Author Topic: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian  (Read 148567 times)

elf25s

• Major
Re: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian
« Reply #1320 on: 16 October 2023, 22:44:12 »
stupid question
when you re read  something few years later does the "flavor" of it changes in some way?
as i kid one of my favorite books was cyberiada and robot salies by stanislaw lem i read both in polish and english and when i re read them nearly 20 years later they seem to have changed same books same stories they just seemed different

i am re reading the original 6 dune books which i had not touched in nearly 23 years and its the same feeling
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #1321 on: 16 October 2023, 22:45:14 »
Started reading When Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Kay Penman. I have a love/hate relationship with Historical Fiction, but I'm going to give it a go. It is about one of my favorite periods in history: the 12th Century, & the Civil War between Empress Mathilda & King Stephen of England. Hoping it is not to disappoint

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1322 on: 16 October 2023, 23:18:02 »
stupid question
when you re read  something few years later does the "flavor" of it changes in some way?
as i kid one of my favorite books was cyberiada and robot salies by stanislaw lem i read both in polish and english and when i re read them nearly 20 years later they seem to have changed same books same stories they just seemed different

i am re reading the original 6 dune books which i had not touched in nearly 23 years and its the same feeling

That's pretty common.  You're not the same person reading the book as you were when you read it the first time, so you tend to see things in a different way than the first time.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1323 on: 17 October 2023, 13:30:53 »
That's pretty common.  You're not the same person reading the book as you were when you read it the first time, so you tend to see things in a different way than the first time.

Reference Matt Smith’s Doctor’s monologue during his regeneration to Peter Capaldi’s Doctor. It is one of the best speeches about this sort of thing I’ve ever heard.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1324 on: 18 October 2023, 16:54:49 »
I tend to miss things that I read in the past; I was reading a book about ancient Europe that stated the indo-Europeans invaded the Balkans using chariots and the defenders had arrows, but, alas, I couldn't find that anywhere in the book. 

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #1325 on: 25 October 2023, 10:11:11 »
Currently about 1/3 into The Hammer & The Eagle - Icons of Warhammer, which is an Anthology with WH40K and WH fantasy stories.  I admit, I bought it solely because it has a new Gotrek story!   :grin:  Though it's Gotrek in the new WH world, AFTER they/Chaos blew up the old one.   :undecided:

First 20 are WH40K, last 7 are WHF, at the end of each one they have a page pointing you towards a novel/anthology involving the Character(s) you just read about.  I've only ever bought WHF novels in the past, starting with some early Gotrek & Felix novels, then getting any involving Dwarves I could find.  Got the Sigmar trilogy because I thought the 1st novel involved Dwarves a LOT more than it did, but they're barely mentioned other than giving him his hammer.   :tongue:  Eh, still enjoyed it, and I've enjoyed the WH40K stories for the most part.
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1326 on: 12 November 2023, 16:46:18 »
Recently finished Bookshops & Bonedust by Travis Baldree. It’s a prequel to his novel Legends & Lattes. Reread the first one after I finished its prequel.

They call them High fantasy novels with low stakes. Highly enjoyable, and I’m not sure I can recommend them enough.

Also saw that Jim Butcher’s second Codex Alera novel is now out. Of course, I need to read the first one first.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #1327 on: 14 November 2023, 10:32:51 »
Barely into Aliens: Vasquez, and enjoying it!  Turns out Vasquez and Drake were in prison together (yes, Co-Ed prison, though cellmates were all same-sex), AND both joined the USCM to get out of prison.  Had to sign their lives away also, as in, the Corps had them For Life.  Which they did, Literally I guess.   :undecided:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #1328 on: 14 November 2023, 12:48:48 »
ok it had been 15 years since i even picked up a copy of any frank herbert dune books
so  i started to re read original dune..

silly question am i only one that when they re read a book after long time the "flavor" of the book changes?
not sure how to describe it but its like story feels its changed  in some way sometimes for the better or for worse?

I've always felt that it's less about the story changing and more about us re-reading them through the lens of many years of new experiences means that we take different things from them on re-read.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #1329 on: 14 November 2023, 12:54:51 »
Me, I just finished the 61st book in the Horus Heresy series. Now it must be said that, up to about book 50, it's been
- one-third competent genre fiction
- one-third rubbish genre fiction
- one-third gloriously written enthralling adventure in a genre universe.

When they get up to the Siege of Terra, the last 10 books or so, though - they only let the writers in the last third play. And they're damned good books. Not quite finished yet either ... the 62nd book comes out in November according to plan, and there's a feeling there'll be another one after that mebbe.

I do recommend starting from the beginning, if you can access the books. A LOT of thread-building & connection laying down happens in the beginning, and they are tying a lot of it together. THey're managing a great balance of dealing with real-world old lore, sometimes subverting it in interesting ways, sometimes playing to the base, occasionally even ripping up the old lore (after all, the 'lore' was written from the point of view some 10,000 years later.)

I got stalled somewhere around book 35, it felt like I hit a run of books that were all the middle type and lost interest waiting for them to get back to anything that looked relevant to the main plotlines. Are there any you can recommend as safe to skip if I have another go at them?
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #1330 on: 15 November 2023, 00:26:14 »
Barely into Aliens: Vasquez, and enjoying it!  Turns out Vasquez and Drake were in prison together (yes, Co-Ed prison, though cellmates were all same-sex), AND both joined the USCM to get out of prison.  Had to sign their lives away also, as in, the Corps had them For Life.  Which they did, Literally I guess.   :undecided:
To clarify, Vasquez and Drake MEET in prison, they didn't know each other before.  She was accused of killing a Police Officer, but he was actually shot by another Officer, who then blamed her.  No idea What Drake's "Crime" was.

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #1331 on: 17 November 2023, 09:40:41 »
First few chapters are about Jenette Vasquez, the rest of the book is about her twin children, Leticia (F) and Ramon (M).   :undecided:  When I first heard about it I thought it had more to do with her.  Maybe show us what she did as a Marine BEFORE going to LV-426.  Nope.   :tongue:

Still interesting read so far though!   :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1332 on: 17 November 2023, 21:47:52 »
Vasquez was also John Conner's Foster-Mom.

NightSarge

• Captain
  • Clan Coyote fan
« Reply #1333 on: 15 December 2023, 12:47:49 »
Reading Betrayal of ideals right now
"Nemo my name forevermore"
Nightwish - Nemo

NightSarge

• Captain
  • Clan Coyote fan
« Reply #1334 on: 30 December 2023, 07:16:11 »
Decision at Thunder Rift at the moment
"Nemo my name forevermore"
Nightwish - Nemo

ISD

• Master Sergeant
    • Project Mumblings
« Reply #1335 on: 05 January 2024, 07:27:09 »
Going through the BT novel bundle in timeline order, I started D.R.T. yesterday evening.
I’m not expecting much from this, as I didn’t enjoy the first mr Rose story that much. We’ll see.
Clan Jade Falcon
Gamma Galaxy
3rd Falcon Talon Cluster

Green Knight

• Recruit
« Reply #1336 on: 09 January 2024, 15:18:25 »
Atomic Habits. Now I'm trying to develop new habits, good habits, and this book is kinda helping.

Zematus737

• Sergeant
« Reply #1337 on: 09 January 2024, 16:15:43 »
Fiducia Supplicans, a Vatican press release [finished in two sittings. short.]

Fr. Gobbi's Blue Book, Marian Movement of Priests [took me about 3 months of reading.  Finally!]

The Justice And Necessity Of Taxing The American Colonies: Demonstrated. Together With A Vindication Of The Authority Of Parliament.  [a short read.  finished in one sitting.]

Next: A collection of state-papers, relative to the first acknowledgment of the sovereignity of the United States of America.

Currently working on:
*Now It Can Be Told by philip Gibbs [39% complete.  Def. not an easy read.  Better digested in chunks spread out long.]
*Spells and Chrome, Shadowrun [54% complete.  All Shadowrun seems to remind me of William Gibson fiction.  My favorite short story author is still Gene Wolfe, Lord rest his soul.]

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #1338 on: 10 January 2024, 01:10:04 »
Well, Gibson was a massive influence on Shadowrun, the original idea for the game could be summed up as ''what if we superglued Neuromancer and D&D together?''. I reckon his Sprawl trilogy is mandatory reading for anyone working on franchise.   
Shoot first, laugh later.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1339 on: 10 January 2024, 02:56:31 »
Well, Gibson was a massive influence on Shadowrun, the original idea for the game could be summed up as ''what if we superglued Neuromancer and D&D together?''. I reckon his Sprawl trilogy is mandatory reading for anyone working on franchise.   

Of course, when someone asked Gibson what he thought of Shadowrun he wasn't amused, didn't like the idea of adding fantasy ideas to cyberpunk at all.  A while back as an April Fool's joke CGL released a sell sheet for Shadowrun: Gibson edition, where man meets           machine.  Sadly it's no longer up on the Shadowrun website but archived copies are floating around.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Zematus737

• Sergeant
« Reply #1340 on: 10 January 2024, 13:33:41 »

I had always thought so!  But I never knew Gibson's perspective on Shadowrun.  There are some cringe moments, granted, but the universe really does grow on you.  Burning Bright remains one of my favorites so far.  To be fair, there is nothing out there on the level of Gibson that I have seen.  The only other author that makes you read between the lines so much was Gene Wolfe, except that Wolfe was almost cryptic and withheld information on purpose.  He didn't just scatter things around while looking in a different direction, he made you dig for it.  The Soldier in the Mist series was especially so.  But it's hard to recommend Wolfe, since he comes across as so dry to most who wouldn't bother applying the microscope to intentions and clues dropped by lesser characters that the protagonist glosses over or ignores.  Damn, I'll miss him..  But he left us the gift of reading his work over again and enjoying it that much more each time.  There are about 3-4 books of his I haven't finished, his most recent releases, that I have been saving for later.  Last year I finished the Sorcerer's House.

It's interesting to see the influences of Gary Gygax also.  I see a lot of this silliness in Jack Vance's fiction.  The lisps and flawed characters, the objects that occupy their interests.  Vance even lists a few of his own greatest influences in one of his last collections of shorts, the Jack Vance Treasury (2007): Jeffery Farnol, Lord Dunsany,  PG Wodehouse.  With special mention on Wodehouse.  I list them for anyone interested.  All three are available for free at the Project Gutenberg (gutenberg.org) for anyone with an ereader.  The entire collection of PG Wodehouse is also available in a zip at archive.org.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2024, 14:10:57 by Zematus737 »

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1341 on: 12 January 2024, 22:32:30 »
I really tried with Shadow-Run, but, alas, I like Cyberpunk 2020 more. The fantasy wasn't the reason; more like the rules-system.

I'm reading a book on the Celts; I don't like the ancient-Celts, but, I don't hate them either; I don't know much about them so I'm reading up on them.

greylok

• Private
  • "The One with the Anti-Dice Aura"
« Reply #1342 on: 04 February 2024, 16:38:16 »
I am at least 30 books behind on my "new" reading material, however have been hit with the nostalgia bug and have been revisiting my stored library

very recent ( last 3 weeks) consumption has been

Shattered Stars by Richard McEnroe
Armor by John Steakley
Rogue BOLO by Keith Laumer
Shadow trap (Formerly Caverns of Socrates) by Dennis McKiernan
A Talent for War by Jack McDevitt
Dragon Blood / Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs
Sacketts Land by Louis L'Amour
Thunderbolts of the Gods by David Talbott
Wrath of the Wendigo by Clay Martin
Concrete Jungle by Clay Martin
Glass Box by Michael Straczynski

And neither least nor last  This Was Easier on the Tabletop  by Chris O"Farrell
  complete re-read after pleasantly discovering his latest addition to the entertaining saga!!
« Last Edit: 04 February 2024, 18:10:20 by greylok »
"Wise enough to know how much a fool I am"

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #1343 on: 06 February 2024, 23:51:25 »
the BOLO series is ALWAYS a great read.
heck, vast majority of BOLO fanfiction is a great read.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1344 on: 10 February 2024, 16:36:54 »
i got bored a little went back to re reading timothy zahns star wars heir to the empire
still fun read after 30 years but i still enjoyed his original cobra trilogy more and black collar his tri rail series seemed a bit rushed in places
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #1345 on: 17 February 2024, 22:49:34 »
I've been re-reading the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant for the first time in about twenty years. Just finished book 2, The Illearth War. God, I love how bleak and desolate these books are. Even when the good guys win, they lose. It's also refreshing to have a main character who isn't a hero, but a pathetic loser who causes constant harm to himself and everyone around him.

I find hilarity in the repetitive situations where the characters are in trouble, and they beg Covenant to save them, and he replies, quite honestly, "I can't!' Then they get out of danger with some kind of loss, and make a point of forgiving him for not helping, even though he clearly does not have any ability to do so. Then he adds the weight of that guilt to his self-loathing, even though none of it was his fault.

There's a whole hell of a lot of allegory and metaphor in these books. They're a hard read, though, because of heavy exposition and info dumps written by an author who kept his thesaurus close at hand and consulted it often. Many readers can't get past one particularly despicable act that Covenant performs early on, despite its incredible importance to the story and its deep allegories, and the fact that he spends three books beating himself up over it. If you're one of those people who understands that it's fiction, then you can just roll with it and enjoy a good story. Well, there's still the endless Tolkien-esque descriptions of landscapes, but that's a product of its time. The books came out in the 70s.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1346 on: 18 February 2024, 21:43:40 »
git bored so i decided to re read cyberiada by stanislaw lem...in polish gods how my polish usage had deteriorated...i may have to re read few books in polish to get up to speed and flex my brain muscles faraon and w pustini i w puszczy seem to be next on my list over 2 weeks

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #1347 on: 21 February 2024, 07:53:18 »
The Inquisitor Cycle by Dan Abnett. This is the Eisenhorn + Ravenor + Bequin books and short stories. (last book is still pending).

Halfway through the Eisenhorn part :) Reading them in the recommended order by Abnett.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1348 on: 29 February 2024, 17:14:08 »
boy and his tank leo frankowski...fun romp through about a tank warfare and how thinking tank formed a relationship with its pilotand vice versa
enjoyed his conrad stargard series sadly he passed away before he could do the 8th book

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1349 on: 29 February 2024, 17:42:29 »
I hear "thinking tank" and it reminds me of Bolo.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Register