Author Topic: Lion class Combined-Arms Troop Carrier  (Read 2019 times)

willis

• Master Sergeant
Lion class Combined-Arms Troop Carrier
« on: 05 June 2019, 22:10:43 »
As the name of this post says it all, yet another take on the Lion. I have to say that this one dropship is the hidden gem in all of the dropships posted thus far. As you have seen in my numerous posts for the Lion, this can be used to replace the Czar, Triumph, Condor, Union, pretty much all of the existing troop carriers. Along with some different takes on the Universal bay and Advanced Capacity Bay that I came up with, has turned the Lion into a genuine combined-arms carrier.

With the Universal bay, it now can carry either a single mech between 60-100 tons or two mechs between 20-55 tons each. For example if the Lion carriers 24 Universal bays, this could carry 12 mechs (60-100 tons) along with 24 mechs (20-55 tons), pretty much a battalion.

If equipped with the Advanced Capacity bay, it could be equipped with 36 of them, one could transport 36 heavy vehicles (60-100 tons), 72 medium vehicles (30-55 tons) or a maximum of 144 light vehicles (5-25 tons). For the infantry, you could carry 36 platoons along with 36 light vehicles, a pure mechanized infantry regiment.

These also include options for battle armors and protomech/ultra-light 'Mechs too.

I have also thrown in come classic versions based on the standard cubicles
« Last Edit: 05 June 2019, 22:38:38 by willis »

willis

• Master Sergeant
Re: Lion class Combined-Arms Troop Carrier
« Reply #1 on: 05 June 2019, 22:38:15 »
Advanced BattleMech Cubicle
Mass: 165 tons
Capacity:
1 BattleMech (60-100 tons)
2 BattleMechs (20-55 tons each)
4 BattleMechs (5-15 tons each)
60 Battle Armor (any type)

Advanced Capacity Cubicle
Mass: 110 tons
Capacity:
1 Heavy vehicle (60-100 tons)
2 Medium Vehicles (30-55 tons each)
4 Light Vehicles (5-25 tons each)
4 Infantry Platoons (any type)

I think I will be modifying the Lion a wee bit....but that will be for tomorrow

willis

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 08 June 2019, 10:23:31 »
With the amount of posts I have made about the Lion, one would think I have a Lion class dropship for my head.. :D

This entry covers the combined-arms versions of the Lion, one with Inner Sphere tech, and the other one with tech used by the Royal Command of the SLDF.

The weapons for the Royal are a copy of the Clan version, and once added up, there is no additional mass, and the heat is slightly increased.

The transport cubicles are my take on the Universal Bay concept from Froggies Aerotech Depot, one being an advanced 'Mech bay, with the fluff to introduce the IS Protos from the Best of Future Wars Vol 1. The second is designed for conventional vehicles and infantry.

I have added in a handful of internal variants to the fluff, to expand the capabilities, the SLDF did not have armor as its own branch, and were attached to 'Mech and infantry formations, like Lord of the Rings....One DropShip to Carry Them All....I could do many more versions, but there would be a multi-page entry if I did. ;)

As I was designing this version, I found that the combat loads of the Gazelle, Lion, Condor, Union, Black eagle, and the Triumph and Overlord to a degree could be transported by the Lion.

As always, please feel free to use this, be it in a game, four own fan-fiction, just let me know what your think.. :thumbsup:

willis

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 08 June 2019, 15:39:33 »
All things have a beginning, and the Lion is no different.....I have did a version of the Confederate....being a test-bed for the two advanced transport bays, with some tweaking, hope ya like it >:D

willis

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 08 June 2019, 23:39:20 »
This is a modern version of the Black Eagle, made deadly for the Dark Age for the RotS

willis

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 09 June 2019, 19:37:28 »
This is a mini five dropship tech readout, the focus is on the stats, no fluff.
Let me know what you think.

« Last Edit: 09 June 2019, 21:13:33 by willis »

willis

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 10 June 2019, 20:19:36 »
Ok, where to begin, I have looked at the advanced bays, and I came to a few new ideas:
The Advanced BattleMech Bay can accommodate the following:

- One BattleMech, 20-100 tons (including BattleMech pilot)
- Five Battle Armor, 400-1,000 kilograms each (including 5 Battle Armor pilots)
- One Senior Tech and one Support Tech
- Weighs 165 tons
- Cost: 50,.000 C-Bills

The Advanced ‘Vehicle Bay can accommodate the following:
- One Heavy Vehicle, 55-100 tons (including 6 vehicle crew members)
- Two Light Vehicles, 5-50 tons each (including 6 vehicle crew members)
- One Senior Tech and one Support Tech
- Weighs 110 tons
- Cost: 30,.000 C-Bills

Now let us take the trusty old Lion, equipped with 12 advanced mech bays and 12 advanced vehicle bays, with a total combat load of 12 BattleMechs, three lances of mechs, along with 60 Battle Armors, three platoons of 20 BAs. One BattleMech + five Battle Armors.

Secondly let us take a look with the vehicles, the advanced vehicle bay can transport one 55-100 ton vehicle, or two 5-50 tons vehicles.

These advanced bays make a bit more sense that the previous versions.

Let me know what version of these bays make the most sense to you

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2019, 07:44:44 »
I definately like this, and the advanced bays make a LOT of sense.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Register