Author Topic: NEW RELEASE: BattleTech Beginner Box and BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat  (Read 106442 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Got my box set today.  I like the look of these minis.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
For any one in the UK, and possibly Europe, I have had an email saying that the release date is now 08/02/2019. The email was from the UK based webstore I preorderd from. So if that is accurate then while annoying it isnt too bad.

I read that as August 2nd, not February 8th and almost died

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Yeah, I was thinking "man, that is one chill dude, content to wait until August."

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Greatclub

• Captain
most of the world goes day/month/year.

I've seen paperwork do both in canada. I try to use TLA to designate months

one of the local gaming stores said that they expect to be able to get one restock of AGOAC - if they head to the distributor on monday. How fast is the stock going down?
« Last Edit: 26 January 2019, 20:52:36 by Greatclub »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
My local game store's distributor was already completely out yesterday.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
most of the world goes day/month/year.
Yeah I’m aware which is why my confusion was only temporary. My semester in Spain was 17 years ago now so I’m a bit rusty

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
I've seen paperwork do both in canada. I try to use TLA to designate months

I'm in Australia (dd/mm/yy), working for Americans. I try to explicitly go "12 Mar 2019" or the like. If it's files, then 2019-03-12.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

IronBat

• Recruit
I read that as August 2nd, not February 8th and almost died
Sorry for the confusion! I copied the date direct from the email without thinking.

Now based on the fact that the webstore is UK based I think it should mean 8th Feb, unless when Catalyst gave them the date it was in the US format and they didnt convert?  :o

I will use a clearer date format from now on ;).

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
No need to change to accommodate me. I’m just glad you’re not waiting seven months for your boxes  ;D

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Canadian, I prefer the dd-mm-yyyy or dd-mm-yy aspect, but often see the mm-dd-yy thing too.

What's REALLY confusing in when I see dates like:

03-06-19...and then I need to look...Is that June 3rd or March 6th

But it boils down to a smallest first/largest last, which would be the days first (smallest) month (made up of days, then year (made up of months).

It's the monster who throw ALL dating conventions out the window who write their dates:

YYYY-DD-MM

AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Greatclub

• Captain
So, the new maps; how do we all like them?

I like; the hilly one is a bit dense but still to the good.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
Waiting for the CGL store to ship mine. Four business days is typical so I assume it is will go out tomorrow or Tuesday. After that I start getting antsy

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Waiting for the CGL store to ship mine. Four business days is typical so I assume it is will go out tomorrow or Tuesday. After that I start getting antsy
I will agree with that.  They are usually 4 to 5 business days from order to ship when I've ordered physical product.  They have not disappointed me yet, so I'm optimistic.  The interesting one will be the new printing of the BattleMech Manual.  I ordered the Book/PDF combo and the book is a while out.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
The book/PDF combos have caused problems in the past, as I understand it, due to the delivery of the digital content causing the system to mark the order as completed, making it not get in the queue for physical item warehouse fulfillment.  Catalyst has said they've worked on fixing that with their fulfillment contractor. 
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
Any word on mini replacement? My Locust is missing it's right arm.
I have spoken.

BloodRose

• Sergeant
Well I went to order my box just now, after getting back from work...
All sold out. On UK release day. Great.
Are there going to be any more or is this going to be another one of CGL's "when its gone its gone" tiny run nonsense memes?
>MOC - 3rd Canopian Fusiliers         >Capellan Confederation - Holdfast Guard
>Lyrians - 5th Donegal Guard          >Free Worlds League - 1st Oriente Hussars
>Federated Suns - 2nd NAIS           >Word of Blake/Comstar - undecided unit
>Draconis Combine - 1st Genyosha  >Clan Jade Falcon - Delta Galaxy
>Escorpion Imperio - Seeker Cluster >Pirates - Harlocks Marauders
>Mercs - Roses Heavy Lancers          >Mercs - Reinhold's Raiders
>Mercs/specops - Mausers Shreckenkorps >Mercs - Idol Squadron

klarg1

• Captain
Are there going to be any more or is this going to be another one of CGL's "when its gone its gone" tiny run nonsense memes?

All comments so far have been of the form "If sales are good and sustained, they should be able to keep it in print with further production". I doubt they'll get more specific on dates or numbers for reasons of business confidentiality.

Locally, I know my FLGS got in something like 60 of them (including pre-orders), and sold the very last one Sunday afternoon. (I had a chance to nab it, but held off so a friend could get it instead. Yes, I'm a saint.  O:-) )

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
I’m not sure the box I preordered through my LGS ever arrived. Not enough stock for a minor vendor to get any, maybe? My store doesn’t sell much Battletech.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin

I think you are commenting about the sky . . . its what your local store ordered from the distributor, likely the distributor has more in stock to re-order.  For instance, I do not care what you are going to sell in the next six months the way business is organized now you order just what you need to put on the shelves.  Things are not generally kept 'in the back' any longer.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
The store i was at only had one big box and no beginners set. Hopefully more are coming.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
I think you are commenting about the sky . . . its what your local store ordered from the distributor, likely the distributor has more in stock to re-order.  For instance, I do not care what you are going to sell in the next six months the way business is organized now you order just what you need to put on the shelves.  Things are not generally kept 'in the back' any longer.

If there ever really was an "in the back". I think that was mostly an old fantasy from, like, Woolworths or something from the early 20th century.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
There really is an "in the back"... I had a retail store pull something out of there just last year (a broken display model I knew they must still have had).

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
"In the back" is the magic place customers believe in that get stories written on Not Always Right.

BloodRose

• Sergeant
I will hold my reservations. We got very few of the Lance Packs and all of those vanished fast - I think I nabbed the last Recon pack in the UK last year and theres only a few more Striker lances left, and maybe a Support pack or two and I would not be surprised to see the new intro set go the same way. One run, one delivery, missed it, oh well that was your one chance.
Its not that I want to dick all over CGL, the their propensity for only making small runs of the intro game, the lack of marketing and advertising and the lack of availability, at least over here, makes it hard to get into Battletech without using less-than-scrupulous sources at times.
Simply put there is not the availability over here that there should be. When I run a game and a few pictures get posted in groups there is always a lot of positive feedback with old timers remembering the game fondly and new blood interested in a none-GW stompy robot game, but where do I direct them if there is no intro set? Why would a player go to all sorts of obscure sights to acquire the rules and then pay through the nose for a few old sculpt figures with no real assurance of a steady player base when they can just drop a wad on the latest starter set from company X? They wont, and without a steady supply of intro sets there is no chance of getting a new community founded over here.

In all honesty I want to see this be a success for CGL getting BT up and running and easily available across the globe. I want there to be a steady production of this set, with its availability spread across the globe, easy to find and pick up. Battletech is an excellent game, but it is being stifled by poor choices. One can only hope that with MW5, MWO and PC Battletech games released we will see a resurgence of the game.

All comments so far have been of the form "If sales are good and sustained, they should be able to keep it in print with further production". I doubt they'll get more specific on dates or numbers for reasons of business confidentiality.

Locally, I know my FLGS got in something like 60 of them (including pre-orders), and sold the very last one Sunday afternoon. (I had a chance to nab it, but held off so a friend could get it instead. Yes, I'm a saint.  O:-) )
I genuinely hope so. But as I said above, prior experience has taught me not to hold my breath.

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Any word on mini replacement? My Locust is missing it's right arm.

Email store@catalystgamelabs.com
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
I will hold my reservations. We got very few of the Lance Packs and all of those vanished fast - I think I nabbed the last Recon pack in the UK last year and theres only a few more Striker lances left, and maybe a Support pack or two and I would not be surprised to see the new intro set go the same way. One run, one delivery, missed it, oh well that was your one chance.
Its not that I want to dick all over CGL, the their propensity for only making small runs of the intro game, the lack of marketing and advertising and the lack of availability, at least over here, makes it hard to get into Battletech without using less-than-scrupulous sources at times.
Simply put there is not the availability over here that there should be. When I run a game and a few pictures get posted in groups there is always a lot of positive feedback with old timers remembering the game fondly and new blood interested in a none-GW stompy robot game, but where do I direct them if there is no intro set? Why would a player go to all sorts of obscure sights to acquire the rules and then pay through the nose for a few old sculpt figures with no real assurance of a steady player base when they can just drop a wad on the latest starter set from company X? They wont, and without a steady supply of intro sets there is no chance of getting a new community founded over here.

In all honesty I want to see this be a success for CGL getting BT up and running and easily available across the globe. I want there to be a steady production of this set, with its availability spread across the globe, easy to find and pick up. Battletech is an excellent game, but it is being stifled by poor choices. One can only hope that with MW5, MWO and PC Battletech games released we will see a resurgence of the game.
I genuinely hope so. But as I said above, prior experience has taught me not to hold my breath.

Sorry that is your distributors in the UK, not Catalyst.  When you can still find the Lance Packs on sale in the States and other countries- and definitely online- several years after they were produced its not the production runs which is what Catalyst controls.  I want to say that Catalyst is now out of 2 or 3 of the Lance Packs and that was the problem with them, the lack of 'velocity of sales' which left money tied up in product that was not available for other things.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

BloodRose

• Sergeant
Sorry that is your distributors in the UK, not Catalyst.  When you can still find the Lance Packs on sale in the States and other countries- and definitely online- several years after they were produced its not the production runs which is what Catalyst controls.  I want to say that Catalyst is now out of 2 or 3 of the Lance Packs and that was the problem with them, the lack of 'velocity of sales' which left money tied up in product that was not available for other things.

But at the same time we have Warmahordes, Dark Age, Malifaux, etc. All readily available and off the shelf and not in limited supply. The Lance Packs are an example, but the other box sets suffered from a similar fate, you either got them quickly or they vanished into the aethir. The Lance Packs may have sufffered from poor sales, but can that not be put down to a lack of advertising and people simply not knowing about the game or universe? You have to remember that back then BT was still in a period of relative obscurity amongst the hobby community. Recently though we have had MWO, Battletech Online and MW5's announcement which have acted as gateways to get the universe and name out there, which will hopefully help the game sell.

But frankly a fixed and constant-running starter setwould make it a lot easier to get into the game anyway. Right now Steve and Jim might hear about this really cool mecha game but how do they get in? Well they go down to their FLGS but there are no starter sets, so they go online. A quick google reveals multiple different starter sets, all of which are either sold out or being sold for a ludicrous price, so instead Jim and Steve focus on finding the rules. A little more googling reveals a lot of different PDF's and books with different titles and things called TRO's, whilst a search on RP turns up expensive metal figures that make it look to the newbie as though they are going to have to shell out a lot for a force (remember few beginners realise you only need 4 mechs a side). So instead Jim and Steve go back to their FLGS and purchase the latest GibsmoneyWorkshop giant stompy bots starter set and start playing that instead. Not because they dont want to play BT but because it is easier to get into and readily available. And after a while they talk themselves out of wanting to play BT because they have invested too much money in GW ExpensiveStompyBotsGameTM.

Now if there was a starter set readily available in the above scenario things would be different. Jim and Steve would perhaps buy it between them and split the contentse, or buy one each. They would play a bit, have fun and then look to expand. Armed with a knowledge of what to do and where to start they would look at the factions they like, pick up the appropiate TRO's and Record Sheet packs and buy the models they are after, safe in the knowledge that they only need a few to have a force.
There, everyone wins.

Anyway, rambling tangent aside, I hope that the lightning fast sales are indicative to CGL of the games popularity and leads to them printing more sets, and opening up the market to new shores. It would be nice to have a hard copy of the rules on hand, and actual map sheets as well. Not to mention the mini's look gorgeous. I know that if they become available again over here I will be buying a copy of each.

Geont

• Master Sergeant
Well, I am still waiting as my FLGS is dealing with ADC Blackfire.

Side note:
ADC Blackfire should merge with Asmodee and is already cooperating with them. So I expect that as soon as Asmodee gets them Blackfire gets them too.
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Oh, LGS has updated date to 2.2. Wonder if that'll end up correct.

Mixed feelings. Do i go to check the store or do i stay home playing Ace Combat 7? These frustratingly difficult decisions...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
But at the same time we have Warmahordes, Dark Age, Malifaux, etc. All readily available and off the shelf and not in limited supply. The Lance Packs are an example, but the other box sets suffered from a similar fate, you either got them quickly or they vanished into the aethir. The Lance Packs may have sufffered from poor sales, but can that not be put down to a lack of advertising and people simply not knowing about the game or universe? You have to remember that back then BT was still in a period of relative obscurity amongst the hobby community. Recently though we have had MWO, Battletech Online and MW5's announcement which have acted as gateways to get the universe and name out there, which will hopefully help the game sell.

But frankly a fixed and constant-running starter setwould make it a lot easier to get into the game anyway. Right now Steve and Jim might hear about this really cool mecha game but how do they get in? Well they go down to their FLGS but there are no starter sets, so they go online. A quick google reveals multiple different starter sets, all of which are either sold out or being sold for a ludicrous price, so instead Jim and Steve focus on finding the rules. A little more googling reveals a lot of different PDF's and books with different titles and things called TRO's, whilst a search on RP turns up expensive metal figures that make it look to the newbie as though they are going to have to shell out a lot for a force (remember few beginners realise you only need 4 mechs a side). So instead Jim and Steve go back to their FLGS and purchase the latest GibsmoneyWorkshop giant stompy bots starter set and start playing that instead. Not because they dont want to play BT but because it is easier to get into and readily available. And after a while they talk themselves out of wanting to play BT because they have invested too much money in GW ExpensiveStompyBotsGameTM.

Now if there was a starter set readily available in the above scenario things would be different. Jim and Steve would perhaps buy it between them and split the contentse, or buy one each. They would play a bit, have fun and then look to expand. Armed with a knowledge of what to do and where to start they would look at the factions they like, pick up the appropiate TRO's and Record Sheet packs and buy the models they are after, safe in the knowledge that they only need a few to have a force.
There, everyone wins.

Anyway, rambling tangent aside, I hope that the lightning fast sales are indicative to CGL of the games popularity and leads to them printing more sets, and opening up the market to new shores. It would be nice to have a hard copy of the rules on hand, and actual map sheets as well. Not to mention the mini's look gorgeous. I know that if they become available again over here I will be buying a copy of each.

So, the question to me is, did you tell the store owner that you were disappointed not to find it on the shelves?  Did you ask when more boxes would be available in store?  Squeaky wheel getting greased and all but if you do not make your desire known- and likely often- then it will not happen.  Right now my group is having a similar problem since our store's distributor has quit carrying IWM.
Colt Ward