Author Topic: The Stinger in the Dark Age novel Scorpion Jar...  (Read 2583 times)

Alain Yanez

• Corporal
The Stinger in the Dark Age novel Scorpion Jar...
« on: 02 January 2012, 08:52:27 »
I had the distinct impression that the Stinger that was being described mounted two LRM launchers of 15 tubes.   Dredging up my memories of the Stinger...Twenty tons, 1 medium laser, 1 or two machine guns, 6-9-6 movement.   

Did I miss something?  (Is this related to the whole "the early guys violated the copyright on a bunch of Robotech stuff" issue?  Someone made a new Stinger that was a lot heavier?

Help, please.

monty

• Lieutenant
Re: The Stinger in the Dark Age novel Scorpion Jar...
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2012, 10:19:18 »
Haven't read the novel so I can't say for certain but I would assume that its a STG-5R Stinger which carries 1 medium laser & 2 Rocket Launcher 15's. It's a variant from TR Project Phoenix with a record sheet in RS3085 Unabridged - Project Phoenix.

I'm pretty sure its impossible to build a 20 tonner with 2 LRM 15's using IS tech. It can be done using clan-tech by dropping the speed to 5/8/3 but its not really a Stinger any more so I think the Rocket Launchers are a more likely answer. Are they described as one-shot weapons in the book?

Qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum.
Let him who desires peace prepare for war. (Vegetius)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2012, 10:22:37 »
I'm pretty sure it had Rocket Launchers from the description.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2012, 13:18:39 »
Yep, definitely rocket launchers.

Quote from: The Scorpion Jar, p144
He looked at his ammo readouts. One single-shot missile pack—the Stinger should have carried two, but the second pack had turned out, upon inspection, to be empty, and none of the militia’s repeated requests for replacement ammo had borne fruit—with fifteen missiles onboard. After that, he’d be down to nothing but the medium laser, plus whatever morale effect twenty tons of steel could provide.

Register