 14:26:17 »
Regarding submitting stories to BattleCorps: A warning!

There is an aesthetic that the people in charge have publicly stated they adhere to. So, some stories, no matter how good or how invested you might be in their creation, will never be canon. And, then there's that hidden writers bible that us fans don't have access to which might conflict with something you have happen in one of your submissions.

Yeah. I've had both happen to me. BattleCorps and officiality or canonicity is very restricting. I've found I have less fun writing something for submission, though the process helps me fine-tune some of my stuff.

In the end, I find it more worthwhile to post stuff here for all to see for free. Anything I post here is just one more option for other players to add to their games. If they use it, great. If they don't, they obviously have a reason. But, it's there, in the name of fun.

That's why this is a game. So, if you think it's fun, ultimately, try it here. If you want to torture yourself over the BattleCorps submission process, I do recommend it for the feedback, if anything else. However, it's really a thin bottleneck, and chances of acceptance is actually pretty slim.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #128 on: 01 September 2011, 14:43:05 »
And, then there's that hidden writers bible that us fans don't have access to

No there isn't.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

wasp

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #129 on: 01 September 2011, 14:48:47 »
And, then there's that hidden writers bible that us fans don't have access to which might conflict with something you have happen in one of your submissions.

Do you mean this hidden writers bible http://www.battlecorps.com/BC2/static.php?page=5 that you can get to by clicking on the contact us tag on the bottom of the main battlecorps page?

Wasp

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #130 on: 01 September 2011, 15:48:05 »
Rommel?

Wasn't that Admiral Hopper?

Hersh67

• Captain
« Reply #131 on: 01 September 2011, 18:36:14 »

If that was Rommel, you might want to keep in mind that in order to ask forgivness, he had to swallow a pill.  Then, he was forgiven and in return, given a state funeral.  Talk about a tough Surkairede.

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
  • My blood runs the color of jade.
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #132 on: 01 September 2011, 19:49:24 »

There is an aesthetic that the people in charge have publicly stated they adhere to. So, some stories, no matter how good or how invested you might be in their creation, will never be canon. And, then there's that hidden writers bible that us fans don't have access to which might conflict with something you have happen in one of your submissions.

Yeah. I've had both happen to me. BattleCorps and officiality or canonicity is very restricting. I've found I have less fun writing something for submission, though the process helps me fine-tune some of my stuff.

In the end, I find it more worthwhile to post stuff here for all to see for free. Anything I post here is just one more option for other players to add to their games. If they use it, great. If they don't, they obviously have a reason. But, it's there, in the name of fun.

That's why this is a game. So, if you think it's fun, ultimately, try it here. If you want to torture yourself over the BattleCorps submission process, I do recommend it for the feedback, if anything else. However, it's really a thin bottleneck, and chances of acceptance is actually pretty slim.
If you can tell a good character-oriented story, adhere to the style guide, use metric, and don't use magic/supernatural stuff/non-existent technology, then writing for BC isn't that restricting.

Canonicity is pretty easy to nail down if you're paying attention. Things to keep in mind are:
1) Do a bit of research before you write your story, and you shouldn't run into any glaring problems (but if you do, the fact checkers are very helpful)
2) Write in a previously unexplored area of history. The Age of War, the first three Succession Wars, and the Clans post-KLONDIKE are just a quick example of large areas of undiscovered country just waiting to be mined.
3) Don't use established characters as protagonists. This is a quick way to continuity errors.
4) Don't go completely out into left field.
5) Don't burrow into one of the universe's big mysteries. Things like these are likely secrets that Herb & Co. already have plotted out.

If you can write a story based on all of this, then you shouldn't run into any problems.

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Twitter: @JoeChummer
Author Page
Official Website

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #133 on: 01 September 2011, 21:41:45 »

It may be restricting in some ways, yes. But it has to fit in with events at that point of time. I don't know what your stories about or why they were rejected, but you're not the only one to get rejected -- I've had several stories rejected over the years, and the Last story of the Proliferation Cycle took so long to complete, becuse the original story died in continuity and couldn't be rewritten to make it fit.

I have no assurance that any story I submit will be accepted by Jason S. But I do my research, and I do everything I can to fit the story into the Battletech universe seamlessly.

My suggestions:

* Small scope story -- forget trying to paint a huge story. For one, there isn't enough space for such a story (You have 5,000 - 8,000 words). For another, there's only room for two or three main characters, and maybe twice as many supporting characters. The characters need to have some character development. Concentrate on a Lance, not a Battalion or regiment.

* Use established units and 'Mechs -- Forget trying to plop your own unit into the Battletech universe right off the bat. When I have used units that weren't ad-hoc or not part of a military, I have used established units. Show you can work with the units already part of the universe before adding one of your own. Just be aware that some units are not useable for one reason or another.

And that goes for units like 'Mechs and vehicles. Don't load up the story with custom varients. There are twelve or so Warhammer varients out there. Depending on the era the story is in, chose one that is already canon. Every 'Mech and Vehicles I have written in a story has been out of a TRO. I may write a story that has a custom varient in it sometime in the future, but customs are the exception, not the rule.

* Don't try for a major change in the Universe. Whatever happens, the events in the story can't make major changes in the Battletech universe. The Main Character can win the fight, but not the war.

* Know the Universe. If you are setting a story in 3025 Free Worlds Leagure, you have to know the major players, the history, the current situation that are in place at this time. There is no way a Hellstar will appear in a 3025 story set in the Free Worlds League. You have to know the rank system if your writing about a house unit, the background of the state (As an example, Combine officers carry swords -- Katana and Wazshi (Sp) -- and have the mindset of a Samuari)

* Make sure the BC guidelines are followed. While it sounds like a no-brainer, if the format is sloppy, it distracts from the story. As with knowing the Universe, you have to show that you know that 'Mech names are italizied, that there's a Backwards ' in 'Mech, and that you follow the format. If the story is missing the formatting, then it's going to lose a lot of points.

* Tell a good story. That means action and conflict. Battletech is Space Opera with a grittiness. That means people die and things go boom.

Now, I have no idea how your stories are, or why they were rejected. Jason S. is the man who decides that. All I know is that he doesn't reject stories becuase he has a glut of them. All I can say is keep trying!

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

KeVinK

• Freelance Writer
  • Recruit
  • Storyteller
« Reply #134 on: 01 September 2011, 22:38:49 »
My first six stories to BattleCorps were rejected. At my best I was running about 50/50 acceptance/rejection. The market has strict standards, no question. But stories have to fit established canon if they're going to play fair with the readers. BattleTech <i>is</i> a game; and it works only when everyone respects the rules.
And there is no secret sourcebook. There's just 20+ years of sourcebooks, which means a lot of stuff to keep track of. BUT it also means an almost endless source of story ideas. Just keep joechummer's advice in mind, and look for something small and interesting to hang your story on.

My stories that were successful took small events from the various history books and expanded on them.
In 3034 the Killer Bees invoked their "no suicide missions" clause to break a contract, leaving Canopus units to face overwhelming Capellan forces on Andarmax. From that one-paragraph I wrote "Commitment."
In 3039 the Silver Hawk Irregulars made a smash-and-grab raid against the Lyrans on Alioth, expecting to find a supply depot. Instead they had to make do with the year's sun guava harvest. "Blitzernte" came out of that.
"Pitcairn Star" had it's origin in two sentences from the Outworlds Alliance section of the Periphery sourcebook.
"What I Remember Most" sprang from one of three versions of what triggered the civilian riot on Santiago that led to the Reunification War.
"Godt Bytte" connected a few dots that existed separately in sourcebook articles about the Jarn Folk, the Hansa, and the Oberon Confederation in the late 2900s.
I can think of only two published stories that took place during major events in the BattleTech universe. "Rock in a Hard Place" and "A Line in the Dust" were both written from the perspective of bit players who didn't have access to the whole picture.

However -- and this is important -- the majority of my <i>rejected</i> stories didn't make the grade because they violated canon. There is so much written about the central characters that it's almost impossible not to foul out when putting your own spin on one of them.
-- KeVin K.

"It's your dream; make it work." - Valerie K.
"Kevin is an incomplete ingrate." - Jason Hardy

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #135 on: 01 September 2011, 22:45:42 »
It's Kevin! Awesome!

Whatever he says, pay attention. If it doesn't immediately make sense, don't worry. It will. Soon. Pesky wisdom.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #136 on: 01 September 2011, 22:59:11 »
Whatever he says, pay attention. If it doesn't immediately make sense, don't worry. It will. Soon.
Our own pet Vorlon!
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #137 on: 01 September 2011, 23:01:05 »
So far, everything I have submitted to Battlecorps has been published, with one currently under review.  I attribute this to my choosing to not write about central characters or events.  I create my own, research the relevant places and times, and write.  It's easier to avoid conflicting with canon when you're not writing about someone else's characters or trying to carve your events into the established canon.  Come up with a good character, give him something interesting to do, and pretend like you're coloring - stay between the lines!  It doesn't matter how good your writing is if you can't keep out from underfoot of the established story.  Write small, write personal, and do your homework.

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #138 on: 01 September 2011, 23:07:34 »
Write small, write personal, and do your homework.
Couldn't have put it more succinctly myself.

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Author Page
Official Website

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #139 on: 02 September 2011, 07:24:59 »
What's the current wait time?  I submitted a story at the end of June.

jayhawk

• Sergeant
« Reply #140 on: 02 September 2011, 07:29:40 »
You can try. But we generally don't solicit material from the fanbase. On occasion, we do seek opinions through polls but we do not take requests for units, personalities, designs, or other material.

I just got this terrible feeling that XTRO: Hogarth may have been pushed. >:(
Major T.J. "King" Kong:
"Well, boys, I reckon this is it - nuclear combat toe to toe with the Roosskies. Now look, boys, I 'aint much of a hand at makin' speeches, but I got a pretty fair idea that something doggone important is goin' on back there. And I got a fair idea the kinda personal emotions that some of you fellas may be thinkin'. Heck, I reckon you wouldn't even be human bein's if you didn't have some pretty strong personal feelin's about nuclear combat.

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #141 on: 02 September 2011, 08:04:06 »
What's the current wait time?  I submitted a story at the end of June.
It's usually about 3 weeks on average to hear back (although once, I got a positive reply within a week of submitting). However, due to the surprise copyediting of Historical: Reunification War, Wars of Reaving, and TRO: Prototypes right smack dab in the middle of convention season, Jason got understandably swamped. But he will get back to you.

Author Page
Official Website

Kwic

• Sergeant
« Reply #142 on: 02 September 2011, 11:11:32 »
Mechwarriorfreak,

Another aspect of the game that you may very well consider (and has already been mentioned), is to post your design to the Fan Designs thread of this forum.  Although it may not be "canon" it will be appreciated by fans and may very well become "fanon".  Many good designs are added by fans to other Alternative Universes, or are included in fan published compilations.

I know that there are many players who frequent these other forums and consider adding these other designs to their own games.  After all many wise men have said, "whatever works for your game".

So if your intent is to get a design used by other players, these forums are a valid route to that end.  If instead you seek fame for having created an awesome design, again these forums are a valid route to that end as well.  However if you want to have your name listed as a writer or contributor to one of the official sourcebooks, you have a long road ahead of you.

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #143 on: 02 September 2011, 12:41:01 »
Whatever he says, pay attention. If it doesn't immediately make sense, don't worry. It will. Soon. Pesky wisdom.
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #144 on: 02 September 2011, 13:48:02 »
It's usually about 3 weeks on average to hear back (although once, I got a positive reply within a week of submitting). However, due to the surprise copyediting of Historical: Reunification War, Wars of Reaving, and TRO: Prototypes right smack dab in the middle of convention season, Jason got understandably swamped. But he will get back to you.
Thanks. O0

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #145 on: 04 September 2011, 00:18:23 »
Mechwarriorfreak,

Another aspect of the game that you may very well consider (and has already been mentioned), is to post your design to the Fan Designs thread of this forum.  Although it may not be "canon" it will be appreciated by fans and may very well become "fanon".  Many good designs are added by fans to other Alternative Universes, or are included in fan published compilations.

I know that there are many players who frequent these other forums and consider adding these other designs to their own games.  After all many wise men have said, "whatever works for your game".

So if your intent is to get a design used by other players, these forums are a valid route to that end.  If instead you seek fame for having created an awesome design, again these forums are a valid route to that end as well.  However if you want to have your name listed as a writer or contributor to one of the official sourcebooks, you have a long road ahead of you.

Heck, until the Jihad, I have had my own 'Mech factory. I am making its fall part of the current campaign for my group,
and part of the Jihad itself. My designs for it are not optimized, though the fluff is that they get licenses for limited runs of their own factory-grade modifications, and licenses for small production runs. That is one thing I always like about the universe, so try to work in: Nothing lasts forever...
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

omega2010

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #146 on: 04 September 2011, 20:33:48 »
No there isn't.
It's a bit hard to believe you when you call yourself the Precentor of Lies  ;).

That said I can see why you might not need a writer's bible.  Assembling a single book out of everything published would probably kill one of you when you tried to pick it up...
Who is driving?  OH MY GOD!  BEAR IS DRIVING!  How can that be?

Steve - They thought they could take the caps off all the markers and let them dry out. But there was one marker they never reckoned with.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #147 on: 04 September 2011, 20:47:36 »
That said I can see why you might not need a writer's bible.  Assembling a single book out of everything published would probably kill one of you when you tried to pick it up...

Cue Kindle ad..
Person1: "I bound all my BattleTech books in to this one, giant book.  UMPHHHH!"  *dumps giant book out of wheelbarrow, obscuring view of Person1*
Person2: "I carry thousands of books on my Kindle.." *shows off the slender Kindle from various angles*
Person1: *stepping out from behind giant book* "wow, can i see that?"
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Kamov

• Warrant Officer
  • It's time to end this ones and for all
« Reply #148 on: 04 September 2011, 22:15:35 »
And after Person1 gets themself a Kindle, cue Person3(me) stepping onscreen to say, "SOOooooo.... Can I have all those books you're not using anymore???" O:-)
(The above writing is entirely my opinion based upon my own incomplete knowledge of life, the universe, and everything beyond it and should be taken as such although I don't want to tell you what to do, because that's your right and your freedom to choose your own opinions and ablah blah blah legalese etc etc)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #149 on: 04 September 2011, 22:35:59 »
And after Person1 gets themself a Kindle, cue Person3(me) stepping onscreen to say, "SOOooooo.... Can I have all those books you're not using anymore???" O:-)

(4th person) I paint miniatures, got anything for THAT, genius?  ;D
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Register